Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
WoundedNight64

DD hands and where to buy?

WoundedNight64

Sorry if this has been asked before...

I was looking at pictures of a Ryomou and saw that her hands were painted to look like she was wearing gloves. Can this be done on all DD hands? Will it stain the doll?

On another note; Can you buy roller skates for a DD? Or is there someone who will custom make them?

At home; DDH-07 'Medea',

Saving for; A body and Saber Lily ^_^

Waiting for:

aquilla429

You can't buy those glove hands anywhere separately unfortunately.

You could paint on gloves to the hands if you wanted to. To avoid staining the hands though you would need to follow the same principle as face ups, make sure you thoroughly seal the hands first with a sealant like MSC. Once you've got a few layers of sealant, paint it with good quality acrylic paints. Once happy with the painting, seal it again with a few layers of sealant.

I personally have never seen doll roller skates.

aquillascubbyholesmall_zps7378ca56.png

My new domain and blog is now based on tumblr, you can find me at http://www.aquilla429.com

https://twitter.com/aquilla429

WoundedNight64

Thanks Aquilla ^_^ Maybe I can mod a pair of trainers.

At home; DDH-07 'Medea',

Waiting for:

baldylox

The hands Ryomou has that are gloved are molded that way, they aren't painted. She comes with one pair of gloved hands and one pair of regular skin toned hands.

If you want to make your own, you *can* paint regular hands but they will have the fingernails and everything still on there so the "gloves" will look super thin. And if you do paint the hands, they will be permantly painted, the paint might come off on the surface but the vinyl will be stained to where you can't get it out.

As for buying gloved hands, you don't see them come up by themselves often because there are only a few girls who came with them and they were character girls that aren't cheap. Some of them are Yoko, Ryomou and Kanu.

I also haven't seen roller skates for DD's but I'm sure they're out there somewhere. Check around on YJA and Taobao, you may find something eventually.

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Poofiemus

If you're feeling brave, you could theoretically modify the hands with more than paint. You'd take some kind of sculpting compound like Apoxie Sculpt to fill in the fingernails, and then sculpt in creases between the fingers, in the palms, and in the bends of the fingers. You may need to sand things a bit to get the smoothest possible join, and then you'd paint the hands with whatever color you wanted the gloves to be. You could also hypothetically do armored gauntlet hands like this, though getting those clean lines would be a lot more fiddly than the more organic folds fabric/leather gloves would have.

I do wonder, actually, if it would be possible to make a long fabric glove--like, elbow-length or further--and then glue the glove onto the hand, but I suspect that for anything other than the 01 or paper hand shapes this would be a pain in the rear.

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

Jezrah

I did paint a pair of fist hands in the past to look like fingerless gloves. I added a section of clay to the back of the hand because that's how the characters design looked. The problem I ran into was that I super glued the clay pieces on after the fact, and when I put them on the armature the stretching of the vinyl hands caused the glued clay piece to crack off. I'm not sure if baking clay directly to the hands and then painting would make a difference. The hands need to be able to flex to go on the armature.

So, in summary, you can paint on fingerless gloves that don't look weird as long as you understand that those hands will always be glove hands. But adding clay to them could result in a cracked off mess.

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

Poofiemus
I did paint a pair of fist hands in the past to look like fingerless gloves. I added a section of clay to the back of the hand because that's how the characters design looked. The problem I ran into was that I super glued the clay pieces on after the fact, and when I put them on the armature the stretching of the vinyl hands caused the glued clay piece to crack off. I'm not sure if baking clay directly to the hands and then painting would make a difference. The hands need to be able to flex to go on the armature.

So, in summary, you can paint on fingerless gloves that don't look weird as long as you understand that those hands will always be glove hands. But adding clay to them could result in a cracked off mess.

Hm, good point. Maybe using that flexible Sculpy would work best, baking that on directly--from the one time I tried to use it, it probably is sticky enough for that to work.

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

WoundedNight64

Thanks everyone. I decided I'm going to paint on the fingerless gloves since that is what the character wears. Should I spray the hand with MSC first?

At home; DDH-07 'Medea',

Waiting for:

Jezrah

Definitely. That will keep the paint from causing bleed lines outside of where you painted due to the color soaking in.

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

Yuan

You probably don't want to bake DD parts with sculpy on them, but for small mods like that I've managed to harden the sculpy through boiling instead. This was on Pinky:St figures but I think the same method would work for vinyl doll hands.

If you're going to be painting them, give them a good coat or two of MSC.

cutemeow

Dollroller skater I did saw them a few years back. I think Dollheard had a pair of boots with wheel before. You might see them in second hand market every so often.