The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

glassjaw

Relating to the more expensive and highly desired dolls.

glassjaw

A couple of my friends are starting the hobby. and here they are whining already saying the hobby is really expensive. I know its expensive but its not that bad. I asked what girls are they opting for? and of course its the same (High scalped dolls S, T ,Y etc etc). and I said why would you start with that why not the new IDOLMASTER? girls or the new released ones, and they showed me good pictures on flickr, saying their grail etc etc BS..

But here's the thing my question is why would you love the sculpt on the first place?

Think, hard and deep and hopefully it gets you.

Right, you fell in love with that picture because of the good angled sculpt, accessories that the owner meticulously put on top to bottom, or simply just the swimsuit she's wearing. Its because of those photos that you fell in love.

So if your a new-comer of the hobby. Welcome, if not this is how we can hopefully avoid scalping. and enjoy the would be Grail doll.

First off I I try to avoid (scalped priced) doll hellbent expensive ones, Sasara, Tamaki Yuki, the train has left. their sculpts are really nice but its too expensive let alone for a vinyl to price like that. Also if you bought that expensive then you have to sell them for the same hefty price, and who are we to blame. right? its not scalping you're just selling of how much you paid for it but then again not all of us were love crazy as you, when you bit the bullet on buying.

And actually most of the new release sculpts are actually quite nice, and has better in material.

I buy the dolls that catches my eye, I look for that distinct feature, not because everyone likes it, so I could avoid the " we didn't attached" syndrome. like lol seriously what is that.

I take better pictures, show the dolls best angle of sculpt, show how it would outshine the others. OWN IT, I invest on time learning photography and be a better photographer. I try to mold the doll to be my favourite doll

Just by looking at that cute face looking at me everyday from my desk while I work, Its not hard to grow a small attachment, even for a plastic object.

My point is Love the doll that you have, take better pictures, spread the word of DD, If you became less interested sell/adopt it to someone else. and try not to scalp the price. Lets make the community enjoyed by the other people who would want to experience the same feeling that you once have.

*have you seen my avatar?, she's actually the one that has distinct face for me, she's not even popular actually my cheapest sculpt. also a banners, I have to admit it makes me smile every single time, she pops up.

Edited by Guest

Ruko

I am fairly new, I completed my first and only Dollfie over the summer. I fell in love with the DDH-07 head not because of any special outfits or anything like that but because I love the sculpt It is the only DD head that I actually like and probably the only I will ever like. I am very picky.

I don't see a problem with the hobby's cost though It is not that expensive compared to my other hobby, Building Computers... Besides If you truly love and want something you will find a way, spare no expense.

Ebuki(SWS DDdy DDH7)

glassjaw
hobby's cost though It is not that expensive compared to my other hobby, Building Computers...

wha-what computer?, you're not building a bitcoin farm are you? I jest .

Amber

Everyone's welcome to their own opinion, but I clicked this topic thinking that it would be looking for responses about how I felt about my own doll and how I feel about the community... When instead I seem to have clicked on a disgruntled opinion about higher priced dolls.

I think the topic title should be changed to something relating to the more expensive and highly desired dolls, since that's what a majority (if not all) of your initial post was about. I also think a lot of your post is kind of standoffish, and if I had known what this topic was really about I wouldn't have clicked it.

Ruko
wha-what computer?, you're not building a bitcoin farm are you? I jest .
I dont even know what bitcoin is, but anyways... I like powerful computers.

Ebuki(SWS DDdy DDH7)

puxlavoix

This is an expensive hobby with limited dolls and what not that are already expensive.

As for the dolls (whether fullsets or just their heads) I don't see people buying or wanting them for the mere fact of them being expensive and/or limited. Instead they are admired for being beautiful, and (i think) some will agree they are in some ways more beautiful than other limited/non limited sculpts, come out better in pics, or some are easier to photograph, etc.

One thing i came to realize very soon back when i didnt even owned a DD or knew their names or quantities is that more often than not, the ones i considered to be amongst the prettier ones were the ones that coincidentally were more sought after and had higher price tags.

After all I think theres a reason why some limited ones are still on the shelves and/or selling for below their retail price.

1505193317_sig1copy.png.892dcb9d95734be68d4282d5f06843bb.png1495205582_sig2copy.png.b9f2cb50f3c66e638bd5c8a75bd10688.png

Oni-Chan

It took me a good 3 odd years to get into this hobby. I watched as my good friend innocentsake got her girls and thought theyre cute but i was off collecting other stuff and couldnt justify the 600 + price tag.

