Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Courtmom

1/4 Smart dolls on the way?

Courtmom

I can still remember the sting of anger I felt when Danny showed us the "Pocket doll" back in 2016 and it turned out to be a "prank." It seems a lot of the time Danny makes things for himself and thats the end of it. That being said, I am over excited by the idea of there being 1/4 smart dolls that might actually happen!

I often find myself in a cross roads with dolls as I love BJD's but cannot maneuver/play with them the way I'd like due to benign hand tremors, and 1/3 dolls are just SO big. But seeing now that Danny might be making 1/4 dolls, both the lesser cost and the size excite me! 

Does anyone else share this excitement?

240861377_534687674312937_13422820171808161_n.jpg

• Like 2

Mizuumi-no-Otome

I'm excited to see the finished product! I tend to prefer 1/4 dolls just because they're easier to handle and carry around.

I can't imagine the price is going to be that much lower; a Standard Model MDD is only 30-ish dollars cheaper than a DDS, and a DDP is only 20$ cheaper. I'd be pretty surprised if they were anything lower than 450$ (but definitely not disappointed lol)

Edited by Mizuumi-no-Otome

marishade

I am excited as well. I have a lot of 1/3 dolls. . . They take up a lot of space and it is getting harder for me to find room for new ones. I feel the 1/4 size will be a little easier for me to justify, cheaper price point, and slightly easier to take places would be awesome.

Eiko82

I'm definitely curious to see how this project will evolve. I think 1/4 dolls are pretty cool.

Living at my place: Rise (DD Rise Kujikawa), Chie (Smart Doll Mirai) and Aisha (Smart Doll Kurenai)

Wasabi

I am really curious how this project will evolve. But as with anything that from Smart Doll that is announced early: I'm going to put my excitement on the back burner because it will likely be a year or two before this is readily available.

I'd love it if they would eventually challenge the 1/6th size again. I have tons of fashion dolls, and I'd love to dress up a mini-smart doll in all of those clothes!

• Like 1

Monty

To be fair, ‘pocket doll’ wasn’t a prank, just a concept that didn’t get realised. IIRC it was a combination of factors like not being able to get the components to look the way he wanted at that scale (things like wig fibres and clothes act and look different the smaller you go), the miniature frame being too delicate, and him shifting most of his attention to developing Cortex instead. I also vaguely remember him (or someone else??) saying that there was too much competition in the 1/6 fashion doll scale.

If he goes ahead with 1/4 I imagine the proportions may be similar to Minifee.(edit: or maybe Angelphilia?) Still, I’d wait until he actually has a proof of concept (as in more than an unfinished limbless prototype) before getting excited.

Edited by Monty

Katsudon
23 hours ago, Mizuumi-no-Otome said:

I can't imagine the price is going to be that much lower; a Standard Model MDD is only 30-ish dollars cheaper than a DDS, and a DDP is only 20$ cheaper. I'd be pretty surprised if they were anything lower than 450$ (but definitely not disappointed lol)

This kinda worries me. I know it's just speculation, but personally I would find it hard to justify spending that much on a 1/4 doll when I can get a Tinyfox fullset for less. :( I could maybe get one, but not more unless the price turns out to be lower.

(I know in the past I've said I would like a MDD, and those are quite pricey. But I only see myself getting one or two at most. I have much more interest in Smart Doll, so it'd be easy to be priced out of collecting them. And that would suck. Of course it doesn't help that Tinyfox also have tan dolls, are at a low price point, and are cute as hell! So I have a direct competitor in the same scale grabbing my attention too.)

I got 99 problems and they're ALL DOLLS! lol

• Like 1

Courtmom
On 8/28/2021 at 11:22 AM, Mizuumi-no-Otome said:

I'm excited to see the finished product! I tend to prefer 1/4 dolls just because they're easier to handle and carry around.

Honestly I see your point, but I disagree. A MDD isn't a 1/4 doll, its a 1/4 height. So while yes it is smaller, the proportions are still there to match the standard DD models. In this case, it looks like Danny is truly striving for a 1/4 dimension doll, not a 1/4 partner size. If that makes sense? I honestly do believe they should be at least $100 cheaper-- though I do expect the clothes to be the same price, if not more as tiny details are a pain in the butt-- so perhaps on par with cortex prices likely.

• Like 2

Mizuumi-no-Otome
58 minutes ago, Courtmom said:

Honestly I see your point, but I disagree. A MDD isn't a 1/4 doll, its a 1/4 height. So while yes it is smaller, the proportions are still there to match the standard DD models. In this case, it looks like Danny is truly striving for a 1/4 dimension doll, not a 1/4 partner size. If that makes sense?  

It's true that MDDs are scaled to be the younger counterpart to DD, but I'm not really sure how that would be relevant regarding the cost? Super Dollfie Midi has the same intended purpose as MDD (younger counterpart to the larger doll range), but they are nearly 300$ cheaper than Super Dollfie while MDD is only 30$ cheaper than DD. I'm guessing it's moreso that MDD just isn't small enough to lower the cost of materials and production in the same way as it is for SD/SDM, because their construction and materials are very different from DD/MDD.  

I'm definitely guessing Smart Doll Pocket will be in the 400-450$ range, which imo is a fair price for that scale. 

I'm not really thinking of Smart Doll Pocket as just "the cheaper Smart Doll" (nor do I think that's the intent behind their creation in the same way that Cortex was seemingly meant to be), rather I look at them as being intended for a different niche. If you're looking for a 1/4 doll, you're not really going to look at the price and think "Well I can get the bigger one for 50-100$ more" because you don't want a 1/3 doll in the first place. 

Edited by Mizuumi-no-Otome

Katsudon
7 hours ago, Mizuumi-no-Otome said:

I'm not really thinking of Smart Doll Pocket as just "the cheaper Smart Doll" (nor do I think that's the intent behind their creation in the same way that Cortex was seemingly meant to be), rather I look at them as being intended for a different niche. If you're looking for a 1/4 doll, you're not really going to look at the price and think "Well I can get the bigger one for 50-100$ more" because you don't want a 1/3 doll in the first place. 

That only holds true if people collect one size though. So for me, if there's not enough price difference, I'll just buy a 1/3 doll and get my 1/4s from Tinyfox. :(

I think the size difference matters less to me in vinyl, because it's lighter than resin. So 1/4 vs 1/3 isn't as much of a dilemma here.

• Like 1

Courtmom
9 hours ago, Mizuumi-no-Otome said:

My reasoning is because they will truly be using less materials on this 1/4 rather than Volks because it will be a true 1/4 doll. That being said, I don't expect them to be cheaper off the bat. But eventually I think they'll be more than a $50 difference between a 1/3 and 1/4.

Courtmom

Whelp, its been a little over year now. Does anyone know if there have been any official updates? Or still just teaser photos?

Oculae

Like many of Danny's announcements, this has gone dark. Whether that means it's been shelved, scrapped entirely, or just quietly worked on is a mystery! We won't know anything until he decides to tell us...or until the pieces start showing up in Chaos.

• Like 6

tumblr_o9govtKpFv1v9twgko1_400.gif.eae368d3c0bfc2a75087167170705ec2.gifPlease ping me when replying!