Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

DJStarstryker

NASA Curiosity Rover on Mars

DJStarstryker

Anyone else interested in this? For those who don't know, NASA is landing a new rover on Mars this Sunday night. It's called Curiosity. It's the most advanced rover yet and, if it lands successfully, can broadcast HD quality video and all sorts of stuff back to us with only a 14 minute lag time.

talking about some of the challenges they'll have to deal with in landing this thing.

I'm a nerd, so I'm going to a local planetarium where they're having an event about it. It's gonna be awesome.

Are you ready to rock? ^_^

Mahoro

Nerds ftw!

Till Troll

Been following this, have you seen the awesome deployment videos? Sky crane!

JoltFiend

I haven't put much thought into this until recently when the news started picking up since it's close to arriving.

@DJ since you mentioned it, I might take a trip out to the Griffith Park Observatory since they'll be showing it there.

11698830435_af9057797c_o.jpg

SakuraSylph

And we have touchdown on Mars! The first pictures are of the rover's wheel and the rover's shadow.

Way to go, NASA!

SakuraSylph

Ravendruid

We were watching the live feed here at our house (myself, SK, Tamayuki, Dollie, and Yuriko). We were all very excited. Glad that everything seemed to go perfectly! For us, this is probably as close as it comes to our parents watching the moon landing, at least for a few years.

Being able to watch stuff like this, then take part in conversations about it with people around the world immediately afterwards through services like Twitter, is a big part of what makes the internet so cool.

Daddy of: Yuriko, Sohi, Miku and SK's many kids

12437295384_b307eb5ce8.jpg

milkytea

I've been following this~ I'm very excited! I love seeing the pictures it's sending back.

PrettyCranium

Awesome! They were so excited when it touched down. I can't wait for some good information to start coming back.

wotafarce

I saw a free Xbox download for a game a few weeks back on Tekzilla where you controlled the skycrane descent and you had to try to land the rover accurately, do not know if its still available. I looked pretty cool.

cant wait to see the stuff that it sends back.

JoltFiend

I ended up watching the landing at home. I had the NASA live feed, the Eye in the Sky simulation, and a Google+ Hangout window open for the landing.

I really can't wait to see more pictures that Curiosity sends back.

11698830435_af9057797c_o.jpg

Till Troll

Got up early this morning to watch the live coverage via the Xbox ( am in the UK ). The landing was so cool, I can't wait to see the colour pics and what they find out about the deep history. Congratulations NASA and all the people/entities that worked on this!