Then 6 months ago i joined here and decided i would get one for my 30th birthday as my partner wanted to get me something specal for it. So i bought a customized by juu yuki haruka niimi 2nd hand and entered/won a sws mariko and they both became my presents. (And got smitten /hooked big time)

Ive recently gotten two 03 heads, one on a MDD and one floating. My wishlist consits of a Standard dds mayu a dream of 2 customs (sawako and shouta from kimi ni todoke) and a pre order of hatsune miku.

I think at this time my family will be complete with them. I think its lucky that i dont watch or play the games /anime most dollfies are released from so i have no interest in getting them. Theyre cute but thats all.

But thats just me and my opinion ;P

I have more dollfies than my age in years *×*

chien

I'm of the opinion that you like what you like, and how you prioritize your life and spending is your own business. Your friends like what they like-- it's kind that you are looking out for them, but what they choose to do is up to them. If you end up being right, most people are much happier with encouragement ("It's okay, I'll help you sell it and we'll find something you love!" than lectures ("I told you so"). A lot of dolls look very different in-person too, so maybe they do need to get that $1000+ doll first to handle in-person and appreciate for a few months to realize that, "Okay, this one is not for me."

Perhaps people do fall in love with the price-- there are definitely people who enjoy the feeling that, "I can afford this, and that makes me feel great!" In that case, I feel like you should let them do what they want to do to be happy.

Also, scalping happens but it's part of how a market like this works. It sucks, but people have their reasons.

However, I'm a rather stubborn optimist-- so I completely understand if my opinions are not in tune with yours. That's okay though, because that's what keeps the world interesting. I hope your friends have a lot of fun in this hobby and that they get the doll that they will love-- it's a great feeling when you feel settled and content with your collection, since a collection is something to be proud of.

Edited by Guest

Keijogirl

I'm a relative newbie to the DD side of the hobby. My goals were kinda high when I first dove in xD Who's a Kanu and Sasahara fan? *this chick* When I started I liked 07, Rise, Kanu, and Sasahara. All a major pain in the butt to get my hands on at the time.

I love Sasahara. I've pretty much established that I'll absolutely never pay that price for her, but I will always be content admiring from afar.

I think honestly, newbies tend to fall for the high priced, super scalped dolls because they're not too hard to find awesome pictures of, highly commented on and just really visible, and it's not like they're fug either. They're truly gorgeous girls.

After I spent some time moping because I didn't have money, I came to find out that I'm actually quite fond of some older dolls that aren't really popular. My infatuation with some of my starting sculpts really faded a lot with the more sculpts that I discovered the more I really started to figure out what I girls I actually want like Akira, Mashiro, and Sakuya. Oh and Excellen, nobody seems to like her much, but I can't wait to get my hands on her

Newbies that will stick around more than likely will find their way to other sculpts naturally. It happens when you spend your time saving up for that expensive one. You start seeing pretty little *speed bumps* along the way that you end up bringing home to wait with you for her/their sister. Other times the grail girl changes all together.

All in all, I think the infatuation passes, and it isn't like those highly sought after girls look bad. They really are gorgeous.

At Home: Kiyo, Hikaru , Nikko, Komaki, Miho, Kana-chan, Tamakits, Illya, Misa, Deku, Nao, Zana, Ciri, Aki, Alisa, Kana, Yuka, Kiki, Komaki (Oni Mode), Ai, Chili, NagisaDDh03Erica, Miyabi, Jun,  Haruka, Sasha, and Laila

Saving for: Accessories! Clothes! Shoes! The Works!

glassjaw
It took me a good 3 odd years to get into this hobby. I watched as my good friend innocentsake got her girls and thought theyre cute but i was off collecting other stuff and couldnt justify the 600 + price tag.

Then 6 months ago i joined here and decided i would get one for my 30th birthday as my partner wanted to get me something specal for it. So i bought a customized by juu yuki haruka niimi 2nd hand and entered/won a sws mariko and they both became my presents. (And got smitten /hooked big time)

Ive recently gotten two 03 heads, one on a MDD and one floating. My wishlist consits of a Standard dds mayu a dream of 2 customs (sawako and shouta from kimi ni todoke) and a pre order of hatsune miku.

I think at this time my family will be complete with them. I think its lucky that i dont watch or play the games /anime most dollfies are released from so i have no interest in getting them. Theyre cute but thats all.

