Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Galvatim

Transformers

growcian
2 hours ago, baldylox said:

I always wondered why the original G1 versions of Ratchet and Ironhide differed so vastly from the cartoon show versions.  Was it that difficult back in the day to make the robot modes even close to the cartoon style?  Or were they just lazy when swapping over Takara designs that were already existing in toy form?  As a kid I always wanted an Ironhide that looked like he did in the cartoon.  I got his original toy for my B-day one year and was just so unhappy with how he looked in robot mode.  I loved the character so it was disappointing to see him all funky in toy form.  :)

Billy

The toys were made first in Japan under labels which had nothing to do with TF. The toys were then licensed to be used in the TF line with the cartoons coming later. Some characters went through significant design changes in the cartoon to make them more functional in universe than they would have been if their toy designs were used instead.

Edited by growcian

2B_banner01.jpg.962d91244de709d8a9e140bd8ee9ed52.jpg

Galvatim

Oddly enough, Ironhide and Ratchet appeared in their toy forms in the first issue of Marvel's Transformers comic.  

Most of the series 1 and 2 Transformers toys (along with some later releases, like Ultra Magnus) were reused from Takara's Diaclone toyline.  Diaclone toys included little driver figures, which fit in those little cockpits so many of the Transformers had.  The toy that became Ironhide has what looks like a seat for his head, because that's exactly what it was.  

You know, I'd totally buy a G1 retro style Ratchet retool or new mold based on the cartoon/comic look, in that vintage toy style.  I know there are 3rd party add-ons, but something that actually integrates into the toy would be nice, and more interesting than a reissue.   

Galvatim

My local comic shop has reopened, and I stopped in today.  

49946485196_fa71e8bf11_c.jpg

Ended up buying this on impulse.  

49946774507_62e33854cb_c.jpg

49946205093_df7b459187_c.jpg

With the current line.  A bit taller.

49946994292_d7cb407e50_c.jpg

Some of the parts, such as the elbows and thighs, are reused from Combiner Wars Hot Spot, so here  is Ectotron with my Hosehead made from Power of the Primes Inferno, a retool of CW Hot Spot.  

49946708241_31f8e5f861_c.jpg

49946994042_cda6a7f297_c.jpg

It's rare for the alt mode to be main draw of a Transformers release, but Hasbro did a great job here.  Not to say that good alt modes are rare, just that the character is usually what sells us on the toys, rather than what kind of car or jet it becomes.

49946994112_18548f48fa_c.jpg

49946708321_2ea1d1aa17_c.jpg

Now where's ghost Starscream?  Ectotron needs ghosts to bust Hasbro!  

Edited by Galvatim
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

cfx

That's a bit ugly from the back in robot mode with the way the front fenders and tires look, but is otherwise awesome and it makes a really great car version.

baldylox

OMG DO WANT!!!  That Ecto1 is awesome!  Are they available online for sale at decent prices?  I haven't checked anywhere yet as I just saw this.  That is so frikkin cool!  😄

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Galvatim
59 minutes ago, baldylox said:

OMG DO WANT!!!  That Ecto1 is awesome!  Are they available online for sale at decent prices?  I haven't checked anywhere yet as I just saw this.  That is so frikkin cool!  😄

Billy

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/104312

There are still a few around.

https://shop.hasbro.com/en-hk/product/transformers-toys-generations-masterpiece-transformers-collaborative-ghostbusters-mash-up-mp-10-g-optimus-prime-ecto-35-edition:19E73825-5BA4-4441-9415-438D3BEB1D7F

On the other hand, getting this guy for a reasonable price is probably impossible right now.  

• Thanks 1

baldylox

Thanks for that @Galvatim!  I'll be getting one of him soon!

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Galvatim

49952879522_7b4a3dbef9_c.jpg

X-Transbots G2 Dragstrip, based on the unreleased Generation 2 Stunticons.  Only Breakdown was released, as the first exclusive for Botcon back in 1994.

49952879532_f080881100_c.jpg

49952590456_4d93cb644c_c.jpg

The regular release of Dragstrip is fraught with problems, such as the shoulders cracking and falling apart.  Also, I think the black looks better than the yellow of the original release.  

• Like 1

Galvatim
2 hours ago, cfx said:

Ooh, that's cool, based on the Tyrell P34.

