Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

RainbowNanaki

Smart Doll Boys Release Schedule

katana

It looks like the both Eiji Seiun Kai (Milk) and Crimson Kai (Tea) are back on sale!!

I already snagged an Eiji for myself!!

Moon-to-Starlight
5 hours ago, katana said:

It looks like the both Eiji Seiun Kai (Milk) and Crimson Kai (Tea) are back on sale!!

I already snagged an Eiji for myself!!

Oooooohhhhh! I received the notification today and I was so close to jumping in right away...! I want and Eiji but I also want a Suzaku and I think he is still up for release at the end of this month. (〃>_<;〃)

I think I'm going to have to continue living vicariously through everyone's pictures of Eiji in the mean time.

Congrats on your new boy!

RainbowNanaki

Yeah, I'm... disappointed, but not surprised. I do not have much of a budget for dolls, so I have to be very picky about what I buy. I was recently able to sell some things, so I was in a position to get my 3rd doll (and most likely final for many years), but now I just... I don't know anymore. One of the cinnamon boys would have been perfect to customize.

He/Him --- I like making stuff --- Please don't make sexual/lewd comments about my dolls, thank you!

At Home: Tyler (Akira 2nd), Adrienne (Smart Doll Mirai Cortex), Bryan (Smart Doll Eiji, cinnamon ver.)

Waiting For: Nothing atm

Wishlist: Smart Doll Crimson Kai in tea skin

aurelia

The boy dolls are great (I prefer them to the girl dolls, which I like a lot), but from the tone of Danny's post, it sounds like Cinnamon Crimson/Eiji are either never coming out or not coming out for a very long time. That's incredibly disappointing, especially because I think he said previously Milk Eiji wasn't being made anymore, so that seems to imply that Eiji may not be released for a long time, if ever. 

It looks like, for the foreseeable future, if we want a boy, we'll have to buy a licensed doll. I'm excited about some of the upcoming licenses, but I wish that wasn't the only option. 

• Like 3

HyenaSloth

Looks like licensed dolls will be the only way, yes. I mailed CJ a few weeks back about this and got the following in reply:

"Hey!

Don't think we are going to release any boys any time soon until further announcement >< "

So... yeah.

• Like 1

Tira
On 12/24/2019 at 8:43 AM, HyenaSloth said:

Looks like licensed dolls will be the only way, yes. I mailed CJ a few weeks back about this and got the following in reply:

"Hey!

Don't think we are going to release any boys any time soon until further announcement >< "

So... yeah.

I can't tell what bothers me more; the fact that the only way to get a boy will be through buying a pricier licensed doll, or the fact that there's been no official announcement, just stringing people along in hopes that maybe some more boys will be released.

Between this and the fact that Volks has yet to make a male DD body that can't share clothes with the girls, getting Archer will definitely not be possible anytime soon.

• Like 2

RainbowNanaki

*infinite screaming* I hate this

• Like 2

He/Him --- I like making stuff --- Please don't make sexual/lewd comments about my dolls, thank you!

At Home: Tyler (Akira 2nd), Adrienne (Smart Doll Mirai Cortex), Bryan (Smart Doll Eiji, cinnamon ver.)

Waiting For: Nothing atm

Wishlist: Smart Doll Crimson Kai in tea skin

HyenaSloth
17 hours ago, Tira said:

I can't tell what bothers me more; the fact that the only way to get a boy will be through buying a pricier licensed doll, or the fact that there's been no official announcement, just stringing people along in hopes that maybe some more boys will be released.

Between this and the fact that Volks has yet to make a male DD body that can't share clothes with the girls, getting Archer will definitely not be possible anytime soon.

Definitely the stringing along for me =_= I thought that one batch selling out fast would be a good motivator to keep the boys on but apparently not.

Had been hoping to maybe get a twin for my Crimson but looks like we're left with the kids from Volks and Granado's Manliest Men 😕

• Like 2

freakie-oppa

Well, I'm not sure about stringing along, that did point blank say, they will NOT be selling them any time soon.

I always thought that Eiji KAI's face is one of the most perfect vinyl heads out there. However, to me his body never matched the quality of that head, or the quality Smart Dolls have to offer. But I also remember he took so much time on that new body before the release, only for the sales result to be...subpar? I feel like Danny Choo lost the love he once had for male dolls. He likes the characters he makes on them, but I don't think making male dolls is an experience he entirely enjoys.

