Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

RiverRealms

Hello fellow doll people

RiverRealms

Hi Everbody,

Name's River, I've been in the resin BJD hobby since about 2010 but over the years I found that I loved the bigger dolls, but not their weight, the stringing and I kinda prefer the feel of vinyl, so here I am!

For now I am vinyl less but I am getting close to my savings goal for ordering my first Smartdoll and then the journey truly begins, and the wallet will forever weep.

I can join the club of autistic doll collectors with all of the pros and cons that come with it. I struggle a bit with energy so posts from me will come when energy levels allow. I always check notifications and will generally reply fairly quickly, as in usually within 24 hours. It's just starting new posts that can be a challenge hence why I've been a member for about a month before posting here 😅

Looking forward to getting to know all of the lovely collectors on here 🙂

• Like 4

amijules

Hi there!! I'm a longtime resin BJD fan ready to own some vinyl myself as well! Welcome <3

RiverRealms
20 hours ago, amijules said:

Hi there!! I'm a longtime resin BJD fan ready to own some vinyl myself as well! Welcome <3

Thanks 🙂 I just read your intro and it looks like you already have some good doll plans/dreams as well. Do you know who'll be joining you next? I have my eyes on a specific smartdoll but I don't dare say who in case I jinx something 😅. I'm going to order her next week if she's still available then.

Xiongmao

Welcome. I'm extremely on the spectrum myself (I mean look at my signature photos lol). It can be an advantage in this hobby (or any other hobby) and lately I have been obsessing over Yahoo Japan Auction listings.

I find vinyl dolls make excellent emotional support dolls. They're squishy and in Towa's case reassuringly heavy. Miku hair is also very reassuring, if a nightmare to maintain.

I do own one resin (SDGr Mytyl) but she's pretty delicate and also quite floppy due to her belly joints. The other girls think she's priceless and belongs in a museum, instead of wandering about the house like the vinyls do.

• Like 1

Xiongmao-Signature-Vinyl-Dolls-December-2023.jpg.092aa55b9a3c11160633f60ad1610e7c.jpg 

My Dollfie doll family 😊.

amijules
On 2/21/2023 at 5:15 PM, RiverRealms said:

Thanks 🙂 I just read your intro and it looks like you already have some good doll plans/dreams as well. Do you know who'll be joining you next? I have my eyes on a specific smartdoll but I don't dare say who in case I jinx something 😅. I'm going to order her next week if she's still available then.

I might get a Tinyfox girl when my tax return processes, something that won't break the bank but that I can still probably rehome or trade for if I don't end up vibing with it! Good luck with your order, I hope it works out!!

RiverRealms
18 hours ago, amijules said:

I might get a Tinyfox girl when my tax return processes, something that won't break the bank but that I can still probably rehome or trade for if I don't end up vibing with it! Good luck with your order, I hope it works out!!

I didn't encounter the Tinyfox dolls until I joined here but they look super cute. Good luck to you as well 🙂

• Like 1

RiverRealms
On 2/22/2023 at 6:27 PM, Xiongmao said:

Welcome. I'm extremely on the spectrum myself (I mean look at my signature photos lol). It can be an advantage in this hobby (or any other hobby) and lately I have been obsessing over Yahoo Japan Auction listings.

I find vinyl dolls make excellent emotional support dolls. They're squishy and in Towa's case reassuringly heavy. Miku hair is also very reassuring, if a nightmare to maintain.

I do own one resin (SDGr Mytyl) but she's pretty delicate and also quite floppy due to her belly joints. The other girls think she's priceless and belongs in a museum, instead of wandering about the house like the vinyls do.

The cabinet has also been the fate of my resin girls. I do plan on using glass cabinets to store the vinyl dolls when I'm not playing with them so I don't risk any meetings between rabbit and doll 😆

It seems like there are a fair amount of us autistic people in the hobby. At least I've met quite a few over the years. I guess we're just attracted to awesome hobbies 😉

Xiongmao
21 hours ago, RiverRealms said:

It seems like there are a fair amount of us autistic people in the hobby. At least I've met quite a few over the years. I guess we're just attracted to awesome hobbies 😉

Yes in my life it has been: dinosaurs > kings & queens > Lego > cacti > computers > anime > blogging > dolls > praying mantises.

The old hobbies never really go away though. Here's Towa with a stupidly dangerous cactus I grew from a seed in the late 1980s 🌵.

spacer.png

Xiongmao-Signature-Vinyl-Dolls-December-2023.jpg.092aa55b9a3c11160633f60ad1610e7c.jpg 

My Dollfie doll family 😊.

