Jezrah

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Kizuna & Chitose

Baldylox

Monty

Manga about Dolls

Monty

Recently I’ve become interested in manga about dolls - specifically ones related to the actual hobby rather than fantasy that happen to feature dolls such as Rozen Maiden.

For example, yesterday a new manga started in Manga Time Kirara - a magazine that typically features ‘cute girls doing cute things’ style manga. It’s called ‘Takase-san wa DoruKatsu ni muchuu desu’ (Takase is obsessed with doll activities/the doll life’). It mainly caught my attention because famous faceup artist Renya designed the main doll in it, which is modelled on a Kumako Egg. 

I thought others might be interested in it, although I haven’t read it myself yet. I have to admit that while the art is cute, it’s a little on the generic side for me, especially because the human girl looks far too similar to the doll (which begs the question - in-universe would that doll be considered ‘anime style’ or realistic?). I wonder if it will popular enough to get an anime adaptation, or a collab doll? It might be a cute read either way. apparently it will be a romantic comedy about doll owners.

Meanwhile, there’s an ongoing twitter webcomic causing a buzz recently called ‘Ojisan ga Doll Shuumi ni Mezameru Hanashi’, (Story of an Older Guy Awakening to the Doll Hobby). A 36 year old salary man (he does not look 36 lol but maybe the work life has aged him) by chance discovers an auction for a custom doll and is captivated. I really love the depiction of his facial expressions and his emotions, extremely relatable lol. I’m already very invested.

In the second instalment, he finds out more about the hobby while waiting for his doll to arrive, and the excitement even changes him into a kinder person. Although, when the package arrives…turns out he didn’t read the fine print and got something a little different (and smaller) than expected. Can’t wait for part 3.

I’ve been working on a webcomic about dolls myself on and off for a few years now, although it’s still a while before it’s ready. Seeing these two comics makes me eager to work on it more.

• Like 2

CreationOdyssey

I saw the first one you mentioned on Twitter the other day and instantly put it on the Seven Seas Survey will probably send a request to Yen Press as well!! Would really love for it to be licensed in English it seems super cute

maboree

I'd love to read more stories about dolls. One of my favorites about dolls has been Angelic Layer (nostalgia!!!), but there are other ones out there with doll-like androids, such as in Handmaid May, Buso Shiki and then the anime Frame Arms Girl(?) which saw a release of the official Smartdoll Gourai. I've never seen the last anime, but thought it was cool that Gourai was based on a mechadoll/ anime. 

• Like 1

battrastard

I haven't read any of the above, but I have bought the Busou Shinki and Frame Arms Girl on Blu-Ray thru Amazon. (Also, Unbreakable Machine Doll, but I don't know if that's on-topic)

My opinion only here, yours may vary: I enjoyed both Busou Shinki and Frame Arms Girl, but, I seemed to realize that FA is more of a parallel/knock-off of BS. (but with a lot more booty-shots/fan-service) Also, in FA, you'll see a few nods to Danny Choo, due to a Mirai Suenaga Figma in some background scenes. 

Handmaid May and Angelic Layer are ones I'd like to see and possibly get in the future, though. 

Acrylic Eyes was another American Webcomic about BJDs, but I'm not sure if she's still posting new content or not anymore. 

"Madness takes it's toll, Please have exact change!"

DreamsicleDollAqua

One of my favorites is the korean horror movie The Doll Master. Its actually really interesting and the main character is a girl who talks to her bjd. I love doll themed movies and shows. 

Also @Monty thanks for the great webcomic recc. Loved reading it.

finnleo
7 hours ago, battrastard said:

Busou Shinki and Frame Arms Girl on Blu-Ray thru Amazon. (Also, Unbreakable Machine Doll, but I don't know if that's on-topic)

My opinion only here, yours may vary: I enjoyed both Busou Shinki and Frame Arms Girl, but, I seemed to realize that FA is more of a parallel

Busou shinki and Frame arms girl(s) are both Fumikane Shimada designed series, other favorites from the guy included Girls and Panzer, and everybodys fanservice favorite Stricke Witches (I still find it amusing they nixed the skirts from the protoype going into the first anime season) and also Sky Girls, if you want to recall that far back.

As a side note the latest iteration to the kotobukiya 1/12 scale mecha girls from shimada is "30MS / 30 minute sisters." which is again a bit of a rehash.

Machine doll is a bit of a edge case, because Yaya, and company are sentient automata, but its done to the degree where its just a plot point for having a character have superpowers, perhaps a bit more down to earth approach would be Kamisama Dolls where the automata are quite more crude in appearance.

the android angle with Metropolis, Hand maid May/Mai, Steel angel Kurumi, Chobits, etc. is a bit of a pondering one, again related to Machine doll that is it just a easy plot device to have a character have superpowers, but again something in this niche thats a bit more down to earth in my oppinion was Time of Eve, which might be a bit weird for some folk.

Edited by finnleo
  • Like 1