Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

MaxArcher

Light Tent

MaxArcher

I thought you guys would be interested in this option. I had written off light tents/light boxes for DD use since you need such a big one to have enough room around the doll for good photos, but it turns out that this Lastolite 3' one is relatively reasonably priced and has ample room.

Here's a shot of the box in use:

7842739182_d6de7048c7_z.jpg

DSC_5992.jpg by otakushots, on Flickr

And the results, lit by two speedlight flashes, one on each side of the box:

7842738916_7b7eff5df6_z.jpg

DSC_5990.jpg by otakushots, on Flickr

Really nice results, huh? The only hitch is that, for full-length shots, you really need to get the vinyl backdrop that Lastolite sells to go inside the box, which costs about $40. I'm about to order one myself. Still, for around $150 total, it's a pretty reasonable way to get great results for DD photos, and of course it'll work for any smaller stuff like figures too. It folds up like a reflector, into a disc about 18" in diameter and 4" or 5" thick, so it's pretty easy to store, too.

DD Beatrice - DD Saber/EXTRA

juu-yuki

It looks great, very professional. I can't afford any lighting/ photography equipments right now, so my only option is my white walls and big windows >^<. Having a light tent would be so much more convenient, I won't have to wait for the sun to come out anymore. lol ^^

katnaper

Nice. What lights do you use or does it come with? Like in a kit of some sort? Sorry for the noob question.

35627757593_19f2b2cd8a_n.jpg

We have our own BLOG. Please visit us at the House of Nyan by clicking this link or our sig above. See you there. Or, come see what Nyanko-sensei is up to at the Katnaper's Den

AntElitist

A light tent eh?

Hmm.....

MaxArcher
Nice. What lights do you use or does it come with? Like in a kit of some sort? Sorry for the noob question.

Sorry for the really delayed response, I forgot I'd posted this thread haha.

They make a version that comes as a kit with lights and stuff but it's pretty expensive. Mine came just as the box, and I used regular camera flashes set to be remotes.

Pretty nice. Where did you order it from?

We actually got this at the local brick & mortar camera store, but all of the major photo retailers should have it, B&H, Adorama, Samy's, etc.

AriKato

So you didn't use lights just your flash? Wow your picture turned out so wonderful, if I try that in my light tent somehow it shows I used the flash light. Thumbs up for you

Stella (NL)

katnaper

They make a version that comes as a kit with lights and stuff but it's pretty expensive. Mine came just as the box, and I used regular camera flashes set to be remotes.

Is it okay to ask what your set-up was? Thanks.

35627757593_19f2b2cd8a_n.jpg

We have our own BLOG. Please visit us at the House of Nyan by clicking this link or our sig above. See you there. Or, come see what Nyanko-sensei is up to at the Katnaper's Den

Xeby

It looks good and I'm very tempted to look into getting something like that. I have lighting umbrellas right now but sometimes they don't seem to get the right distribution needed. It still seems somewhat small though, if you want to do angled shots from up or down, etc. Have you done many pictures with it using less-than-regular straight on photos?

MaxArcher

Is it okay to ask what your set-up was? Thanks.

Two Nikon speedlights (SB-600 and SB-800), one on each side, about 1m/3' away from the box. Same thing could be done with cheap flashes and remotes, it doesn't really matter what they are.

It looks good and I'm very tempted to look into getting something like that. I have lighting umbrellas right now but sometimes they don't seem to get the right distribution needed. It still seems somewhat small though, if you want to do angled shots from up or down, etc. Have you done many pictures with it using less-than-regular straight on photos?

I honestly haven't used it that much yet, I still need to get the backdrop. For different angles, you can always change the angle of the box so that the opening is in a different place, and there are "holes" you can open up in the sides to shoot through, plus one of the side panels come off completely. I don't really like shooting at extreme angles anyway though, anything beyond what you could do with the box and you end up with either a bad angle on the face or the neck looks like it's out of a horror movie.

PrettyCranium

Interesting thread. These are actually reasonably priced. But then I'd need external flashes or some other lighting solution . . . those can be expensive. What do the backdrops look like?

MaxArcher

As far as I know, the only official backdrop they make is a plain white one. You could put just about anything in there with gaffer's tape or whatever, though.

MaxArcher

Still need a backdrop, but I used the tent today for some BJD pics.

8223664342_c4690f56b3_z.jpg

DSC_7150.jpg by otakushots, on Flickr

8222588573_e2ea5bfc5c_z.jpg

DSC_7116.jpg by otakushots, on Flickr

I'm thinking of getting some of those printed BJD backgrounds from ebay. The 70cm BJD ones are just under 3' wide, so should be a perfect fit for the cubelite.