Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

AliceDoll

Shopping for clothes/goods in Japan

AliceDoll

Hi everyone! Hopefully this post is alright -- I'm new to the site so please let me know if I'm doing anything wrong! 

I've just purchased my first vinyl doll after being out of the BJD hobby for 15 years @_@! I have an imomo 1/4 chubby girl on the way and I've been eyeing the 1/6 ones that may also impulsively make it's way to me. 

Later this year I'll be taking a trip to Japan (Tokyo & Osaka) and would love to stock up on doll goodies while I'm there! 

I've so far made a list of these places: 

Tokyo | Akihabara

• DOLK
  • Mandarake
  • Volks Dollpoint
  • Amiami

Tokyo | Ikebukuro

• 'Dolly Teria'ドーリーテリア
  • Mandarake Ikebukuro 1 & 2 
  • Azone Label Shop

Osaka

• DOLK osaka
  • Volks Osaka showroom
  • Mandarake Umeda
  • Mandarake Nipponbashi

Are there any hidden spots that I'm missing? Last time I travelled I wasn't in the hobby and missed out on so many cute things! I'm hoping to really make up for lost time this time around. 

I'd appreciate your advice and guidance! Thank you! 

AliceDoll

Found an amazing thread over in the Off-topic section. Wish I had seen that first before posting here! 

Mo3cha

Hey, I hope you enjoyed your time there! I appreciate this post since I've had trouble finding locations. I'm planning a trip to Japan in April 2024. Are there any travel tips you have on destinations, hotels, online resources, etc. (doll-related or not) that you suggest?

baldylox

The last time I was in Japan was 2017.  I think the only store that has moved since then is From-Sen.  All the others on this map should still be there.  Hopefully this helps you guys out for doll stuff in and around Akihabara.  Also, don't be afraid to go into random small shops to look for doll stuff.  We went into a train store across from Mandarake in Akiba and they had a boxed Saber Alter, some random Volks clothing and a few other doll related items in a showcase.  Anywhere you see a store selling used items, GO LOOK INSIDE.  :) 

35015870321_9145dd1b30_z.jpg048 by Billy  Bennett, on Flickr

Billy

• Like 4

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Tierparkzone
On 11/19/2023 at 9:54 AM, baldylox said:

I think the only store that has moved since then is From-Sen.  All the others on this map should still be there.

Dollce has moved to the south of Kanda River: https://maps.app.goo.gl/5knVGJJtsaqnMwwn6

And of course, Doll Point is in Radio Kaikan that is labeled with Azone on your map. The Volks Hobby corner building is currently undergoing reconstruction - but that isn't really relevant for doll stuff anyway.

On 11/19/2023 at 8:37 AM, Mo3cha said:

I'm planning a trip to Japan in April 2024. Are there any travel tips you have on destinations, hotels, online resources, etc. (doll-related or not) that you suggest?

Ikebukuro is one of my favourite districts in Tokyo. While lively, it's not too overrun by foreign tourists. You even have several doll related shops there (Azone, Dollyteria, Mandarake) as well as plenty of merchandise stores (Pokemon Center, Ghibli, etc.)

I guess more precise recommendations depend a bit on what your preferences are: Exploring sights? Culture/Museums? Nature? And of course on your mobility: Are you planning to get a Japan Rail Pass? If you want to do more than Tokyo and surroundings, it might be worth to get one.

• Like 1

Mo3cha
On 11/18/2023 at 7:54 PM, baldylox said:

The last time I was in Japan was 2017.  I think the only store that has moved since then is From-Sen.  All the others on this map should still be there.  Hopefully this helps you guys out for doll stuff in and around Akihabara.  Also, don't be afraid to go into random small shops to look for doll stuff.  We went into a train store across from Mandarake in Akiba and they had a boxed Saber Alter, some random Volks clothing and a few other doll related items in a showcase.  Anywhere you see a store selling used items, GO LOOK INSIDE.  :) 

35015870321_9145dd1b30_z.jpg048 by Billy  Bennett, on Flickr

Billy

I'm definitely excited to explore, thanks for the map!

On 11/21/2023 at 11:25 AM, Tierparkzone said:

Dollce has moved to the south of Kanda River: https://maps.app.goo.gl/5knVGJJtsaqnMwwn6

And of course, Doll Point is in Radio Kaikan that is labeled with Azone on your map. The Volks Hobby corner building is currently undergoing reconstruction - but that isn't really relevant for doll stuff anyway.

Ikebukuro is one of my favourite districts in Tokyo. While lively, it's not too overrun by foreign tourists. You even have several doll related shops there (Azone, Dollyteria, Mandarake) as well as plenty of merchandise stores (Pokemon Center, Ghibli, etc.)

I guess more precise recommendations depend a bit on what your preferences are: Exploring sights? Culture/Museums? Nature? And of course on your mobility: Are you planning to get a Japan Rail Pass? If you want to do more than Tokyo and surroundings, it might be worth to get one.

I'll have to check Ikebukuro out for sure! I do plan to stay in Tokyo since I won't be there for long. 

• Like 1