Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Mahoro

Nicotine Smells

Mahoro

Any ideas or suggestions? Saber has light nicotine yellowing and both saber and rin have a small bit of the smell you get from a smoker. I'm not so worried about trying to get the faint yellowing off of Saber, more just the smell.

Current suggestions include vinegar or baking soda, but I haven't any idea if those are safe to use on DD vinyl.

Thanks!

EDIT: Baking soda works pretty well actually on smells.

laces

Perhaps keep Saber in a closed box with some baking soda in a tub next to her? Just an idea but might work. ^^

archangeli

I have this crazy idea that just may work -

Take all the vinyl pieces of the armature, put them in a resealable freezer bag or a plastic tub and cover them with an entire box of baking soda (or 2...) and leave it for a day or 2.

The baking soda will rinse right off when you're done - just make sure you let the pieces dry completely before reassembling the doll.

8450151887_2e94dd76fd_n.jpg

Archangeli.net | Twitter: @MsArchangeli | YouTube: Archangeli

Ara

As far as I know baking soda is not a problem for vinyl, it's also used to clean vinyl floors when they have really nasty stains

So I think putting the pieces into bags with baking soda is actually a good idea.

If you want to get the smell out of her box too put a little cup of baking soda into it and close the box.

What also works really well is fresh coffee powder (and it smells nice).

ZZ0WsD1.jpg

shinegamix

deleted post

Edited by Guest

making my triumphant return

Ara

@shinegamix: As far as I know these dolls just have been bought second hand, the former owner(s) was a smoker.

Not to mention that your comment does not help at all, the question was not "How to avoid cigarette smell".

ZZ0WsD1.jpg

Mahoro

yea, they were both second hand from mandarake.

I tried the baking soda on them, it works pretty darn well, and FAST actually, a lot faster than I expected. Within 1 hour the smell on Saber was barely noticeable, even less than on Rin, and Rin had much less smell to begin with.

shinegamix

deleted post

Edited by Guest

Ara
ara: how am i supposed to know where they are from. i only see what the problem is. and if you stop smoking the smell will fade over time

No it will not, because really heavy smell might stay for YEARS.

Some rooms and houses need to be renovated because of heavy smokers living there for years, just waiting till it fades usually doesn't help at all.

The problem is not that you didn't know that she bought these dolls second hand but that you didn't even bother to read the introduction post.

And the advice "stop smoking" doesn't make any sense when someones asks how to get RID OFF the smell, not HOW TO AVOID it.

ZZ0WsD1.jpg

shinegamix

deleted post

Edited by Guest

Ara
you knowwhat im going to sit this one out. so much negativity. just to check but did you come from den of angels

I don't see any negativity, I just think you were unfriendly and accused someone of doing something (= handling their dolls badly with smoking heavily while they are around) he/she hasn't done, and I also don't like it when people refuse to even read the first post.

I also don't get what DoA has to do with this? I'm in a LOT of doll forums (German, Dutch, International, European based), and use DoA as a resource, marketplace etc. as much as a lot of other collectors.

If you think however DoA member equals to your so called "negativity" I have to assure you that a membership on a forum has nothing to do with this, I just don't like people being unhelpful and unfriendly.

That's it for now. Don't want to derail the thread any further, I already see that it has no use to talk with you anyway.

ZZ0WsD1.jpg

shinegamix

so you are. after a day of work the last thing i need is getting mouthed off by someone yes i did not read the introduction post because its not one the same page. but ill let you in on a secret. i have a life outside of this forum. so forgive me if i dont read everything. the reason for asking if you are from doa is because it has built a name for its own. and is known as a spawning ground of something i am not allowed to say. i do have to admit that it does not count for everybody. i do have met some nice people from there but they seem more like an exception. like i said in the begin of this message i dont need extra stress from this so i am going to foe you good night

waha
so you are. after a day of work the last thing i need is getting mouthed off by someone yes i did not read the introduction post because its not one the same page. but ill let you in on a secret. i have a life outside of this forum. so forgive me if i dont read everything.

