Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

aeris

wig noob needs help please

aeris

Hi!

I have just received a wig from Happy CamilleI had ordered from a GO.

I am not used at all with this kind of wig.

Color is what I wanted, so I am quite happy but style is not what expected. So I really would like to style it, but I have really NO experience with this.

I would say I have no experience at all, even styling real hair, all I can do is a ponytail............

One problem is the bangs are really too long. If I try to put hair on a side, wig cape is showing.

The wig itself is too long too.

I also would like to style something around the bangs.

Here is a pic of the wig without any modification, and with a little barette.

I need to try to find a pic or a drawing to show what I would like to do with.

It would be easier than my bad english I think!

EACH advice is welcome, as I know nothing.

Thank you so much in advance!

th_IMG_1749.jpg

th_IMG_1750.jpg

Home : Hitomi, Kaori, Lily, Natsuki, Kotori, Yui, Kagami, , Maya, Hana

milkytea

If you don't like the bangs pulled over to the side, you might want to trim them. It can definitely seem like a scary thing to do, but if it improves the overall look of the wig to your satisfaction, it is worth it! I have a doll whose facial shape seems to always make bangs too long, so I've done a lot of trimming.

Try to plan the style of bangs you like. Sometimes looking at other wigs, or the example pictures of what you thought the wig would look like, helps. Straight across? Slightly softened? Side-swept? That guide will help you with the right trimming. Have a plan before you pick up scissors.

Also, use sharp scissors. You don't want to catch and pull at the wig fibres, you want to cut them cleanly.

The most important part to remember is to cut only a little bit at a time. You can always trim more if that wasn't enough, but you can't add back what you've cut and wigs don't grow like real hair. n_n

The second most important thing to remember is to step back and look at your progress. When you're up close and focused on trimming and trimming, it's harder to see if you are cutting at the angle and length that you wanted. Take the time to stop, do something else, and then look at the wig. It will be easier for you to see if you've been working lop-sided or maybe cut a lot from one area and not much from the rest of the place.

There might be other styling tips that help without cutting the wig, but if you do decide to cut the wig maybe my comments will be helpful~ ♥

JChiibs

It really would be helpful to know what hair style you are hoping to end up with. Even a pic of another doll wig in the correct style would clarify what you were looking for. Also, could you post a link to the original wig that you bought so I can see how it was styled?

Do you want the hair cut straight at the bottom? What length do you want it, waist length, mid back, or shoulder length? I assume that since you bought the wig really long that you were not looking for a really short hairstyle. I have had occasional experience cutting my own hair off and on, as well as cutting two of my American Girl doll's hair into short boy styles and didn't need to replace their heads (the AG wigs are glued on.)

One of the easiest ways I know to blunt cut hair evenly is by using masking tape.

1.) Put the wig (with wig cap, etc.) on the doll's head the way you intend to have it be once it is cut. If it is crooked, too far forward or back, it will affect how it looks when it is done. Having a doll stand or a rather patient person to help your doll stand straight while you fix the hair is important to make sure the hair is cut evenly. If neither of those are available, perhaps having her sit on a backless chair and gently tying her upper legs to the chair (to stabilize her) might work too.

2.) After brushing the hair straight down so it hangs evenly all the way around, take a piece of masking tape long enough to use for marking your cutting line. Make sure that it is long enough not to shift the hair when you put the tape on it, otherwise your cutting line won't be even.

4.) Before actually placing the tape on the straight hair, make sure it is level/perpendicular with the top of the table that she is standing on. Although, if you intentionally want to cut it at a slant, slant the tape!

5.) Stick on the tape, having the lower edge be your cutting edge. Before pulling out the scissors, double check that the tape is exactly where you want it to be. Also, make sure that while you are cutting that the doll and/or the wig doesn't shift.

6.) Take a deep breath. Even after cutting my own hair and my husband's for many years, I was completely nervous the first time that I cut doll hair. Just take it slow and carefully and everything should be fine.

7.) With scissors in hand, and the blades level with the bottom of the tape, start cutting. The tape is your guide so make sure that you cut as close to it as you can without pushing it up. Don't try and cut large clumps at once, it will not cut straight. Hair is a bit strange to cut because it has the habit of pushing away from the blades that are trying to cut it. If you are right-handed, the hair will naturally shift to the left. To counter act this, as you cut, slowly pull the scissors to the right so the hairs being cut are straight up and down. Practice this with 25 hairs at a time if you want to until you get used to it. It is a bit of a 'one step forward, two steps back' kind of feeling, your mind thinks your scissors should be going forward, but it feels like you are only pulling your arm backwards. It all works out if the hairs end up being cut evenly.

8.) Once the hair is cut, double check that there isn't rouge hairs that need to be trimmed up. Carefully remove the tape, holding the hair above the tape as you pull the strip off to prevent it from pulling strands from the wig base. Brush the wig out, fluffing it a bit with your fingers, checking to see if there is any last hairs that stick out too long.

