Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

misskale

Faceup critique

misskale

Wee bit of cross post, but I was wondering if anyone had any technical suggestions on the faceup I did yesterday.

6899606229_3abf490802_z.jpg

rei comparison by misskale, on Flickr

Thanks in advance.

mitsuki

I am not going to be very helpful because I love how she turned out and can't think of any constructive criticism to offer. She look so much like the reference. I love her expression.

kymaera

Honestly, I like it better than the face-up on the Volks Rei, so great job.

A few things that you might want to consider:

- Maybe a slightly paler shade of pink for the lips. At least my personal vision of Rei is more towards a very pale, almost albino look.

- The eyebrows may be a bit too blue and stand out a bit. Could try to match the color of the wig more closely or just got with a generic dark color (as in the 2d picture).

- I wonder if you might get a more expressionless face (as in the 2d picture) if you lower the eyebrows a bit and straighten them out more. Hard to balance as she may look angry if you overdo it.

All a matter of taste and how your vision of Rei is, but thought I'd throw out a few ideas since you asked.

Suzuna

I agree with kymaera on the eyebrows. Eyebrows (on real people) are generally a bit darker than the hair on someone's head, and the brightness of the ones you have here are a bit distracting. Maybe put a few darker strokes through her brow to soften it up?

PrettyCranium

No useful critiques, but I just wanted to say that I love how her wig turned out. Looks great!

misskale

This is all good criticism, thank you!

The eyebrows have been bothering me as well. It's less noticeable in real life, but that's the nature of the paint and wig materials. The light that night caused her hair to look a little more purple than it is normally. The first layer was the right shade, but lighter. Somehow when I mixed the second layer I think I used too much blue.

I'm happy with the shape more or less though because the screen cap I used was for proportionality, but when I think of Rei I remember the scenes where she was surprised or happy. Like when Shinji opens the plug up at the end of episode 6. But I have been thinking on whether or not she's "too surprised" if that makes sense.

The lips I did by lightening the pastels I had used for the blush and then adding water in order to make something I could paint on. I thought that would work to perhaps make it less noticeable. I think I needed to have trusted myself and made it a little thinner though it was harder for me to see at the time.

Also, since I took those pictures the shininess has diminished as well. It's got the same reflective level as the rest of the body now.

Suzuna

The reflectiveness being less should help a lot! Mind taking another photo?

PlasticFantastic

I agree with the others on the eyebrows needing to be a bit darker.

I also think the lips could be a bit paler and maybe add in a slightly darker pink to the crease to give her mouth a bit more definition.

Here's a shot from jun97 of his original Rei hanging out with my custom Rei just for fun and some comparison!

6773284945_416afc2a09.jpg

Rei and Rei by junslr, on Flickr

DDForum-Signature3.jpg

Please visit my YouTube channel for helpful DD tips, tutorials, and reviews!

misskale

Ok, these are pictures of the updated look.

The last two pictures are after I dropped her which created a small crease through the brow line. I tried fixing it with brush cleaner right afterwards, and it seemed to have helped somewhat. I just am not sure if I want to start over just becasue I know the crease is there, or if it's fine the way it is.

6835142924_cb86837326_z.jpg

IMAG0299 by misskale, on Flickr

6981451511_fcfcc39ecd_z.jpg

IMAG0306 by misskale, on Flickr

6835325760_af8bd29d94_z.jpg

IMAG0304 by misskale, on Flickr

T-Rho

I think your eyebrow colour is spot on now!

Also I like what changes you made to the eyes. I think it looks more emotionless like rei? I don't know if that is the best way to say it.

Overall your very talented I do like the changes you made!

DD's: Aoife, Maeve, Sinead, Claire, Merida, Orla, Alana (arrived)

T-Rho

http://kaitekinamafura.wordpress.com - Blog

https://kaitekinamafura.storenvy.com - Store

misskale

Thanks T-Rho.

I've finished the third version of her, which made some changes again. I lightened the lips, fixed the eyebrows again, and darkened them slightly because they were blending too well against the hair.

6850260546_e5ea32d377_z.jpg

IMAG0317 by misskale, on Flickr

baldylox

I like this newest version much better than V2! The mouth looks way better and the eyebrows will work well I think. Now we just need MOAR PICCIES with eyes/wig!

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

misskale

Hehe, I didn't get a chance to put those in this morning. I was fixing up the other head because I wasn't sure which eyes to use. ^_^;

I'll have Rei together tonight.

baldylox
Hehe, I didn't get a chance to put those in this morning. I was fixing up the other head because I wasn't sure which eyes to use. ^_^;

I'll have Rei together tonight.

No rush, I'm just excited to see how she looks! I await your new photos.

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

misskale

Well, I finally took a hand at redoing Neris. I wanted to try and make it somewhere between Moe and Sakuya for her makeup. I worry that I made her eyebrows too elevated.

7140909793_ded4eb4827_z.jpg

P1010627 by misskale, on Flickr

sarynkitamo

I think it looks about right-height wise... but it sort of looks like the eyebrows are slightly uneven. Either way it looks awesome and I envy your talent!

misskale
I think it looks about right-height wise... but it sort of looks like the eyebrows are slightly uneven. Either way it looks awesome and I envy your talent!

I appreciate the kind words a lot! I'm just starting out and don't necessarily trust all my choices.

I agree that the eyebrows are a little uneven, too arched and too dark, though I am planning on giving her a black wig. I also need to redo the lips, I don't know why I tried to give her a cupid's bow but I don't know that it entirely works.

My idea was to darken the makeup so it was closer to a hybrid of Sakuya and Moe

7142031459_bdd284eb92.jpg

pic_sakuya04 by misskale, on Flickr

misskale
Misskale, don't be afraid to extend the liner beyond the eye hole a bit more. Good job for someone who is just starting out ^^b keep it up.

I was having hand shaking issues by that point and going too far out was causing it to lose the shape. I want it to go out further, just have to get rid of hand wiggles.

Thanks!

^_^;

Nightmare Tea
Misskale, don't be afraid to extend the liner beyond the eye hole a bit more. Good job for someone who is just starting out ^^b keep it up.

I was having hand shaking issues by that point and going too far out was causing it to lose the shape. I want it to go out further, just have to get rid of hand wiggles.

Thanks!

^_^;

I've heard tips that if you rest your pinky finger on the side of the head, it helps to stop the shaking.

I don't know if it works, but it's something to try!

misskale

Another attempt at a faceup.

I think I'm going to keep this right now, but I keep comparing the upper lashes.

Also, I know the eyebrows are thicker, but I was trying to paint her like she was 8 or 9.

7405711364_b8d9c09abd.jpg

P1020256 by misskale, on Flickr