Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Averis

The Future of DollfieDreams

What do you think of upgrading DollfieDreams?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of upgrading DollfieDreams?

• This sounds great!
    • I'm pretty happy with how things are.
    • Meh, I'm okay either way.

Eiko82

And about the webtitle, well, darlings is sweet in my thoughts, but when my bf heard vinyldarlings went to the dark thought of sexual dolls for humans...different point of views xD

Your boyfriend isn't the only one. When I read the name VinylDarlings, that's honestly the first thing that crossed my mind. It sounds like a dodgy sex site. So I really do hope that you'll consider giving it another name.

Living at my place: Rise (DD Rise Kujikawa), Chie (Smart Doll Mirai) and Aisha (Smart Doll Kurenai)

BeyondTime

And about the webtitle, well, darlings is sweet in my thoughts, but when my bf heard vinyldarlings went to the dark thought of sexual dolls for humans...different point of views xD

Your boyfriend isn't the only one. When I read the name VinylDarlings, that's honestly the first thing that crossed my mind. It sounds like a dodgy sex site. So I really do hope that you'll consider giving it another name.

If the first place a significant others mind is goes when hearing “vinyldarlings” is a site for people and their inflatable latex lovers, I can understand how that would exceed your comfort level.

I think it might potentially push the comfort level of straight cis males new to the hobby. For some who might already be feeling like they are stepping outside the bounds of gender / social norms 'darlings' might be offputting.

I think Den of Angels avoids that because the word Angel has a connotation of purity, innocence, and a higher state of being.

Edited by Guest

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

cfx

That connotation never occurred to me because I'm naive, but now that it's been brought up by a few of you, I'm uncomfortable with the name as well.

BeyondTime
That connotation never occurred to me because I'm naive, but now that it's been brought up by a few of you, I'm uncomfortable with the name as well.

It hadn't occurred to me either until it got brought up, and I grew up in the 70s & 80s when blow up dolls were the punchline to all kinds of jokes in just about every type of media.

Thinking about a Frederica Miyamoto release made me think about Danny's Cortex. Where exactly would that fit in a vinyl doll themed forum? It almost seems to me like it would be off topic, but it might be hard to make that distinction if that is where SmartDolls are going.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

UnderOrange

Hmm... Pretty Poppets for a name? A bit old fashioned, but poppet just means small person so it seemed both cute and appropriate, lol.

After looking up other adjectives, I think Precious Poppets sounds cute too, but maybe a little too young.

Priceless Poppets could be fun.

I dunno, I'll keep thinking on it. Couldn't find another term of endearment that had doll connotations without also being unfortunate.

Amber

about the feedback... maybe if it can't actually be transferred over, there can be a master thread with people's feedback percentages. or there can be a way to link to our feedback from this site, since it appears to still be existing as an archive? or maybe there can be a way to take a screenshot of our feedback here and post it as a picture in our profiles on the new website as a reference. i dunno, i just want it to be easy for you so i had a bunch of weird thoughts hahaha

as for the name... the more people are voicing their concerns, i guess it is rubbing off on me too

Averis

If it's on topic it can be sold in the marketplace and I'll try to have categories for them.

I'm not sure what to do with Cortex. What do you all think?

I guess we'll find another name then if so many feel disgusted by it. I'll see if I can drum up more ideas.

cfx

I think it will be hard to separate them from the rest of the Smart Dolls. Danny also has a hybrid version with the vinyl head and I think bust and hands. They use the same or similar internal frame, and wear the same clothing. He has stated that future licensed dolls may only be sold as Cortex too; I think the Idolmaster ones are to be like that so I think it would be weird to be able to discuss certain models of Smart Dolls and not others.

While Cortex isn't vinyl, in every other way they seem to be the same thing as the vinyl Smart Dolls. I think maybe material is less important than... style? (maybe not the right word)... We already have a topic for SQLabs because people use their heads on DD bodies and the aesthetic is similar even though they're made of resin.

As new varieties of things come out, the more SD-like Nier dolls and whatever Dollfie Icon turns out to be, there's going to be more questions like this I'm sure.

BeyondTime

I guess we'll find another name then if so many feel disgusted by it. I'll see if I can drum up more ideas.

