MagicalRozen

Baldylox

MaxArcher

Camera and Photo Gear buying advice.

maksst

I've bought today this camera:

imgp6565res.jpg

imgp6567resje.jpg

It's Minolta X-300 with lens Tokina 7-210 mm 1:3.5 ... and it cost me... 30€ !! Well, camera is not so good, but lens is awesome and it has even macro mode O.O wow...

catherinsige.jpg

DivinitaAria

I'm buying a DSLR tomorrow!

Along with being a Photography enthusiast, I need a camera for my major in college.

I'm most positive I'm going to be getting a Canon t2i along with the 18-135mm lens.

I'm super excited!! Once Hime gets her face up I'll finally be able to spam her

Rise- DD Rise | Mariska? - DD01 |Momo/Momoko - DD MOMO | Nayuki - DD Mikuru | Shiori???? - DD Kos Mos

Wishlist:MDD Louise, DD Rise, MDD Maria

Iachion

Hey everyone,

I've been thinking about buying my first real camera. (since I'm tired of borrowing my parent's one all the time ) However I'm really new to the camera market, I actually had to look up what DSLR was..., so if you have any links to buying guides I would appreciate it!

And if you want to give me some buying advice...my spending limit is around $300-$450(not sure if this enough...) I want one for mostly indoor shots. So thank you for reading and hopefully someone can help me out!

juu-yuki
Hey everyone,

I've been thinking about buying my first real camera. (since I'm tired of borrowing my parent's one all the time ) However I'm really new to the camera market, I actually had to look up what DSLR was..., so if you have any links to buying guides I would appreciate it!

And if you want to give me some buying advice...my spending limit is around $300-$450(not sure if this enough...) I want one for mostly indoor shots. So thank you for reading and hopefully someone can help me out!

Same here XD

I've been looking for a good sturdy camera for awhile. The d3000 looks promising. I love how they have a built in nubbii guide I would get a d5000 or a d90 if I had the money to shell out T^T. Ah... so poor.

Halcyon
Hey everyone,

I suggest you save an additional $100 and get the Nikon D5000. New, factory refurbished, or lightly used - it's up to you. Refurbished or used cameras should be cheaper than those in new/mint condition.

This picture was taken with a Nikon D5000:

5587441672_c5239aa0ef_z.jpg

Nikon cameras operate very well in low light (better than most brands), so your condition should be satisfied.

[Low-light] A tip before I go: It's best to take pictures during dawn and dusk just when the sun is rising and setting, respectively. That's when light is very soft (soft sky) and there's no direct sunlight; perfect for taking pictures of your musume.

DD 娘 - Dollfie Dream® Daughters

{1} : DDS [ユ-ピィ] - Euphie

Halcyon
That photo is so cute!

It sure is :3

DD 娘 - Dollfie Dream® Daughters

{1} : DDS [ユ-ピィ] - Euphie

MaxArcher

I would get a D3100 instead of a D5000, unless you can afford the D5100. Both Dx100 versions use newer, better technology. The D5100 is especially good, it uses the same sensor as the D7000.

DD Beatrice - DD Saber/EXTRA

Iachion
I would get a D3100 instead of a D5000, unless you can afford the D5100. Both Dx100 versions use newer, better technology. The D5100 is especially good, it uses the same sensor as the D7000.

Thanks for the info! I was just going to ask about the Dx100 series! And after doing some of my own research both of those models would fit my needs perfectly the only problem I have is...well I can't afford either of them yet.

juu-yuki

I took a look at the D3100 and the video quality is better than the D5000. But in the end i went for the D5000 because of the screen. XD Absolutely love the swiveling screen.

RaveOfNightmares
There are a few ways to approach this.

For a fixed-lens camera, buy either a Canon S95 or a Panasonic LX-5. Both are absolutely amazing. The LX-5 has a bit of an image quality lead, but the S95 is truly pocket-size.

For more serious cameras, the new "mirrorless" cameras are awesome. Panasonic's GF-2 is great. You can also check out the Sony NEX-3 and NEX-5, which are great cameras but don't have much in the way of lenses yet.

Finally, in the DSLR world, Nikon just came out with the D5100, which is quite well-priced and shares many internal parts with the acclaimed D7000.

The Sony NEX cameras have plenty of lenses, if you consider the A to E mount adapter that Sony makes, the entire Alpha System lens library would be at your disposal. The adapter isn't cheap, but would be worth it if you already had a bunch of A mount (or Minolta AF mount) lenses, and unlike a lot of the really cheap adapters that can be found on Ebay, the Sony one allows the NEX to use all the functions of all of those lenses with the exception of Teleconverters and certain Minolta Xi lenses (of note, the Teleconverters only allow auto focus on very specific lenses to begin with).

