Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
aililysan

How do I buy just the dollfie dream boy body?

aililysan

I want to get the dd boy body for my doll. I don't have experience using dd choice. Can someone help explain how it works or if there is a cheaper alternative? Tnx

BeyondTime
41 minutes ago, aililysan said:

I want to get the dd boy body for my doll. I don't have experience using dd choice. Can someone help explain how it works or if there is a cheaper alternative? Tnx

Outside of Japan you will always be spending more for Dream Choice, because you need a proxy. What you probably want to do is contact a proxy and start working through the process with them. 

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

aililysan
26 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

Outside of Japan you will always be spending more for Dream Choice, because you need a proxy. What you probably want to do is contact a proxy and start working through the process with them. 

Which proxy?

BeyondTime
7 minutes ago, aililysan said:

Which proxy?

Sorry, I can’t help you there. I believe some have been brought up in other posts, so someone here should be able to point you in the right direction.

One other thing. Dream Choice will include the head, and unless I am mistaken you can’t buy a DD boy body direct from Volks any other way.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Gallye

Yeah, right now the only way to get a DDB body is to buy the whole doll. You'll get a painted head and body, a wig, a pair of eyes, and basic white underwear and t-shirt. This may change some day but I'm not holding my breath.

The 'good' news, as it were, is that there are some heads, wigs, and eyes that you can only get through Dream Choice (just like the body! hmmm!) so it's possible to get rare-ish stuff that other people may wish to buy from you.

I personally used sophiebabybear as my proxy, communicating with her through Instagram DMs, and I had a good experience. Her markup is very reasonable and the communication was also good.

aililysan
56 minutes ago, Gallye said:

Yeah, right now the only way to get a DDB body is to buy the whole doll. You'll get a painted head and body, a wig, a pair of eyes, and basic white underwear and t-shirt. This may change some day but I'm not holding my breath.

The 'good' news, as it were, is that there are some heads, wigs, and eyes that you can only get through Dream Choice (just like the body! hmmm!) so it's possible to get rare-ish stuff that other people may wish to buy from you.

I personally used sophiebabybear as my proxy, communicating with her through Instagram DMs, and I had a good experience. Her markup is very reasonable and the communication was also good.

That is a dissapointment. I kind of feel like Obitsu is the brand for me. I do not understand why it is so hard to get boy dolls in the DD world. 😕 I don't want to pay $600 for a whole doll when I already have the head, wigs, and clothes. :< It is much easier to customize with obitsu.

BeyondTime
1 hour ago, Gallye said:

That’s not a bad point. 

3 hours ago, aililysan said:

if there is a cheaper alternative? Tnx

Given Gallye’s point above you could post a Group Order / Split for a dream choice doll.

Basically, if all you want is the body you could order it with a desirable head / wig / eyes and offer the unwanted bits in a split. I think a lot of people will want one of the new boy heads / wigs, so those might be easy resells. Alternatively you can see if you can find one or more people who want to go in with you on the Dream Choice proxy order so they can obtain specific parts they want but can’t get any other way. Either way you would need to figure out how to split the cost of the doll, the proxy fee, and the shipping costs up in order to set a fair price for each part you aren’t keeping. 

aililysan
32 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

That’s not a bad point. 

Given Gallye’s point above you could post a Group Order / Split for a dream choice doll.

Basically, if all you want is the body you could order it with a desirable head / wig / eyes and offer the unwanted bits in a split. I think a lot of people will want one of the new boy heads / wigs, so those might be easy resells. Alternatively you can see if you can find one or more people who want to go in with you on the Dream Choice proxy order so they can obtain specific parts they want but can’t get any other way. Either way you would need to figure out how to split the cost of the doll, the proxy fee, and the shipping costs up in order to set a fair price for each part you aren’t keeping. 

Sorry to keep asking so many questions but how do I do the group order? I am not sure what section that is in

BeyondTime
3 hours ago, aililysan said:

Sorry to keep asking so many questions but how do I do the group order? I am not sure what section that is in

https://www.dolldreaming.com/forum/64-group-split-order-requests/

In a split you would normally figure out the total cost of acquiring the doll and then state how much you want for the various parts. You buy the doll and once it arrives people send you the money in exchange for the part they are buying. It’s a good idea to have backup buyers in case people back out after you have the doll. I once got a Sheryl Nome head in a split and there were a bunch of people ahead of me on the list for the head, so I ended up with the head because all the others ahead of me backed out. 

