Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

e1293

Questions Fulfilled! Hana Midorikawa Dollfie Dream Complete

e1293

I have been on the fence for a while now on whether I should get into buying dollfies. Well, I think I might be interested in buying my first one if I can get some help from any of you more knowledgeable souls! The main reason I need some helpful advice is that I plan on having a custom dollfie made. So anyways, I recently fell in love with an anime/manga called Kangoku Gakuen or Prison School. There is a character named Hana Midorikawa that is adorable and I think she would make an excellent dollfie if done by any experts. My main concern is getting the outfit as accurate as possible. Her outfit isn't exactly complicated or intricate, but it does consist of a dress shirt, uniform, skirt, baggie jeans, and dress shoes. Also her hair style is relatively simplistic since she has short hair with straight bangs. If anyone is willing to help me with details such as the differences in head and body types that would be awesome. Also any rough price estimate for everything that I will need would be helpful! Since there are already plenty of cosplay items for my character, this should help give any possible commissioner an idea of what I want exactly. So if anyone has any commissioners in mind or any valuable advice for me, please let loose. I know next to nothing about this hobby and just want to get a decent looking character made without spending over $600. Is this possible? Thanks for any replies.

Edited by Guest

Gunter

First off, welcome to the hobby! :> I'm going to kinda answer questions, but also keep in mind I'm thinkin' of finding how to get the best version, not exactly the cheapest. I will apologize because I fear I can never answer without giving a wall of text.

1. Body type/head: So, she's got a pretty unique eye-shape which honestly makes her a bit harder to put to a mold. I'd say take some time on this site: http://www.dollfiedream.tokyo/en/dollfiedream/optionparts.html/

Go through, look at the option heads, and then at the "Character Models" and try to focus on just the face. If you need to, google the mold (Just "Dollfie Dream *place name here*") and see even more of her and try to decide of that's the head you want.

Personal opinion, I'd say she's a standard DDIII body with a normal L bust. I'm unsure 'bout headmold due to what I said with the unique eye-shape. I'd say take a bit of liberty with your options to get the best result because I don't know how easily you'll get it.

2. Seamstresses?: While we do have a couple of people over here who I think have been taking commissions, I think honestly your best resource for doll commissions is going to be Den of Angels (DoA). I'd totally recommend seeing if anyone has an invite and workin' your way up for MP access on DoA to check out their huge variety of talented seamstresses. The only one I can think of off the top of my head that runs a site is Black Swan: http://www.black-swan.net/main.html

3. Cost: $600? Maybe. That's a hard, hard maybe. I'm still leaning toward probably no if you have a particular level of quality in mind. The doll itself, assuming you were to do just a body + standard head? That could be around like...$300ish, maybe $250ish mattering where you buy things? (or maybe a bit more) So that's half your budget. A decent face-up artist (Face-up/make-up is the painting on the face. So like, shaping around the eyes, color the lips, etc, etc) could magically start around $50 (More like $75) and go up from there mattering on how much you love a particular artist. I'd recommend checking our Painting and Customization subforum to see some great artists! viewforum.php?f=18

A quality outfit commission is at least $100 and that price just keeps going up. I say >quality< and I mean it haha. If you want something nice, looks great, fits great, great quality materials then you'll end up payin' a price for it. Wig (Probably can get it through Leekeworld) and eyes, not the most expensive, probably easy to spend around $50~$60 max mattering on where you buy stuff. If you think you want to really go the full mile, have something super customized for you it could cost a lot but there are people like KK Workshop who totally customize a head to the image you want (Standard head modded to fit your character, face-up'd appropriately for her, and then custom made eyes that are straight from the original design). That's like a $300 money sink though if you choose that option.

Anything extra, like say her shoes could be a bit hard. Gotta find them, and dunno how much that'll cost haha. I didn't even note in shipping costs for everything, cause that factoid really does influence your overall cost in a way most people don't notice.

So, maybe not too far over that, but again that's all about how much >you< have to have her exactly to the T. A lot of people when making characters are a bit more lenient on the details because perfection is simply hard to achieve. I'd also say you'd very much benefit from gettin' MP access on this site as well.

I'd say take a lot of time in planning before moving, maybe saving up any particular initial amount you plan to spend and then just contacting people you are interested in for whatever service. She'd definitely make a cute DD, just will take some time.

jadepixel

I'll help you with the cheap route, but like Gunter said it may be better to save up a bit to get the best possible version if you're passionate about the character. Volks International has the best prices right now so I'd shop there first.

Volks makes a pretty similar school uniform, it gets restocked often:

https://www.volks.co.jp/page_ex.jsp?CONTROLID=SC0040&BUSINESSID=InitDisp&jancd=4518992388526

DD Aoi standard model has narrow eyes and L bust, so that'd get you a head + body + faceup to start:

https://www.volks.co.jp/page_ex.jsp?CONTROLID=SC0040&BUSINESSID=InitDisp&jancd=4518992387109

Cool Cat (based in Hong Kong) has cheap shipping and good dress shoes for Hana:

http://us.sk-coolcat.com/front/bin/ptdetail.phtml?Part=ls08_3

Cool Cat also has a similar wig color, you can cut it short in the back:

http://us.sk-coolcat.com/front/bin/ptdetail.phtml?Part=s6_02

Total price ~$460 plus shipping.

