Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Galvatim

Transformers

Gabriel
2 hours ago, Galvatim said:

Is Bandai still releasing that 1/35 scale VF-1?  

I don't think there's been any news on that 1/35 for a couple of years now.  Bandai seems busy with the 1/48 Valks for right now.

I also recall there was a 1/20 being displayed.

kct

To be fair, 1/35 is a very odd scale for something that's meant to be primarily a jet. It'll run into issues if you're attempting to cross-display with other planes (which are normally 1/32).

Built up my brother's Jinbao Devastator (OS Gravity Builder) a while back. It's... massive, close enough to the size of the Unite Warriors/Combiner Wars Devastator.

finnleo
On 5/4/2019 at 1:48 AM, kct said:

To be fair, 1/35 is a very odd scale for something that's meant to be primarily a jet. It'll run into issues if you're attempting to cross-display with other planes (which are normally 1/32).

Some model builders probably already know this, but scale is a bit of a relative thing. and can vary from manufacturer as to how accurately something goes into a certain scale.

In gunpla-land Bandai released Nadesico aestevalises in the same size as their 1/144 gunpla. This meant that the Aesti were sold as 1/48 scale models (Since they are quite a bit smaller in technical lore than Gundams), but then when you compare the Bandai 1/48 aestevalis to a Yamato 1/48 VF-1 valkyrie, the valkyrie's pilot figure would have no way of fitting in the Aesti control pod. So they should technically have been .. maybe 1/60 scale aestis if the valkyries size is accurate.

so the 1/35 could just be pulled out of a hat to fill a spec sheet.

Edited by finnleo

Galvatim

As long as the Battriod mode is about the same height as Mp Ultra Magnus or Fans Hobby Power Baser, Bandai can sell it in any scale they want.  I'm even cool with a model kit, as long as it transforms.  A model would be easier to paint up as Jetfire.  

I picked up Siege Sixgun, Hound and Prowl, as well as Studio Series Dropkick (helicopter) and Newage's legends Jazz.  Hound is pretty cool.  Newage Jazz really needs the door wings, the figure just looks so off without them.  Sixgun and Dropkick aren't too bad, but I'm not impressed at all with Prowl.  The space car mode is plain and boring, and the robot mode is very hollow.  

Gabriel
10 minutes ago, Galvatim said:

As long as the Battriod mode is about the same height as Mp Ultra Magnus or Fans Hobby Power Baser, Bandai can sell it in any scale they want.  I'm even cool with a model kit, as long as it transforms.  A model would be easier to paint up as Jetfire.   

My G1 Jetfire stands in front of Power Baser.  It's shorter.  The head comes up to the upper portion of HiQ.  I think the chunky munkey it's based on was considered 1/55.  So I'd think a 1/48 should be about all you'd need to get comparable height.  Wait for Bandai to start doing DYRL Valks in their 1/48 DX line.  Then grab a Hikaru VF-1S.  Yeah, the black and red are reversed on a Hikaru compared to a Jetfire, but maybe close enough.

Galvatim

Got 3A Bumblebee.

47986459447_39e54e8bf4.jpg

47986459402_f9d92af21a.jpg

47986458663_6ff9c795b5.jpg

Very cool figure.  Non-transforming, of course, but it makes up for that with the excellent paint and sculpt.

• Like 1

baldylox

Wow!  He looks awesome!  And at 2 feet tall he'll be the same size as the DD girls!  That will cause some fun adventures I hope.  😄

I'm wanting that new vintage version of Soundwave that's supposed to be hitting Walmart soon.  He's one of my all time fave characters and I really want that vintage re-release of him.  :)  I know my local stores will never have him so I hope I can get him on their website when he's available.

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Galvatim

I might get Omega.  He'd probably look fine with Masterpiece, too.  

I've got a Takara reissue Soundwave, and a smattering of cassettes.  Word is, cassette 2pks will be reissued at Walmart for around $20, too.  Might try to get a few, I still need Rumble, Frenzy and Ratbat.  

48067555661_3fea0c3ece.jpg

Picked up Magic Square MS-01X 3rd party Optimus.  Because I need more Optimus, I only have 7 versions of MP-01 and 2 of MP-10, with MP-44 preordered.  

48067608293_852f5858fc.jpg

He can do the Van Damme.  

