The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

puxlavoix

SOLVED - Help styling a wig permanently?

puxlavoix

Hello guys!

I need your help and knowledge because I have this wig that I really really wanna keep a certain way but other than using some hairpins to hold it in place I wonder if there's any way to just make it hold it like forever.

The wig has no bangs whatsoever very thick and heavy and has a predefined side line... So, Im arranging the front hair all the way sideways to form a fringe and then around to the back where im pinning it to the rest of the hair (please see pics if that doesn't make any sense lol).

Now, while i can manage to keep all the strands that shape the fringe togheter using a lot of gel, waterwax or hairspray on it, it just likes to return to its original place in the front because how thick and heavy the wig is... even with the hairpin it will slowly slide back.  I figured that maybe theres some glue or something that will keep the desired look -albeit hardened- while holding it? Or maybe sew it in place... or a mix of both or something entirely different that could be done? 

Any suggestion will be appreciated 

Screenshot_20211230-023657_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211230-023709_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211230-023644_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211230-023727_Gallery.jpg

Edited by puxlavoix

1505193317_sig1copy.png.892dcb9d95734be68d4282d5f06843bb.png1495205582_sig2copy.png.b9f2cb50f3c66e638bd5c8a75bd10688.png

MagicalRozen

Back when I styled a wig for a doll whose character had gravity-defying hair I ended up using gel. But I specifically had to look for a gel with a crazy strong hold because other gels would loosen over time, much like how you're describing. I recommend Got2b Ultra Glued Invincible Styling Hair Gel. It held my synthetic wig for my girl extremely well. Like I'm talking years. 😂

Worst comes to worst if it doesn't work for you you can take synthetic wig shampoo and wash it out and then try sewing the wig in place. I would take small amounts of thread and sew the wefts in place right at the wig cap. I have no experience sewing a wig but that's what I would try should the gel fail.

Khepra, Ginkgo, TamakiDelilah, HimikoRin, And Others That May Come And Go.

BeyondTime
11 hours ago, puxlavoix said:

I need your help and knowledge because I have this wig that I really really wanna keep a certain way but other than using some hairpins to hold it in place I wonder if there's any way to just make it hold it like forever.

If it’s heat resistant you can use the same styling tools people use on real hair, but if it’s not heat resistant then you can’t apply hot metal directly to the fibers. You can sometimes find 1/3 scale hair clips on Etsy, but you probably need the ones that are real bobby pins, just mini versions. They tend to be really strong so you have to pull them open a bit to remove them. Just search for “doll hair pins” and you should find options.  

I’m definitely not an expert on styling hair or doll wigs, but I would think the best thing to do is find out how a real person would hold that hairstyle in place. For your little mini model of a person you want to do the same thing so she looks authentic. The issue I see in that photo isn’t that you’re styling it wrong, but rather the use of a giant hairpin looks like a kludge, and they may not hold tight enough since they’re aimed at real hair. Mini doll hairpins or other styling clips may get you what you want, hold it in place for a long time, and make her look good doing it.  

I’ve found mini hair clips on Amazon, but you have to be careful with size in the various styles, since those are meant for people to use on braids. Some look good at 1.5 cm, and some can’t be bigger than 1 cm. 

I kind of don’t recommend glue or sewing just because as you move her, change her clothes, or change and adjust her wig, the strands may get pulled loose. At that point you won’t be able to fix it if the solution is permanent.

• Like 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Bellatrix

I agree with @MagicalRozen's suggestion. That gel is bulletproof.
On the other hand, unless you are very skilled at using it, you may face strands of hair glued together unevenly, and a final result that's all but nice looking.

When I have a wig that's difficult to style, I either replace it (easy peasy super lazy), or........... I just use a styling technique that involves a small amount gel, water and a comb (which you did already) plus a different kind of pins, like this one: 

71OENr-t1PS._AC_UL320_.jpg

They are ugly AF, I agree, but if you have enough patience to style the wig in a way that hides the pin & pose the doll in a certain way, you can easily conceal the pin and achieve your wished outcome without damaging the wig/changing the original style permanently.

In your case (a pretty basic hairstyle, despite the naughty wig), that's exactly would I would use. They hold pretty firmly.

Good luck! <3

P.S. you Beatrice is stunning......... <3<3<3 please say hello from me!