RiverRealms
2 minutes ago, Xiongmao said:

Yes in my life it has been: dinosaurs > kings & queens > Lego > cacti > computers > anime > blogging > dolls > praying mantises.

The old hobbies never really go away though. Here's Towa with a stupidly dangerous cactus I grew from a seed in the late 1980s 🌵.

spacer.png

Beautiful, both Towa and the cactus. I'm currently in the process of changing my lawn into an insect friendly flower field. It's at that stage where it's just dirt right now but if I'm lucky I'll be able to take some nice photos in summer and hopefully I'll have a vinyl girl by then to pose out there 😀

• Like 1

Jezrah
4 hours ago, RiverRealms said:

I'm currently in the process of changing my lawn into an insect friendly flower field. It's at that stage where it's just dirt right now but if I'm lucky I'll be able to take some nice photos in summer and hopefully I'll have a vinyl girl by then to pose out there 😀

Oh, how do you manage to get it down to bare dirt?  I'm allergic to grass and would love to get rid of my lawn so I don't have to mow it.

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

RiverRealms
1 minute ago, Jezrah said:

Oh, how do you manage to get it down to bare dirt?  I'm allergic to grass and would love to get rid of my lawn so I don't have to mow it.

Mostly I dug the grass off, turned it upside down and buried it under a thin layer of dirt. Covering it with something that prevents it from getting sunlight for months also works.

• Thanks 1

Rajke

Welcome to the forums,

@onion12@

Saw you in another topic. 
Also an autistic collector and owner of some resin girls. Do you have any photo’s of your resin girls?

Smartdoll is a good choice to make your first step in the vinyl bjd hobby. You will notice the big difference in posing because of the internal frame.

With posting and reacting, do it at your own pace. You will notice that everyone around here is is easygoing.

@onion20@

Zeeja around,

Rajke 

• Like 1

@onion20@   This is a signature.

RiverRealms
14 minutes ago, Rajke said:

Welcome to the forums,

@onion12@

Saw you in another topic. 
Also an autistic collector and owner of some resin girls. Do you have any photo’s of your resin girls?

Smartdoll is a good choice to make your first step in the vinyl bjd hobby. You will notice the big difference in posing because of the internal frame.

With posting and reacting, do it at your own pace. You will notice that everyone around here is is easygoing.

@onion20@

Zeeja around,

Rajke 

I actually don't have a lot of photos of my girls, at least not online. I posted one on DoA of my Myou Bettina on a couch I made but the rest haven't made it online.

Here's a link to that photo: https://ibb.co/ccMGS3f 

I fell in love with the the smartdoll sculpts but after joining here I won't rule out the possibility of a tinyfox doll joining the club at some point😁

• Like 1

Rajke
24 minutes ago, RiverRealms said:

I actually don't have a lot of photos of my girls, at least not online. I posted one on DoA of my Myou Bettina on a couch I made but the rest haven't made it online.

Here's a link to that photo: https://ibb.co/ccMGS3f

I fell in love with the the smartdoll sculpts but after joining here I won't rule out the possibility of a tinyfox doll joining the club at some point😁

She looks cute. Which brand is she from?

Also the coach she is sitting on looks great.

@onion20@

RiverRealms
5 minutes ago, Rajke said:

She looks cute. Which brand is she from?

Also the coach she is sitting on looks great.

@onion20@

She's a Myou doll Bettina http://myou-doll.com/en/product/product235.html

I imagine I'm not gonna be making a lot of this kind of furniture for the 1/3 scale vinyl dolls. That would require me to get a bigger apartment, but I might make one chair in that scale. It is good for photos, and doll furniture is just adorable in general.

• Like 1

Rajke
6 hours ago, RiverRealms said:

She's a Myou doll Bettina http://myou-doll.com/en/product/product235.html

I imagine I'm not gonna be making a lot of this kind of furniture for the 1/3 scale vinyl dolls. That would require me to get a bigger apartment, but I might make one chair in that scale. It is good for photos, and doll furniture is just adorable in general.

1/3 Scaled items are indeed needing lots of space. When I look at collectors fairs I am always on the lookout for 1/3 scaled items. 
@onion9@

• Like 1

RiverRealms
2 hours ago, Rajke said:

1/3 Scaled items are indeed needing lots of space. When I look at collectors fairs I am always on the lookout for 1/3 scaled items. 
@onion9@

I think mine will have to get by with just a closet and a chair for furniture. I converted a 70x70cm 2 door cabinet into a closet, so that was the easiest doll furniture I've ever made and I won't have to worry about storage for that 😆

Fairs however are always dangerous for the wallet, and storage space. How do you store your 1/3 scale stuff? Do you have a dedicated place for a full time setup?