Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

dolloramore

Help me choose a body!

dolloramore

Hi, I'm torn between two options:

I have the option to buy a second hand V2 Yukino or a DD-F3 body... Does anyone knows the difference between these two? They don't seem that much different based on separate pictures so i'm looking for more information before making my choice as i'm a total newbie, thanks 😊

chantelle

The DD F3 body will have better posing, better bodyline (shoulders and thighs will not jutt out as much), and will have replacement parts available in the case something breaks, and you can tighten the screws of the joints to adjust the fit.

I don’t really know much about the DDII but its an older model. You can’t readily find replacement parts in the case something gets damaged, and I don’t know how durable it is in comparison to the current models.

In my opinion, unless if you are in love with Yukino’s faceup and don’t plan to change it, get the DD F3. Yukino’s head is not a unique or limited sculpt: it is the DDH-03 so you can always get it blank from Volks in the case you wanted to paint the head or commission someone to paint it for you. The DD F3 imo is a better investment because if anything goes wrong, it’ll be easier (and probably less expensive) to fix it.

Edited by chantelle
  • Thanks 1

dolloramore

That's a very helpful reply thank you so much! I'm not dead set on Yukino since i'm going to buy a SQ Labs head, I'll listen to your advice and go for DD F3 !

• Like 1

chantelle
5 minutes ago, digiv1ce said:

That's a very helpful reply thank you so much! I'm not dead set on Yukino since i'm going to buy a SQ Labs head, I'll listen to your advice and go for DD F3 !

No problem, I am glad it helps! SQ Labs heads are beautiful, which sculpt are you planning on getting?

One thing I would like to mention is that the SQ Labs heads are slightly smaller than the DD ones so the necks may look a little thick on them. Some people don’t find this noticeable with a wig though but others prefer them on the MDD or DDP bodies since the necks and bodies are smaller. However this is 100% a matter of personal taste and you should always go with what you like best 😄 

Edited by chantelle

dolloramore

They really are! I'm going for the Tsubaki sculpt since it will be the closest to my character I made a concept makeup and the sculpt is what i'm looking for 😊

Do you have SQ Labs of your own?

Oh I didn't know these bodies! it seems like a cute combo I really like it ❤️ Right now i'm going for a tall character but i'll keep these in mind for a future doll because you sold me into them lmao!

chantelle

@digiv1ce Your mock-up is amazing! Tsubaki has such a cute sculpt and the green eyeshadow really suits her. I can’t wait to see how she comes out!

I do not currently own a SQ Labs doll but I have always wanted a Miyuki! I plan on getting her someday ☺️

And sounds great! 😄 The DD body in that case would be the best as it is the tallest! 

• Like 1

dolloramore

thank you chantelle! i'll be sure to show pictures when i'll get her 🥰

Miyuki is a great choice! this sculpt has a cute bubbly energy, I hope you'll be able to get her someday and of course show pictures !! ❤️

• Like 1

chantelle

I look forward to seeing your beautiful girl! Thank you so much as well! I will be sure to share ☺️

• Like 1

BeyondTime
2 hours ago, digiv1ce said:

I’d add that a DDII used will likely be pretty loose in the joints and have issues holding poses. The posing limitations will be pretty big with a DDII too. 

• Thanks 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

dolloramore

Thank you for your input! I'm very new to dolls so I didn't know it was an old model with it's issues, I'll 100% go with the DDF3!

BeyondTime

didn't know it was an old model with it's issues

Some folks love the DDII in spite of its age.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Jezrah

I would like to note that Yukino v2 would have a DDIII body, but it is still from a previous generation and does not have readily available replacement parts anymore. The original Yukino was the one on the DDII body.

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

finnleo
9 hours ago, digiv1ce said:

an old model with it's issues

A few personal observations about the generations of bodies. The old DD2 is still perfectly viable. As far as i know it has no common failure points like the DD3 has, and no endless "fun" to be had trying to re-attach thighs correctly to the lower torso after trying to do pretzel imitation poses with a F3 body. And It can be tightened up using crude tricks where screws wont do it anymore.

But its still a discontiued item, so spares will require a donor body. But if the general price is right the body as a starting point isnt a bad thing.

Concerning posability, if you count out trying to make doll pretzels or stuff in the "thats gonna need a chiropractor" range its still a nice (preferably cheap) learning platform if you utilize all the pull-out joint features.

But as for the options mentioned, as jezrah mentioned yukino v2 was a refresh of the original standard twosome for the dd3 generation, the v1 isnt quite as refined in terms of paintwork. Also if shopping for current volks standard models to take note what bodies they are on.

• Like 1

battrastard

Hello and welcome! 

I see you're looking at an SQLabs "Tsubaki". An excellent choice! Congrats! 

My Tana is also a Tsubaki, and she was on a DDII body when she first arrived in 2011:

IMG_2779

(this was March 2012)

Hairstyles can make a difference, if her head appears a bit too small for your ideas of an OC:

7076492643_4fc019f1fc_b.jpg

She stayed on her original DDII body for a few years, until I decided to see how she looked on an MDD instead: 

IMG_0558

I found her head size in ratio to a smaller body was just way too adorable, so she stays this size, and she seems to like it too! 

IMG_0865

It's all going to depend on your preferences, of course! But SQLabs has some very cute head sculpts. 

I won't spam your post with too many pics, but there should be links for my Flickr account by the pics here, feel free to look! 

Rick

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Madness takes it's toll, Please have exact change!"

dolloramore

I didn't mean to sound harsh when saying it has issues, english isn't my first language so sorry if I sounded rude 😟 I'm a newbie so thank you everyone who took time to educate me on these bodies! I really like Yukino and have the opportunity to buy her at the same price of a DDF3 body, I'll go with DDF3 solely because I'd like spare parts like chest ones !

@battrastard thank you for providing pictures it really helped strengthen the vision I had! Your Tsubaki is gorgeous on either bodies and the pictures are super cute 🥰

• Thanks 1

finnleo

I didn't mean to sound harsh when saying it has issues

Neither is english my native language, so there is that. Just wanted to point out the newer bodies have their quirks too, and that if the price is right a dd2 might be a option. if not just as a mannequin body for outfits you know will stain but dont want to risk a newer and more expensive body.