• Like 1

df64a03a777dc9f9a060ef6b286773b3-1.gif    ✩ 𝓥𝓲𝓬𝓽𝓲𝓶 𝓸𝓯 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓑𝓮𝓵𝓵𝓪𝓭𝓸𝔁 ✩

Mizuumi-no-Otome

I think it would be a little easier to keep this shape if you started by dipping the top of the wig into some hot water (not boiling, just pretty hot) and then put a cello over it while it dries, to train the hair to permanently lay in that direction- preferably this would be done on a blank head or something shaped like a DD head so that you can leave it for an extended period of time to dry, I tend to do all of my styling on a bait head so that I'm not touching my DD heads too much. 

I usually make cellos with a plastic bag and some tape, and they're pretty useful at keeping hair organized and helping to train it into specific shapes that would otherwise require a bunch of heat/manipulation! 

However as other people have said, after you have the hair trained to lay that way, you would still likely need a clip or some product to keep it pinned away from her eyes! You could also tie it back with a clear elastic if you're not interested in using a clip, or a piece of thread that matches her hair color (perhaps anchored into the wig cap to prevent it from moving around too much).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

puxlavoix
On 12/30/2021 at 11:05 AM, MagicalRozen said:

Back when I styled a wig for a doll whose character had gravity-defying hair I ended up using gel. But I specifically had to look for a gel with a crazy strong hold because other gels would loosen over time, much like how you're describing. I recommend Got2b Ultra Glued Invincible Styling Hair Gel. It held my synthetic wig for my girl extremely well. Like I'm talking years. 😂

Thanks for the suggestion! I actually hadn’t thought about using gel haha, it really looks like it has the ability to lock it in place! And also its available in my country, so I'll give it a try! I just hope she doesn't end with lifetime bad hair lol.

On 12/30/2021 at 11:05 AM, MagicalRozen said:

I would take small amounts of thread and sew the wefts in place right at the wig cap. I have no experience sewing a wig but that's what I would try should the gel fail.

That's actually what I kind of had in mind when I posted here but unfortunately couldn’t begin to figure out how if I tried. Maybe ill give it a try if ALL the other suggestions fail.

On 12/30/2021 at 1:40 PM, BeyondTime said:

If it’s heat resistant you can use the same styling tools people use on real hair, but if it’s not heat resistant then you can’t apply hot metal directly to the fibers. You can sometimes find 1/3 scale hair clips on Etsy, but you probably need the ones that are real bobby pins, just mini versions. They tend to be really strong so you have to pull them open a bit to remove them. Just search for “doll hair pins” and you should find options.  

I’m definitely not an expert on styling hair or doll wigs, but I would think the best thing to do is find out how a real person would hold that hairstyle in place. For your little mini model of a person you want to do the same thing so she looks authentic.  

I’ve found mini hair clips on Amazon, but you have to be careful with size in the various styles, since those are meant for people to use on braids. Some look good at 1.5 cm, and some can’t be bigger than 1 cm. 

Lots of suggestions right there BeyondTime! Actually being a short haired guy I have absolutely no idea how to go about styling real hair of such length, but it makes a damn lot of sense to take a real life aproeach! Maybe the first option is try what MagicalRozen suggested and begin with a really strong gel for that matter.

The wig is indeed heat resistant (Himekazura heat resistant) and got a "DD sized" curling iron so I may actually give it a try and combine it with the gel and the pins.

On 12/30/2021 at 1:40 PM, BeyondTime said:

The issue I see in that photo isn’t that you’re styling it wrong, but rather the use of a giant hairpin looks like a kludge, and they may not hold tight enough since they’re aimed at real hair. Mini doll hairpins or other styling clips may get you what you want, hold it in place for a long time, and make her look good doing it.

I know they're a real eyesore :eek: and they just slide off the hair after a short period of time unless I use 5-6 of them but they become way too obnoxious to the eye I think maybe because they’re just the pretty basic black metal ones for real hair, so I'm looking into the mini option size as I write this because if I manage to get the style right with the hair curl I think those will come in VERY handy, and might actually like the look of them.

Thanks a bunch for ALL the suggestions!

On 1/9/2022 at 8:49 AM, Bellatrix said:

I agree with @MagicalRozen's suggestion. That gel is bulletproof.

And thats another vote for the Got2b gel, don’t need to hear more! Also getting it right now, I hope its really worth it cause its gonna set me back like 20 bucks!

