Chise

Testament

Kizuna & Chitose

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
chef_mai

Do Obitsu bodies stain less readily?

chef_mai

I got my first 1/3rd scale girl in earlier this week.

Something that surprised me is the material. The bust and torso are made of soft vinyl, but the limbs are made of something harder and more rigid than expected. I was further surprised that the hands & feet were made of a hard, scratchy plastic, as opposed to the soft material the little 1/6 Obitsus use for those bits.

This leads me to a couple questions.

1) Is this harder material less prone to staining?

2) Do you recommend washing clothes before using them? I'm mainly sticking to official Azone stuff at the moment.

3) Is the entire outer shell of DDs made of the soft stuff? 

hellFlower

1) I'm not sure if the harder vinyl is also harder to stain, but what I have noticed is that when it does get stained, it's been easier to remove than the stains my Volks vinyls have gotten. Like, with a bit of elbow grease I can buff it out with a magic eraser kind of easier.

2) I don't think washing is necessary, though I do do it myself. Though it's less about staining, and more about making the clothes look a little worn.

3) The DD vinyl isn't as soft as the Obitsu torso vinyl, it's about in between the hard vinyl of the limbs and the torso. Maybe a little softer? I'm not sure what head your girl has, but the Obitsu 50-04 head (and I imagine any head Obitsu casts would be very similar) has about the same squishiness to it that the DD parts do.

• Like 1

chef_mai

Thanks! It's pretty reassuring that the stains can be removed via other means than the more laborious cream/light method I've seen.

She's got a Dollce head right now. It's fairly hard material, and I'm guessing, pretty similar to the Obitsu head.

Tierparkzone

1) There are two different ways, manufacturers can adjust the hardness of vinyl parts.

One is changing the pore size, with smaller pores resulting in harder vinyl - which also is a bit more stain resistant. That's what you find on Smart Dolls, with harder body shells and softer bust and hand parts.

The other method is changing the thickness of the cast, so parts with a thickness of around 1mm feel much softer than ones with let's say 3mm. However, this doesn't affect stain resistance at all.

To my knowledge, Obitsu usually tends to do the adjustments by thickness, not by pore size. So your new doll most likely doesn't have spots where it is particularly vulnerable or particularly resistant to staining.

2) If I get darker clothes from a manufacturer I'm not yet familiar with, I tend to try washing them with cool water and a dash of laundry agent. If the water becomes all murky, that's definitely an indicator for unsettled dye in the fabric (big stain hazard before washing and likely not entirely safe afterwards). If the water remains mostly clear, the clothing item is probably fine (at least for short time).

Stain testing with some scrap vinyl over a couple of days tends to give more reliable results, though.

That said, I didn't have any staining issues with any of my (few) dark Azone 50 clothes yet. They seem to do a decent job when selecting their fabrics and threads.

3) DDs (at least the current f3 versions) use the same type of vinyl for their whole outer shell - with only minor variation in thickness. So they feel semi-soft...

If you're worried if they're more prone to staining, in my experience DDs and Obitsus are about the same.

• Thanks 2

Yumeiro
7 minutes ago, Tierparkzone said:

If you're worried if they're more prone to staining, in my experience DDs and Obitsus are about the same.

I'm glad to finally have a proper answer - thank you!

And to hijack the thread with another question I've been trying to get answers on: Does Angel Philia have all the same properties as Obitsu (other than appearance)?

Tierparkzone
8 hours ago, Yumeiro said:

Does Angel Philia have all the same properties as Obitsu (other than appearance)?

For all I know, they should have.

Except: Soft skin APs have very thin (and thus very soft) shell parts for bust, torso and thighs. This allows the vinyl to shift out of the way when moving - allowing for a somewhat increased motion range. In turn the shifted vinyl can crumple as long as the pose is held, which may look odd if not covered up by clothes. Stuffing the AP soft skin parts (e.g. with polyester wool) helps with this.

Yumeiro

@Tierparkzone Thanks.
Yeah, but I mean in terms of the vinyl, or well, related to the topic. Same stuff, even if it's thinner/a different mold?

Tierparkzone

Ah - ok! Yes it does seem to be the same Vinyl formulation for Obitsus and APs, just thinner.

So staining behaviour should be about the same as well. You just want to avoid stains in the pre-blushed AP parts, as any stain treatment (apart from letting it diffuse over time) will likely nuke the blushing as well...

• Thanks 1