Same here, when I started this hobby I was also in HIFI, never tried owning something so feminine even some of my family thinks its weird, but after contemplating, never really much of a fan of anime, but like to play games I geek it out sometimes. After arguing to myself hey its just a pretty doll for my shelf. I give it a go and here I'am now with several dolls and I'm actually quite happy with it, though I must say its the most hobby of mine would not be accepted by my bro buddies, they think I fell in a hole of Japanese weirdness. .

Perhaps people do fall in love with the price-- there are definitely people who enjoy the feeling that, "I can afford this, and that makes me feel great!" In that case, I feel like you should let them do what they want to do to be happy.

I think most of us get this, I felt this way as well, It is somewhat unobtainable, now its yours. but sometimes its just too much, like we want a certain doll which has an original price of 500+ now its around 2000, like seriously I can pay for that price but I won't because I know its really too much. This is the reason I made this post its actually more of a voice of my opinion and thanks for reading and at least replying to it

Bouncing_Tigger

I'm still a relative newbie to doll collecting and DD's in particular and I'm probably going to get banned from the forum for admitting this, but I don't know anything about anime, manga, anime related computer games or any of that stuff...and to be honest, I'm not really interested in knowing about it. I saw my daughter's doll, thought the price was outrageous, and then the more I looked at her, the more I liked her. She was just so pretty!! (a Yoko, if anyone is wondering) At the same time, I didn't want one of my own Yoko's. Instead, when she was surfing and showing me dolls, I saw the cutest head! (...and, no, I also have to confess that I can't really tell the different heads apart very well unless they are all together in one place or even tell you which heads my girls have...I just know that I like them...they appeal to me for some reason, they make me smile, and that is the basis on which I buy them!)

Anyway, I started with one girl in June and I'm now up to three, none of which were super high priced. Expensive, yes, but not outlandish when you consider it is a hobby, and hobbies by their very nature are expensive! Unfortunately, my daughter showed me a picture of Melty...BIG MISTAKE!! She is just beautiful but soooo expensive that I can't see myself ever getting one unless I fall into a really, really, really good deal!! So I just drool over everyone else's pictures of her (especially those ears!!!) and keep stalking the heads that I see that I like. I'm also thinking about an MDD (thanks again, Billy...LOL) because they are just so cute and little!

So, to sum up, if people want to spend what I think is a fortune on that limited edition doll that they just must have, so what? Its their money, not mine, so I have no problem with it. I, however, will just continue with my current 'family of girls' and add to them when I see one that I like at what I think is a reasonable price. I'll also have lots of fun making them outfits and accessories and furniture and....you get the idea! Just mho

Poofiemus

I can't begrudge people for going after the really coveted girls if they really want them and are willing to pay that much for them, though in some cases I don't quite understand why they're coveted as much as they are. If that's what makes them happy, then who am I to judge?

But I'm getting the impression that the people who know what they really, really, want aren't the ones you're grousing about. You mean the kind of people who waffle and moan about the high cost of the rare birds but don't pay any attention to any of the rest of the DDs.

And yes, I can see how that kind of person would be annoying, partially because the attitude is kind of baffling. I mean, yeah, market demand drives some dolls' cost up, but if they're not worth that price tag to you personally then no one is going to judge you for not forking out the money for her. :/ It's always awkward to talk to someone caught in that thought pattern, because I at least have found plenty of joy even in my common 03 head girl, so it's kind of obvious to me that popularity isn't some sort of guarantor of enjoyment.

While some people with that attitude are the sort of person who treats everything as a competition and therefore probably aren't going to ever let the idea of the rare girls go, some maybe just haven't done enough research to know what they really want. Those people will probably respond really well when you point out there are over 80 DD head molds out there now, with some that have minimal to moderate cost appreciation on the aftermarket. With that many, odds are there's one or two besides or in addition to the rare girls that'll tickle their fancy.

In this household, sanity is considered a tresspasser.

redxmaverick

Did they even look at the price before they bought their first DD? It's kind of hard not to notice the price tag. And I'm sure you warned them how expensive this hobby can get. I think they are in the wrong hobby if they are already complaining.

JChiibs
I'm still a relative newbie to doll collecting and DD's in particular and I'm probably going to get banned from the forum for admitting this, but I don't know anything about anime, manga, anime related computer games or any of that stuff.