I have done this same process with bangs too, but be very, very careful not to cut them too short. Bangs always have some bounce and pull up more than hair on the rest of the head. If you want them to hang to her eyebrows, I would cut them at the length of the middle of her eyes.

It is my older sister's fault that our family has an infamous bangs cutting story. She didn't know that real hair is elastic when wet and pulled on my bangs before cutting them. This resulted in me being stuck with bangs that looked like an old worn bristle brush, a collection of approximately one inch stubble sticking straight off my forehead. When my mother asked her what happened she replied: "It looked longer in the bathroom..." Even for a grade school kid, it was mortifying being stuck with that until it grew back. Mom admitted years later that it was so bad that she didn't want to take me anywhere because of it.

Tips:

1.) Cover your doll with some fabric or clean plastic to keep the cut hairs out of her joints, kinda like the capes they use in beauty salons.

2.) Depending on how sticky the tape is, you might want to stick it to your own shirt a couple of times so the sticky stuff will still keep it in place on the wig while you need it to, but without leaving the hair tacky once the tape is removed.

3.) Use the sharpest/best pair of scissors you can find, I often use my sewing scissors to make it go as smoothly as possible.

4.) Placing a new/clean garbage bag under the doll will help make cleaning up a lot easier. Cutting hair, if it is real or fake, is messy because the strands are so small.

5.) Wear easily washable clothes, because getting 3mm long hairs stuck in the fabric gets itchy!

6.) Watch hair cutting videos on somewhere like YouTube if you need additional encouragement. I know for me sometimes that too much info can discourage me too, so everything in moderation.

7.) It is better to cut it a little longer and having to trim it up later than cutting it too short and having to replace the wig.

8.) If by chance the hair cutting job is a complete fail (don't sneeze with scissors in your hands! ), the worst that has happened is you will need to get another wig, leaving you with an extra to either have an alternate hair style for, an extra wig for another doll, or something to practice hair cutting with.

~Sister Kyoya

12926590414_996a8b87ea_o.png

Forum Blog: Badger Pocket Tales (Family story from the beginning) | { Old Family story reboot: Start Here! }

Follow me on Twitter, Flickr & Instagram

Traveller

I wish this info was avaible when I asked about syling the wig I brought from Alice Collection, but It took me 2-3 days to get it right.

The Wig i brought from Happy Camille last year for Sae didn't need styling and she is an 03 head. The front curved just at the right angle/height and was very happy.

Maybe I was just lucky.

aeris

I bump this thread because finally I got the wig with the color I wanted. Yeah!

Now I need to style it and...well I can't.

I would like to curl it a little, especially at the bottom.

I tried hair curlers, wet the wig, and let it dry, 2 times. But no curl at all

The wig is heat resistant from leeke, but I have to admit I am a bit afraid to put her under the hairdryer. I did it just a little and after I let the wig dry by itself.

I also would need to cut it, but I think it is better to do curls before as hair will be shorter after.

Thank you in advance for any help!

aeris

I allow myself to bump this as I am still looking for a way to curl a little the wig.

Actual wig is a Leekeworld LR-001

I would like something more similar to Volks DD W-121D shaggy curl

Thank you in advance for any help

JChiibs

I also would be very interested in how to curl the Leekeworld heat-resistant wigs. I do know for a fact though that you can use a curling iron on them, but even so the curl doesn't stay. I used my normal curling iron to straighten out Rainie's hair after I took the braids out and it worked wonderfully for this, but I have still to figure out how to permanently curl these wigs. I have thought about making my own wigs from the supplies they sell, but I don't want to be stuck with just straight hair.

~Sister Kyoya

12926590414_996a8b87ea_o.png

Forum Blog: Badger Pocket Tales (Family story from the beginning) | { Old Family story reboot: Start Here! }

Follow me on Twitter, Flickr & Instagram

Amara77

Ok it depends on how brave, and patient you are.

I did this to one of my dolls and I still think she's got the best hair! Spray it, or gel it!

I used the boil perm technique (dip it in boiling, then icy cold). Then, after it dried I unrolled it sprayed it with hair spray, all over so it was hard to the touch in, then rolled it back in the curlers.

I let it sit for a while longer until it was completely dry and gently brushed it out with a wire brush.

Maybe if you have an old wig you could test it out first?

If I get a chance I will post a pic.

Since it is heat resistant it could be like my own hair, which is curl resistant

What I do to curl it is pin it up after its been curled this seems to help A LOT (do have picture proof of this,as it is a small miracle)

I of course put a lot of hair product in, but it seems less daunting to maybe just curl it and pin it up tightly for a few days and see if that works.

http://amara77.wordpress.com blog and shop

Spoke too soon....