The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

sweetinsidebox

Are any of you collectors go crazy over your dolls?

sweetinsidebox

I'm not sure where to post this but let me try:

We all love to play with our girls right, but what if said collectors take it up to eleven by being obsessed or go crazy with collecting Dollfie Dreams?The only reason why I am even staring this topic is because while I want to start collecting dolls like Dollfie Dreams, most people that I know think I'm crazy obsessed to the point in which they ether want to send me to a Psychiatric hospital or to a psychologist. Also the people that I know (like my family for example) want me to give up on this hobby even before I started .

I'm sorry, I just have no idea what I'm even writing about, so to put it in tl;dr:

Are any of you crazy obsessed with your doll collecting to the point in which it is damaging other people's mentality and how do you deal with people that you know want to send you to a Psychiatric hospital for your doll hobby? And how you do deal with people that you know telling you to give up on this "so called" hobby of collecting dolls?

And before you reply and say, this hobby is not for super poor people like you and this hobby is not for stupid and crazy people like you, let me say that yes I got little money to even start bringing a head to a house.

To the Mods.: if there is a similar topic to this feel free to lock it or if there isn't a similar topic to this, move it to a certain area like off topic discussions?

DJStarstryker

Eh... I'm into games and anime. This is going to sound very hipster, but I was into both before they were popular to like. People look at me for crazy for liking those. Since I'm female, dolls is probably seen as a more "normal" hobby.

As far as the second bit of your question... I don't know how anyone can be that crazy about any of their hobbies that it would bother anyone else. I mean, I guess it would be if you're a hoarder and start filling the house with all of this stuff and you can't even walk around anymore. But I personally wouldn't want to get that far. I don't like my house looking cluttered.

I don't really care what others think about my hobbies, so I'd ignore them if they told me to stop doing it. Well, I care what my husband thinks since we have to share the same living space and such, but we're into a lot of the same hobbies. Most likely, if I like it, he'll like it too.

Are you ready to rock? ^_^

Talolili

Not sure if this is the answer you're looking for but, I still live at home with my family and my collection seems to only bother my mom. She dislikes nearly everything I like anyway and is constantly telling me the dolls are stupid/weird and that I'm weird too. Almost everyone else in the family seems to find my dolls cute though, so I guess it's just her problem. Dolls aren't for everyone but as long as you're happy I think that's all that should really matter.

Don't worry so much about other people you can't please them all. I just think things can get out of hand when you have a budget but you're trying to buy many dolls and outfits at once. There needs to be a limit. Also, I wouldn't say anyone here is extremely rich so I don't believe anyone would put you down because of money. Most of us have to save for our dolls and that what makes them special.

ArcticKitsune

Not sure about your situation but I guess you can ignore the people calling you weird and such. Each area has their own types of interests and it seems yours just doesn't end up matching so you're called weird because you're not in their form of "normal". Being sent to a hospital seems a bit harsh in any form, they need to be sent to such if they're suggesting such. If you're talking about dolls 24/7 then maybe we do have a problem.

I had (non-anime) Americans trying to pick on me because I enjoyed taking Figmas and Busou Shinkis outdoors, calling them dolls and such. From the Anime side they were nice and friendly. Well, 99% of them at least with the rotten few killed a few awesome stuff around the community (Puchi Blurbs on Danny choo's site).

----

I did have a short spike of going "crazy" by going on a shopping clothing spree for Varakitsu. Everything for 2-3 days was about her possessing me, having me purchase clothing for her, and me doing her bidding. Everywhere I went I brought her up. Not sure when it'll hit now. That "phase" chilled out on me.....Mostly.

- Edit: Ah! Sorry! What I wanted to say was to just dig into the Dollfies if you really want to and to show what you truly love. If you don't want to then don't force yourself. Others will have to simply deal with your interests.

The proud master of a foxy (DD) Varakitsu, Renge, & Caster; Kon!~ Kon!