I really don't see this as a problem. When Raven and I had preordered Kos-Mos & Momo, we knew nothing about them at all except that they were adorable dolls. Some months later the anime popped up on Hulu so we watched it (because we are anime geeks) and I was like... woo Kos-Mos is a big ginormous weapon, ok whatever, Miss Lottie isn't going to be. The only downside is that now I want Shion and Jr. DD too. When the first Idolm@ster girls were released Raven was nearly hopping in his seat because it was an anime he devotedly watched. As for me I only cared because I couldn't resist Haruka's sculpt, and she's still as adorable to me because Bree is such a goofball. I've seen the anime a little and I like it (although I seriously can't stand Miki ) but I feel no need to connect my MDD girl with the anime.

I'm a pretty big anime geek, but it totally pales in comparison to how much of a doll geek I am. I love my dolls so much that many of my childhood favorites are on my DD list, like Barbie, Skipper, Rainbow Bright, Strawberry Shortcake, and a couple others. Sure anime is the overriding ascetic of DD, but I don't see why they should be limited to anime otaku fans.

But I'm getting the impression that the people who know what they really, really, want aren't the ones you're grousing about. You mean the kind of people who waffle and moan about the high cost of the rare birds but don't pay any attention to any of the rest of the DDs.

I can understand the fact that the rarer/sought after girls are a lot more visible because the people who own them love them to pieces and take tons of pictures. I've also noticed that many people only see what is right there in front of them and may not have the ability to visualize the possibilities of a single sculpt or to be able to break down a girl into what parts she's composed of. There have been a few girls that I've loved until I got a really good look at them and realized that it was only their faceup style, eyes, or wig that I was really in love with. I understand that a lot of people probably can't (like Raven) break down a girl like that so they are dependent on only what they see. The flip-side of that though is being restricted to what's already available rather than going the custom route.

It is really hard not to get tired of hearing the complaints that the hobby is expensive. There are plenty of other hobbies that are a lot more expensive, and plenty that are much less expensive. It is a hobby, not a base requirement for life (although for someone like me it is a base requirement for function). If you love it, you'll make it work. Come hell or high water, you'll make it work. Price complaints always convert in my mind to someone whining "But I want it... and I want it NOW..." *childish temper tantrum follows* Technology is great but it also creates people who are inherently used to instant gratification, often reacting to the world like grownup spoiled children.

Even my own family is rather stunned at how expensive this hobby is, but I have my reasons. Kos-Mos is the most expensive doll I've ever bought, and the same is true for Raven's Momo. If you ask him if it was worth it he would say 'heck ya' without a second thought. I don't like when people see that we have expensive dolls and make the instant assumption that we have cash pouring out like a leaky faucet. Every penny that went into getting our Xenosaga girls was hard earned and sacrificed for. Financial priorities have had to be carefully balanced for the last 8 months, and every time we wanted to splurge on something else we knew that it would be at the cost of our girls. There are many things we choose to go without that many people take for granted because we find our DD much more rewarding. We earned our girls (and all of our DD) with blood, sweat, and tears. I truly mean it that if you love something (or someone), you'll make it work.

So often love is talked about in the hobby relating to the DD as well. Sure the cost whining gets to be old, but just like in real love there is different stages. The crushes always come really easily and often bite you in unexpected ways, but almost always when you are new to DD it all seems unattainable. If the DD is something you really love, she'll find a way to stick around, but if someone wants a girl simply to have the newest shinny toy they tend to not care over time and walk away from the hobby. The ones that stay have their First Love and often, but not always, have that girl be their first DD. The longing sets in and you just know that you need that girl. And then there are the old married couple type loves where it may take a long time to finally bring your dream home, and your heart is in it for the long haul. This is the girl you pine for, whisper sweet nothings to entice her to come home, and when she finally does, you love her more than the day you first saw her. As annoying as the crush stage is, I find it a bit unfair to criticize someone because you personally have gotten past that phase. Everyone starts somewhere, and I've personally heard the cost whining even about the standard and custom from scratch route too, so that's not restricted to the highly sought after girls.

~Sister Kyoya

12926590414_996a8b87ea_o.png

Forum Blog: Badger Pocket Tales (Family story from the beginning) | { Old Family story reboot: Start Here! }

Follow me on Twitter, Flickr & Instagram

MomoCream

Hmmm... Well any hobby is expensive. Being that I like the finer things in life *flips hair* I thought this hobby was right up my alley and I've always liked dolls. I think through earning and saving, you can get any doll you want no matter how desired they are. Just might take some time. I just get a little annoyed when people whine about the cost. Uhhh, what were you expecting? These things a limited, right?

glassjaw
I don't know anything aboutanime, manga, anime related computer games or any of that stuff...and to be honest, I'm not really interested in knowing about it. I saw my daughter's doll, thought the price was outrageous, and then the more I looked at her, the more I liked her.

