Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
mitsuki

Volks USA Kyoto 8 Regular Items

MaxArcher
I feel so bad for those who didn't get what they wanted - why Volks just doesn't make more of these items is beyond me. If they sell out in 2 minutes - just make more.

"Make it, they will sell"

I was fortunate enough to get my 2 maid outfits I wanted. Decided to skip the floppy bunny eared pajamas to same some money.

For many of the people in the resin BJD community, the extremely limited production aspect is a large draw. Look to the popularity of limited dolls that are made in runs of only 20 or 50 for a good example of that. There really is a large contingent for whom the hobby is about having the largest collection of the rarest dolls and items.

I think that that's much less common in the DD community, but Volks is only just starting to figure us out.

DD Beatrice - DD Saber/EXTRA

mitsuki

I totally agree with MaxArcher. The one-offs are considered very valuable because someone famous to doll enthusiasts did the faceup and they are one-of-a-kind.

I think you are right the Volks is starting to realize how we differ from the resin community.

jadepixel

I didn't go in for this round, but congrats to folks who managed to get anything! This was a tough one.

How do you put in for things through Kerbey Lane? That knowledge could prove useful soon >:D

baldylox
I didn't go in for this round, but congrats to folks who managed to get anything! This was a tough one.

How do you put in for things through Kerbey Lane? That knowledge could prove useful soon >:D

You would need to get on their mailing list in order to participate in their sales. You can either call them on the phone ( they're in Texas ) or you can email Rochelle thru their website. Rochelle is great and she's easy to talk to. And she is usually very quick with replies to emails. Tell her I sent you if you wind up talking to her.

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Galvatim

I got a pair of shoes. One of the high heeled, white strappy pairs.I had the adorable maid set in my cart, but it sold out while I was checking out. I ended up buying an older MDD outfit instead.

Volks should at least reissue older outfits more often. I'd love another chance at Natsuki's school uniform and goth/punk set, for starters.

jadepixel

Thanks Billy!

I'm signed up now for the KL twitter feed so I should be able to keep track of this stuff. I did try for Neris through KL and Rochelle was very nice and quick to reply. I don't think that KL profits much from the Volks items but I'm sure the publicity helps. Next time I'm in Austin I'll drop by and show my support

baldylox
Thanks Billy!

I'm signed up now for the KL twitter feed so I should be able to keep track of this stuff. I did try for Neris through KL and Rochelle was very nice and quick to reply. I don't think that KL profits much from the Volks items but I'm sure the publicity helps. Next time I'm in Austin I'll drop by and show my support

Good deal! I'm glad you're signed up with them now. I wish I could drop in on them but I'm way too far away to do so. Ah well, as long as I can help them a little, I'm happy.

Billy

OtakuDepot
For many of the people in the resin BJD community, the extremely limited production aspect is a large draw. Look to the popularity of limited dolls that are made in runs of only 20 or 50 for a good example of that. There really is a large contingent for whom the hobby is about having the largest collection of the rarest dolls and items.

I think that that's much less common in the DD community, but Volks is only just starting to figure us out.

I'm really starting to think that's what Volks is doing. I commented about it in this thread before:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=516&p=7473&hilit=limited+run#p7584

By making such a limited number of items it helps create a bit of a buying panic, making it easier to charge more for their clothes. All related to 'supply and demand':

From another website:

http://www.awaionline.com/2010/10/5-ways-to-charge-higher-prices/

The first factor is supply and demand. According to simple economics, the greater the demand for something and the more limited the supply, the more the seller can charge and get paid for it.

I got 2 outfits yesterday and spent about $180. If I think about it "logically" it's absurd. I may spend $400 a year for clothes for myself!!! (I'm not friends with Mr. Fashion )

I can't really blame Volks, they are a business after all and I'm a big believer in capitalism.

**James

Otaku Depot's growing family.

6176759571_b2375fa7d7_o.jpg

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

― Terry Pratchett, Jingo

littlebearries

The first factor is supply and demand. According to simple economics, the greater the demand for something and the more limited the supply, the more the seller can charge and get paid for it.

I got 2 outfits yesterday and spent about $180. If I think about it "logically" it's absurd. I may spend $400 a year for clothes for myself!!! (I'm not friends with Mr. Fashion )

I can't really blame Volks, they are a business after all and I'm a big believer in capitalism.

**James

It's absolutely true... yet, at the same time, when I get a Volks outfit... it lasts... I've had so many outfits from other companies with little parts that just fall off... or buttons that become easily unsewn because they weren't sewn properly. I've never had that problem with Volks stuff... so if there's something I really want, I'm willing to endure the drama of trying to get it!

