Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

jadepixel

Simple dress for DD

PrettyCranium

I'm hoping to get a chance to try this dress this week. One question: did you make a channel for the elastic to run through, or sew it directly to the fabric? I usually like to run my elastic through a channel, so I might have to add some fabric allowance if you did it the other way.

jadepixel

I did a fold-over channel for this one, there's room for it in the pattern if the elastic is small. Although, you could just sew on top of the elastic when you are hemming, if you stretch it at the same time as you stitch.

PrettyCranium

Okay, so I did a little work on the blouse of this pattern this weekend. I learned a very important lesson: it's harder than I thought! I think my white fabric is too thin, good for a lining but not heavy enough for a shirt. I also think my perfectionistic tendencies are getting me down. For example, I thought that I did not cut the pattern out neatly enough. I wasn't sure how to scrunch the bust part into line with the top of the shirt so that it scrunched evenly. Also, why do the back side edges look different than the front side edges? Do you just sew them so they fit? Am I waaaaay overthinking this?

I will be trying again with some of the lessons I learned from the first go. I think ironing my seams and hems will make a difference too. I might try doubling up the fabric or just make a thin blouse as practice.

In any case, I have no real sewing lessons, just a sewing machine and the will to succeed, so I will make another go of it.

jadepixel

I know my instructions are pretty vague, but Fenrir just put up a very nice walkthrough

To get even gathers, you can mark the middle of the piece before you gather it, and then make sure that both halves are the same length once it's gathered. Also I learned after making this pattern that you can sew two lines of stitches for gathers, which will help keep them straight.

As for the sides, they are a bit tricky to match up, but it creates a nice curve that follows the DD figure. You'll have to do similar maneuvers to sew fitted bust and hip parts, it just takes practice. As long as the fabric stays flat along the bit that's being sewn, it works out in the end. Lots of pins can help

PrettyCranium

Thanks! I will try again soon. Did you use elastic at the top and bottom of the bust like fenrir did, or just at the top and gather the bottom?

fenrir z78

Seeing how that part of the outfit is one of the bigger problems . Ill show what Jadepixel is talking about. Give me a little time to get it ready.

fenrir z78

It took me a little long then I was thinking.

Ok if you made it this far then you must be doing somthing right. I broke this down to make it as simlpe a I could. I know how it is when your told how and it just does not want to work. Hope this helps.

6560894839_108635ee8d_z.jpg

Ok here is the part labled "Blouse Bust"

6560895141_f8694c573a_z.jpg

I fold it in half long ways. ( bad to bad side) I did not make the edges touch. It is about 1/4 of an inch of an offset.( you want the longer side on top )

6560895203_5e4c011a58_z.jpg

Ok just so I dont blow any ones mind I am goning to us 2 deffrent colors of thread. blue is the bobbin and red is on the spool.

6560895273_aeef15758b_z.jpg

Now that I got that out the way. Here is the elastic band that I am going to use. (just to simplify I cut it a little longer then what I needed. I normaly dont cut it til after I sew it in place)

6560895341_b3d698762e_z.jpg

You can measure how wide your elastic band is but this is ezer for me.

6560895413_ea53465672_z.jpg

I took a ruler an marked a little bigger then the elastic band. ( that is so there will be some room to pull it throw)

6560895495_0dd10aee2c_z.jpg

Sew on your line. Dont forget to back stitch. I put the elastic band in to make sure it would fit ok. You do not have to put the elastic band it at this time.

6560895595_fac7b0d2b2_z.jpg

Next I set my sewing machine to its longest stitch. Next pull out about 6 inches of thread in the machine ( spool and bobbin ) Next stitch a line end to end. ( Do NOt Back Stitch) leave it long as well. Sew a line 1/4 of an inch over and repeat with leaveing the threads long. { if you got all that then take a brake and have a cookie }

6560895699_9868876739_z.jpg

Now comes a fun part. Set your sewing machine to a zig zag stitch. ( one that is about the with of your elastic band ) Start about 1/4 of an inch in and back stitch to the starting point of your cloth. ( Make sure the needle is all the way down )

6560895809_0f68550094_z.jpg

Ok now you are ready to start. Hold the end away from you in one hand and the elastic band in the other. Now the end closest to you pull it and start sewing on the elastic band. Use your other hand at the back to litely put is throw the machine. The maching will do most of the work for you. Dont forget to back stitch at the end. { you can pull it a good bite so do not worry about brakeing it }

6560895901_27c8bd3726_z.jpg

Should look something like this when it is done.

6560896015_c0cce7ca98_z.jpg

You can now cut the elastic band at the ends.

6560896095_d6cf1ea941_z.jpg

Time to gather the other side. This is just me but I tie one set of end together. Hold the bobbin threads (the blue threads) in one hand and pull the cloth on the threads.( it will not move far but if you keep working it down it will start to gather. )

6560896203_772983cdf9_z.jpg

Gather it till it is the lenth of your blouse front. You may want to even your gather at this time.

6560896333_06ed484628_z.jpg

Place good side to good side ( gather at the edge ) You can cut some of the thread if it is getting in the way.

6560896441_7489fb337f_z.jpg

Sew a line between your two gathing stitches.

6560896549_d05484ea90_z.jpg

Now you can remove the gathering stitches if you want or just cut the threads. YOu can make that call.

6560896655_e16eefeb19_z.jpg

Ok kids where about there. Finsh sewing the end of the blouse bust. I like to use velcro to hold the back together. It gives you some play if you where off a bit.