Its funny I usually have buddies like bro-dawgs whose not really fan of Anime or any related material, and usually when we hang out after a game they see the dolls in a glass display and the same ridicule attempt they call "I'm into this weird stuff" they see anime as "HENTAI" automatically that's how little they know about anime they find it weird and vexing, for me to pay for such a hobby. and of course I defend the dolls with my high snobby comeback like "foo! you can't afford this shi! be thankful I'm not asking you to pay to look!

but whats really funny is when we drink and get drunk and horse around, usually one of my buddies will took out one of my Supia doll and play with it, It becomes the topic of the "drunk conversation" they ooh and they actually admired the sculpts of the head so it doesn't really matter if you don't know anything, If it somehow peaks your interest, curiosity will soon to follow.

Izalith

The IDOLM@STER dolls aren't cheap, in any case =P .

Well, not Yukiho or Miki.

Lucy/Saber Extra are relatively close to their base prices.

Dolls: Aozaki Aoko, Kujikawa Rise, Morikawa Yuki, Saber Lily, Shining Blade Sakuya, Neige (DDH-06), Akiko (DDH-07).

Selling: Lucy Maria Misora, Hagiwara Yukiho (iM@S)

Wishlist: DD Shibuya Rin (1st release)

chibinezumi

I think everyone has to develop a comfort level on what they are willing to pay. For many years I did not buy limiteds because I thought they were too expensive,(and I prefer to customize) but then made the jump and bought 2 limiteds this year. I have however found out that I am not willing to pay above retail after market. I tried, but could not bring myself to. I just don't consider it worth the money I work hard for. I paid $300 for a doll head I had to have, but will probably not be doing that again in the future. To some it does not seem a lot of money, to others it is. Again its all on comfort level and what you can realistically afford.

This vastly limits the dolls I could go for, but for me they are not worth that after market price. I don't see that much value in paying over a thousand for one doll that was originally worth half that. Especially when Volks is churning out great dolls every couple months and outfits every month. I would rather sit back and lottery till I actually win something. Or till the after market becomes more realistic. There are many dolls I have passed on or lost out on, but I always remind myself there will be another that will strike my fancy.

Grail doll list does not interest me, I don't find any of them to be living up to their hype. Even my favorite Rin Tohsaka, I would prefer to buy as an updated version with DDIII and soft head cap.

As far as bonding goes, some folks do bond and some don't. And there is nothing wrong with either. I try to give my girls names and personalities, but I am not really emotionally invested in them. They are my models to photograph or dress up. Obviously I would be sad to sell them, but if I had to, they will go.

So in short, the friends should do more research, and see what else is out their in a comfortable price range for them.

katnaper
I think everyone has to develop a comfort level on what they are willing to pay.

I agree. This is an expensive hobby as everyone says but no more so than any other hobbies (well, okay so one DD - even the regular one - will buy you a couple of Ver. Ka Gundam kits ) but its not like anyone is twisting anybody's arms to get into it. A lot of us often fall in love with a sculpt just because we fall in love with a sculpt and want it so badly, we are willing to pay the price for it. No one should fault us for that. And, yes, its usually because of pictures that we find what we like. How else would we have gotten into this if we didn't see how versatile these lovelies are? Yes, some fall prey to the hype and find that they don't 'bond' with their dolls or are kicking themselves for paying aftermarket prices but hey, that's their prerogative. Like I said, no one did any arm twisting and if someone wants to pick up their girls for a little more than what these people paid for, then no one is twisting that person'a arm either. It would be nice if everyone just sold the dolls for close to the original price and not 'scalped' them but that's the nature of a hobby with Limiteds in it and well, some people are just, well, people (human nature and all that ).

If someone finds they like a more recent sculpt or they find they like the newer releases, or they want to do their own custom DDs then great, excellent. Nobody should fault them for that too. In the end, we all like what we like and if we are willing to pay the price we are willing to pay, then its our prerogative right? Whether its a limited or a standard girl shouldn't matter. It would be nice if people didn't judge one another's choices especially when its not hurting anybody but that'd be living a pipe dream . Least we could do is try to respect each other and help promote the hobby as much as we could.

35627757593_19f2b2cd8a_n.jpg

We have our own BLOG. Please visit us at the House of Nyan by clicking this link or our sig above. See you there. Or, come see what Nyanko-sensei is up to at the Katnaper's Den