Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

MaxArcher

Camera and Photo Gear buying advice.

MaxArcher

I figured we should have one of these.

Anybody in the market for any sort of photography gear can come here and ask questions. I'm intending this as a gear advice thread and not a technique thread. This can cover anything, from cameras, to lenses, to lighting, tripods, bags, and whatever.

DD Beatrice - DD Saber/EXTRA

Nakitaninja

What a great thread idea!

This is something I could really use help with. I need to buy a new camera and don't need a 'full on' DSLR but I would like something that is more sophisticated than a base model. Any suggestions for a mid-priced super awesome camera? Thank you in advance for the information~ ^^

40283197242_5620dd1681.jpg

PlasticFantastic
What a great thread idea!

This is something I could really use help with. I need to buy a new camera and don't need a 'full on' DSLR but I would like something that is more sophisticated than a base model. Any suggestions for a mid-priced super awesome camera? Thank you in advance for the information~ ^^

Well it kind of depends what you mean by 'full on' DSLR since they come in a variety of prices and types. I picked up my Nikon D60 used for around $400 with lens, which is cheaper than some of the high end point and shoots.

I haven't used one myself but for a digital camera that does not have changeable lenses I'd go with the Panasonic Lumix line of digital cameras. The photos those cameras produce (and the 10x optical zoom) definitely makes them a good buy. If I was going to buy another camera that would be the one I'd get.

DDForum-Signature3.jpg

Please visit my YouTube channel for helpful DD tips, tutorials, and reviews!

Nakitaninja

Well it kind of depends what you mean by 'full on' DSLR since they come in a variety of prices and types. I picked up my Nikon D60 used for around $400 with lens, which is cheaper than some of the high end point and shoots.

I haven't used one myself but for a digital camera that does not have changeable lenses I'd go with the Panasonic Lumix line of digital cameras. The photos those cameras produce (and the 10x optical zoom) definitely makes them a good buy. If I was going to buy another camera that would be the one I'd get.

That is exactly what I needed to know! There's a lot of hybrid cams out there these days and some are total crap where others are a great value. Picking out a wonderful camera is tough. Thank you so much for the advice~

MaxArcher

There are a few ways to approach this.

For a fixed-lens camera, buy either a Canon S95 or a Panasonic LX-5. Both are absolutely amazing. The LX-5 has a bit of an image quality lead, but the S95 is truly pocket-size.

For more serious cameras, the new "mirrorless" cameras are awesome. Panasonic's GF-2 is great. You can also check out the Sony NEX-3 and NEX-5, which are great cameras but don't have much in the way of lenses yet.

Finally, in the DSLR world, Nikon just came out with the D5100, which is quite well-priced and shares many internal parts with the acclaimed D7000.

Nakitaninja

These are, again, exactly what I had in mind. I just need to talk to the husband as he's the real photographer. We're going to be starting our family at some point and I'm kind of coaching this buying decision for that reason and, um, less because I want to take nicer pictures of my dolls. Not that there is anything wrong with that....but I am going for the 'multipurpose' angle. It should be okay since he's the better photographer.

I'll feel so much better making a tremendous camera purchasing decision armed with your advice- thank you!

OtakuDepot

It's funny you mentioned the Nikon D60 as that was my first "serious" camera and it really takes some great shots. I've since upgraded to the D7000 which is fantastic but also so much more expensive.

If I were in the market for a smaller sized camera I'd be seriously looking at the Canon S95 or the Panasonic LX 5 as well. I think the S95's smaller size would make it more appealing to me.

If you do have an interest in getting more into photography, I really suggest getting a DSLR. Even a used one like the D60. I bought a used Nikon D70 on Ebay for about $300 and after I cleaned the sensor (easy to do with a $10 cleaning kit) it works fantastic. The shot below of my Sakura was with that camera and the $100 lens I mention below:

5045455929_37d8afe80d_z.jpg

The ability to change lenses is really great. Shortly after I got my Nikon D60 with the kit lens I spend about $100 and bought their 50mm f/1.8 lens and it really was able to take some beautiful shots.

The low "f stop" number (f/1.8) means that it's able to get a very shallow depth of field. This allows you to select what you want to be in focus in the picture and not have everything in focus. This is usually a very pleasing effect and makes a nicer image.

For example, this shot: (not mine, got it from Google image search)

21.jpg

You can see the girl is in focus but the background is blurred out. Another nice shot showing this:

shallow_depth_of_field.jpg?maxWidth=500

This isn't the only important part of it but it's just something I thought I'd mention.