Yep.  The Wiki even mentions Dragstrip and the achronistic use of the car on the cartoon.  Man, I would so buy a Mirage/Elf blue and white redeco of this guy.  XTB has a mysterious combiner on their future release schedule, it could be an Autobot repaint set of the Stunticons: Jazz (Dead End), Sideswipe (Breakdown), Mirage (Dragstrip), Windcharger (Wildrider) and Optimus (Motormaster).  It'd be a fun homage to that episode where these same Autobots disguised themselves as the Stunticons.  

• Like 1

growcian
3 hours ago, Galvatim said:

XTB has a mysterious combiner on their future release schedule, it could be an Autobot repaint set of the Stunticons: Jazz (Dead End), Sideswipe (Breakdown), Mirage (Dragstrip), Windcharger (Wildrider) and Optimus (Motormaster).  It'd be a fun homage to that episode where these same Autobots disguised themselves as the Stunticons.

I like this idea. I hope it happens. 😀

• Like 1

growcian

I've had an awful day at work and for anyone who's been paying attention, you would know I've had some very bad news with my doll hobby as well. I'm trying to make my day feel less 💩 at this point.

I should temporarily steal @cfx's "Drama Doll" custom title. 😆 (I won't.)

20200604_212812.jpg.0d906e820d91b4a91b20ec81148a1778.jpg

I picked this guy up at a local store today during my lunch hour. After seeing images and videos online, I kept flip-flopping on whether to purchase to this day. When I saw the toy in person, I felt it would be a risk worth taking. Total damage was 20.63 USD. I can safely say the purchase was worth it.

20200604_213022.jpg.bd4abac9dd49ad021d789f4832a44689.jpg

20200604_213908.jpg.f40068b4e441a340f997872f072454fd.jpg

20200604_214904.jpg.90f266ad7df646c1cf498e04bae10d89.jpg

As usual, I used a soda can as a prop to show how big the toy is.

Despite some parts forming aspect of the transformation, the engineering which went into this inexpensive toy is absolutely amazing.

Cliffjumper was not a character I was partial to when I originally saw the G1 cartoons and I never owned the G1 toy itself. Despite those factors, ER Cliffjumper is an amazing toy well worth the asking price. He's definitely a toy I can recommend.

• Like 2

Galvatim

Cliffjumper was one of my first Transformers, so I'm kind of interested in this one.  Looks pretty nice.  

49973381943_d0aa401168_c.jpg

I added another childhood first and favorite, Dinobot Sludge, in the form of Giga Power Gigasaurs Graviter, to my Masterpiece collection.  

49973898661_f6f9a75e27_c.jpg

49973898666_857e84b360_c.jpg

His sword and gun can light up, although no batteries are included.  There's also a flame effect for the sword, and the two smaller guns I hsave on the shoulders can also be held in the hands.  

49973899146_348d042f98_c.jpg

Dino mode!  Brontosaurus?  

49973382233_c76106ab45_c.jpg

Mouth flame throwers.  

49973899131_f3442f203b_c.jpg

This guy is big, heavy, and pretty cool.  I don't think I'll get a full set of Dinobots.  I already have two versions of MP-08 Grimlock, and neither the Giga Power set or the Fans Toys set are scaled to him.  Sludge works as a bigger robot than Grimlock, due to the alt mode, but the others should be about the same size.  

• Like 2

growcian
9 hours ago, Galvatim said:

I added another childhood first and favorite, Dinobot Sludge, in the form of Giga Power Gigasaurs Graviter, to my Masterpiece collection.

Oh, nice! 😀

Years ago, I received... Well, I'm not sure if it was a Diaclone or a KO of a Diaclone Sludge as a gift. It was so long ago, I can't remember who gave it to me. I transformed the toy so much, it eventually broke. I don't have it anymore. It was likely thrown away decades ago.

Fast forward to today, I pondered looking into buying a more modern version of the Dinobots team. After doing some research, I liked the Gigapower ones the most. Then came the sticker shock. $200~$220 each. Me saying "sticker shock" might sound silly because I collect dolls. However, $200 will buy one gorgeous outfit or a not-so-elaborate outfit plus accessories for one of my girls. All five Dinobots? $1000~$1100. I had to weigh how much I wanted to buy MP-class Dinobots vs. doll stuff and my girls got clothes instead.