48067607443_75624a2d8c.jpg

Quite a poseable figure.  Also, turns into a truck well enough.  Sorry, didn't take a pic of truck mode, but it's fine.  Typical red truck with an oversized rear hitch section.  I'll pick up the other 3rd party Optimus, TE-01, at some point, although, in the end, I think Takara's MP-44 will win out due to the trailer, gimmicks and accessories.  

• Like 1

Gabriel

I heard there's going to be a new Astrotrain that looks a lot better than the Titans Return version.  Also, Apeface.  I'll have to pick those up.

I hadn't heard of the G1 Soundwave re-release.  I might have to pick that up as well.  I still have my original G1 Soundwave, but I'm up for having a commemorative edition.  Dunno why I never got one of the many previous commemorative versions.

baldylox

I'd love to have all the cassettes to go with Soundwave.  As a kid, I had every cassette they released.  That includes those odd sets where 2 tapes made vehicles or animals but stuck together to make a larger robot.  I really loved the tapes and how cool the designs could be while stuck within the confines of being a cassette.

I hope they do release a bunch of the tapes in pairs like they did originally.  That'd be awesome.

Billy

Lyrajean
9 minutes ago, baldylox said:

I'd love to have all the cassettes to go with Soundwave.  As a kid, I had every cassette they released.  That includes those odd sets where 2 tapes made vehicles or animals but stuck together to make a larger robot.  I really loved the tapes and how cool the designs could be while stuck within the confines of being a cassette.

I hope they do release a bunch of the tapes in pairs like they did originally.  That'd be awesome.

Billy

I loved Soundwave.... got rid of most of my collection years ago unfortunately.

Edited by Lyrajean

baldylox

Yeah me too.  I had every G1 toy starting with the original line and stopping somewhere around the release of the Seacons.  The only ones I didn't have were a few of the really big ones like Omega Supreme and Fortress Maximus.  I sold most of mine to fund my wedding back in 2000.  Had I know that would end in divorce I wouldn't have sold them off.  😛  I did manage to keep a few of my favorites tho!

Here you can see all 5 Dinobots.  They were my favorite group as a kid.  There's also Tracks, Kup as a Targetmaster and Skylynx.

48148088081_4a638afa92_z.jpgDSC_1971 by Billy  Bennett, on Flickr

And here you see Optimus Prime and Jetfire.  Jetfire was my favorite jet and still is.

48148086881_8182a3127b_z.jpgDSC_1972 by Billy  Bennett, on Flickr

You can also see the newer TF toys I have there but not seen are the Aerialbots and a few vintage re-releases.  I might break them out soon and put them out somewhere.  😉

Billy

Galvatim

Nice little collection, Billy!  

I sold my G1 collection back in 1999 or so.  A few of my favorites, such as Jazz and Mirage, didn't make it that long.  I have since bought most of them back, either reissues or vintage.  I've also acquired a few that I've always wanted.  Yeah, I never had a G1 Galvatron, until I got the reissue.   

• Like 1

Gabriel

Here's my remaining/surviving G1 crew.

48155769481_0288347218_b.jpg

I also have a G1 era Powermaster Prime, but he didn't make the photo.  One of his shoulder cannons is broken and he's far too dirty.  I also have a commemorative edition Powermaster Prime, but it didn't seem right to include him and not include my original.

The Jetfire is not my original.  He was purchased on ebay sometime around 1999, but I figure he's been around long enough to be included with my others.  Plus, as I've said time and time again, Jetfire is part of my holy trinity of favorite Transformers along with Soundwave and Shockwave.

Technically, the Dirge is not my original either.  Only the wings, hands, and missiles are.  The body is a replacement.  I have no idea how I lost the body but kept all the parts all these years.

Edit:

And just because I felt like it, here's my Mega-Doragon area.  Technically Siege Soundwave, Laserbeak, and Shockwave are in there.

48156147457_dbe5af56c6_b.jpg

Edited by Gabriel
adding another image.

growcian

I just received an update e-mail from Amazon. Omega Supreme's release was delayed until October.