So that leaves only the pants as something you'd have to hunt down or get made custom.

While shopping you might also want to pick up accessories like a doll stand, head cap, hair comb, and wig wax (for styling).

e1293

Thanks for both of your responses! I will definitely have some research to do before getting started. I really want to get it done with as few steps as possible. That way, I don't have to send various parts and deal with a bunch of shipping costs!

Edited by Guest

e1293

After browsing Volk's site I think I know which head and body type might be the best for this project. I am thinking (DD-BW-M) for the body type and (DDH-05) for the head type. Oh, do any of you have any past experiences with any commissioners? (Foreign or domestic)

e1293

Well, after seeing some of the work from KK Workshop, I think I will go all the way with this project. They really do get the likeness down perfectly! I sent them an inquiry. Hopefully they can do it! I will probably spend a lot in the long run, but I will just do it gradually!

hino123

I am also a newbie on this hobby, I bought a new body on a fellow dollfie enthusiast and it is much cheaper but new since she

Only wants the doll head. I suggest that you visit forums and dollfie sites for options. I did spend only 510 usd for the body, wig, eyes, and head with face up. The only problem left is the dress and shoes for her. By the way, my doll head is a custom also. I wonder what is the link for KK workshop? I am inerested though. Good luck on your first DD! ^_^

hino123

By the way, the site is on fb, dollfie dream adaption and chat. This might help you! I bought my doll body in this site recently.. ^_^

e1293

Here is the link to KK Workshop. (facebook.c0m/kkworkshopdoll) I sent them an inquiry and they said they wouldn't be able to do my character. I responded back to them with this picture for their reference and so far they haven't replied back. (i.imgur.c0m/mnRu6QA.jpg) I hope they can still do it. I am not concerned about the spacing between the eyes, nose, mouth, or even the size of the head. I just want the eyes, blush, and lips to look similar to the picture... I don't have privileges for posting links yet, so replace the "0" with "o"!

SydiaYuki
Here is the link to KK Workshop. (facebook.c0m/kkworkshopdoll) I sent them an inquiry and they said they wouldn't be able to do my character. I responded back to them with this picture for their reference and so far they haven't replied back. (i.imgur.c0m/mnRu6QA.jpg) I hope they can still do it. I am not concerned about the spacing between the eyes, nose, mouth, or even the size of the head. I just want the eyes, blush, and lips to look similar to the picture... I don't have privileges for posting links yet, so replace the "0" with "o"!

I add your reference image with link http://i.imgur.com/mnRu6QA.jpg

As Gunter already said ,if KK workshop is not able/willing to work on your project , there are always many other faceuppers and modders around, often also cheaper than them, in fact here on the "painting and customization" section me as many others have our shops and faceups portfolios http://www.dollfiedreams.com/viewforum.php?f=18 and also on Facebook and on Flickr there are many others artists from various countries in the world (consider that some faceuppers have very limited slots for time-period, some very famous don't like to follow too much instruction, and about japanese customizer almost ALL of them do not work on commission/request at all, they create heads and put them on ale on yja! ) , so there's always hope .

DDH-05 head is a head which is not very loved/popular nowadays and i've seen so far not many faceuppers willing to work on them lately, to have a mouth/lips like your reference the head i think would need some mods like i made in my DDH-05 girl , to lips mouth and profile

16024856067_46f7cf04b5_z.jpgirisviolet eyes by Sydia87, on Flickr

16023330390_9a9e6f3966_z.jpgOLYM1415new by Sydia87, on Flickr

****** My Custom DD outfits shop ******My Custom Faceups shop ******

Girls at home:

Lilac - DD2 WS + DDH-06 /Primrose - White Christmas Alna head /Iris - DDS NS + DDH-05 modded /Amaryllis - MDD NS + DDH-06 modded

hino123

Thank you for your info! This will help in the future!! ^__^

e1293

Thank you very much for the info and pictures. I will send more inquiries to various commissioners. In your opinion what head type would be the best for Hana? I thought that the DDH-05 would be the best, but I am not really sure now. Anyways, if you can think of any recommendations please let me know. Thanks!

e1293

Here is another reference picture. (i.imgur.c0m/Okf8dSa.jpg) I would probably rather have the blush and mouth style from this picture instead. I would like the eyes to be as narrow as this picture, but I guess that would probably be impossible even with modding?...

e1293

Black Swan replied back to me with these prices!... Quite expensive in my opinion. What do you think? Here are rough estimate of the costs.

[Dress set] 580 USD

[shoes] 160 USD

[Wig] 180 USD

[Face-up] 100 USD

[shipping and handling fee] Let us know where you live.