Just so we're clear I do not in any way feel disgusted by it. I was perfectly ok with the name change. It just occurred to me it might be off-putting to some who are new to the hobby and might be hesitant to step outside of their comfort zone.

I can also see how the word darling is perfectly in keeping with the "child" concept of Dollfie, but it can also have a romantic connotation.

When I first showed up here with my first DD Kos-Mos I saw her as a natural extension to my figure collecting, and really wasn't thinking of getting any more. Now 34 dolls, including 3 SD, later it's a major hobby, but I am still cognizant of the fact that there are people in my own life / family who would not understand. I think that can be very intimidating for some people, so having a very neutral sounding name might be a plus if we want to bring in new people.

UnderOrange

Hm.. VinylBJDs would be very neutral, I think. Or AnimeBJDs if you wanted to avoid vinyl. The problem then I think would be getting buried in search results.

(I still like Poppets though, lol)

Ravendruid

I, personally, really like the sweet connotations of vinyl Darlings, and am far more likely to associate “love dolls” with silicone than vinyl, so really don’t understand that link at all, but it’s obviously not my choice.

Daddy of: Yuriko, Sohi, Miku and SK's many kids

12437295384_b307eb5ce8.jpg

BeyondTime

While I don't necessarily think that I like having some variation on the words "internal frame" in the name, I do think there may be merit to the idea of strung versus internal frame is what makes this forum not DOA. If we decide it's dolls with internal frames regardless of the outer skin then cortex is in by definition.

I, personally, really like the sweet connotations of vinyl Darlings

Yeah, and when I look at their faces I do totally feel the same way. Personally I would rather find a substitute word for vinyl than for darlings as long as whatever name is chosen makes people want to come inside. In the end though I know we will never satisfy everyone out there.

Gunter

I think avoiding BJD in the title is a good idea. They aren't BJDs after all.

I definitely see the points people are making, but I can't stop thinking of this title as a fetishists site now. XD

I do think it does also exclude those who come from a more collector side of the hobby and not the overly affectionate side.

But in the end whatever the name is is fine. I'm not one to focus too hard on them.

Meggiekarp

May I make some website name suggestions also?

VinylHeaven

VinylHaven

DollPalace

SimplyVinyl

SimplyDoll

HobbyDollie

AcrylicEyes

DollDreams

HappyDolls

DenOfDemons

42bdad38462f9e0e55136363ad50c3e2540275d465b58e2ee287546278681177fbfb1c7dcde945f5da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd8070948bdbe670fb79df22c7754c819f8b53f.png

Averis

Okay, so I put together a list of names that have been suggested and checked their availability. I also threw in a couple new ones. I'm thinking we can run two polls, maybe? One to narrow things from this list and then another to get a final choice.

I think I'm going to push back updating/moving the site another week so we can get this all cleared up.

vinyldarlings.com

vinyldollcommunity.com

vinyldollstuff.com

mydollstuff.com

framearmsdolls.com

internalframes.com

armaturescience.com

dollfiesetc.com

angelicether.com

dolliedreams.com

dolliedreaming.com

dreamdollie(s).com

dolliedarlings.com

pricelesspoppets.com

animebjds.com

vinylbjds.com

mydollsafespace.com

dollfiedreaming.com

vinyldreams.net

dollfiedreaming.com

vinyldolldreams.com

vinyldolliedreams.com

dearvinyls.com

dolldreamz.com

simplydoll.com

hobbydollie.com

acryliceyes.com

If anyone wants to throw out more ideas before I make a poll, please do!

Jezrah

Is it the vinyl part that is the issue or the darlings part? For example, how do people feel about VinylModels as a name, does that bring the same connotations or no? Not that that is necessarily the best choice either since it doesn't really imply dolls, but to me it doesn't seem to carry the same issue so I'm curious how others see it.

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

foo

Oof, was away for a while and I have 14 pages to read... got through seven and had to give up

About the decline in activity, I know all too well being an admin of a mostly defunct forum, and seeing some others that I loved blink out of existence, that forums are well past heyday. But despite that this is still an active community, and TBH it makes being a DD collector great.

And uh, I'm guilty of not being as active but it's mostly because I really don't want to get more dolls (with a few very narrow exceptions) so I just kind of ignore much of the News posts...