... at the same time... I think doll people (probably not so much DD folk as the resin buyers) tend to forget that Volks isn't *just* a BJD company, they sell a LOT of other product... and it has to be a big part of their income... so it probably isn't worth their time to cater to clothing and shoes when there are so many other people (like vendors at Dollpas) and companies that do... plus I've read and heard Mr Shigeta say that they like to encourage people to make and sell things for their dolls... so I suppose if they made and released clothing stuffs in large amounts... they would be competing even more with the people they're trying to encourage.

7782845246_e35680d49e_o.png

baldylox

Before I visited Japan, I had no knowledge of Volks other than their resin and DD girls. When I visited their showrooms tho, my eyes were opened!

They had 2 or 3 floors of stuff in Akihabara! One floor was all for model trains and military stuff, it was insane. I never knew they did so much of that or for figures and statues. Here I was thinking they were a doll company and that was it.

So it does make lots of sense that Volks doesn't put too much stock in the DD side of things. From what I gather, the DD line was just a side project really and wasn't thought to last long. Only in the last couple of years has it changed so much and begun to grow more rapidly.

I just hope someone at Volks sees the demand for stuff over here and will try and help it become easier to get. That will only make things better for them in the long run. I know the whole supply and demand bit but still, double a production run on something and it will STILL be sold out quickly.

Billy

littlebearries

So it does make lots of sense that Volks doesn't put too much stock in the DD side of things. From what I gather, the DD line was just a side project really and wasn't thought to last long. Only in the last couple of years has it changed so much and begun to grow more rapidly.

Billy

The story that Mr. Shigeta told us was that his wife wanted the company to make an action figure for girls (since they have a few daughters, lol) and that is how the Dollfie was born XD

Dollfie = Doll Figure (most people probably know this, but just in case someone doesn't)

baldylox
The story that Mr. Shigeta told us was that his wife wanted the company to make an action figure for girls (since they have a few daughters, lol) and that is how the Dollfie was born XD

Dollfie = Doll Figure (most people probably know this, but just in case someone doesn't)

And that makes perfect sense too! I didn't know about that part of the story so thanks for telling me!

Billy

littlebearries

And that makes perfect sense too! I didn't know about that part of the story so thanks for telling me!

Billy

No problem... seriously, meeting Mr. Shigeta and his daughter Mikey only made me LOVE Volks all that much more, because it's absolutely apparent how much *they* love Dollfie... and their work. I was really impressed by how authentic he was.

Nakitaninja

To be perfectly honest I really like the limited nature of Volks items- but not because of the bragging rights (I've known a lot of people with that problem and it is not an attractive one). I think it's fun to pick out limited things and attempt to get them- I love the lotteries. If I lose, which happens as often as not, I still have plans for the money to go towards some other aspect of DDs. There's so much out there to collect and enjoy as far as these dolls are concerned that I don't get particularly sad about missing out on limited Volks outfits and shoes.

For example: if you wanted to two maid outfits and shoes and didn't get them then that's $221.00 you've saved- plus the shipping, yes? In my eyes that is halfway to another DD I won't be able to afford in the future because I've spent that money- but theoretically you would. I think the limited sales always have a way of working themselves out because it is an expensive-ish hobby. This kind of thinking gives me much peace of mind when I miss out on a limited doll or item.

I also love the never-ending flow of awesome and creative outfit and items that Volks comes up with. I think the limited nature keeps everything really fresh, fun and almost guarantees that everyone has something a bit different. It plays into the idea that the dolls are unique and give inspiration for owners to come up with variations on Volks outfits and dolls. I OOAK!

I've really gone on enough but it's worth saying that the way Volks does business does have an upside~

There's always something else wonderful around the corner. *^^*

40283197242_5620dd1681.jpg

littlebearries

To be perfectly honest I really like the limited nature of Volks items- but not because of the bragging rights (I've known a lot of people with that problem and it is not an attractive one). I think it's fun to pick out limited things and attempt to get them- I love the lotteries. If I lose, which happens as often as not, I still have plans for the money to go towards some other aspect of DDs. There's so much out there to collect and enjoy as far as these dolls are concerned that I don't get particularly sad about missing out on limited Volks outfits and shoes.

I agree... if I don't win, it wasn't meant to be... I'm not overly sad, and if I truly was, I could pay the second hand prices... but so far, haven't been