Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
XOHimitsuOX

Shiny skin

XOHimitsuOX

After handling Kaori (my 1st DD) several times i noticed that her skin started to get a bit shiny. Maybe cos of excessive cleaning from the many stains that she got. I thought about using Mr. Super Clear Flat, but ended up being expensive. Instead i used my airbrush and gave her a coat of Mr Color Clear Flat, to make her skin matt again.

Anyway, have any of you got daughters with shiny skin and get bothered about it?

mitsuki

I have seen that too. I don't know how to make the skin matte again, but it doesn't bother me. She could have some shiny lotion on or some nice hydrating cocoa butter oil on. It is great for your skin in winter - at least up here in the frozen wasteland of Minnesota. Lots of girls put on shiny stuff on purpose in summer too when they wear shorts or short skirts. There are also lotions with sparkles in it to make your skin look shiny. It's fun.

MaxArcher

I think it's a skin oil thing. I always wash my hands with soap before handling our dolls, if possible.

DD Beatrice - DD Saber/EXTRA

jun97
I have seen that too. I don't know how to make the skin matte again, but it doesn't bother me. She could have some shiny lotion on or some nice hydrating cocoa butter oil on. It is great for your skin in winter - at least up here in the frozen wasteland of Minnesota. Lots of girls put on shiny stuff on purpose in summer too when they wear shorts or short skirts. There are also lotions with sparkles in it to make your skin look shiny. It's fun.

Thats a nice way to think about it I have seen a little on my DDs, but not enough to really bother me.

XOHimitsuOX
You could try a medium grain sandpaper - just coarse enough to roughen the surface a bit. Works for resin at least

I tried sandpaper once and it didn't turn out well. You could see where it was sanded. However a coat of Mr Color Clear Matt removed any traces of the sanded area.

Nakitaninja

It happens a lot when you use paint thinner/brush cleaner to remove stains as well. I think it must remove some of the surfacing. I tend to spray it with MSC and it works like a charm. Yes, excessive cleaning will increase the difference of the skin quality so the less stain removal you have to do, the better.

40283197242_5620dd1681.jpg

archeotech

For DD I would go with Superfine sandpaper grade 500 - 600. You can get a 3M Softback Sanding Sponge off ebay. I also tried normal fine sandpaper and ended up with scratches but then use the superfine and they should go. Can take a while of sanding but works and blends in.

You can also use them as a method of removing paint and surface stains if really stuck. Just be careful not to sand too much and remember it will remove paintwork you might not want removed.

There's also microfine grade but that left a shine as it was too smooth.

archangeli

On the Volks USA blog I notice that the staff wear white cotton gloves when removing heads (for changing busts) and changing wigs. This might be something I'll start doing too just to protect their faces in the long run.

When my sister gave me back my first custom DD head, I noticed it looked very "plastic-y" and shiny but she said she'd finished it with a couple of coats of MSC so I just ignored it. She recently finished another DD head for me and this one is perfectly matte. When I asked her what she did differently she told me she'd made a tiny mistake and after fixing it the head had ended up with about 15 coats of MSC! 0__0"

So I'd suggest that you clean your head and make sure there are no surface oils on it and give it a couple more coats of MSC. Make sure you let it dry well between each coat - and god forbid any dust gets on them!

8450151887_2e94dd76fd_n.jpg

Archangeli.net | Twitter: @MsArchangeli | YouTube: Archangeli

mitsuki

I have read auction listings on Y!JA where the seller indicates the DD they are selling has only been handled with white gloves. I think it must be fairly common practice in Japan.

marisa_doll

hello

i know i am reviving a slightly old thread but oh well.

is there any way to remove the shine from hand oil?

i washed twice before i handled my doll... but assembling/disassembling was very hard so i think i sweated much ^^

there are some shiny areas where i had to grip hard.

can it be removed?

My SQ Hibiki

I am putting up for adoption a SQ-Lab Ren head on flickr. Contact me for more details!

Kumi

Before turning to sandpaper, I'd suggest something like Magic Eraser.

For example, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Original but there are also other brands.

It scrubs away dirt and doesn't damage the surface like sandpaper does.

XOHimitsuOX
hello

i know i am reviving a slightly old thread but oh well.

is there any way to remove the shine from hand oil?

i washed twice before i handled my doll... but assembling/disassembling was very hard so i think i sweated much ^^

there are some shiny areas where i had to grip hard.

can it be removed?

My current method:

1: Clean surface with Isopropyl alcohol and magic eraser, then let it dry.

2: Spray a coat of Mr Color Clear Matt