Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
chiseen

Dating in the doll community

chiseen

Would you date or ask someone out that you met at your local doll meet?

It could be a new member that you have recently met, or an old face that you've seen a couple of times.

As it is in your local community, there is the potential for "drama" to arise (especially if things end badly).

Would you prefer if they were just as doll-crazed as you?

Or if you have/are currently dating someone you met at a doll meet, let's hear your story!

I met my boyfriend at our local doll meet. At the time, I only had bjds and had been in the group for a year or two already before he joined. He only had dollfies (he did acquire a bjd later on) and it is only natural that it rubbed off on me too. XD

Banders

*raises hand*

I met my boyfriend at a doll meetup! We don't really have much of a local "group" or anything, and back then nobody really knew each other outside meets... So usually anyone would organise one and it's just who ever turns up, and we'd all just sit around and talk dolls for a few hours and take photos. So there's never really any drama and I'd like to think we're a pretty laid back bunch. ^^;

It was the first meetup I ever organised and I was super nervous about it! He'd just gotten his first BJD a few weeks before! >w< When he and his (rather hung-over) friend turned up I was really surprised to see guys into dolls! I'd never thought of it as a male hobby (in fact I still didn't until I only recently got into DDs)! XD And there were never guys at the previous meetups!

He was just standing there looking so shy holding his Dollzone Shoyo~ (cause again, nobody knows each other, and his friend had gone to put his head in a dark corner) so I go up and say 'Hi' and we just started chatting and I thought to myself "Hey this guy is really cute and he likes dolls! He MUST be awesome!!" So we went out a couple times after that, (taking the dolls out with us as well) and chatted online for a while... Long story short, we've been going out for over four years now!

It's awesome to be able to share the hobby I love with the person I love! >w<

Gets kinda expensive though, cause we're always buying each other dolls and doll-stuff... Or one of us will point out a really cute doll the other hasn't seen before, and then we'll want it... D:

Living with: MDD H01, DDSB Yayoi Takatsuki, DDP Akira, DDS Nia Teppelin

My Instagram ★

baldylox

Ha ha! I never thought it would happen to me but it did.

I'm just getting into a relationship with a girl I met at a meetup in Charlotte. Even tho we didn't talk too much at the meet, we both noticed each other and knew something was there. Thanks to our mutual friend Moonfaery, we exchanged numbers, moved into texting and talking and are now dating.

It's awesome that I've met someone that readily accepts my hobby and me. This makes things so much more fun! Altho she's into resins and I'm into DD's, I think I can persuade her to get into the vinyl side of things eventually.

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

chiseen
*raises hand*

I met my boyfriend at a doll meetup! We don't really have much of a local "group" or anything, and back then nobody really knew each other outside meets... So usually anyone would organise one and it's just who ever turns up, and we'd all just sit around and talk dolls for a few hours and take photos. So there's never really any drama and I'd like to think we're a pretty laid back bunch. ^^;

My local doll group is really tight. We all know everyone and have meets often. A lot of us meet regularly just to hang out as we have many common interests and hobbies outside of dolls too.

Haha and yes, it can get pretty pricey. But the same can be said for all my other hobbies! Heh ^^;

Ha ha! I never thought it would happen to me but it did.

I'm just getting into a relationship with a girl I met at a meetup in Charlotte. Even tho we didn't talk too much at the meet, we both noticed each other and knew something was there. Thanks to our mutual friend Moonfaery, we exchanged numbers, moved into texting and talking and are now dating.

It's awesome that I've met someone that readily accepts my hobby and me. This makes things so much more fun! Altho she's into resins and I'm into DD's, I think I can persuade her to get into the vinyl side of things eventually.

Billy

Aw, that's great, Billy!!

Yeah, it's awesome when you have similar interests with your partner. It's so much more fun to share your favorite hobbies and pastimes with someone you love. :3

I only had bjds when we first started dating, but now I have my own DD (currently planning on getting a MDD soon) and am even painting them! My bf ended up getting a resin girl too.

Ruko

I would if I thought it would work out, but just because you share the same hobby as someone it doesn't mean you share the same ideals or that your level of passion is equal. It may just be my own personal issue but it really bothers me when I meet people who are into something that I love but they just feel so half-assed about it... It is even worse if it is something that I don't really care for but they claim to be really passionate about it and I actually know more about it than they do.

Ebuki(SWS DDdy DDH7)

Gunter

Weirdly enough, I've met all my actual romantic interests through the doll community (A BIG NUMBER OF 2! WHOOP!).

The first one I did meet through a doll meet-up. She wasn't local (actually from Missouri) and was staying in CA for a indefinite amount of time. To say the least we clicked instantly, and though we never met up again through a doll meet, we did have plenty of interaction outside of it. I have to say it was one of my favorite ways to meet someone, but not a necessary one.

