Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

JChiibs

A Halloween Recipe

JChiibs

8150075553_fcf7c4f498_z.jpg

Naiomi: "Hello and welcome to my festive cooking show. Normally I'm too busy to cook everyday so I make sure to do something special when the holidays come around. Since today is Halloween, I have dusted off an old crockpot to use for that old world ambiance and mystery. First I'll add these grade A+ brains, in perfect condition and such a pretty rose pink."

8150102182_c86331f2df_z.jpg

Naiomi: "In they go!"

*the ominous pot boils*

8150102838_ee6ae55054_z.jpg

Naiomi: "Now add two robin's eggs."

8150077273_abfbe3a34a_z.jpg

Naiomi: "Make sure they are added whole, otherwise they will dry onto your cookware and it would take an ogre's strength to scrub it off."

8150104084_9598ba4b71_z.jpg

Naiomi: "Next we have a little bit of sugar. You simply can't go wrong with sugar. It makes sweet things sweeter, bitter things better, and it has all the essential nutrients that DD's need. It's just basic nutrition my dearies."

8150104656_05937ce1d8_z.jpg

Naiomi: "Woopsie daisy! The sugar bowl wasn't supposed to fall in. I guess I'll have to fish it out later. For the viewers at home, a spoonful of sugar will do just fine."

*mumbles*

"I hope that doesn't affect my recipe too much... Oh well, that's just part of the fun in cooking!"

8150079069_a0ee67c4ed_z.jpg

Naiomi: "Next we have some rainbow colored bone sprinkles kindly donated by my little brother. Why sprinkles? Can you think of a single reason why not? No? Neither could I. Make sure to sprinkle them into the pot so they don't stick together. Or was it you're not supposed to sprinkle them so the do stick together? Maybe sprinkle half, and then throw the rest in all at once."

8150079649_2ec6f423a2_z.jpg

Naiomi: "Oh, now I have the dish leftover. I'll add that too so the sugar bowl won't be lonely."

8150106418_240cb8bfd5_z.jpg

*The pot makes a large belching sound*

Naiomi: "Oh my! Well, that was a bit unexpected. Now don't be afraid to improvise with new recipes as long as you keep the general idea in mind. If it calls for a certain portion of an ingredient, like swamp moss, don't replace it with half as much of sea sprite spit or the recipe will never work."

*The pot burps again, spilling foam down the side*

8150080963_a1cda24ec0_z.jpg

Naiomi: "Next comes the shrunken skeleton. In most areas these are only available for a short time during the autumn season so grab them before they are sold out for the year. Bring an umbrella with you to the supermarket to fend off those old hags who cut in line last year just so they could keep the best skellies to themselves."

8150107786_e0fa8d750e_z.jpg

Naiomi: "In you go pipsqueak."

8150108422_aef57b9102_z.jpg

Naiomi: "Now for a little something I've been keeping under my hat."

8150082849_6a714d5da2_z.jpg

Naiomi: "Be a nice little fella and hop into the pot."

Tiny Frog: *makes no move that may look like jumping and instead stares at the lovely green clad witch*

Naiomi: "Please?"

Tiny Frog: *pointedly he scoots in the direction away from the pot*

Naiomi: "Oh, well that's all right. I can just save you for later."

Tiny Frog: *happily he croaks* "Ke-ro-ro-ro-pi."

8150109654_23f94d4fb5_z.jpg

Naiomi: "Now, what was that last ingredient..."

8150110278_2c54132095_z.jpg

Naiomi: "Ah yes, here it is! It's my secret ingredient! If you have your own special ingredient, this is the perfect time to add it."

Keroppi: *croaks*

Naiomi: "No, the box is not the secret ingredient my little fellow."

Keroppi: *croaks again and looks meaningfully at the box*

Naiomi: "But if I say what's in the box it won't be a secret. Shush now, I'm trying to make a cooking show."

8150084711_f5d7ac0c98_z.jpg

Naiomi: "At last, everything is in the pot and almost ready."

*The pot begins to boil aggressively, spilling even more froth over the sides*

Keroppi: *croaks nervously*

8150111602_a5df72e35a_z.jpg

Naiomi: "Take your strongest spoon and stir vigorously for half a minute in one direction and two minutes in the opposite direction."

Keroppi: *quickly retreats*

8150085931_dbc24977cb_z.jpg

Naiomi: "My goodness! What happened to my spoon? It was rated for 5000 miles and had a warranty for up to ninety days, but that expired three weeks ago. Well, perhaps I can use it for a prop wand?"

8150086545_041dba74ec_z.jpg

Naiomi: "It seems a bit long but it could work as a gentleman's cane as well. "

8150087177_a169b40d5a_z.jpg

Naiomi: "Oh bother, not again. I was sure this was the recipe for kettle corn. At least both my pots are the same size now."

8150114092_f282d10cb7_z.jpg

Naiomi: "Well folks, now you know a foolproof way to shrink those heavy cauldrons into a more convenient portable size."

8150088381_2bc860fdcf_z.jpg

Naiomi: "Fancy that! It is like a crackerjack box with a prize inside. I wonder what it could be."