Soenatte

Let me start by saying that I'm one of those fortunate people who although sharing the same living space as my family (at least when I'm not 500km away for University) don't get too much trouble from said family about my dolls. I never really state how much they cost since I save up for them myself and my mother thinks its an unreasonable expense and I don't feel like having to explain myself every time. We're by no mean rich, more like a middle to low-class family. My spending money per month are no more than 150 dollars (about 100 euro) with the occasional gift, sale, commission or work cranking it up a bit. You just need to be persistent with saving up.

My family likes my dolls well enough and acknowledge that they make me happy and I love them and this hobby regardless; my mother isn't too much into my Dollfie Dreams because of their anime-like faces (yet somehow adores my Azone, go figure) but is otherwise good with my other BJDs, my dad thinks they're nice but is neutral about them and my brother loves them to the point of wanting one himself.

That aside I don't really let my hobby become a bother for anyone; my dolls are neatly displayed and their things carefully stored away so they don't get in the way and I don't spend anything but hobby money on them so I'm not compromising the materials I need for my study or my books or anything else that might make them worry about me. I don't bother anyone with my hobby either or talk about them non-stop to people that aren't interested unless they ask me or its brought up via other means. I think that's really the best solution.

Just enjoy your own dolls in your own time and if you're being bothered just avoid touching the subject when you're with them or ignore them if they attempt to pick on you for it -or alternatively make it clear how wonderful these dolls are for all the various purposes of their existence (photographing, art, customization, sewing, painting faceups, prop making, etcetera) to defend your hobby- although you shouldn't have to have to do that in the first place.

DDH07: Naoshin | Yui: Eclaire | DDH10: Noah | DDH01: Mafuyu P-chan: He Tian | Hime-Ane: Millefeuille

Kaito: Sora | DDH01: Astraia Tiamat: Ravus | DDH08: Alto  DDHo9: Leilani DDH07: Fyodor

Averis

As with anything, it's all about moderation or at the very least to not allow something to hinder your ability to live a healthy life (I say this because it's the "right" view, though I probably don't actually do it myself

Being obsessed about something can be looked at in different ways. It can just simply be that you (in general) are excited about something and are very interested in it and want to learn more.

I get obsessed about things often. I'm that type of person. I have many hobbies that started out with spending weeks absorbing as much information about the subject as I could. DDs and BJDs were no exception. Some may see that as unhealthy, but it was fun and exciting for me. It's something I was interested in. When you're really interested in something it's easy to become very focused on it for a time.

I have several hobbies that my friends and family don't get. From their perspective it's not that interesting, but they don't judge me for it, they just don't have the same interest. Funny thing is I can say the same thing about some friends that are super into sports etc. It's all perspective.

In the end, I say to hell with anyone that wants to judge you for your interests and what you do with your money. If you remain responsible for your daily life stuff (job, bills etc), what you do after that is up to you. Who's to determine how excited, invested and interested you should get into something? If that makes me crazy, so be it. Least I'm happy with my interests.

SakuraDreams

I think this hobby, like any other hobby, can get problematic if one obsesses too much over it. By that I mean one occupies most of one's time and effort with the hobby to detriment of other aspects of life, interpersonal relationships, financial issues, duties and responsibilities e.g. looking after ones' child or providing for its future etc. Instead of sending one's child to a good school or buying it decent clothes one spends most of one's money on toys and playthings, or instead of buying textbooks in one's college one just buys toys and gets a bad grade. I don't think there is anything particular about this hobby, with the only exception of it being quite an expensive hobby. With all things moderation is key, and a healthy balance. If doll collecting (or any other hobby) comes on par to heroin addiction or a gambling addiction, where the person's life suffers, it should be toned down. Otherwise I think it's OK.

At home: DD Sakura Shinguji, DDS Yukiho Hagiwara, DD Asuna, DD Rina Ogata, DDS MOMO, DDS Ranko Kanzaki.

Waiting for: Hatsune Miku

Preordered: Ranka Lee

Countdown to Hatsune Miku.