As an aside, no more BBCode! It's a fully WYSIWYG editor.

Ahh... that could be a problem. Different browsers/platforms (especially phones) deal with WYSIWYG editors differently. Aside from crashing/barfing, you also have problems with people copy & pasting text which ends up as random large colored Times New Roman chunks in forum posts. I hope there's still an option for BBCode.

About forum tech, TBH I'm surprised that dollfiedreams.com, which runs on Dreamhost and uses PHP, hasn't been hacked (or maybe it has and we can't tell). I also now how easy it is for a phpBB site running on Dreamhost to be hacked (--') Basically anything PHP is just begging to be hacked. The way PHP is, an exploit just needs to be able to trick the software to write out a file with some PHP code and then everything's wide open. That's a very low hurdle.

Something that uses plugins is especially vulnerable. Lots of open source plugins are slapped together by hobbyists where secure coding isn't even an afterthought.

About the name, vinyldarlings makes sense to us (we're calling our dolls darlings) but to an outsider I do think it's problematic (like how someone's post I skimmed over mentioned that DoA used Angel for that reason). I'd be very happy just to keep calling it dollfiedreams.

cfx
Is it the vinyl part that is the issue or the darlings part? For example, how do people feel about VinylModels as a name, does that bring the same connotations or no? Not that that is necessarily the best choice either since it doesn't really imply dolls, but to me it doesn't seem to carry the same issue so I'm curious how others see it.

I don't know for others, but for me the darlings part is the problem; to me it implies some kind of unhealthy attachment.

Averis
Ahh... that could be a problem. Different browsers/platforms (especially phones) deal with WYSIWYG editors differently. Aside from crashing/barfing, you also have problems with people copy & pasting text which ends up as random large colored Times New Roman chunks in forum posts. I hope there's still an option for BBCode.

About forum tech, TBH I'm surprised that dollfiedreams.com, which runs on Dreamhost and uses PHP, hasn't been hacked (or maybe it has and we can't tell). I also now how easy it is for a phpBB site running on Dreamhost to be hacked (--') Basically anything PHP is just begging to be hacked. The way PHP is, an exploit just needs to be able to trick the software to write out a file with some PHP code and then everything's wide open. That's a very low hurdle.

Something that uses plugins is especially vulnerable. Lots of open source plugins are slapped together by hobbyists where secure coding isn't even an afterthought.

About the name, vinyldarlings makes sense to us (we're calling our dolls darlings) but to an outsider I do think it's problematic (like how someone's post I skimmed over mentioned that DoA used Angel for that reason). I'd be very happy just to keep calling it dollfiedreams.

Well, then... you might not like the new site at all it sounds like. >< Sorry.

I've been using PHP since the early 2000s. More than half the internet runs on PHP. And as a testament, despite its age and running on "Dreamhost," which I don't know why that's an issue, it's been doing just fine.

Anyway, I'm trying to be open to suggestions and please as many members as I can, but at some point I will have to cut things off and just do what I can and what feels best to me. I'm sorry if it doesn't please everyone or meet expectations, but, we are large enough that there are bound to be folks that are not happy with certain changes.

I am trying my best, though.

BeyondTime

I kind of like:

angelicether.com

angelicdoll(s).com ?

Part of me liked DenofDemons too, but no, even though we do have many Miku's here.

I also sort of like moving away from something Volks specific if other vinyl brands are going to be main forum. I like dollfiedreams.com the most of all of them, but it's harder to say SmD or Obitsu are welcome if the name says we're really all about Volks. When I read about the forum upgrading, and the new name, it did occur to me that the forum does need to bring in new things or it will eventually stagnate and become less and less active.

And uh, I'm guilty of not being as active but it's mostly because I really don't want to get more dolls (with a few very narrow exceptions) so I just kind of ignore much of the News posts...

Maybe this is a bit of an unfair thing to say, but we all love seeing your photos even if you aren't into buying / discussing new dolls. What you had to say always struck me as having a lot of value, so your absence has been noticeable.

sinclair

I for one as a standard male type person have no issues with vinyldarlings. I actually like it and in my head it works as the evolved form of dollfiedreams as we are growing from just DDs to vinyl with internal frames as the forum's focus.