If you have a life outside the forum maybe you shouldn't have replied at all? Because really, if you can't be bothered to read the original post then why bother replying?

shinegamix

waha who are you to tell me what i can and cannot do. anyway if you want to continue this come look me up and we will have a heart to heart. do not want to bother original poster with this anymore

waha
waha who are you to tell me what i can and cannot do. anyway if you want to continue this come look me up and we will have a heart to heart. do not want to bother original poster with this anymore

Me? I'm a friend of Mahoro. And really, you need to chill out.

shinegamix

dont talk to me like i am a crazy person. i have this rule. treat others as good as they treat you. if the reply at that time was not so arrogant and condescending. i would not have felt the need to reply and we would not have this converstaion right now. yes i may have interpretated the question wrong but there are nicer ways in telling that. i am chilled thats why i invited you to talk it out

PlasticFantastic

Wow that went wildly offtopic...

Mahoro: I'm glad that the baking soda trick worked! It's so handy~ Think about it: people use it in their fridges to deodorize! It's just good to know that I can use it on my pretty girls if they're stinky. ^_^

DDForum-Signature3.jpg

Please visit my YouTube channel for helpful DD tips, tutorials, and reviews!

Mahoro

Quite offtopic yes : x

Actually the only thing I was sorta worried about was the baking soda might be abrasive on the vinyl, but its not :3

The only remaining problem is Rin's shoes, despite being in a container covered in baking soda changed every few days for a week, the still smell AWFUL. Rin must have had some nasty smelly feet problems in her old place xD

RaveOfNightmares

I wonder how well baking soda would work for getting the smell of yakiniku off of one of my girls? ;p (that goes away on its own after about a week)

21 DD girls: Mio, Marina, Yui, Yoko, Nia, Lily, Arisu, Akina, Momo, Arisa, Yukina, Ayaka, Niimi, Eri, Millefeuille, Ekisu, Chitose, Miyabi, KOS-MOS v.4, Hatsune Miku and God Eater Alisa. 2B in a hopeful future.

archangeli
I wonder how well baking soda would work for getting the smell of yakiniku off of one of my girls? ;p (that goes away on its own after about a week)

Is it the vinyl that smells, or just the clothes/ wig?

You could give the clothes/ wig a light mist of Febreze odor eliminator spray and that would take care of it. If it's the actually the vinyl then I think the baking soda method that Mahoro used on his girls would be effective.

8450151887_2e94dd76fd_n.jpg

Archangeli.net | Twitter: @MsArchangeli | YouTube: Archangeli

Ravendruid

The only remaining problem is Rin's shoes, despite being in a container covered in baking soda changed every few days for a week, the still smell AWFUL. Rin must have had some nasty smelly feet problems in her old place xD

Hmm... I know baking soda is just about the ONLY thing I've found that can help with MY shoes. That, and leaving them outside overnight can help a bit too, as long as there is a decent breeze, but I can understand not wanting to try that with doll shoes. If their not leather, you might try using a vinegar solution, then using baking soda to take out the vinegar smell.

Daddy of: Yuriko, Sohi, Miku and SK's many kids

12437295384_b307eb5ce8.jpg

puxlavoix

You might want to try a ozone purifier if you have one around your house or access to it.

Ozone (O3) has this chemical property that oxidizes smell particles (kills not disguise) of all kinds of smell incluiding that of cigarrete. I read about it some time ago... there's this professional ozone generators which are used to kill odors in industry and are also used by professional cleaners to remove smells in fabrics, automobiles, buildings, stoves, fridges, etc.

It turns out a household ozone purifier which is marketed to purify water and vegetables can be used to remove odors as well, I decided to give it a try and it does wonders... have used it from time to time to successfully remove cigarrete smell and other smells from clothes, car, shoes, fridge, etc...

What i do is place the stinky item in a bag and seal it, then run this tubing that most ozone machines have though a little hole and seal it with some tape. Then let the machine run for 5-10 minutes and let it sit for 20-30 minutes and voila! odors are gone for good. It might leave a slight odor behind but itll vanish by itself in no time.

1505193317_sig1copy.png.892dcb9d95734be68d4282d5f06843bb.png1495205582_sig2copy.png.b9f2cb50f3c66e638bd5c8a75bd10688.png

Mahoro

Wow, now theres a more hardcore solution if you have more than a few things to treat xD

Thankfully I've never had other instances needing treatment for nicotine, as my dad at least had the courtesy to smoke outside when he did. But thats an interesting alternative solution regardless :3