The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Miffychan

Are all Azone 50 heads the same sculpt??

Miffychan

So I'm not sure if it's a dumb question, but I was sure that all of the azone iris collect sculpts were different, but after looking at all the different girls and analyzing them, I'm not sure anymore.

I personally like Noix the most, I always thought that her face was slim and her eyes super cute, kind of like ddh-06 or smart doll Mirai.

But can it be that the makeup is the thing that makes the heads look so different? I always thought Kano's head was much wider than other heads, and Milene and Reira had really big eyes..

Also, whenever I see photos of the displayed ooak dolls at azone, they always have a little card with a  description of the artists name and the body sculpt of the used doll, etc, and it always says that the head sculpt is called: AZ50-27. 

Now I'm not sure anymore.. ;-; it it really always the same head? 

ragnamuffin

I believe so. I can’t remember where I read it, but the Iris Collect dolls supposedly all use the same head. The only thing differentiating each character is the makeup. Same for Iris Collect Petit.

This is not all that surprising though because they do the same thing with their painted eye dolls. The hair and eye colour change with each release, but the eye shape stays the same, which is how you know which character it is.

Considering how drastically their appearance changes with different hair and eyes (whether rooted/painted or wig/inset), I don’t think it’s bad necessarily. If anything, it’s pretty impressive just how different they can get each one to look and is a testament to how skilled their mask artists are. But I get how some people would find it lazy or cheap considering how each Volks doll gets a distinct sculpt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

nanika
Posted (edited)

Most of the Iris Collect heads (not counting the Petit 45cms) are AZ50-27.  At least Noix, Rino, and Sumire are, IIRC.  

But there might be some variations.  For the 2021 Iris Collect (Exhibition) 2 ~Honey Girl~, there were also AZ50-29 and AZ50-30 heads used for the 1-off dolls.  As to which Iris Collect characters they correspond to, I'm not sure.  I'll have to take a look at one of my Fuukos and Kanos.  (Although I think Kano is probably an AZ50-27).  I don't own any Milene or Reira yet, and they could be the variations.  

Edit: Reira is indeed AZ50-30.  See an old Yahoo listing here.

It wouldn't surprise me if one or two were slightly different sculpts.  Such as in the Azone 50cm Happiness Clover (painted eyes) line, Moka definitely had a different head (she uses a bigger wig too).  Moka is now like the forgotten child of Happiness Clover.

Below, the first 2 are AZ50-29 heads.  The third one with the red background is the AZ50-30 head.

These are from the: 2021 Iris Collect (Exhibition) 2 ~Honey Girl~

20210428165756f40(AZ50-29).jpg

2021042816320802a(AZ50-29).jpg

20210428170233369(AZ50-30).jpg

Edited by nanika
  • Like 1

ragnamuffin
2 hours ago, nanika said:

Moka is now like the forgotten child of Happiness Clover.

💀 

Roserolls

...I didn't even know they used the same head sculpt and I have 3! The makeup is really impressive! 😮

It looks like the new re-release of Yui might have the same sculpt as well. I wonder if any future Happiness Clover re-releases will use it too (including a Moka)