If you would like to order, we need about 23 weeks or little bit more for lead time.

After deciding on your item to order, and contact to us when you ready to payment.

Then we'll give you a paypal ID and our address.

Please reply by return of message. And then we'll make a final estimate.

If you have any other questions, I'll answer you with pleasure.

Thank you.

SydiaYuki
Black Swan replied back to me with these prices!... Quite expensive in my opinion. What do you think? Here are rough estimate of the costs.

[Dress set] 580 USD

[shoes] 160 USD

[Wig] 180 USD

[Face-up] 100 USD

[shipping and handling fee] Let us know where you live.

If you would like to order, we need about 23 weeks or little bit more for lead time.

After deciding on your item to order, and contact to us when you ready to payment.

Then we'll give you a paypal ID and our address.

Please reply by return of message. And then we'll make a final estimate.

If you have any other questions, I'll answer you with pleasure.

Thank you.

Black Swan honestly is one of the expensiviest shop i 've seen around in the DD hobby about outfits until now , i think your outfit set could be done i think for a price range between 100-150 usd or a little more /little less, or at least that's what i would charge for it as a seamstress , but i think many would charge a similar price, 580 usd for that outfit in my honest opinion is really too much .

About the faceup is expensive but not so far from prices around, usually the average price around this community faceupper's is around 35 to 60 usd for faceup (+ head price + shipping) .

Girls at home:

Lilac - DD2 WS + DDH-06 /Primrose - White Christmas Alna head /Iris - DDS NS + DDH-05 modded /Amaryllis - MDD NS + DDH-06 modded

kulayyelo
580 usd for that outfit in my honest opinion is really too much .

Seconding this one. I only expect this kind of price for one-off gothic lolita frills, but not this much for a blazer type school uniform. You can buy another doll with that kind of price

e1293

Can anyone vouch for the quality of Black Swan? I wouldn't mind getting a face up from them, but those prices are way too high for everything else. I was planning on creating an account on DenofAngels, but their registrations are closed at the moment. Also, I would have to have 40 posts and be a member for almost a month just to request a commission!

e1293

Here is another reply from Black Swan:

"This estimate does not cover cost of body or head. It should be purchased separate on your side.

Also we'd recommend Alisa (GOD EATER), Ranko Kanzaki (THE IDOLM@STER/Semi-white skin), Shino (Volks original) with dd3 M bust body to Hana."

So does anyone here know where I can buy any of these heads? I am guessing that they are expensive...

SydiaYuki
Here is another reply from Black Swan:

"This estimate does not cover cost of body or head. It should be purchased separate on your side.

Also we'd recommend Alisa (GOD EATER), Ranko Kanzaki (THE IDOLM@STER/Semi-white skin), Shino (Volks original) with dd3 M bust body to Hana."

So does anyone here know where I can buy any of these heads? I am guessing that they are expensive...

They are all pretty expensive, they are limited heads (and consider that changing faceup to a limited head probably could lower her marketplace value ) probably a price between 300/350 to 500 usd each in the aftermarket, depends on how much you're lucky , here's the volks page for Alisa http://www.volks.co.jp/en/dollfiedream/dd_ge_alisa.html/ and here's the one for Ranko (also Ranko is not a normal skin girl but it's semi white, so you would need a semi white body ) http://www.volks.co.jp/en/dollfiedream/dds_imcg_ranko.html/ , so you can see how they look, Shino is a pretty old doll, so it's difficult to find i think http://yhst-70052297082953.stores.yahoo.net/ddim011.html

You can search for them on yahoo Japan auction, mandarake, here on the marketplace of the forum once you reach 20 posts and on facebook groups /flickr...

Girls at home:

e1293

Thanks for the links! I really don't know where to start yet. I hope I don't have to spend over a grand just to get the likeness of my photos. In my opinion all of those custom heads look similar to normal heads. The eye holes might be slightly more narrow, but not by very much...

e1293

So far all of the parts I need are sold out. I guess their stock sells out quite quickly. Hopefully it will be restocked soon. If anyone can throw some more names of commissioners my way, I would be very grateful. I am looking for someone that can do custom eyes very accurately... Im really just trying to gather as much info as possible so I can have everything prepared beforehand. Either way this will probably take a while!...

e1293

Those are fantastic looking! How hard is it to make them that detailed looking? Also, do you think you could do the art justice of the pictures I posted previously? It seems quite similar to your style, but there are quite a few highlights in the eyes. Let me know what you think. I am quite impressed with your work!...

Eustia

I don't think it is anything particularly difficult at all. All of the eye stores I know of keep stocks of similar looking eyes to your image. I got mine custom since I wanted them cat slit pupils.

Lizanna's eyes are gorgeous. Amber may do fine for your girl; http://lizanna.com/shop/?s=amber&post_type=product ?

e1293

Thank you for the link! Those are very detailed! I might have to get some of those...