Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
Halcyon

Question - Attaching Eyes /w Low Temp. Glue

Halcyon

Hi folks,

I want Euphie's eyes' set-up to be more "parmanent," so I am thinking about redoing the eyes' set-up. Currently, putty was used. I don't think putty holds well in hot weather, so I want to change it to Volks' glue.

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to assembling a Dollfie Dream. And, I have yet to complete a project too. So, I'm thinking... How should I go about attaching eyes to a DD head using Volks' glue gun? What are the ideal tools for this type of work? What should I try to avoid when putting the eyes on (if there exists a situation in the past that made you think "I shouldn't have done that")? I checked the blogs on Sumika, but I'm still a little confused. Any advice on the process would be much appreciated.

Thanks, everyone! Love ya!

-Halcyon

Update 1: Removed 'hot' from the post.

Edited by Guest

DD 娘 - Dollfie Dream® Daughters

{1} : DDS [ユ-ピィ] - Euphie

PlasticFantastic

Actually you'd want to use a low temp glue gun or you'd damage the vinyl...

I have only done putty for the eyes as I find that it works quite well - I make sure that my collection environment is cool so I don't have TOO many worries about heat - heat isn't good for vinyl, it starts to sweat if it's kept in the heat.

If I were to attempt to do glue for eyes I think I would start with a small blob just above the eye or possibly one on the top and bottom, position the eye the way I'd like it, and then do a ring of glue around it. Then repeat for the second. The glue gives you a small window to work with but you can always re-attempt until you get it right.

I have a tutorial up for putty on my site for those interested - it shows the eyes set in glue as well.

DDForum-Signature3.jpg

Please visit my YouTube channel for helpful DD tips, tutorials, and reviews!

h4y4sh1

Thank you for the information. sooner or later I would have to attach eyes to a DD head. This will come usefull.

Does anyone ever use "blutacks?" is it safe to use on DD?

PlasticFantastic
Thank you for the information. sooner or later I would have to attach eyes to a DD head. This will come usefull.

If you're referring to blue sticky tack I highly recommend avoiding it. You want to use a colourless tack and if you aren't using volks putty I'd only recommend using museum or other quality putty.

DDForum-Signature3.jpg

h4y4sh1

If you're referring to blue sticky tack I highly recommend avoiding it. You want to use a colourless tack and if you aren't using volks putty I'd only recommend using museum or other quality putty.

I have one that's colourless. but I guess I'll just get Volks putty to be safe

Galvatim

I've only used the Volks putty myself, but I've heard clear silicon earplugs work well.

Halcyon

I have only done putty for the eyes as I find that it works quite well - I make sure that my collection environment is cool so I don't have TOO many worries about heat - heat isn't good for vinyl, it starts to sweat if it's kept in the heat.

If I were to attempt to do glue for eyes I think I would start with a small blob just above the eye or possibly one on the top and bottom, position the eye the way I'd like it, and then do a ring of glue around it. Then repeat for the second. The glue gives you a small window to work with but you can always re-attempt until you get it right.

I have a tutorial up for putty on my site for those interested - it shows the eyes set in glue as well.

Sorry about that; I meant low-temp. glue from Volks' glue gun (here, I assumed that there's no way the glue from Volk's glue gun can be hot enough to cause any damage to vinyl material).

I have been bothered by this question for awhile now - What is the difference between Volks' glue and Volks' putty. Does both have the same hold? What are the cons and pros?

I have heard that Volks' glue lasts longer than their putty, and personally, I want a more lasting hold when it comes to the eyes. However, I can't justify if the previous statement is true - glue provides a more lasting hold than putty.

The reason that I'm asking all these questions is - yesterday when Euphie returned home, one of her eyes was off by two millimeters. I looked inside and I noticed that the "blue" putty that was used for that eye was coming off (this was probably due to the heat inside the USPS truck).

I want to fix Euphie up right away without damaging her (and I also want a more lasting look - meaning that I won't change the eyes much), and so, I started my search for the answers to my questions, .

Regards.

Halcyon

Halcyon
I've only used the Volks putty myself, but I've heard clear silicon earplugs work well.

Wow, sounds interesting! I may give it a try - just for fun, .

Halcyon

Thanks for sharing! I will be sure to check out your blog after I register for fall classes and eat my very delayed lunch (I had no breakfast either)

PlasticFantastic
I have been bothered by this question for awhile now - What is the difference between Volks' glue and Volks' putty. Does both have the same hold? What are the cons and pros?

I'll try to explain this as basically as I can. Glue is more permanent than putty. This is a fact. However, the volks putty (when used properly) will hold the eyes in place quite well. Putty offers some advantages as in it's a lot easier to adjust the eyes and change them. Glue is significantly more permanent.

However, both are affected by heat, even glued in eyes can come loose, it just takes more. I personally haven't had any issues with the putty - normally you aren't going to be violent with your DD, and it can take some shaking (it's how i test that they're in well enough before putting everything back together)

Since you mentioned blue putty I'm guessing the previous owner didn't bother springing the $5 or whatever it is on Volks putty. Volks putty stands up to the heat a lot better than regular sticky tack.

If I were in your position I'd just invest in some volks putty and keep things simple. It'd also keep your options open if you wanted to have your girl look off to the side.