The second person I actually didn't meet through a meet-up (There was an ocean between us!), so a bit off topic, but I did meet him through the hobby. Honestly, I haven't been going to meets in years, to the chances of having me meet someone is unlikely then. Personally, the second time around was a lot healthier/steadier than the first so I can't help but feel a bit biased about thinking that meeting online instead of in person does have its benefit (though always seek the chance to meet IRL obviously!).

Personally, I find it really good to be in a relationship with someone equally interested in the dolls. I find sharing at least one hobby that is the same with someone (and one this big for me) is super good for a relationship. I've seen a few couples within my area that have really enjoyed having the hobby to share between each other. It also brings a new depth to the hobby as it can be seen as something special when you meet someone through it. (This can be said about any hobby though!) My personal experiences I regard too short to personally note, but I can say I really did feel my hobby a bit more when I was with them. ^^;; It brings a whole new area into it. Sort of hard to explain, at least for me. Hopefully someone gets what I'm saying? XD

RedLion

Bringing back an old thread!

You know, I was very infatutated with someone I met when I went to my second ever doll meet. I was initially a bit nervous after some of the members got their kicks making comments on my girl's breast size and how typical that it'd be a male owner. (I wouldn't be so shy now though, my job in the USAF has made me quite volatile to anyone who disses my girl). But this young lady I met, she really had a geniune interest in my girl and we just talked for hours. We've met up several times after that, went to the movies, shopping, etc etc. I really liked this girl.

Alas! It wasn't to meant to be, we're best friends now, but nothing more than that. Talking about the idea would make her feel weird and akward and she really doesn't want to move on beyond that. Better luck next time, I suppose!

Would I date someone in a local doll meet? Probably, it certainly would make the introductions easier. The group is, for the most part, gone now (over real vs. knock off doll drama).

babytarragon

I personally haven't seen many couples at our local meet. If there are couples it trends to be that they met outside the hobby and one got the other into it. Although I've been taking my husband for years but he still doesn't have a doll...XD

There's a few straight guys and many many straight girls at my local meet so actually it surprises me there aren't more flings.

I'm not a member of other fandoms but from what I gather the cosplay fandom is full of couples forming and breaking, jealousy, flings etc. Very different.

RedLion

I'm not a member of other fandoms but from what I gather the cosplay fandom is full of couples forming and breaking, jealousy, flings etc. Very different.

Yeah, Im told about that a lot too about cosplay. I have a couple friends really big into it and...its like listening to an episode from the soaps.

"All my Cosplayers" or something lol

babytarragon

Lol that should definitely be a thing.

Gamma Ray
I personally haven't seen many couples at our local meet. If there are couples it trends to be that they met outside the hobby and one got the other into it. Although I've been taking my husband for years but he still doesn't have a doll...XD

There's a few straight guys and many many straight girls at my local meet so actually it surprises me there aren't more flings.

Eh, I can't speak for every guy that's into dolls, but I'm not into flings. I'm not saying that it has to be super serious right from the start (can't say that's often a good idea to begin with), but I'm not interested in pursuing a romantic relationship with a woman that has absolutely no chance of ever going anywhere. Maybe the doll hobby attracts more guys like me (the relative few that do get attracted to it).

babytarragon

I think that's true, all the (straight) guys I know in the hobby tend to be quite romantic and generally treat women well. It doesn't seem to attract the players so much.

Gamma Ray

Ah, yes. I was a bit presumptuous when I was talking about guys, not really saying straight guys or whatnot ^_^' I guess I've met as many straight guys in the hobby as I have met gay (or otherwise not straight) guys, which isn't to say I've met a lot. It's mostly women, which is fine! I can understand that less men would be in the hobby, and I can really understand that it takes a measure of courage to be public enough about it that a guy would be willing to go to a doll meet or other sort of doll function, so there would be even less men to meet. I was so nervous for the first meet I went to!

Yeah, I don't know. The players. Doing such things never really appealed to me. I just want to be with that special someone, you know? Finding her is the hard part

Ara

I actually met my girlfriend on a convention...because my first doll dropped his wig without me noticing and she picked it up and ran after me

She had heard about these dolls before so she was all "omg this wig is so expensive, I must need to catch her!" and she was pretty floored when I allowed her to hold him for a second.

We realized then that we cosplayed from the same series and sticked together for the rest of the day, she contacted me later because she wanted to get into miniature food and I was the only person she knew that owns a BJD.

Rest is history and now she also already collects for years (and also has a DD on top of BJDs).

I usually don't see much people meeting inside the hobby though, it's usually one person dragging the other into this money sucking nightmare

ZZ0WsD1.jpg