The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

mangaemi

How to make your own headcap protectors?

mangaemi

My sewing skills are broadening thanks to Jadepixel's tutorials (Made some socks yesterday!). Now I'm thinking, why can't I just make my own DD wig/stain head protector?

I'm looking at the one I bought from volks, and it's pretty simple yet I'm trying to figure out the stitch types - I know the edging is done with an overlock stitch, but the other seam I'm having problems with figuring out. Not saying that the cap has to look 100% like the original, but I do like how the seam is hidden...

I can tell it's one piece of fabric too... any one with sewing skills want to help solve this mystery??? : )

♥ ★ ✮ ~ Amassing an army of Anime Cuties ~ ✮ ★ ♥

The Family: Sheryl, Ranka, Kirika, Arlex2, Yoko, Snow Miku, Haruka, Student Mariko, Prisma Illya, Akira, Maria, Cirno, Noumi, Asuna Titania, Sakuya

on the way: want: Sailor Moon, Miki, Yukiho

Mahoro
My sewing skills are broadening thanks to Jadepixel's tutorials (Made some socks yesterday!). Now I'm thinking, why can't I just make my own DD wig/stain head protector?

I'm looking at the one I bought from volks, and it's pretty simple yet I'm trying to figure out the stitch types - I know the edging is done with an overlock stitch, but the other seam I'm having problems with figuring out. Not saying that the cap has to look 100% like the original, but I do like how the seam is hidden...

I can tell it's one piece of fabric too... any one with sewing skills want to help solve this mystery??? : )

For Rin's head cap, I took an old elasticized sleeve cuff, cut to length and sewed the top shut, it works pretty well, though it was fairly thick material, so I ended up having to use a silicone wig cap underneath to stop it from sliding. If you'd like I can take a photo of it at home, since Rin is rather...disassembled at the moment.

mangaemi
If you'd like I can take a photo of it at home,

yea that'd be great!

♥ ★ ✮ ~ Amassing an army of Anime Cuties ~ ✮ ★ ♥

The Family: Sheryl, Ranka, Kirika, Arlex2, Yoko, Snow Miku, Haruka, Student Mariko, Prisma Illya, Akira, Maria, Cirno, Noumi, Asuna Titania, Sakuya

on the way: want: Sailor Moon, Miki, Yukiho

Mahoro

DSC_7780_resize.JPG

Outside

DSC_7779_resize.JPG

Inverted

So more specifically:

1) See how far down the head your girl's wig goes

2) put sleeve cuff piece uncut down to that line you just saw

3) pin along the head approximately where you want to cut

4) cut maybe 2-3mm above the pin line so you have something to sew shut with

5) cut sleeve cuff

6) sew top shut (I hand stitched it with heavy thread, but you might get it even tighter with a sewing machine

6a)Sew the cuff part shut (I trimmed some from the bottom cause it was tattered, so I sewed that shut as well)

7) trim off excess around the stitch

8) enjoy!

Yes, I'm not that skilled of a sewer, so as you can see mine wasn't made with a particularly exact science. The sleeve cuff I think is a small kids size (it was from a scrap fabric pile in my basement), but you can probably elasticize some regular fabric to do the same thing, since like I said, you'll probably need a silicone cap as well to stop it from sliding around. This one is actually v2, v1 is on Haruka's head, not much difference, just this one fits nicer. You will probably also have to fiddle with shoving the cloth under the wig once you have the wig on, as it probably will stick out, but its not a big deal, it doesn't slide back out or anything.

Hope my strange sewing instructions helps a bit with your version!

EDIT: Ok...for some reason it won't take my dropbox links...fixing it atm.

EDIT 2: Fixed, uploaded somewhere else!

Yukamina

Hrm, I used plastic wrap and a rubber band to hold it to her head + help wigs stay on. I figured maybe plastic would be harder to stain through than cloth *newbie* We'll see how this ghetto arrangement works, ha ha...

Innocentsake
Hrm, I used plastic wrap and a rubber band to hold it to her head + help wigs stay on. I figured maybe plastic would be harder to stain through than cloth *newbie* We'll see how this ghetto arrangement works, ha ha...

I've also heard of people using a balloon for a head cap as well though I'm not sure that is what the OP is looking for. But it's always good to know of alternatives! And depending on how dark the wig is it could stain through the plastic wrap though I'm not sure how often that happens. Silicone & cloth head caps can be stained through so there's always a possibility.

Can't wait to see your homemade head cap mangaemi~!

Yukamina

I've also heard of people using a balloon for a head cap as well though I'm not sure that is what the OP is looking for. But it's always good to know of alternatives! And depending on how dark the wig is it could stain through the plastic wrap though I'm not sure how often that happens. Silicone & cloth head caps can be stained through so there's always a possibility.

Can't wait to see your homemade head cap mangaemi~!

Oh, I don't think a balloon would be a good idea! I've heard somewhere about that and how even light colors can stain. That might have been on DOA about resin dolls, but that'd be even worse on vinyl, right?

Zero

Try useing some tights. You can kill two birds with one stone as the saying goes. You can use the leg parts to make a Bodystocking. Hre is a link to that tutorial http://www.murasaki.me/2010/09/13/dd-body-stocking-tutorial/. And you can use the wase band part to make the headcap. I can get about 3 out if it. Use the headcap you have as a pattern. You also want to us the open end that has a fineshed edge so it looks nice. when i can post pic i can show what i am taking about.

Innocentsake
Oh, I don't think a balloon would be a good idea! I've heard somewhere about that and how even light colors can stain. That might have been on DOA about resin dolls, but that'd be even worse on vinyl, right?

Ah that's interesting since I've seen a few videos with people who use this method with white colored ballons, but never mentioned any staining on their resin dolls. But I've never used it myself because I just use the wig caps from Volks :3