Even if cost wasn't an issue, availability was the bigger one. I came into the third party TF game not too long ago so the specific versions of Gigapower Dinobot toys became unavailable or skyrocketed in price.

9 hours ago, Galvatim said:

I don't think I'll get a full set of Dinobots.

This is understandable. It's tough to do so when there are five of them, they cost $200+ each, and the time window of their availability is very short.

If I want a modern version of the Dinobots, I might be better off settling for the Legends scale DX9 Dinobot gift box.

Galvatim

I have the Power of the Primes Dinobots.  I think that's the only complete set of Dinobots I have, ignoring stuff like Animated, which only had 3 of the Dinobots.  For whatever reason, I never picked up Snarl from the Bayformers Dinobots set, and I kick myself for never finishing the 3rd party Just I Toys set, little legends class guys that were just like the G1 toys.  

I paid about $270 after shipping.  I know Giga Power is rerunning these guys with a weathered deco right now.  Shipping is really killing the eBay sales from China right now.  That really puts a dampener on my desire to buy more.  I'd spring for G2 turquoise Grimlock or green Snarl, but not much else.  

I've heard mostly good things about the DX9 set.  Sounds like the transformations might be a little fiddly.   The DX9 legends I have are pretty nice, though.  I'm holding out hope for a dino mode Dinobot set from Iron Factory, I've pretty much stopped buying any other legends class figures.  

Edit: I forgot about the mysterious Studio Series 86 Grimlock.  It's widely theorized to be a 1986 TFTM Grimlock, with credibility added by the Studio Series 86 Gnaw listing.  Grimlock and a Sharkticon?  Yeah, makes sense.  2021 would be the 35th anniversary of TFTM, too.  

Edited by Galvatim
  • Like 1

Galvatim

50035693076_d36e15305d_c.jpg

Transformers Victory Galaxy Shuttle.  

50035692846_bfc525d927_c.jpg

I'll be honest, this is the KO.  The original prices out around the price of DD Sasara, and will probably be incomplete, yellowed and in a damaged box.  I paid $90, which beats 120,000 yen.  This is a toy originally from 1989.  I have a minty fresh display piece.  Oh, for whatever reason, Targetmaster Fracas is included, so my vintage G1 Scourge has a gun probably now.  

50035949062_004d48ea4b_c.jpg

Decently sized, about the height of G1 Jetfire.  

50059265402_8ab6831348_c.jpg

I also picked up Legendary Nemesis Prime, a redeco of Legendary Optimus Prime, a leader class release tied in to (though not actually based on) the Bumblebee movie.  

50059265202_52bcb5ea10_c.jpg

This is upscaled and improved from the voyager class Evasion Mode Optimus toy from the 4th live-action Transformers movie.  The one with the Dinobots in it for maybe five minutes.  

50059021336_664145c1d4_c.jpg

I added this pair of black and gold swords to my Manda order to get over the 5,000 yen mark.  Takara offered them as a gift with purchase campaign at some point.  I think they go well with Nemesis, and a number of Nemesis Prime toys include swords.  

50058449298_afd00e6d0c_c.jpg

50059020476_9c35f873b4_c.jpg

One of my favorite features is the changeable face gimmick.  It's a huge improvement over the mouth face of the original Evasion Optimus.  

50059264682_c9e2bb5f3d_c.jpg

I'll be leaving the face with the traditional mouth plate showing.  I'm glad I'm not locked into the mouth face the way the older toy was.  

I'm tempted to track down the Optimus version of this guy.  It's a nice figure.  Mine was 4,500 yen, which is under the $50 the average leader class sells for.  Totally worth it.  

Gabriel

I tried to get Earthrise Skywarp and Thundercracker.  The Target website said they were in stock at the local store.

So, I went there.  Nope.  No indication they were ever there.  No sticker on the shelf.  No space that looked like they might have been stuck there.  No far away endcap where they had been hidden.  Nothing.

Got back home and by that time they were delisted from the website.

I found out about the Back to the Future tie in.  Then I found out that it was already sold out.

I really can't decide whether I hate WalMart or Target more.  Dealing with either is such a clustermess.

Other than that... nothing.  I've been waiting two weeks for BBTS to ship my pile of loot which at least has Earthrise Optimus and plane version Shatter.