This is a really out there request, but do you know if it would even be possible to link to Google Photos for posts?

FYI, I use Google Photos to host all my DD photos I post here (It's free and there are no limits on number of photos I can store.). It isn't done with a single button click, but I manage a workflow that works for me 99% of the time. If you want more info hit me up with a PM. If others want info, let me know and I'll do a how-to thread.

Amber

this is the order in which i liked your new suggestions, top 5 to make it smaller amount

dollfiedreaming.com (feels like a "part 2" to the site. different, but still tied together)

dolliedreams.com (feels like a "part 2" to the site. different, but still tied together)

angelicether.com (sounds nice and is short/easy to remember)

dollfiesetc.com (straight and to the point)

simplydoll.com (straight and to the point)

foo
I've been using PHP since the early 2000s. More than half the internet runs on PHP. And as a testament, despite its age and running on "Dreamhost," which I don't know why that's an issue, it's been doing just fine.

I bring it up because I've been using Dreamhost (and still happily am) for 15 years now (ーー') PHP is wildly popular because has extremely low overhead when running on shared hosting (which is just about every provider that runs the web server software for you), while giving people full functionality to write web apps. But the common configuration that things like WordPress, Drupal and phpBB require (public directory is writable by PHP) is insecure and frequently exploited.

Offtopic... Dreamhost used to offer a secure PHP setup where CGIs ran as a separate user that didn't have write permission to where the PHP source is, but all the big PHP software is written to not work that way. That became increasingly useless so Dreamhost doesn't do that anymore.

If you were looking into an option that didn't use PHP, cool! Unfortunately last time I checked there wasn't anything else that was worth it (TBH I'd probably start off looking into a new phpBB). If you're going to use php make sure you take security into account, at the very least make sure you sign up for Dreamhost's malware removal and be wary of random plugins.

Maybe this is a bit of an unfair thing to say, but we all love seeing your photos even if you aren't into buying / discussing new dolls. What you had to say always struck me as having a lot of value, so your absence has been noticeable.

Aw thanks. If it helps, Melty's DDS-f3 body arrived late last week but I had to fly out for the weekend and couldn't do anything. I want to do a proper post for the f3 body, but she currently looks gorgeous so I'm distracted by wanting to take a worthy photo of her first.

BeyondTime
I for one as a standard male type person have no issues with vinyldarlings. I actually like it and in my head it works as the evolved form of dollfiedreams as we are growing from just DDs to vinyl with internal frames as the forum's focus.

I felt the same way at first, but seeing someone say that their boyfriends reaction made them really uncomfortable got me thinking that maybe we should look at it from the perspective of people outside the community too.

Aw thanks. If it helps, Melty's DDS-f3 body arrived late last week but I had to fly out for the weekend and couldn't do anything. I want to do a proper post for the f3 body, but she currently looks gorgeous so I'm distracted by wanting to take a worthy photo of her first.

I bet she does. The F3 body is really nice.

Averis
I bring it up because I've been using Dreamhost (and still happily am) for 15 years now (ーー') PHP is wildly popular because has extremely low overhead when running on shared hosting (which is just about every provider that runs the web server software for you), while giving people full functionality to write web apps. But the common configuration that things like WordPress, Drupal and phpBB require (public directory is writable by PHP) is insecure and frequently exploited.

Offtopic... Dreamhost used to offer a secure PHP setup where CGIs ran as a separate user that didn't have write permission to where the PHP source is, but all the big PHP software is written to not work that way. That became increasingly useless so Dreamhost doesn't do that anymore.

If you were looking into an option that didn't use PHP, cool! Unfortunately last time I checked there wasn't anything else that was worth it (TBH I'd probably start off looking into a new phpBB). If you're going to use php make sure you take security into account, at the very least make sure you sign up for Dreamhost's malware removal and be wary of random plugins.

Fair enough. (I've only been on DH for 12 years. XD) I also try to lock down things via htaccess, which has helped my Wordpress sites. And I'm well aware of the issues with plug-ins, again due to my Wordpress use.

The package we'll be using is used by some pretty big names (kaspersky, nbc, sega, nhl, avg, lego, nfl etc) and has several security measure we can take advantage of. Truth is, though, we're fairly small and I'm sure that's played a role in why we never really had major issue.