In a group order you find a few people who want to go in with you on the order, and their choices determine what you end up ordering. Everyone pays for their part up front. It’s more complicated because you have to find the buyers up front and then figure out the costs based on what they want. They then have to agree to the final cost, and you may end up having to find someone else and start the process over if they don’t agree.

In either case, people normally pay for the cost of shipping from you to them after their items are in your hands and ready to ship. You also need to clearly define the terms for the transaction regardless of which type you go with.

IMO a split has lower risk because you have the item in hand before anyone sends you money, but the disadvantage is that you have to pay up front and finding reliable buyers may take time, so it’s slower to recover the money you spend. Since you don’t have any trader feedback it might be easier to find people for a split, but that’s just my opinion. 

There are a few examples of splits and GO in that section, but our old forum has far more examples.

http://www.dollfiedreams.com/viewforum.php?f=36&sid=bc979f97d08f319347b2f73d2ec53a43

There is also a marketplace rules post that has a Group / Split rule.

One other option that puts the least amount of pressure on you is to post a WTB for a DDB body here: 

https://www.dolldreaming.com/forum/28-looking-for/

Someone else looking to do a Dream Choice and who doesn’t want the body may be willing to sell you a boy body and all you have to do is send them the money and wait for the body to arrive. If you’re a buyer I suggest checking a person’s feedback here, and on DOA & eBay if they have it. It’s reasonable to ask for photos of the item before sending money, and feel free to blame me for suggesting that you ask for photos and feedback links. 😉

It’s also reasonable for people to ask you for photos and feedback if you are the seller, so that cuts both ways. 

aililysan
On 8/29/2021 at 2:41 PM, BeyondTime said:

Sorry, I can’t help you there. I believe some have been brought up in other posts, so someone here should be able to point you in the right direction.

One other thing. Dream Choice will include the head, and unless I am mistaken you can’t buy a DD boy body direct from Volks any other way.

Do you know the total cost of the doll? To my understanding just the body is $600 (about) alone. It sounds expensive X<

BeyondTime
13 minutes ago, aililysan said:

Do you know the total cost of the doll? To my understanding just the body is $600 (about) alone. It sounds expensive X<

Normally a DD-f3 body is around $350, and even if the boy costs a bit more to make I would still expect it to cost under $400 for a headless body. The problem of course is you can’t buy a headless boy body. 

If someone is selling a boy body with a $200+ markup, that seems like a really bad deal to me. 

aililysan
5 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

Normally a DD-f3 body is around $350, and even if the boy costs a bit more to make I would still expect it to cost under $400 for a headless body. The problem of course is you can’t buy a headless boy body. 

If someone is selling a boy body with a $200+ markup, that seems like a really bad deal to me. 

So the entire doll is $600? I was confused about how they listed it on the website.

BeyondTime
2 minutes ago, aililysan said:

So the entire doll is $600? I was confused about how they listed it on the website.

Are you referring to the proxy’s website? I honestly don’t know what Dream Choice costs, but if its around the cost of a Volks Standard then $600 sounds about right if clothes are included. 

Tierparkzone

Official Dream Choice prices are listed here (DDSB and DDB are the final two entries - cost the same):

https://dollfie.volks.co.jp/dd/model/dreamchoice/#dc-body

These are for the complete doll (body, painted head, wig, pair of eyes + dream fitter, basic undergarment) and also include Japanese sales tax (10%). As proxies are technically regular people living in Japan, there's no avoiding the sales tax for now.

Dream Choice are a fair bit more expensive than the standard models. - Which is one of the reasons I wish they had more standard model options.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BeyondTime
28 minutes ago, Tierparkzone said:

Dream Choice are a fair bit more expensive than the standard models. - Which is one of the reasons I wish they had more standard model options.

I had never seen that price list before, but it looks like boys are priced in line with DDDy. I would think a headless boy body should cost about $360 IF Volks sold them separately. 

aililysan
1 hour ago, Tierparkzone said:

Official Dream Choice prices are listed here (DDSB and DDB are the final two entries - cost the same):

https://dollfie.volks.co.jp/dd/model/dreamchoice/#dc-body

These are for the complete doll (body, painted head, wig, pair of eyes + dream fitter, basic undergarment) and also include Japanese sales tax (10%). As proxies are technically regular people living in Japan, there's no avoiding the sales tax for now.

Ok so I guess that price is for the entire doll then.