8150088965_c40c97d902_z.jpg

Naiomi: "An adorable little... apple? Well anyway, I'm sorry to say that our time is up and I hope you can join me next time. Have a Happy Halloween!"

*mumbles to herself*

"How in the Great Pumpkin does an apple come from all of that? I was sure that the gent in the grocery store said how no one could make kettle corn like his granny. The recipe did seem a bit odd, someone had doodled in the margins but they weren't a very good artist. Perhaps it is a candied apple now with all the sugar. A sweet, perfectly red little apple."

Keroppi: *suspiciously watches the remains of the mysterious spoon*

As for the stick-like spoon, it astutely maintained it's wooden expression.

... To Be Continued?

~Sister Kyoya

12926590414_996a8b87ea_o.png

Forum Blog: Badger Pocket Tales (Family story from the beginning) | { Old Family story reboot: Start Here! }

Follow me on Twitter, Flickr & Instagram

Janeway

nice pictures and love the background.

katnaper

What a great story. Its nice to see that Naiomi has her own show. The dialogue was excellent and those little touches like the pot bubbling over and keroppi coming out of her hat or hiding in her skirts were well done. It makes Naiomi come alive and it was as if I was watching it all happen in real time. More please?

35627757593_19f2b2cd8a_n.jpg

We have our own BLOG. Please visit us at the House of Nyan by clicking this link or our sig above. See you there. Or, come see what Nyanko-sensei is up to at the Katnaper's Den

JChiibs
:) nice pictures and love the background.

Thank you! Despite her white skin I'm really glad that Naiomi is so easy to photograph.

What a great story. Its nice to see that Naiomi has her own show. The dialogue was excellent and those little touches like the pot bubbling over and keroppi coming out of her hat or hiding in her skirts were well done. It makes Naiomi come alive and it was as if I was watching it all happen in real time. More please?

Truth be told, Naiomi has me a bit nervous... I kept asking her if she was acting and her very quick response was "Of course I am Mama!" If you ask me, her reply seems suspiciously scripted. I had originally thought about making her a clown outfit for Halloween but once she saw Panchita's Sock Witch project she went nuts. I told her that it could just be a fancy dress and then Jadepixel posted the hat pattern and Naiomi so wanted to say "I told you so." This whole time I've been asking her if this was just a costume and nothing more and she assured me that there was nothing to worry about...

Then she started pulling things out for the photo story and I suddenly found myself being directed while she decided what she wanted to do. Most of the way through the shoot I just stopped and stared at her holding the burnt 'spoon' and said "No... That's not right..." and Raven started laughing and egging her on. Traitor!

She was never intended to be a magical girl, but I fear the damage is already been done. In retrospect, perhaps it shouldn't have surprised me, it's not like she entirely hid the fact, I just didn't put as much stock in it as I should have. She adores the old movie monsters, and I wonder if her favorite holiday may be Halloween because it's the most theatrical. Even when I did the photos of the hat you made she said it would be a wonderful for a Victorian or Steampunk witch. I asked her if witch hats were supposed to be pointy, not flat on top, and without batting an eye she said "Depends on if she wants to be a fashionable witch!" I love her to pieces but I didn't realize she was aiming to be the perfect high school girl. Where are her flaws???

I think part of it too is I've gotten so used to Tama and how he is just who he's supposed to be without even trying that I started to assume that DD allowed more consultation from their parent as to who they will become. After I thought about it, I had no idea why I started to assume that, it's not like I haven't seen any other photo stories.

~Sister Kyoya

Forum Blog: Badger Pocket Tales (Family story from the beginning) | { Old Family story reboot: Start Here! }

DJStarstryker

Naiomi is way too cute in that green witch outfit. I love it!

Are you ready to rock? ^_^

JChiibs
Naiomi is way too cute in that green witch outfit. I love it!

Thank you! I was really surprised when that green worked so well for her, I originally thought it might look terrible. I get the feeling that Naiomi is going to be full of surprises. Her cuteness is so disarming.

~Sister Kyoya

katnaper

I think part of it too is I've gotten so used to Tama and how he is just who he's supposed to be without even trying that I started to assume that DD allowed more consultation from their parent as to who they will become. After I thought about it, I had no idea why I started to assume that, it's not like I haven't seen any other photo stories.

~Sister Kyoya

I can sympathize quite well. Some DDs, even if we think we know how they will act like, just seem to develop personalities of their own. I think its quite fun to that way since they never cease to surprise me when that happens. And I believe it applies to all dolls, not just DDs. I know I gave up trying to get Kaylus to fit into a more mature role. Nor did I really anticipate Yuu falling for Millie on first sight. Its like the moment thay come out of the box, they look you in the eye and say, 'Uh uh. Nope. Not me," and proceed to dictate things in the house. Its much like having a real child in a way - like how I would like mine to be a girly girl who loves dolls and cute frilly clothes but she'd rather wear pants and play with Lego and build Lego robots . Sigh.

But to get back to the point. I look forward to seeing Naiomi develop and grow. I'm sure she'll be lots of fun. She's already shown she's not only cute but extremely creative as well. I wonder what she's going to come up next?

