Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Lochy

SOS! Disassembling a DDy2?

Lochy

I really need some help and asap! I recently sold my DDy2 and all was well until the buyer asked if anything was wrong with her right joint. I have always handled my doll very well so I thought nothing was wrong, but I went to take a closer look. It does appear that something is off, the leg is not flush to the knee like the other one. I gently tried to give it a little push in but nothing seems to make a difference. I have never fully taken apart a doll and I would be worried too, but looking at armatures of DDy2s online, I might need to take off her leg to take a look, it seems like there is more going on underneath than I had thought.

There aren't any videos online that I could find and I am in a panic!

I am sorry I am a total doll noob, but I really need to know if anything is broken so I can give a refund if that is the case! (Buyer is aware of markings on the back of the legs!)

spacer.png

spacer.png

baldylox

You've either got to push that bit back up into the frame thigh piece or you have to take the thigh off and see if the small screw has come out of the frame in there that holds that piece in.   Either way it's a relatively easy fix so don't worry.  :)  Just use a hair dryer or heat gun to warm up the vinyl when taking the vinyl shell off the frame and it should slide right off easily.

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Lochy

@baldylox Thank you so much for the advice, I had tried to take the whole leg out of the socket but it seemed like I was pushing it too much :') If its not too much trouble could you please give me a step by step. It would be a total life saver

Lochy

I assume its the screw because the thigh is in tight!

baldylox

Basically that piece that is loose has dropped the screw out after moving it over time.  It happens quite often on the older bodies.  The easiest way to fix it is with a hair dryer or heat gun.  All you need to do is warm up the area at the knee so that it becomes squishy and pliable.  Once that happens then pull that loose shin piece out by holding it firmly and holding the thigh firmly and slowly twisting and pulling.  It should pop right out.

Once that's done inspect it for any damage.  Then you're going to have to take off the thigh from the lower body frame.  This can sometimes be really easy or really hard.  Normally just gripping the top of the thigh and twisting while pulling will get it to come off.  But if it's being stubborn you'll need to heat the joint where the leg socket goes into the frame peg so it's easier to pull loose.  Once the thigh is off the body then use the heat to warm up the open end at the top and pull the frame piece out.

See if the screw or nut/bolt is in there anywhere.  If not you'll have to find one to fit back into the hole the lower leg came out of.  Once you have one then screw it back together.  Then take the shin vinyl off the lower leg and insert the entire leg frame into the thigh vinyl thru the big hole in the top and push it back to where it needs to be.  You'll probably have to reheat the top and bottom holes of the thigh vinyl to get the frame back in place.  Once you do that then put the whole leg back on the frame ( you might need to muscle it back on while twisting ) and put the shin back on along with the foot.

If you take the frame part out and the parts are still screwed together but the peg from the shin has pulled out of the socket in the knee area then simply push them back together and then put the frame back inside the leg.  If that's not it and something else is broken then it's time to take pics of all the parts and post them here to see if we can help.

Billy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Lochy

@baldylox Thank you so much for the advice you are a saint <3 As an update, I did go ahead and refund the buyer and cancelled the order. I informed them of the leg issue to be fully transparent and they in return asked for a considerable amount taken off (of an already greatly discounted price). I knew I would feel better if I just kept her and sorted the situation out first before trying to sell her again. And who knows! Maybe this is fate that she stays with me...

Thank you again so SO much, I will definitely try the repair and let you know how it goes! 

• Like 2

Lochy

Another update: they told me some not so nice words :') I still believe I did the right thing by canceling until I can fix this issue! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

ragnamuffin
21 minutes ago, Lochy said:

Another update: they told me some not so nice words :') I still believe I did the right thing by canceling until I can fix this issue! 

I think you did the right thing by canceling the sale. Why would you want to do business with someone who tried to lowball your already respectable offer when you were just being honest, and then tried to berate you when you refunded their money? You deserve better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Lochy
20 hours ago, ragnamuffin said:

I think you did the right thing by canceling the sale. Why would you want to do business with someone who tried to lowball your already respectable offer when you were just being honest, and then tried to berate you when you refunded their money? You deserve better.

Exactly, she tried guilt tripping me too after being so rude when all I was doing was being transparent. She claimed "I didn't ask for a refund, I asked for a discount,"😖 I am glad the situation was avoided all together, I wouldn't want my girl going to her as an owner anyway!

• Like 3

TomatoCultivator

I completely agree, you did everything right!As a buyer, I would have been impressed with the above and beyond effort you made, and even if I asked for a discount would have understood pulling the listing in light of the new information.You never know what kind of claims could have been made after the fact even though you were transparent up front.