Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
Kinjiru

Help with eyes

Kinjiru

So if been trying to figure out how I'm going to do the head for the DD i'm planning. Something that really worrys me is the faceup, I don't have much artistic talent. So I figured a good way around this is to go with decal eyes like the ones from parabox.

Now i need to figure out how easy they would to be to apply to a head. The DD heads are available with the eyes filled in, but they are still indented. Would that give me a problem with applying the decals? And could I sand down those intentions so that I have a flat surface to put the decals?

Another option would be to go with the p-chan head from parabox. Will that head fit on and blend well with a DD body?

Yukamina

Hm, what about the standard DDs that come with face ups already? They are the same sculpts as the ones that come blank (except 05 and 07 for now)

finnleo

Another option would be to go with the p-chan head from parabox. Will that head fit on and blend well with a DD body?

One thing to keep in mind is the Parabox heads, like the Nemurihime, they are actually 1/4 scale. They'll work pretty good on a MDD body making it a 1/4 doll, but on a full size DD they would look way too small.

I think the Obitsu 50 is the biggest body size they wont look too much out of place.

Edit, my bad.. Looks like the P-chan is a bit bigger than the Nemurihime due to the wig size, but still seems more suited for a 50cm body in my oppinnion.

Edited by Guest

Kinjiru

Aren't those heads like over 100 dollars each?

Kinjiru

One thing to keep in mind is the Parabox heads, like the Nemurihime, they are actually 1/4 scale. They'll work pretty good on a MDD body making it a 1/4 doll, but on a full size DD they would look way too small.

I think the Obitsu 50 is the biggest body size they wont look too much out of place.

Obitsu has it's own 60cm body and heads for it, I don't think it's as nice of a sculpt thought as the DD

aquilla429

I have experience with sanding DD heads and in my opinion, trying to sand out the eyes will be difficult, time consuming and the head would end up looking weird as a result. You would need to sand away so much vinyl from just the eyes, but then the top part of the head will look too inverted. You could try sanding and reshaping the forehead too in order to even out the head shape, but we are talking hour and hours of work here. I know with my hands, It would take days to do such a mod because you simply couldn't do that much sanding in one go or quickly. I also doubt that it would look great anyway.

Decals will definitely not work on those heads either tough as they are made for a smooth surface.

If you really want a dollfie dream, you could always buy a blank one and give it a go at painting it? You may surprise yourself. If that's really not an option, you could get someone to paint the head for you. I don't know if you have marketplace access yet, but we have several commissionable face up artists on the boards here who could help you.

Another option would be to buy a head that has been painted already. You could get one of the Volks standard models like Aoi, Yukino, Miko, or keep an eye out on ebay. KK Workshop sell some beautiful pre-painted heads and some people use ebay to sell of doll heads they just don't want anymore. Similarly, once you do have market place access, some people sell dolls on the forums which already have face ups too.

If you did go down the Parabox P-Chan route, then you won't own a Dollfie Dream at all and you will be restricted on where you can post it, also I really think that you would need to get a p40-p50 body for it. I have 2 dollfie dream heads on parabox bodies and the DD heads are a bit on the large size for the body, but it works out ok. Unless directly comparing to a full dd, you don't really notice it too much. I think if you put a Parabox head on a dollfie dream body however, it would look too small and having a small head on a big body always looks weird and wrong if you ask me.

I've given you every suggestion I can think of. I hope you can decide what to do.

aquillascubbyholesmall_zps7378ca56.png

My new domain and blog is now based on tumblr, you can find me at http://www.aquilla429.com

https://twitter.com/aquilla429

jadepixel

One option is just to use the decals for eyebrows, which in my opinion are the hardest part. Then you could do a simple painting of the eyelashes, and use animetic eyes in an open-eyed head.

There are also some folks on this forum who offer super cheap faceups, so hiring somebody to paint whatever you like is not very expensive.

Kinjiru

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I found that Parabox also offers the Ayame/Sakura head which is bigger than the p-chan head. I think I'll go with that one. It's only about $15, compared to the almost $40 for a DD head. So I'll give that a try first, and if it doesn't work out I haven't lost much and I'll go full in and get a custom face up. How do I get access to the marketplace btw?

XOHimitsuOX

If your still going for the decal route, you can use Microscale Decal solutions.

Use Micro-Set for adhering the decal and Micro-Sol to conform the decal to irregular surfaces

Here's a tutorial on applying decals:

jadepixel
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I found that Parabox also offers the Ayame/Sakura head which is bigger than the p-chan head. I think I'll go with that one. It's only about $15, compared to the almost $40 for a DD head. So I'll give that a try first, and if it doesn't work out I haven't lost much and I'll go full in and get a custom face up. How do I get access to the marketplace btw?

I think you need 20 posts before the marketplace is accessible.