Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
starswirl

Shiny face

starswirl

Hey guys,

I have noticed recently that my Aryn's face looks quite shiny. I make sure not to really touch her face much and always have clean hands. Haruka's face however looks perfectly fine and has no shiny-ness too it and I've had her longer.

What can cause this and is there anyway to remove it?

waha

You need to provide some more information. Are they Volks default faceups? Custom ones?

starswirl
You need to provide some more information. Are they Volks default faceups? Custom ones?

Oh, I'm sorry. Custom face-ups done by the people I got them from, so I'm not really sure what was used.

waha

Probably the sealant. I've seen some custom faceups that were REALLY shiny. People who do faceups might know more as to the whys/etc. Different makes of sealants or something maybe?

Bellatrix

You can easily give them an opaque look by using MSC UV flat spray. Just a light layer is enough it happened to me as well. Just note that it "kills" the glossed parrs by covering them and making them matte as well. You havr to re gloss them after sealing

df64a03a777dc9f9a060ef6b286773b3-1.gif    ✩ 𝓥𝓲𝓬𝓽𝓲𝓶 𝓸𝓯 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓑𝓮𝓵𝓵𝓪𝓭𝓸𝔁 ✩

shinegamix

i like the sweaty dd look

making my triumphant return

Anouc
You can easily give them an opaque look by using MSC UV flat spray. Just a light layer is enough it happened to me as well. Just note that it "kills" the glossed parrs by covering them and making them matte as well. You havr to re gloss them after sealing

Right xD

https://www.facebook.com/fantasydolls?ref=hl

☆〜(ゝ。∂) ♥ Dollfie Dream Faceups ~ ☆

Yukamina

This should go without saying but I'll add--you'll need to remove the head from the body, and take out the eyes before you spray. MCS is also toxic, so don't breath it in. Here's some info on safety precautions http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?399096-What-you-need-to-know-about-respiratory-protection!

waha, sealant comes in matte, semi-gloss, and gloss. I guess some people cut corners if they can't find matte?

Nekopon

This should go without saying but I'll add--you'll need to remove the head from the body, and take out the eyes before you spray. MCS is also toxic, so don't breath it in. Here's some info on safety precautions http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?399096-What-you-need-to-know-about-respiratory-protection!

waha, sealant comes in matte, semi-gloss, and gloss. I guess some people cut corners if they can't find matte?

I know a few custom artists that tell me they can't "finish" my face-ups some times because of the temperature. Depending on the temperature, the seal will come out more or less "shiny".

twiddle66

Hi, I am new to DD and am really excited about these dolls! But I have been a collector of vinyl dolls for decades and also worked as a vinyl doll designer for the collectible industry for many years. I am new to the sealants being used on DD like the powder finishing spray and while I've used MSC on resin I haven't done so with Vinyl yet.

Vinyl can get shiny and sticky over time if a non compatible sealer or paint is used on it. This is because all vinyl contains something called Plasticizer. Plasticizer is a fluid that is locked into the vinyl formulation by the use of a binding agent. The plasticizer is what gives vinyl its flexibility. If you use a sealer that is not designed to be used on vinyl, over time it can react and break down the binding agent, and the fluid component , the Plasticizer will start to migrate out of the doll and lay on the surface making it shiny and sometimes sticky. Once the binding agent is broken down it can not be reinstated or repaired and the vinyl part/face will slowly leak out plasticizer and degrade over time and no matter how many times you clean it off more will leach out and make the doll sticky and shiny again.

Thats why its really important to use a sealer that is made to be safe with vinyl.

I know MSC is really made for hard Plastic and resin. So I sometimes wonder if over time it could degrade the binder and the dolls heads could start to get shiny and or sticky. I know KRYLON sprays will do this to vinyl over time. Make sure if someone is doing a face up for your DD that they NEVER use krylon sealers.

I will be trying the Powder finishing spray uv cut from VOLKS soon. My understanding was that this was formulated for the MSD's or resin dolls, but that people use it on DD and its is safe for DD and will not break down the binder and make the head sticky over time.

Does anyone have a dd that they sprayed with volks spray or msc years ago now? And if so have they gotten sticky or shiny over the years?