35627757593_19f2b2cd8a_n.jpg

We have our own BLOG. Please visit us at the House of Nyan by clicking this link or our sig above. See you there. Or, come see what Nyanko-sensei is up to at the Katnaper's Den

mitsuki

She looks fantastic in that costume. Great story! I love the special effects.

Poofiemus

Adorable! Love that you kept tweaking the polyfil in every shot; it really sold the illusion of it being fog/steam. As for the shrinking, it's useful, but unfortunately Agatha saw it and is now talking about building the embiggenating device I've seen her sketching. *sigh*

And lastly, you definitely got a chuckle out of me with the spoon's final line. I always appreciate a good pun; I know they can be a birch to get right!

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

Innocentsake

Oh man this was a great photo story! Watching her add the ingredients and eagerly waiting to see what would come from all of it. Though I never expected the recipe to go from kettle corn to shrinking & apples The background and the bubbling effects were a really nice touch! And I hadn't realized Naiomi's hair was so long till this story! It looks so short looking straight at her hehe. I hope she'll put on another cooking program in the future

JChiibs
Some DDs, even if we think we know how they will act like, just seem to develop personalities of their own. I think its quite fun to that way since they never cease to surprise me when that happens. And I believe it applies to all dolls, not just DDs.

In retrospect I'm starting to realize how lucky I was to start with Tama. His personality suits mine rather well and he's always happy to snuggle when the rest of the world is just too overwhelming. He's been nearly glued to me since yesterday, trying to take full advantage of my first four day weekend this quarter.

Naiomi wasn't intended to have a sneaky streak (She said we needed the big pot of ambiance...) and simply went about what she had intended. This may be why DD are so different for me even though I've always loved dolls. Even my AGs aren't this strong willed and I figured out who they were over time, but it is such a strange feeling trying to figure out a DD and having them argue with me about it. One of the little surprises in my sig was almost a pure accident. She is so different that I don't try and figure her out but instead just ask her. Every time her answers surprise me, and she is surely going to turn our household upside down.

I look forward to seeing Naiomi develop and grow. I'm sure she'll be lots of fun. She's already shown she's not only cute but extremely creative as well. I wonder what she's going to come up next?

She is surely social girl and likes to get her siblings and me involved in whatever she's doing. Dolly thinks she's great because he can talk to her about all sorts of grand crazy plans and he doesn't get into trouble. Despite my insistence that she seems like the perfect 17 yr old, she assures me that she makes mistakes too. "An actress who can't make mistakes isn't a very realistic actress." It will be fun doing more stories with her when I can manage the time.

She looks fantastic in that costume. Great story! I love the special effects.

Thanks! It was fun making the pot look different in every shot and have the individual things that were added "splash" differently.

Adorable! Love that you kept tweaking the polyfil in every shot; it really sold the illusion of it being fog/steam. As for the shrinking, it's useful, but unfortunately Agatha saw it and is now talking about building the embiggenating device I've seen her sketching. *sigh*

And lastly, you definitely got a chuckle out of me with the spoon's final line. I always appreciate a good pun; I know they can be a birch to get right!

Please don't ever let any kind of embiggenating anything near Dolly. He would become the terror of the universe. From what I can tell so far Naiomi isn't bad at magic, she just needs more experience so it's not as bad as it could be. As for the shrinking... it won't be without it's side effects...

I'm really glad that you like the pun. Personally I love them, even some bad ones. For many years I've been writing stories for myself and I get a kick out of giving personalities to inanimate objects. Depending on how complex the puns need to be it can take some time to figure them out and pull it off well, but so worth it. I've done descriptions on entire settings and buildings this way and they tickle me every time I read them. I've been trying to figure out how much novel style writing (rather than the more script style that they are normally done in) to use for my photo stories, but wasn't sure if they would be received as well.

Oh man this was a great photo story! Watching her add the ingredients and eagerly waiting to see what would come from all of it. Though I never expected the recipe to go from kettle corn to shrinking & apples The background and the bubbling effects were a really nice touch! And I hadn't realized Naiomi's hair was so long till this story! It looks so short looking straight at her hehe. I hope she'll put on another cooking program in the future

I appreciate you posting your comment Innocentsake, it reminded me that I hadn't gotten around to commenting to the comments. I have been tempted to add in my sig that if I didn't respond to a post when I should have that people should just kick me in the PM to remind me.

This story is not over for sure. I find it really fun to connect unrelated things, but even I'm still a tiny bit puzzled how Naiomi thought that the weird ingredients were for kettle corn. Generally she's a lot smarter than that. Perhaps it was the influence of Halloween, when normal things look weird.

Tama keeps talking about doing some holiday baking before Christmas and if he asked Naiomi for help I don't think she could say no. She loves the fact that she has such a cute little brother. I didn't expect everyone to be so impressed with the bubbling pot. Hopefully soon-ish the DD will have their own room (once my mom and sister move out) so I can keep backgrounds and whatnot set up so taking pics won't be such a time consuming task. I think it would be fun to do some DD stop motion animation for fun too. Granted I've never done it, but it would be an enjoyable challenge!

~Sister Kyoya