@onion13@

2B_banner01.jpg.962d91244de709d8a9e140bd8ee9ed52.jpg

Gabriel

Galvatim, have you put in your Unicron pledge yet?  @onion36@

I picked up the new Commander Jetfire.  He's Skyfire.  He definitely isn't flawless.  He has a huge gap on his underside in jet mode.  He has weak hip joints.  The breast panels keep on popping out.  I'm completely bewildered why they didn't make the armor chestplate in such a way that it could be used to cover the undercarriage jet gap, especially when it's so close to the perfect size and shape to do so.  I'm similarly bewildered why they didn't make a way for his gun to peg in on the undercarriage along the centerline, especially when they provided a useless peg hole there which is exactly the wrong size to peg the gun into and inaccessible to the gun peg.

But those are just nits.  I like him.  He has presence.  I like all the little grebles on him.  I'm actually glad I picked him up.

I also picked up Perfect Effect's Psychro Knight.  He's the blue version of my red dragon (Mega Doragon) pictured above.  I like blue dragons.

He's pretty much the same as Mega Doragon, same strengths, same weaknessess.  I like this new blue one a lot better in robot mode than the red one, though.  I'm not sure why.  I just think the blue makes the robot mode look better.

I decided to get Studio Scale Optimus.  I also ordered the helicopter version of Dropkick because I think he's a cool helicopter.  I have Red Alert and KSI Boss on pre-order.  

Studio scale leader Blackout has made me appreciate some of the movie Transformers toys even though I think the Bayformers movies are absolute drek.

Galvatim

I haven't pledged for Unicron yet.  I can't believe Hasbro is closing orders on August 31st, right after Takara releases the $400 MP-44.  Not smart timing.  I'm pretty sure I can manage it, but I want to pay off my credit card from Kitsune Kon last weekend first.  

Silverwing was sharing pics of his Jetfire with me, looks pretty cool.  I bet Nonnef will offer up some accessories to fix the way the chest armor and gun attach.  

I got X-Transbots Klaatu, an MP style Cosmos.  The spring action gimmick for the head reveal came broken. Besides that, it's a cool little figure.  I'm hoping the eBay seller I bought from will help me out.  

Gabriel

Well, you were right about Studio Bumblebee Optimus.  I'm glad I broke down and picked him up.

Now I'm tempted to pick up Siege Optimus.  Gah!

I fixed my original G1 Powermaster Prime.  I managed to dig the broken peg out of his arm, and I bought him two brand new shoulder cannons so he'd have matching color guns.  My old PM Prime has had a rough life.  He's discolored from age.  Needs a good cleaning.  He broke a leg a few years ago requiring a transplant.  He's nowhere near Ship of Theseus levels yet, but he's on that path.

Maybe I need to do a picture of my PM Primes: original, commemorative, Titan's Return, Magnus Prime with Perfect Effect parts, and Power Baser.

That black Power Baser still beckons.  Trying to resist it so hard.

The recent War for Cybertron announcements resulted in me placing a slew of pre-orders.  Astrotrain is probably the most important to me of the bunch. 

I finally saw the Bumblebee movie.  I severely dislike the previous live action Transformers movies, but Bumblebee is pretty good.  I LIKE it!  It was silly, but it was silly trying to emulate the feel of the old cartoon as well as 80s kid meets an alien movies, not just silly for the sake of being silly like the other movies.  And the various robots had a slick updated look while still being distinctive and resembling their origins.

With regards to Unicron, I have decided... I'm probably Not going to.  I started thinking about it, and while he'd be an absolutely spectactular display piece and centerpiece of a Transformers collection, the figure wouldn't be a good fit for me and what I want out of my Transformers.  

And no announcement of Skorponok.  What the hell, man?  When is Hasbro going to do a Titan Skorponok?

Man, I loved the first Bayformers movie. I don't know what it was about it, but it just worked for me. The second one was okay and they all went downhill after that. I even rewatched that horrible Mark Wahlberg one the other day to make sure I didn't like it. Absolute garbage. I'm glad to hear that Bumblebee might be good.

Galvatim

5420282397_2db4920dcb.jpg

I no longer have my vintage PM Prime, but I do have a vintage G1 Ginrai.  Takara's God Ginrai reissue was one of the first import toys I bought.  

27978405757_8de3c5e889.jpg

Sounds like you need Maketoys Thunder Manus. 

I'm thinking about getting Power Baser ver. 2.  I ordered the chrome thighs kit for my ver. 1 already.  

