Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
Resilient

Vinyl and staining

Resilient

Hi,

I bought a cocoa and a cinnamon doll and I’ve been exhibiting them with their clothes on for two days now. The cinnamon one is wearing her original dark purple underwear and the cocoa one has a Kelly green tshirt on and a pair of jeans with white protection leggings under her pants. I was also thinking of making her wear Culture Japan’s grey undies with her regular clothes. I’m ready to believe that dark colours stain easier but can bright and pale colors have the same effect? How much time is it going to take to make the dark colors stain?

I live in a temperate country and I don’t turn the heating on very often in my recreation/work room but I do turn it up often in the bedroom because it’s winter. I’m thinking of putting them in that room sometimes because I’d like that option.

Also, now that I’m remembering, I bought the plastic high heels shoes sold on the official website and I was wondering if their color might transfer onto the doll’s skin after a prolonged wearing time ? I have two pairs in yellow and pink. Will the shoes made out of fabric stain as well?

So much to consider. Why is owning a Smart Doll so complicated? Why is vinyl so susceptible to staining?

If someone can give me a clear picture of what to expect I would gladly read their comments.

Thanks

Resilient

Tierparkzone
1 hour ago, Resilient said:

I’m ready to believe that dark colours stain easier but can bright and pale colors have the same effect?

Staining is usually caused by dye in the clothing fabric seeping into the pores of the vinyl. A deep bright color can still mean a high amount of dye and stain risk - but stains may not be as visible if they get "overshadowed" by the vinyl's own color. A pale color usually means a low concentration of dye, so not much material that can cause stains (and therefore likely safe).

How much time is it going to take to make the dark colors stain?

That depends on fabric, dye, the vinyl itself, and many environmental factors. Some stuff may stain on contact, some after a few minutes or hours, some will only become an issue if worn for months, and some dark fabrics may still not stain at all. Best to keep a bit of scrap vinyl around for stain testing clothes you're unsure about.

If you have mostly clothes from the Smart Doll store, best check their listings. They have a stain risk rating for each clothing item. Anything with a "low" should cause you no issue at all. Anything with "medium" should be fine with a bodysuit underneath.

I bought the plastic high heels shoes sold on the official website and I was wondering if their color might transfer onto the doll’s skin after a prolonged wearing time ?

These are made of vinyl, right? Then the pigment for them should be "baked" into the plastic, not dyed afterwards. I don't think there are staining issues with these, just as two vinyl dolls holding hands doesn't cause staining between them.

Why is vinyl so susceptible to staining?

Don't be too scared of stains (although I can understand the feeling when just starting out). Try to keep the face/head (or any other painted bits) stain free. All other parts can always be treated somewhat easily, if necessary.

• Like 3

Rajke

By culture Japan I (knocking of on wood) haven’t had any stains caused by the outfits made by them.

I do wash all clothing before using them.

Plastic can stain, depends on the type of paint. My girls are wearing PLA bracelets in blue without problems. With my project Karos I have tested some paints and I know that only the gold and black paint is staining. It really depends on the type of paint that is used.

Best tip I can give you is to have a small part of scrap vinyl for stain testing.

@onion20@   This is a signature.

Xiongmao

I've not seen any staining on my girls after the incident when Towa got something on her hands a couple of years back.

I think humidity is a major issue, and also letting the dolls stand or sit against a surface for an extended period of time.

Bodysuits are good too, although if you're into Dollfies there seems to be a bit of a bodysuit shortage of late.

My-Dollfie-Family-1.jpg.e6aebba92625a31e1c84b926ff77538a.jpgMy-Dollfie-Family-2.jpg.95bc157433d217127edf2a0db4922ef1.jpg 

No more dolls... buys more dolls.

ragnamuffin

I made a post about this back when I first joined the forums. I started the thread with my Obitsu in mind (who hasn’t stained in all this time as far as I can tell), but the advice also applies to DDs and presumably SmDs as well.

Note that practically anything can stain your doll—the dark clothing you had on her for a few minutes, the surface you laid her down on for a few seconds, the invisible dye on your hands from handling the clothes. It’s bound to happen at some point no matter how careful you are, so just embrace it.

• Like 1