They also make a second, more expensive A to E mount adapter that adds an SLT mirror and a full time Phase Detect Auto Focus sensor to the NEX camera. A NEX-5N with the LA-EA2 SLT mount adapter is about the same price as the new A65 model, and a fair bit less costly than the A77.

In my case, if I were to want to pick up a smaller mirror-less camera, A Sony NEX would be the way to go. With the addition of one of the aforementioned adapters, I would have all of my Alpha System DSLR lenses to play with. For now I'll stick with my big and heavy A77. With the vertical grip, and its amazing "kit" (more awesome than any usual lame kit lens) 16-50mm f/2.8 SSM lens, the camera is heavy enough to make a 6lb limit mini-tripod collapse!!?!!

21 DD girls: Mio, Marina, Yui, Yoko, Nia, Lily, Arisu, Akina, Momo, Arisa, Yukina, Ayaka, Niimi, Eri, Millefeuille, Ekisu, Chitose, Miyabi, KOS-MOS v.4, Hatsune Miku and God Eater Alisa. 2B in a hopeful future.

JoltFiend

I've been looking recently (now that I have a bonus check that's burning a hole in my pocket) at getting a new lens for my Sony A33. I've only had the 18-55 that the camera came with, but I'm looking at getting something with a little more zoom on it, but that can still do some decent close ups.

The two lenses that have caught my eye are the 16-105 f/3.5-5.6 and the 18-250 f/3.5-6.3. Any feedback for either of these two lenses? Has anyone else here used something similar?

My other option is to just head to a Sony Style store along with my camera and ask if I can try out the lenses to see which one I'd like better.

11698830435_af9057797c_o.jpg

RaveOfNightmares
I've been looking recently (now that I have a bonus check that's burning a hole in my pocket) at getting a new lens for my Sony A33. I've only had the 18-55 that the camera came with, but I'm looking at getting something with a little more zoom on it, but that can still do some decent close ups.

The two lenses that have caught my eye are the 16-105 f/3.5-5.6 and the 18-250 f/3.5-6.3. Any feedback for either of these two lenses? Has anyone else here used something similar?

My other option is to just head to a Sony Style store along with my camera and ask if I can try out the lenses to see which one I'd like better.

Can't say I've used either of those, but they both cover close to the same wide angle range as the 18-55 you already have, just with a little more range to them. If anything, I'd say try them out at the store so you can get a feel for them. If I had to choose, I'd go with the 18-250 for the purpose you mention, although either lens would technically replace your 18-55. Honestly, I'd go with the 55-200 4-5.6 to compliment your 18-55, as it picks up where the 18-55 stops, and covers a longer distance. It's light weight, and the price tag ($200) is excellent for the quality of the lens. I personally have and use the 55-200, and I love it. The pictures are clean and razor sharp, the focus is fast for the SAM motor types, and at least on the A77, there's no noticeable aberrations or distortion.

Depending on what you're willing to spend, the 70-400 f4-5.6 G SSM ($1800) is an absolutely amazing lens that would cover more than would be necessary, although it is a bit on the heavy side. I've actually taken pictures of my girls in my room with the lens fully extended to 400mm, along with pictures shot through the window of a moving vehicle of distant objects that are clear and sharp as a razor.

Speaking of Sony Style stores, I got to try out the Zeiss 85 f1.4 at the Sony Style store here last weekend... Amazing is all I can say... I also got to try out the 50 f2.8 Macro, which is amazing as well.

21 DD girls: Mio, Marina, Yui, Yoko, Nia, Lily, Arisu, Akina, Momo, Arisa, Yukina, Ayaka, Niimi, Eri, Millefeuille, Ekisu, Chitose, Miyabi, KOS-MOS v.4, Hatsune Miku and God Eater Alisa. 2B in a hopeful future.

AntElitist

The Sony NEX cameras have plenty of lenses, if you consider the A to E mount adapter that Sony makes, the entire Alpha System lens library would be at your disposal. The adapter isn't cheap, but would be worth it if you already had a bunch of A mount (or Minolta AF mount) lenses, and unlike a lot of the really cheap adapters that can be found on Ebay, the Sony one allows the NEX to use all the functions of all of those lenses with the exception of Teleconverters and certain Minolta Xi lenses (of note, the Teleconverters only allow auto focus on very specific lenses to begin with).

They also make a second, more expensive A to E mount adapter that adds an SLT mirror and a full time Phase Detect Auto Focus sensor to the NEX camera. A NEX-5N with the LA-EA2 SLT mount adapter is about the same price as the new A65 model, and a fair bit less costly than the A77.

In my case, if I were to want to pick up a smaller mirror-less camera, A Sony NEX would be the way to go. With the addition of one of the aforementioned adapters, I would have all of my Alpha System DSLR lenses to play with. For now I'll stick with my big and heavy A77. With the vertical grip, and its amazing "kit" (more awesome than any usual lame kit lens) 16-50mm f/2.8 SSM lens, the camera is heavy enough to make a 6lb limit mini-tripod collapse!!?!!

