The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

CrimsonSkadi

Sewing your Own Doll Clothes. What advice would you give?

CrimsonSkadi

I hope this is the right spot for this topic!

Doll tailors, what advice would you give to an aspiring tailor who is looking to get into sewing/making their own doll clothes?
What tools to get or avoid? Fabrics that should be generally be avoided or hold off on till advance practice. Such things like that. Any personal tips and tricks you which you new before you had dived in.

Rajke

Use a pattern. Without pattern sewing results will be less. 

• Like 1

@onion20@   This is a signature.

finnleo
On 6/16/2023 at 5:36 AM, CrimsonSkadi said:

What tools to get or avoid? Fabrics that should be generally be avoided or hold off on till advance practice.

In terms of sewing machines expensive might not be better for instance, especially if starting out. I recently (actually two years ago, but havent used it much) upgraded from a cheap mechanical Singer to a electronic controlled one (Stylist series) and the electronic one while having some quality of life features (threader, vertical spool, automatic needle up-down stops, and the ability to go a stitch at a time at the press of a button), it still has some annoyances like resetting the stitch settings every time you turn it off, and oddly enough the mechanical one was able to go much slower in terms of continuous sewing.

In terms of fabric, regular old cotton (starched?) is probably best to start out with just to get a feel for the hobby. Satin for instance will probably be a source of frustration with the fraying edges, while trying to wrestle it around.

Its also better to practice on cheaper fabric before going at it with the good stuff, not that fabric usage is going to be high considering the scale (although once you get into pattern nesting with the weave direction in mind, consuption might go up).

As rajke mentioned pre-made patterns are a nice way to start out, way less time consuming than trying to figure something out yourself. Jadepixel I believe had some nice looking free patterns available on their page.

Also -- practice and patience makes everything.

• Like 3

CrimsonSkadi
14 minutes ago, finnleo said:

In terms of sewing machines expensive might not be better for instance, especially if starting out. I recently (actually two years ago, but havent used it much) upgraded from a cheap mechanical Singer to a electronic controlled one (Stylist series) and the electronic one while having some quality of life features (threader, vertical spool, automatic needle up-down stops, and the ability to go a stitch at a time at the press of a button), it still has some annoyances like resetting the stitch settings every time you turn it off, and oddly enough the mechanical one was able to go much slower in terms of continuous sewing.

In terms of fabric, regular old cotton (starched?) is probably best to start out with just to get a feel for the hobby. Satin for instance will probably be a source of frustration with the fraying edges, while trying to wrestle it around.

Its also better to practice on cheaper fabric before going at it with the good stuff, not that fabric usage is going to be high considering the scale (although once you get into pattern nesting with the weave direction in mind, consuption might go up).

As rajke mentioned pre-made patterns are a nice way to start out, way less time consuming than trying to figure something out yourself. Jadepixel I believe had some nice looking free patterns available on their page.

Also -- practice and patience makes everything.

This is excellent information!

I had bought some how to sew books to learn the language of patterns but one of the main call outs is to learn your sewing machine. Though it doesn't provide any suggestion on which one to go for. I will take a look at the cheaper ones to help me get started. This information should help me dip my feet into sewing. x3

• Like 1

finnleo
15 minutes ago, CrimsonSkadi said:

I will take a look at the cheaper ones to help me get started.

mm, well I probably should re-phrase it slightly, that I still recommend getting as nice a machine as you can, but within a price range that the purchase price wont severly add to the frustrations of learning. So, just dont go too cheap that the thing falls apart after six months for instance, but this shouldnt be too much of an issue with name brand machines I think (at least warrenty stuff should be honored).

CrimsonSkadi
3 minutes ago, finnleo said:

mm, well I probably should re-phrase it slightly, that I still recommend getting as nice a machine as you can, but within a price range that the purchase price wont severly add to the frustrations of learning. So, just dont go too cheap that the thing falls apart after six months for instance, but this shouldnt be too much of an issue with name brand machines I think (at least warrenty stuff should be honored).

Ah, I was going to look between Singer and Brother sewing machines. Seem to be the common ones I am seeing being used in some of the tutorial videos I have found, sadly most don't show the model and the ones that do are no longer being sold.

Jezrah

Whatever you do, do not buy the cheapest Singer that they carry at big box stores like Walmart. I bought one when I was young and poor, and it was just an exercise in frustration, since the bobbin thread regularly jammed. I ended up getting rid of it and investing in a middle of the line Brother that I got from Joann's when they had a sale. It is much easier to use.

• Like 4

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

moerunamida
1 hour ago, Jezrah said:

Whatever you do, do not buy the cheapest Singer that they carry at big box stores like Walmart. I bought one when I was young and poor, and it was just an exercise in frustration, since the bobbin thread regularly jammed. I ended up getting rid of it and investing in a middle of the line Brother that I got from Joann's when they had a sale. It is much easier to use.