**James

Otaku Depot's growing family.

6176759571_b2375fa7d7_o.jpg

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

― Terry Pratchett, Jingo

Kumi

I have an even older model, the Nikon D40 (bought used but in excellent condition) and have to say, it's a great camera. The minor drawback is, it autofocuses only with AF-S lenses (with internal motor) so many lenses have to be focused manually. Like the 50/1.8, which I wanted to buy.

BUT! Nikon just announced new "motorized" 50/1.8 AF-S, and it's not very expensive

MaxArcher

The new 50/1.8 looks like a great lens. The optical performance, especially the bokeh, look like a major improvement over the old model, which I never really liked.

The 35/1.8 is a really popular lens for DX Nikon cameras, especially the lower-end ones. It's probably actually the better choice for any DX body, since the 50 is kind of "long".

Kumi

Just now I have only the 18-70 AF-S zoom and I found the 50mm focal length (~75mm equivalent in FX format) to be quite handy for doll's photos.

On DX cameras it's more like a portrait lens than a "standard" one, but not very long, so You don't have to take the photos from far, far away

OtakuDepot
BUT! Nikon just announced new "motorized" 50/1.8 AF-S, and it's not very expensive

It figures. My first camera was the Nikon D60 and like your D40 it had no internal motor so I couldn't auto focus on my 50mm f/1.8D lens. My eyes aren't what they used to be so manual focus is no fun.

I recently upgraded to the Nikon D7000 (which I just LOVE!) and that has an internal motor so I now have AF on the 50mm. Ok, I wouldn't have skipped upgrading just for an AF 50mm f/1.8 but it would have been nice to have one when I needed it.

The 35/1.8 is a really popular lens for DX Nikon cameras, especially the lower-end ones. It's probably actually the better choice for any DX body, since the 50 is kind of "long".

I also would love a 35mm f/1.8 since I'm not using a full frame but first I need to get a good general lens - like the Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VRII. As soon as I get a spare $2,400 I don't have a use for.

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

― Terry Pratchett, Jingo

MaxArcher

Haha, hard to go wrong with a 70-200. The VRII is supposed to be awesome. I bet it'll be great for DDs too, since it focuses much closer than my VRI.

My next camera will probably be whatever replaces the D700, unless I can somehow afford a D4 when it comes out, so I might have to upgrade to the VRII eventually. I want to get rid of my 35 and 12-24, and replace them with a 50 1.4 and a 16-35 first, though.

OtakuDepot

Don't get me wrong, I don't plan on really getting the 70-200 VRII. I'd love it but don't see it financially happening anytime soon. Even if I got the cash saved I have a feeling that would find it's way to Sasara rather then a lens.

I'm more likely going to go the Sigma rout as it's more financially feasible and still not a bad upgrade to what I have. I ended up with the D7000 since I figured whatever replaced the D700 would still be way more expensive. I'd love to be able to go full frame but I'm so happy with the D7000 now it doesn't bother me.

I would like a nice wide f/2.8 zoom, since I have the crop factor to deal with I want it really wide. I love my 50mm 1.8 but it's still not wide enough at times when shooting my girls.

I think what I need to get most of all is practice. Thankfully that's free. Just need to invest the time.

― Terry Pratchett, Jingo

Averis

Guess I'm one of the few Canon guys here. I have a T1i / 500D. Not the top of the line and has been replaced by newer models, but it's a great camera in my opinion.

I spent weeks reading reviews for cameras of that price range. I was going to get the Nikon D5000 with its flip out screen, but I ended up with the Canon. Nikon does make great cameras and tend to be better in low light. The Canon had some features, though, that the Nikon didn't that sold me on it. One being the bigger and higher resolution screen and greater picture tonal depth. There were other things that I liked about it like the included remote control software, histogram view and HD recording options.

Now, I'd probably look at the T3i, which has a flip out screen. But the T1i is plenty for my use at this point.

Another thing I got was a small reflector. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XEWQ9G For $10(US) it was a good buy. It does help light the shadows, but can be hard to deal with when trying to hold the camera and reflector.

Next thing on my list is a nice 50mm lens. They come in various qualities and prices. But with all my money going to doll stuff, I may never actually get one. >.>

Another good link is http://www.cameralabs.com. A great place to read camera reviews. They are usually pretty detailed.

OtakuDepot
Another thing I got was a small reflector. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XEWQ9G For $10(US) it was a good buy. It does help light the shadows, but can be hard to deal with when trying to hold the camera and reflector.