What I have been telling people all the time.

For lenses, Just get Carl Zeiss. You never go wrong with them lenses. Tried out the combo of CZ 18-55 (IIRC... )mm with A580. Simple wonderful

JoltFiend

I went with the 18-250. I just need to take some time to go somewhere and take pictures. I took a few preliminary pictures, and they look fine, but I want to find a place where I can take a range of pictures.

11698830435_af9057797c_o.jpg

DJStarstryker

Alright, I may as well ask this here.

I really want a new camera. I know very little about photography so I have no idea where to start right now. Gonna take a photography class, but I really need a real camera before I can sign up (only cameras I have are non-adjustable cellphone and very meh Sony Cybershot). I want a camera that can take pretty decent pictures with little to no photoshopping. The camera will be used to take pictures of nature, wildlife, figures, and dolls, both indoors and outdoors. Obviously I have no brand preference or anything right now.

I hate the idea of a really cheap beginner x, because the beginner x thing tends to need to be replaced later on when you start playing around with it more. A good example of this is when people buy the crappy "beginner guitars". Beginner guitars have low expense and who cares if you ding it up, but they sound terrible. I already have a camera that can take the beginner "terrible" pictures. I don't need that much of a newbie camera. If that makes sense. But at the same time, I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on a high end camera when I don't think I'll ever get that deep into photography. I just want pictures that look good with little to no post processing.

Suggestions?

Are you ready to rock? ^_^

Kumi

First question - how much $ You have?

Anyway, quick suggestions:

For DSLR cameras - Nikon D3200. Light, small, fast, quiet, has 3" 921k dot LCD.

For EVIL cameras - Olympus E-PL3. Light, small, quite fast and quiet, has only 460k dot LCD but swiveled.

Read some reviews, go to store, check what You like more.

For something in-between (but still EVIL) - Sony A57. Or Olympus OM-D. Or...

But there's plenty other DSLR and EVIL (Electronic Viewfinder with Interchangeable Lens) cameras which will do the job.

Basically, You need:

- interchangeable lens mount, to have the possibility to change the glass later. To faster/longer/shorter/macro/whatever.

- PASM modes and exposure compensation to have full control over the exposure.

- manual white balance (and presets, too) to have full control over the color.

- Hotshoe to make use of external strobe or remote triggering more of them.

- the RAW picture format available, to further post-processing if You need it.

That said, You can throw in Panasonic GX1, G2..., other Olympus Pen cameras, some NEX-es, and half of Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Samsung and Sony DSLR product list... and not only current production, but older ones as well

Because if You properly set the camera and expose the frame, there's usually no need for much postprocessing later. Even if You use old second-hand Nikon D40, for example.

gaiaswill

(Wall of text warning.)

The nice thing about cameras is that the technology is pretty mature. Because pretty much camera south of $2000 will share sensors ("film") to save on manufacturing cost, that means "beginner cameras" don't really differ much in image quality from "professional cameras". Where they differ is in shooting features: extra dials to change settings faster, metal instead of plastic, weather sealing, faster framerate, more autofocus points, etc.

Example: The Olympus PENs E-P1, E-P2, E-P3, E-PL1, E-PL2 and E-PL3 all share the same sensor. The "P" series has two dials for settings and other details differ, but they otherwise produce nearly identical images. The Canon Kiss X4, X5, X6i, 60D and 7D models use more or less the same sensor as well.

You can pay as much or as little as you want, cost ranges ~$300-$7000+. Models a few years old still produce perfectly good images while being substantially cheaper. You can have tilt screens, fast framerates and other good stuff, you just have to pay for them.

If you are concerned about the beginner trap, I would suggest any interchangeable lens camera. A fixed lens compact camera cannot be upgraded at all--you must buy a whole new camera, so in the long run this is a bigger waste of money.

Most people on a budget have the 2-3 cheapest lenses in whatever system they buy. Usually this is:

• A standard 3x zoom (18-55, 14-42, etc.) that is sold with the camera. This is the "kit lens" and is usually worth ~$100.
  • A telephoto 4-5x zoom (55-200, 45-200, etc.) that is sometimes sold as an extended kit by stores. Usually worth ~$200.
  • An f/1.8 or f/2 prime (usually 50mm f/1.8) that is a commonly recommended portrait and low light lens. Usually worth ~$100.

DJStarstryker

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll have to go to Bic Camera or something to see what's available. I can't order from most US sites for cameras since the US Postal Service put a restriction on shipping lithium ion batteries overseas. A lot of these should be available in Japan though.

Definitely wanted an interchangeable lens camera. I'm hoping I can buy a camera and use it for years, since they're so costly.