I am unsure about it still. I really prefer obitsu over the DD body to be honest. The downside is the slight color difference when used with the DD head. Also the DD body seems more sturdy. I prefer the look of obitsu for sure and it is just way easier to buy from parabox. I dislike the limitations on making boy dolls in the vinyl doll world. It is wierd that male dolls are so plentiful in the resin bjd world but not with vinyl dolls. 😕

I agree that they should offer more standard models. They don't really have options for male dolls. I also honestly dislike the male DD choice head options too. Their eyes are too squinty and too small for their faceshape. If their faces were longer it would look better.

aililysan
32 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

I had never seen that price list before, but it looks like boys are priced in line with DDDy. I would think a headless boy body should cost about $360 IF Volks sold them separately. 

I am not sure what the DDDy is. I am not really familiar with all the models. I know DDS is the sister...

moerunamida
34 minutes ago, aililysan said:

I am not sure what the DDDy is. I am not really familiar with all the models. I know DDS is the sister...

Dollfie Dream Dynamite. She's a tad shorter than a DD, taller than a DDS and is thicker/more curves.

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

Tierparkzone
33 minutes ago, aililysan said:

I also honestly dislike the male DD choice head options too.

While heads like 25 and 26 are specifically marketed as boy heads, there's no limitation on body-head combinations. You can get any of the dream choice heads that are currently available (@jadepixel has a very nifty list here). I've seen quite a few cool boys with 09, 14 and 16 heads for example.

• Like 1

BeyondTime
3 hours ago, Tierparkzone said:

While heads like 25 and 26 are specifically marketed as boy heads

I was suggesting the new heads as being likely to find buyers. They will be rarer on the western market. 

4 hours ago, aililysan said:

I really prefer obitsu over the DD body to be honest.

Here I can’t comment. I posses very little knowledge of Obitsu. 

4 hours ago, aililysan said:

Also the DD body seems more sturdy.

The Volks body is very well made, especially the f3. I can’t contrast with Obitsu though; you’ll need someone who has experience with both for that. That said, I will say the Volks body doesn’t disappoint. 

abs2891

If a bodysuit will annoy you less than the color difference, putting an obitsu in the appropriate volks’ color suit will pretty much solve any matching issues, save the hands which well… I modded mine to use mdd hands bc I like those better anyways.

51 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

The Volks body is very well made, especially the f3. I can’t contrast with Obitsu though; you’ll need someone who has experience with both for that. That said, I will say the Volks body doesn’t disappoint. 

As some who has both, honestly I think it depends what you’re looking for/what you already have collected.  If you have DD girls than an obitsu boy is going to look small next to them but if you’re someone who also collects obitsu based girls, then you won’t have a height issue.  

From a pure mechanics standpoint both work fine.  Obitsu have more range of motion but it’s not like the f3 is bad - just really comes down to personal taste.  I will note that there’s a slight color mismatch from the parabox torso parts to the obitsu arms, but well, I just put my whole obitsu hybrid in a flesh bodysuit anyways so it never registers for me now.

When it comes to the Japanese resale market on mandarake and dollyteria, I can say that finding a headless boy f3 body is rare and if they do appear it’s going to be pricey so a successful split will probably be similar or maybe even better for you.  There is also some hope that Kaito will get released, or maybe a Len reboot?, so you could wait and see if volks does a preorder for those and try to split them too though not sure how many people would be interested.

aililysan
On 9/2/2021 at 2:47 AM, abs2891 said:

If a bodysuit will annoy you less than the color difference, putting an obitsu in the appropriate volks’ color suit will pretty much solve any matching issues, save the hands which well… I modded mine to use mdd hands bc I like those better anyways.

As some who has both, honestly I think it depends what you’re looking for/what you already have collected.  If you have DD girls than an obitsu boy is going to look small next to them but if you’re someone who also collects obitsu based girls, then you won’t have a height issue.  

From a pure mechanics standpoint both work fine.  Obitsu have more range of motion but it’s not like the f3 is bad - just really comes down to personal taste.  I will note that there’s a slight color mismatch from the parabox torso parts to the obitsu arms, but well, I just put my whole obitsu hybrid in a flesh bodysuit anyways so it never registers for me now.

When it comes to the Japanese resale market on mandarake and dollyteria, I can say that finding a headless boy f3 body is rare and if they do appear it’s going to be pricey so a successful split will probably be similar or maybe even better for you.  There is also some hope that Kaito will get released, or maybe a Len reboot?, so you could wait and see if volks does a preorder for those and try to split them too though not sure how many people would be interested.