DDForum-Signature3.jpg

Halcyon

I'll try to explain this as basically as I can. Glue is more permanent than putty. This is a fact. However, the volks putty (when used properly) will hold the eyes in place quite well. Putty offers some advantages as in it's a lot easier to adjust the eyes and change them. Glue is significantly more permanent.

However, both are affected by heat, even glued in eyes can come loose, it just takes more. I personally haven't had any issues with the putty - normally you aren't going to be violent with your DD, and it can take some shaking (it's how i test that they're in well enough before putting everything back together)

Since you mentioned blue putty I'm guessing the previous owner didn't bother springing the $5 or whatever it is on Volks putty. Volks putty stands up to the heat a lot better than regular sticky tack.

If I were in your position I'd just invest in some volks putty and keep things simple. It'd also keep your options open if you wanted to have your girl look off to the side.

A very well explained message. Thank you, PlasticFantastic!

My concerns are addressed, so I will go with glue. I want a more permanent look. And NOO!!, I am not going to be violent toward Euphie. She's my precious baby (babe is reserved for my spouse ^.^). And, don't assume that my spouse is going to be a CandyGirl. Sorry, I went off-track, but those comments weren't directed at you, PlasticFantastic.

mitsuki

That's so funny about the CandyGirl! It is mean to shake DDs, PlasticFantastic! I am just teasing!

PlasticFantastic
That's so funny about the CandyGirl! It is mean to shake DDs, PlasticFantastic! I am just teasing!

I don't shake the whole body! Just the head! hahaha Does that make it sound any better? XD

@Halcyon I am glad that I could help! Make sure to dobleepent your glue fun - I'm curious as to how easy it is, I keep thinking it'd be really hard ^^;

DDForum-Signature3.jpg

Halcyon

I don't shake the whole body! Just the head! hahaha Does that make it sound any better? XD

@Halcyon I am glad that I could help! Make sure to dobleepent your glue fun - I'm curious as to how easy it is, I keep thinking it'd be really hard ^^;

Mitsuki and PlasticFantastic, you two are funny.

Glue Fun - Unfortunately, I'm going to have Secret Cross do it for me. No glue fun for me yet...

fenrir z78

All of my girls have there eyes hot glued in. I used Volks low temp glue. Now the glue gun I got is from Hobby Lobby the same as the one Volks sales just cheaper. The first thing I did was clean everything.(the head, the eyes, my hands you get where I am going with this ) Next I put the left (or the right it does not matter) eye in place where I wont it to be with my finger holding it in place so it does not move. Next I put a small amount of glue in the head next to the eye to hold it in place. ( very good info you will need BOTH of your hands to do this. And low temp glue is HOT so if you get some on your finger you are going to have some very bad words come out of your mouth . All I can say is cowboy up and get it done. Billy knows what I mean he is from the south ) Any ways let it cool a bit before you move you finger. then put small amounts of glue around the eye and let them cool. Next repeaton the other eye. Now this is just me but I put glue on the backs of the eyes to lock them in place. So if one eye is going to come out then both are going to come out. Hope this helped if not them hope everyone got a kick out of reading it.

PlasticFantastic
All of my girls have there eyes hot glued in. I used Volks low temp glue. Now the glue gun I got is from Hobby Lobby the same as the one Volks sales just cheaper. The first thing I did was clean everything.(the head, the eyes, my hands you get where I am going with this ) Next I put the left (or the right it does not matter) eye in place where I wont it to be with my finger holding it in place so it does not move. Next I put a small amount of glue in the head next to the eye to hold it in place. ( very good info you will need BOTH of your hands to do this. And low temp glue is HOT so if you get some on your finger you are going to have some very bad words come out of your mouth . All I can say is cowboy up and get it done. Billy knows what I mean he is from the south ) Any ways let it cool a bit before you move you finger. then put small amounts of glue around the eye and let them cool. Next repeaton the other eye. Now this is just me but I put glue on the backs of the eyes to lock them in place. So if one eye is going to come out then both are going to come out. Hope this helped if not them hope everyone got a kick out of reading it.

That's actually really good advice! And here I was thinking I'd have to learn via trial and error!

Then again, I seem to change out Ellie's eyes on a whim... So maybe it's best the way I have things.

DDForum-Signature3.jpg

mitsuki

That's a great description about gluing, fenrir z78! Thank you for posting it.

I have also seen some people use a bit of putty to hold the eye in place while adding the glue so your fingers are not near the hot glue or the tip of the gun.

PlasticFantastic

I have also seen some people use a bit of putty to hold the eye in place while adding the glue so your fingers are not near the hot glue or the tip of the gun.

The other way to keep your fingers safe is to get someone else to do it! This is what my fella is for! ^_~

DDForum-Signature3.jpg

fenrir z78

The other way to keep your fingers safe is to get someone else to do it! This is what my fella is for! ^_~

Keep in mind they have there other hand free. hot glue + burned finger = someone is going to get hit.

Halcyon

Thanks for the great advice, fenrir z78! I've been eager to start my own custom project. It'll be sometimes this summer, but whatsoever, I will put your advice to good use!

Interesting way of setting the eyes up. Both putty and glue can be used... amazing!

Keep a cool bowl of water nearby just in case, ^.^