Are you ready to rock? ^_^

Ziggorro

I am necro bumping this thread because I have been wanting some advice from fellow Nikon users.

I have a Nikon D5000 DSLR that I use. I am still very new with it so I'm still trying to get the settings right for my shots. I have 3 lenses for it (Nikkor 18-55, Nikkor 55-200, and a Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 macro lens). After messing with my macro lens, I realized that I need to look at getting an external flash or 2 for my camera (as the popup flash was blocked by the macro lens when it was zoomed in a bit).

My dad has a flash bracket for his D90 DSLR and I do like it. But I was considering having some external flashes to use as remotes and a hotshoe flash for the body itself.

Nikon flashes are ridiculously expensive and I want your guys opinions/advice/experience on some good budget/worthwhile flashes.

foo
Nikon flashes are ridiculously expensive and I want your guys opinions/advice/experience on some good budget/worthwhile flashes.

Unfortunately the D5000's built in flash doesn't support commanding other flashes, so if you want to use more than one flash you need to buy one that supports commanding. Unfortunately that's like an SB-700, which isn't cheap. There's also the SU-800 which is just a commander, which is actually useful because you generally don't want the flash on the camera to contribute light to the scene (FYI if you used an SB-700, you can set it to not contribute light to the scene when commanding, but it's sort of a waste of an expensive flash to just use it for commanding). The SU-800's still not cheap though.

You may find it worthwhile to sell your D5000 and get a D7000 used on eBay, which supports commanding. Then you can get used SB-600s which are great. Generally you shouldn't have a problem with used flashes; I know in the past the camera store Henry's in Ontario had a good supply of used SB-600s, which is a great way to get a great flash (that doesn't command). At least if you buy it used from a store like that you can hope that you're not buying a dud.

Really all you need to get started is one commander unit (either the camera's built-in like on a D7000 or an SU-800), and one flash that can be a wireless slave (SB-600). If you're going to use more than one slave you will be spending time toying around, positioning flashes & output power to get each flash to contribute to the scene you want. Which is fun and everything and looks fantastic, but it's time consuming and you're better off just starting with one.

Another thing you can try with your popup flash is to just put a white card (like the back of a business card or something) in front of it, at an angle so the flash fires upwards. That will light the room (bouncing off the ceiling) instead of the object in front of your lens, which might improve things with your macro lens.

Ziggorro

I'm a bit hesitant on getting a new camera since I'm still learning with this one. commander flashes would be nice to use but are not really necessary for me right now. I just like to "future proof" my investments generally. I'd be fine with just a regular manual flash which I can learn from as well. I was checking around and found out about the Yong Nuo flashes that are out and are actually pretty cheap and a lot of people highly recommend them. Though after reading reviews on amazon, a lot of people had issues with them suddenly not firing in less than a month in some cases. I don't feel the need for a $200+ flash right now but would like a good budget one I can play with.

foo

The problem with a cheap flash is it won't be much better than your popup flash, unless you get a flash that lets you tilt the flash head.

For basic lighting using a flash, what you don't want is for it to be mounted above your lens and pointing straight at your subject. That's what your popup flash does. A more expensive flash used the same way will be just like your popup flash, but brighter & shoot farther.

The problem with having a flash in the same position as your popup flash is that it kills all the shadows on your subject. For example, say you were taking a photo of a white ball. In natural lighting on a cloudy day, the top of the ball will be brighter than the bottom of the ball, because the light is coming from above. However, if you take a photo of it with your popup flash (or a flash on the hotshoe pointed at the ball), all the shadows around the bottom of the ball will be gone, and instead your photo will look like more of a flat disc instead of a sphere.

If you were to get an SB-600, which you should be able to get used for $100-200 (I just took a quick peek at some auctions), it lets you point the flash up towards the ceiling so that you get brighter light shining down on your subject. You can also point it towards a wall to your right; which will give you nice natural light coming from the side of your subject. This generally looks much better than bouncing off the ceiling, but having a nice wall to reflect off of isn't always practical in a pinch, whereas there's almost always a ceiling above you.

My advice then is to just get an SB-600 or equivalent (tilts upwards & rotates to the side). If you get a commander flash later you can control it for some off-camera lighting. Otherwise, as a single flash it's all you'll need (there's no point buying anything more expensive or "better"). You can try practicing yourself by using a white card like I mentioned to redirect your popup flash's light. It's kind of difficult to get right consistently if you're holding the camera in your hand and the card in another, but it should show you the difference. Since the popup isn't very bright though, your photos might still be dark, but you may learn a bit.

foo

If you want to see an example of off-camera flash check my Flickr ^^ I can't post images yet but the link to it is in my profile here. That's a single SB-600, sitting relatively far away and pointing towards the ceiling.