No luck on Macross toys either.  Every time I find out about a new release, the pre-order is already sold out before the option for pre-order is even available.

Galvatim
46 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

I found out about the Back to the Future tie in.  Then I found out that it was already sold out.

Yeah, I heard Walmart sold out in a flash.  The good news is that was just the limited edition of 1985 pieces, most likely originally an SDCC exclusive.  Another round is coming, to at least Hasbro Pulse.  

There's also a Top Gun F-14 tie-in due out later this year.  No distribution info yet.

I've been searching for the ER Skywarp and Thundercracker, too, with no luck so far.  It should show up in saturation in a month or so, if this set trends the way past Target exclusives have.  

Oh, MP Starscream version 3 will be a thing.  No pics yet, just the announcement with a silhouette. 

Gabriel

Went back to Target to get the Godzilla: Tokyo Clash boardgame.  While I was there, I checked Transformers.

They had an endcap with a Skywarp/Thundcracker $49.99 sticker, but, of course, no stock.

They did have a Studio Series Soundwave, and when I saw the figure in person I thought it looked fairly neat, so I snagged it.

Galvatim

@Gabriel That Seekers 2pk is driving me crazy.  None of the 5 Targets in my area even have the shelf tag up.  Dirge and Thrust have leaked, so Hasbro is making all 6.  Add in that Target erroneously has a street date of December on Earthrise Astrotrain, which the shelves are full of, so they won't sell it to me.  I'm starting to think just collecting Masterpiece would be easier.  Seriously, Dirge would complete my MP Seekers, and Inferno and Hoist would finish off my Autobot cars, leaving me with a few TFTM characters and just hoping for Runamuck, Runabout and the Protectobots to happen.   

Gabriel

OK, I managed to get an order in online for pickup today at Target.  According to the site, it was the last Seekers 2 pack the store had.  I have yet to get a confirmation that my order has processed, though.

Even if this works out, this is still ridiculous.  This should be as simple as ordering the Amazon 2 pack was.  Navigate to the site.  Add to cart.  Check out.  Done.  Not this garbage of checking the site every day hoping that it might show up.

Oh, I had also signed up for a restock reminder.  Never got one.  I just happened to catch them in stock by complete luck.

Anyway, if I am able to pick up my order, this will be the first time in any subline that I've had all three of the original Seekers.

Edit: 

And, NOPE.  No confirmation until an hour and a half after I placed the order.  Then an hour and a half after that they simultaneously charged my card and updated the order saying that it can't be fulfilled at my store and cannot be shipped.  

Not a happy camper right now.

Edited by Gabriel

Galvatim

Hopefully there are more 2pks on the way in a month or so.  I haven't had much trouble with Target exclusives in the past, they always seem to turn up.  The GI Joe Classified figures have me just as upset and annoyed.  Beachhead and Cobra Trooper are must-haves in my collection.  

The Amazon preorders went very smoothly, I have both the coneheads and Prowl/Ironhide on order.  Sleep Mode Optimus is already here.  Really needs more battle damage, even if it's just paint.  And GI Joe's Storm Shadow was an easy preorder, too.  

Let's not even talk about those Walmart exclusives.  

Galvatim

Still can't find the Target Seekers 2pk, or the 6" Joes that just hit.  

50166772786_27449cf8a9_c.jpg

I found this special friend, though.  

50190580376_eb512df03f_c.jpg

This nifty little pair of Astrotrains is made by Mech Fan Toys.  

50190034333_6e7c009b60_c.jpg

50190837362_0ebac20225_c.jpg

50190834547_1ea6171efc_c.jpg

Astrotrain with Magic Square Cyclonus, Megatron, Soundwave and cassettes, and Newage Insecticons.  They scale together well.  

• Like 1

Gabriel

I might have to snag that Astrotrain.

One of the things which I don't like which all modern Astrotrain takes seem to share is the stubby shuttle nose attached to the bulky box look.  The original nose is more tapered, and the box look (where the cargo bay meets the nose) is much less pronounced.

Galvatim

It's a nice little Astrotrain.  The vintage G1 beats it in both alt modes, but the robot mode is excellent.  I'll probably get the 3rd version, (black/white/purple Hasbro toy colors) if only to get the toy style heads.