Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

neurocidic

@__@ GAH! DD reaction to balloon

neurocidic

Ok, so I've used white balloons as wig caps before and not seen this problem... >_> I finally got around to getting my girls down so I could change them into their real wigs... I noticed some slight "staining" and initially thought it was from the flesh colored wig cap on one of the girls.. Then I took the balloon wig caps off of both of them and it looks as if the balloon had some form of reaction to the vinyl of both the soft head cap as well as the forehead of the dolls. I can't post pictures at the moment, as the light is very poor and I only have my iphone (atm). Anyway, the stain is very light almost as if from a flesh colored wig cap, BUT there are also like, white lines through the stain where some vinyl was not harmed. You can feel the change in the surface. If you imagine the way a balloon will roll up when you try to stretch it over something.. I imagine that's what happened.

I am thinking a light sanding with some super fine sandpaper may do the job... I hope so at least... I have a pack of different grades of Tamiya sandpaper around here somewhere. Think I am going to give that a try tomorrow. I will also try and take some pictures to help show what I am talking about. :3

That said, I would double check your girls if they have balloons on as wig caps.

shinegamix

sandpaper is pretty invasive try with a magicsponge first

making my triumphant return

figureitout

hmm i think i have the same thing as you, except with a resin doll. i used one of coolcats silicone wig caps on an SQlab doll and left it on for about a month. now there are faint lines on her head where the edge of the cap was, very hard to see unless up close and in the right light.

oh and magicsponge didn't work. don't know if it works on vinyl though, worth a shot

neurocidic
sandpaper is pretty invasive try with a magicsponge first

It is a chemical change in the vinyl, I'm fairly certain it needs to be sanded. I already tried a magic eraser and it did nothing. May try alcohol or some such but I really don't think it will do anything. :/ Too bad I don't have any thinner on me.

neurocidic
hmm i think i have the same thing as you, except with a resin doll. i used one of coolcats silicone wig caps on an SQlab doll and left it on for about a month. now there are faint lines on her head where the edge of the cap was, very hard to see unless up close and in the right light.

oh and magicsponge didn't work. don't know if it works on vinyl though, worth a shot

Well for you, that still might just be a color shift. You can still try to use other cleaning options. For me, I can physically see, as well as feel, the difference in the levels of the vinyl.

neurocidic

I don't have my camera, only my iphone and it's really hard to try and get pictures. I started the sanding though. I initially went in with superfine but it was taking forever (obviously). So I went to 180 fine and that has made everything so much easier. It still takes a while - and my elbows are sore from the way I have to hold the head, hehe -- But, it IS working and with no noticeable changes to the head. Woot! Will try to get my camera back before I start on my other girl.

Pandadoll

Could this reaction be the same thing that happens to Pullip doll heads when they come in contact with plastics? The chemical reaction between plastics is referred to as "melt." Vinyl with a high amount of plasticizers (what makes DD faceups have that matte look) is more susceptible to melt, and since DD faces are slightly matte they can react with plastics, like latex in balloons.

I'm sorry you had to be the "discoverer" of this phenomenon happening to DD's, but it's good to know that plastics should be kept away from DD heads when possible.

neurocidic
Could this reaction be the same thing that happens to Pullip doll heads when they come in contact with plastics? The chemical reaction between plastics is referred to as "melt." Vinyl with a high amount of plasticizers (what makes DD faceups have that matte look) is more susceptible to melt, and since DD faces are slightly matte they can react with plastics, like latex in balloons.

I'm sorry you had to be the "discoverer" of this phenomenon happening to DD's, but it's good to know that plastics should be kept away from DD heads when possible.

I am betting you are right, based on the way this looks. I did manage to get pictures with my good camera, but need to get them uploaded. Thank you for the info! I'm going to stick to cloth caps for now. ^__^ At least the sanding is working!