Picked up MPM-07 VW Bug Bumblebee, not bad, but the 3A Bumblebee is more accurate.  The MPM has door wings, and was clearly based on an earlier design.  I generally prefer transforming Transformers, but in this case, get the 3A figure and a VW Beetle replica.  I really enjoyed the movie, so I want the most accurate Bumblebee I can get.  

Titan Skorponok is heavily rumored for next year.  There's supposedly a commander class figure that ties in with Omega Supreme, too.  The obvious guesses are Skylynx or Galaxy Shuttle, but with Astrotrain releasing soon, that might be too many shuttles on the market.  You know there will be a classic white and black shuttle Astrotrain.  

I'm hoping for a Fans Hobby Skorponok, at about the height of Power Baser, based on the Marvel Transformers comic from the 80s.  

Galvatim

48295478771_7b0910d8ce.jpg

Car surfing.

I know Fans Toys announced a second version of Seaspray, but I don't have any problems with this first take.  I totally ordered X-Transbots' G2 purple Seaspray, though.  The guady G2 colors and wacky beach ball, pail and shovel really make the figure.  

48293415452_bba07398ec.jpg

I want to like XTB's Cosmos ("Klaatu"), too, but mine came broken.  The head won't lock down for UFO mode.  The eBay seller is contacting XTB for me, but I'm not expecting much, even if they send replacement parts, I'll need to disassemble the figure to install them.  

48392347681_494e92424d.jpg

Jazz and Stepper are helping out Elita-1's team until I dig up my Moonracer and get Lancer in the mail.  

Gabriel

I visited every Walmart in the area yesterday.  I managed to find the Vintage G1 Frenzy/Laserbeak pack.  According to the website, the same store had 6 Soundwave/Buzzsaws, but I didn't see any.  I was intending to head out there again today as well as take a little Saturday drive about 50 miles down the road to visit another Walmart, but...

It seems every time I do any considerable amount of driving around, I get a flat or a leak in one of my tires.  Like... any time I do anything other than just drive to work and to the grocery store or other regular everyday commute stuff I get a flat.  So, right now my car is at the shop having the tires checked.  @onion18@

And, don't judge me too harshly, I decided to order a "reissue" G1 Shockwave.  Yes, I know it's a KO.  I just miss my old original purple space gun.  I'll let you know how it goes.

I might get a shackwave version of Cloud 9 Quakeblast.  Anyone know the story with this?  At one point they were on BBTS, but got delisted.  I suppose they got categorized as KOs?

As for Hasbro's upcoming Galactic Man repaint of Siege Shockwave...  Well, I like my Siege Shockwave.  He's a neat little figure.  But buying him again in a different color?  I'm not sure if he's that neat.

The problem is the basic figure feels more like a Deluxe class, not even Voyager class.  The accessories don't really make it feel worth the Leader class price point, especially when it's a repaint of a figure I already own.

Galvatim

Sounds like everyone is looking for reissue Soundwave.  I wouldn't mind getting Rumble and Frenzy, but I bought Takara's reissues of Soundwave and Soundblaster years ago.  

No judgement, I bought a bootleg MP Ratbat.  I like MP Soundwave, but I don't need a black repaint just for a new cassette.  Given the various fragile bits of Shockwave, I can't blame you for getting the KO either.  I got one for around $100, back when BBTS sold vintage toys, and later bought a lot of parts just to get a new gun hand with the tip that frequently breaks off.  

I think BBTS took the listing for Cloud 9 Quakeblast off just because it sold out.  I've got to say, regular Quakeblast has a great looking shade of purple.  MP Shockwave has that totally wrong light lavender color.  I know there's the plus version, but I don't feel like spending another $200 on another copy of a toy I have, just to get it in the color it should have been.  

I'm not feeling Galactic Man/Shackwave either.  It's a nice enough figure, but I don't need a second. I'm skipping Galaxy Force Optimus, too.  I have the Cybertron Optimus toy, which looks so much better.  Plus, the combined mode with Sonic Bomber is awesome, and something the new version lacks.  

Gabriel

And, after a long day, I found all the G1 Soundwave reissues.  I bought two sets, just so I could have one set to open and one set to marvel at being MISB.  I was so happy, I even put the stickers on the Soundwave I opened.  

(Except for the speaker stickers.  I always regretted putting those on my original.)

I even picked up a Siege Optimus.

Very good Transformers day.

48455414592_31d6570a19_b.jpg

Edited by Gabriel
  • Like 1