I saw 1 male body for sale but it was $500 for just the body. I am getting sexist vibes from DDs. I feel like they're making the males seem alot more "special" just because they're male. Then again, it is a doll line...so it makes sense but still... >-<

Maybe it's just me; the reason I want the male is because most of my characters are male. I don't really like making girl characters (then maybe I'm sexist too? lol X3). I don't know why-I have just always been like that.

I am thinking of just making a custom of my doll using obitsu so the color match issue is solved. The only problem is my old obitsu body is kind of falling apart. The arms pop out of the sockets unless I use tape to reinforce them. There is also this weird bulge on the arm. I am kind of hesitant to buy a new one given that the old one is already having these issues.

I am assuming DD would have lasted longer without these issues. I wish there was a middle ground between the two brands-one that is durable like DD and cheaper/easier to customize like obitsu.

Oculae

If you're looking for cost effectiveness, you COULD just skip the boy body entirely. DD has an SS bust size that you can buy with any of their regular bodies, and that reduces the boobage down to nearly nothing with most clothing. So long as you don't plan on taking photos of him shirtless or with tight clothes, that's a very easy way to make a convincing boy.

There's also a tutorial here somewhere for putting a Parabox boy torso on a Volks MDD, if the f3 frame is what you're going for and you really want a specifically boy torso.

If you want anything bigger than 50cm unfortunately, you're stuck either paying the boy tax with Volks or Smart Doll, finding a very rare Obitsu body (as they DID make 55cm and 65cm boys a while ago), or getting creative. Boys are unfortunately something the vityl companies have determined nobody's really interested in, so those of us with boy characters to shell are pretty much at their mercy. It sucks, but it's the way of the market right now. :(

Another thing that needs to be mentioned is scale. You have a head already styled, right? Which head? Because if it's an Obitsu or Parabox head, chances are that it's going to look small on ANY DD sized body aside from the MDD. Those heads are all 1/4 scale with a few exceptions, unless you bought an original Obitsu Gretel or one of Parabox's anime sculpts. And their neck holes are MUCH bigger than a DD head, so you'd have to find a way to get it securely on the neck peg. I've done the reverse hybrid of a DD head on Obitsu loads of times, but even I haven't attempted Obitsu on DD. It's not an easy one.

EDIT: Since you mentioned your Obitsu body having problems...The arm bulge is almost definitely because some portion of the frame in there isn't installed correctly, and the arm looseness is probably because the chest frame's armholes are cracked. You can get a replacement chest frame for cheap off of Parabox or HobbySearch, and you should probably disassemble that lumpy arm first to see if something else in there is broken and needs replacing too, as well as to reseat whatever is out of place.

While their bodies are very fragile in the shoulders, ankles, and hips at the moment, they did recently announce a v2 of their frame that should fix all that. It's not out yet, but it might be worth waiting for that if you don't want to work around the current frame's fragility. At the very least it gives you an option to bail out early if the Obitsu v2 is released while you're saving up for Dream Choice, if you go that route. 😆

Edited by Oculae
extra obitsu ramblings
  • Like 2

tumblr_o9govtKpFv1v9twgko1_400.gif.eae368d3c0bfc2a75087167170705ec2.gifPlease ping me when replying!

BeyondTime
7 hours ago, aililysan said:

I saw 1 male body for sale but it was $500 for just the body. I am getting sexist vibes from DDs.

For companies like Volks it might be that there isn't enough demand for boys to make them a part of their standard product production. Producing a small quantity of parts for sale at a few locations may be the more practical model than making a large quantity for global sale, and then having them sit around for a long time. It unfortunate because people over here do want them, but there just may not be enough people to make it a possibility. Their first limited boy Len was available for sale for years after his initial release, whereas most limited girls sell out in 30 minutes. 

• Like 2

Monty
18 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

Their first limited boy Len was available for sale for years after his initial release, whereas most limited girls sell out in 30 minutes. 

To be fair, so was Rin - they were both oddly unpopular at first although Len was clearly the less popular of the two... and then flash forward to now - Kaito getting the Preorder Project by himself is really interesting, its the first time theres ever been a boy doll released on his own as opposed to alongside a girl. Part of me wonders if giving him a made to order release was specifically to get an exact number on his demand.
Maybe if he does well enough they'll sell boy bodies separately even... but at the moment I just kinda doubt boys are popular enough for them to bother really. I still hope it happens. Even if its a limited-time GL sale thing...! But thinking it's a way to make boys more special and thus sexist is quite the odd take I have to admit.

• Like 1