I won't ever be able to sew, but I agree with this. I bought a Brother XL2610 Free-Arm, and it is a piece of garbage. The thread tension is always wrong, and the pedal is not consistent with any kind of pressure. I set myself up for failure, and I don't know if I want to even give sewing a go anymore. So much to try to learn, and my old brain cannot handle it.

• Like 2

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

finnleo
4 hours ago, Jezrah said:

since the bobbin thread regularly jammed

bobbin jams is probably something I forgot. what I recall of my old Tradition singer (there are two styles of mechanicals, so dont know if the other one with the reverse lever at the base is worse) was occasionally finicky with this, and required some attention with the bobbin carrier's pinch spring tension, and also that the sliders the bobbin-swing rotated in were oiled (Just a few drops)  ... also if the needle was even slightly bent ended up with a tangle. But it wasnt frequent enough in my case to upgrade... not that I had money to upgrade either (Funny this actually ... buy 300-500$ dolls on a semi regular basis, then cheap out with the cheaper sewing machine).

Also I got mine 15 years ago, so wouldnt know if they cheapend the internals to be more out of whack ( i believe the cheapest of the cheap have plastic inner frames now, which isnt confidence inspiring, I think mine was still zinc-something when I took it apart for annual maintenance)

Personally just havent used my three or four times more expensive Stylist (for reasons already mentioned... still need to look into trying to make it slower, which I miss the most of the old mechanical clonker) as much to actually say if its any better, though I've read the horizontal bobbin is better in this regard, at the very east it deletes one adjustment need.

Edited by finnleo

CrimsonSkadi

Would you recommend buying an older model then the new ones if the interior isn't plastic? I keep seeing local posts of FB market of people just selling their brother or singer sewing machines only cause they no longer have time to use them. So far I have been lucky to find reviews on some of the sewing machines I have looked at that talk about not being user friendly or beginner friendly. 

finnleo

hmm.. well, buying used will depend on how good a deal it is compared to retail price. Also one thing to keep in mind when buying used and comparing to new machine prices is that do you still get the same accessories (users manual, presser-feet, tools, extra needles, extra bobbins, etc), even though you might not even have use for them immediately.

The user friendlyness probably comes into play with computerized/electronic machines.

With these if you can find a users manual online of any machine you are considering, and just by using that are able to figure out how to set stitch type, length and in some cases width, (And maybe also needle position on straight stitch) you are well on your way. Also does the user interface make sense to you. For instance here are two machines:

Singer 9100

Singer 7258

These two probably on a mechanical level function very similarly but the main difference is how you make them do what you want, and more buttons might not automatically be better, but if the manual makes any sense, the machine probably will too.

But all in all, just remember that with doll sewing you only need to know how to set straight stitches (typical default setting), and zig-zag, and maybe how to use the reverse function to keep stuff from unraveling right away.

• Like 1

CrimsonSkadi
12 hours ago, finnleo said:

hmm.. well, buying used will depend on how good a deal it is compared to retail price. Also one thing to keep in mind when buying used and comparing to new machine prices is that do you still get the same accessories (users manual, presser-feet, tools, extra needles, extra bobbins, etc), even though you might not even have use for them immediately.

The user friendlyness probably comes into play with computerized/electronic machines.

With these if you can find a users manual online of any machine you are considering, and just by using that are able to figure out how to set stitch type, length and in some cases width, (And maybe also needle position on straight stitch) you are well on your way. Also does the user interface make sense to you. For instance here are two machines:

Singer 9100

Singer 7258

These two probably on a mechanical level function very similarly but the main difference is how you make them do what you want, and more buttons might not automatically be better, but if the manual makes any sense, the machine probably will too.

But all in all, just remember that with doll sewing you only need to know how to set straight stitches (typical default setting), and zig-zag, and maybe how to use the reverse function to keep stuff from unraveling right away.

I was able to understand both manuals, while I did like the 9100 more as it was more in-depth with the instructions and with additional techniques near the end. It had more features that I don't really think I need xD

It actually never occurred to me to read the manuals before buying a machine. I definingly got some homework to do!

Thank you so much for all your advice and personal experience, I greatly appreciate it! <3

finnleo
16 hours ago, CrimsonSkadi said:

9100 more as it was more in-depth with the instructions and with additional techniques near the end. It had more features that I don't really think I need xD

It actually never occurred to me to read the manuals before buying a machine.

mm, I specificly dug up the 9100 since thats what I have now, and after ten or so years using a basic mechanical, It wasnt as obvious to use in terms of some functions the mechanical one was, hence having to dive into the manual.

But good luck on your hunt for something suitable.