These collapsible reflectors are really nice. I got one from a seller on Amazon as well, I went with the "bigger is better" mentality and got one about 32 inches I think.

Bigger, in this case, isn't better. Very hard to hand hold and take pics at the same time. I must look like an idiot at times, even having the side of the reflector against my head, one hand on the other side of the reflector, and one on the camera... haha They do a great job though and are really cheap.

**James.

― Terry Pratchett, Jingo

Averis

Hehe, yeah, even the 22inch is big-ish, but any smaller and it would be like a small spotlight. I too find myself in odd positions when using it. I almost wish it was square and not round then it wouldn't want to just roll away all the time.

MaxArcher

Reflector tip of the day - Lastolite Trigrip. Expensive as hell, but best reflector in the world. I'm about to buy myself one after endless recommendations. I usually use flash, but it's so much work to set up, and my 50-something inch Calumet is a PITA.

AntElitist

I have several lens here.

24-70mm f/2.8G

50mm f/1.4 AiS

200mm micro f/4

out of those 3, I always use 24-70 whenever I want to do something wide angle. I choose my 50mm because of the 1.4 goodness *Bokeh* and I think for a really old lens, it's still perfect because...well Dolls don't move do they? Rofl. So can take my sweet time to adjust my settings to take the picture.

Honestly when I saw the 85mm f/1.4G and its poisoning pictures, I was like OH WOWWWW and when I test drive the lens, it feels so good! But heck, I already got the 1.4 so I doubt I will buy it...any soon. I will only need that 85mm when I need the AF... and not anytime I need it! It's too costly.

MaxArcher

What camera body do you have?

I haven't bought a 50 1.4, since I'm still on a DX body (D300), but I'll probably buy one as soon as I get a full-frame camera.

AntElitist
What camera body do you have?

I haven't bought a 50 1.4, since I'm still on a DX body (D300), but I'll probably buy one as soon as I get a full-frame camera.

Nothing really special. Just a typical standard FX body. Nikon D3.

Well you can always buy the lens first then the camera haha.

The difference is you have to endure the crop factor only hah

MaxArcher

Oh, D3, not special at all, sure, lol. I'm waiting for Nikon to get the new generation out already. Not sure if I'll get a D4 or D800, but I'm going on the preorder list as soon as they're announced.

Once I know my new body is coming, I'll sell my 12-24 and 35 and 50 1.8s, and then I'll have plenty to buy a 50 1.4. Maybe I'll sell my 85 1.8 and get a Sigma 85 1.4 and/or a 135 f/2 or something as well.

AntElitist
Oh, D3, not special at all, sure, lol. I'm waiting for Nikon to get the new generation out already. Not sure if I'll get a D4 or D800, but I'm going on the preorder list as soon as they're announced.

Once I know my new body is coming, I'll sell my 12-24 and 35 and 50 1.8s, and then I'll have plenty to buy a 50 1.4. Maybe I'll sell my 85 1.8 and get a Sigma 85 1.4 and/or a 135 f/2 or something as well.

yeah. But would like to see what D4 has to offer haha. Currently D3 is enough for me.

That's a nice choice of lens you are thinking about. Do want to see your upcoming pictures hah

MaxArcher

yeah. But would like to see what D4 has to offer haha. Currently D3 is enough for me.

That's a nice choice of lens you are thinking about. Do want to see your upcoming pictures hah

I just wish I could do more pictures of the dolls. Setting up the "studio" is so much work, and the pictures are boring compared to outdoor ones, but I'm not prepared to take them out in public. I'm jealous of people with yards, haha.

AntElitist
I just wish I could do more pictures of the dolls. Setting up the "studio" is so much work, and the pictures are boring compared to outdoor ones, but I'm not prepared to take them out in public. I'm jealous of people with yards, haha.

In my case, setting up a studio is a no-no. Not only it's time consuming, it's space consuming as well. That's why I have 2 types of taking photograph of Mashiro. One is going out to have natural lighting, and one is just a photostory mode where quality doesn't matter to me at all.

Same here. My yard looks like a jungle... I took Mashiro out normally. Ok not that often but if there's an event. I will bring here hehe

DivinitaAria

I've been wanting a nice DSLR for the longest time, then the other day I found out I needed one for college, so now I'm in a win-win situation!

I've been looking into Canon's cameras such as the T3i and 60D. Any suggestions?

Rise- DD Rise | Mariska? - DD01 |Momo/Momoko - DD MOMO | Nayuki - DD Mikuru | Shiori???? - DD Kos Mos

Wishlist:MDD Louise, DD Rise, MDD Maria