6560896755_dd37b0109d_z.jpg

Me: Ok we are all done. Time to try it on. Emily can you come here please.

Emily: Ok I am on my way.

Me: I need you to try this on for me.

Emily: Ok.

6560896873_87a5706579_z.jpg

Emily: Well how does it look.

Me: It looks fine. But does it fit right.

Emily: It fits just fine. You are geting better at makeing it.

6560896995_08ef7f9e12_z.jpg

Lucy: Well what do we have here. Are you geting a new outfit again Emily.

Emily: No Lucy. Its not like that. I'm sorry.

6560897115_66ff305f3d_z.jpg

Me: Emily there is no need to be sorry. You where doing something for me. Lucy just has a chip on her shoulder.

Emily: Ok.

Lucy: What ever.

LoveAngel

Great explanation.

By the way, Lucy's dress is fabulous.

Wordpress - Twitter - Facebook

Proud mother of Yukino-chan, Aoi-chan, Ms. Mariko and Millhiore F. Biscotti.

Waiting for : $$$

Wishlist : Miku Hatsune costume

PrettyCranium

Thank you, thank you! This is exactly what I needed. I will be trying this soon.

Also, I love the red dress -- pattern for that?

PrettyCranium

Okay, guys, update time. I tried the blouse again yesterday, and it caming out looking good. Unfortunately, when I tried it on my DD, it doesn't fit!

The bust part is too small -- it barely covers her nipples if the seam is right under her breasts. The back parts are too small as well, so it cannot close up at the back.

I'm thinking that I might have made my seams too wide. Jadepixel said in her notes that she left 1 cm, but it turns out too small for me. I particularly don't know why the bust part turned out smaller for me since I followed Fenrir's tutorial exactly (great tutorial, it worked brilliantly).

The simplest solution might be to print out the pattern slightly bigger. However, I feel like the front of the blouse was the right size width-wise, but needed to be shorter height-wise. The backs needed to be wider.

The other option is just using the one I made to adjust the pattern Jadepixel provided to something that works on my dolls, but that's harder.

Also, my material frays like a bugger. I need a serger!

It kind of bothers me that we all have the same DDs, the pattern worked for Fenrir, but not for me! On the plus side, I learned A LOT from sewing this piece, especially with the elastic and gathering. Like I said, the blouse actually looks great, just doesn't fit right. I am going to try again until I get it right!

Thank you guys for your help.

fenrir z78
The bust part is too small -- it barely covers her nipples if the seam is right under her breasts. The back parts are too small as well, so it cannot close up at the back.

Does it look like this.

6569860951_5352b3eae0_z.jpg

this is ware the nipple is on the one I sewed.

6569861141_3ddf0d72bf_z.jpg

What I have had to do was pull the top part together first. The elastic makes it look and feel small. here is what it looks like after you pull it.

6569861023_9db5fd1200_z.jpg

Now I know it does not look like something you buy at the store. But I am ok with it. ( it cost me about $3 to make and I can make about 3 more if I want. To where I could of spent $65 and got one something online. What do you think was the better deal. ) Anyways. This is why I used velcro. It gives you some play to work with. { I sew my seams a little bigger then 1 cm. } This is just me but no one is goingto be looking at her back and the dress and her hair is going to cover it anyways.

The simplest solution might be to print out the pattern slightly bigger. However, I feel like the front of the blouse was the right size width-wise, but needed to be shorter height-wise. The backs needed to be wider.

If you made the dress in a darker color the blouse is acting like a liner to protect her from staining. As for the back leave it a little longer. Here is an example.

6570240125_099b2b7984_z.jpg

I know me handwriteing looks like chickscrach. Just trace the pattern like normal but when it is time to cut leave the side that is going to be open to the back longer. You can alway make it smaller later if you need to. ( note I did this on paper but it gets the point throw) That should take care of the back problem.

Also, my material frays like a bugger. I need a serger!

There is a glue called fry stop. You can use that. Here is a link on how to sew a finshed edge without a serger.

Both should work fine.

It kind of bothers me that we all have the same DDs, the pattern worked for Fenrir, but not for me! On the plus side, I learned A LOT from sewing this piece, especially with the elastic and gathering. Like I said, the blouse actually looks great, just doesn't fit right. I am going to try again until I get it right!

Thats the way to do it. Keep trying till you nail that sucker. Just rember to have fun doing it. You get a deffrent feeling about the clothing your girl is whearing. You feel more proud of her outfit. Unlike something you just buy online. I think everyone should try makeing an outfit at least once. ( Dont say " I dont have the skills to do that. " , " It looks hard. " or " I just cant do that. " Look at how much money you spend on buying outfits. You can take basic sewing class. The worse thing that can happen is you learn something useful.

PrettyCranium

Thanks Fenrir! My blouse looks like yours on the back. I'm going to try again with longer (wider) back sections and perhaps a bigger bust peice (or smaller seam allowances). I'm reassured by your pictures that I'm doing the right thing.

As for Fray Stop, I find it makes the fabric really crusty. I have a bottle of it somewhere, I will give it a try and see how I like it.

fenrir z78
Thanks Fenrir! My blouse looks like yours on the back. I'm going to try again with longer (wider) back sections and perhaps a bigger bust peice (or smaller seam allowances). I'm reassured by your pictures that I'm doing the right thing.

As for Fray Stop, I find it makes the fabric really crusty. I have a bottle of it somewhere, I will give it a try and see how I like it.

I know what you mean. Fray stop is one of those thing I try not useing if I can. A serger is the best way to go. But they cost sooooo much. It may be something I plan on geting at the frst of the year.