On 1/9/2022 at 8:49 AM, Bellatrix said:

They are ugly AF, I agree,

Yup! can't argue with that  :lol: 

Wait there’s somebody here that also wants to say hello:

787444075_ScreenShot2022-01-13at1_52_44.png.3d1ce93b028b3017252e273a52cc4a8a.png

HI <3! Puxlavoix is taking good care of me Mom, Im flying back the moment he doesnt!

Edited by puxlavoix
  • Like 2

1505193317_sig1copy.png.892dcb9d95734be68d4282d5f06843bb.png1495205582_sig2copy.png.b9f2cb50f3c66e638bd5c8a75bd10688.png

puxlavoix
On 1/9/2022 at 11:29 AM, Mizuumi-no-Otome said:

I think it would be a little easier to keep this shape if you started by dipping the top of the wig into some hot water (not boiling, just pretty hot) and then put a cello over it while it dries, to train the hair to permanently lay in that direction- preferably this would be done on a blank head or something shaped like a DD head so that you can leave it for an extended period of time to dry, I tend to do all of my styling on a bait head so that I'm not touching my DD heads too much. 

I usually make cellos with a plastic bag and some tape, and they're pretty useful at keeping hair organized and helping to train it into specific shapes that would otherwise require a bunch of heat/manipulation! 

However as other people have said, after you have the hair trained to lay that way, you would still likely need a clip or some product to keep it pinned away from her eyes! You could also tie it back with a clear elastic if you're not interested in using a clip, or a piece of thread that matches her hair color (perhaps anchored into the wig cap to prevent it from moving around too much).

I'm kind of familiar with the hot water method, which i found out about by accident and almost ruined a very expensive wig! Thing is I really really lack the patience to do it but fortunately I got a hand size curling iron which I think will do the trick as others suggested.

Thank you!

BeyondTime
On 1/12/2022 at 11:58 PM, puxlavoix said:

And thats another vote for the Got2b gel, don’t need to hear more! Also getting it right now, I hope its really worth it cause its gonna set me back like 20 bucks!

I went ahead and got some for Sakura Shinguji’s side tails, because they are always separating. I basically put a drop on my fingers, smeared it between two of them and then slid my fingers down her hair and shaped it. Seems to have worked great and not a lot of extra residue. As it dried it became pretty clear that I could have done a flying nun type thing with those twin tails, and I’m pretty sure that gel would hold them like that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

puxlavoix

A quick update in case you're wondering what route I went with Beato's hair: 

I tried ALL the suggestions before settling on what would be the most unthinkable and difficult at least for me: I tried the mini doll pins, the mini bobby pins and even mini size clips,the gel, and a mix of both the gel and the clips.  None of them had the strength to keep it in place and i guess that’s more related to the sheer amount of hair this particular wig has which is close to an inch thick in a pony tail and also its got a very silky (slippery?) texture to it which didn’t help matters at all. The pins and clips either slid down the hair or just plain wouldn’t stay close at all. The gel was a very nice choice but it made the fringe heavier to hold at the back.

So I thought I'd give it a try sewing all that flat portion of the hair toghether and then in turn just sew it again at her back but as I moved forward figured that maybe I could hide it beneath the hair itself and thats just what I did. I knew before hand that my sewing skills are very basic but  i knew i had to use something to sew the hair to so i went with a piece of cotton fabric from an old shirt and just made sure that every stitch was TIGHT.

1.png

2.png

Theres a LOT of hair strands in this wig

3.png

Piece of cotton to sew it all to

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

8.png

The portion of the hair covering the whole thing is so thick and heavy that nothing pokes out and can still be brushed

9.png

Quick pic of Beato all happy now that her hair will stay in place so she can move freely without worries 

I really surprised myself how good and neat it came out in the end @onion25@. Just gonna add some glue to the places where both portions of the hair are sewn to the hair to make sure they never ever slip.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys, I couldn’t had come up with this if without your help <3

Edited by puxlavoix
  • Like 5

Bellatrix

Holy moly, she looks stunning! Your sewing skills were more than enough to achieve a beautiful result! The most intriguing part is that the "fix" is totally invisible, so kudos to you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

df64a03a777dc9f9a060ef6b286773b3-1.gif    ✩ 𝓥𝓲𝓬𝓽𝓲𝓶 𝓸𝓯 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓑𝓮𝓵𝓵𝓪𝓭𝓸𝔁 ✩

BeyondTime

Nice job, she looks great. 

• Thanks 1