He literally revamped the entire body for the boys, but again, they didn't really sell like the older Eiji/Crimson despite the complaints he had for the older sculpt. At this point, there is no way Eiji/Crimson KAI even meets the sale mark his other girls touch. He barely promotes them too, (I mean, he takes all his girlies out for dinner and sight seeing, what about his sons??? TT_TT )

I don't think a batch selling out is really telling of a doll's popularity. After the XS bust was revived from the grave, the sales for that too, left alot to be desired, and now it's no longer being sold, again. To him, Eiji/Crimson selling out could just be like 'Eh, people are probs buying it cause there is limited stock. They're not gonna buy it if they aren't limited.'

Danny has mentioned before that molds are expensive, and lack of popularity has been the knife to many of his past work. Until he really sees a particular demand, I don't think he'd ever sell standard boys regularly until he regains his love for them. But hey, DC is in the horizon. Many of the main heroes in the DC label would likely require a body shape rework, and maybe working on them again would reignite his motivation. I hope it does.

I hope Eiji KAI comes back, there really isn't a head quite like that one. Owning one was a magical experience. :( 

Edited by freakie-oppa
  • Like 1

monkeypizzasonic
8 hours ago, HyenaSloth said:

Definitely the stringing along for me =_= I thought that one batch selling out fast would be a good motivator to keep the boys on but apparently not.

Had been hoping to maybe get a twin for my Crimson but looks like we're left with the kids from Volks and Granado's Manliest Men 😕

I was just thinking, maybe if we all ask Granado nicely they'll consider making vinyl versions of some of their smaller buff boy bodies as well...they do seem more open to customer feedback

NeeP

I will not give up on hoping for more boys.  I am willing to assemble them piecemeal, if needed.  Marc, my last SmD boy, is a second-hand stained Lelouch body (now cleanred) with a head sourced through this forum.  I almost have enough parts for one more boy, just need another head.

But I will still keep an eye out for more boys nonetheless.  Maybe there only needs to be a spark of inspiration to renew Danny Choo's interest.  It works like that for most people, anyway.

Niki P.

Vinyl brood at home: Len, Noah, Kenji, Rinto, Kiri, Eiji, Anais, Rin, ‘Red’, Lenka, Kai, Midoriya, Marc, ‘Sue’, Terra, Night, Frankie, Anna and Chitose.

Jezrah

There's definitely the problem of not promoting the boys, as well as not having as many options as the girls. But when he started Danny said he was going to make all of his products standard and available all the time, unlike some brands we know. The problem there lies not only in having so many products and needing to store them, but also that people will put a doll lower on the priority list if it's not limited. Everyone complains about limited release snobbery or whatever, but that's the one model for sales where you usually sell out quickly. The only real way to have always available standards is to have a wait time for them to be made after you order them, like resins. This isn't as easily done with vinyls or injection molding though, because you need to make them in larger batches.

It is sad, though, because there just aren't many vinyl boys out there. My Eiji does draw positive attention when I have him out, same as the girls.

• Like 2

32717445532_3aa446bd94_m.jpg

Hologram

When I saw that Eiji wasn't available on the website I thought it was temporary 😕 Reading this thread tells me otherwise... I still hope that there will be a revival for male Smartdolls, there are so few options when it comes to vinyl boys.

monkeypizzasonic

Danny said in the comments on Entropy that he's planning on releasing males in q1/2 this year, but it's unclear if he means basics or licensed. (90% sure Naruto is coming soon, but idk if that's what he meant.)

• Like 1

UnderOrange

Looks like they're planning a batch in March of Cinnamon Crimson and Eiji. Probably a pre-order. That's exciting, I know a lot of people were hoping for them.

Lynn

Crimson Kai in cinnamon would be so cool. And those hand packs too! Hand pack in milk is a must, I missed it previously.

Lynn

2 hours ago, monkeypizzasonic said:
POTENTIAL NEW SEMI-REAL BOY!

And a must-have, at that! I wouldn't mind a hybrid myself, but we really need a new Smartdoll guy! I hope he becomes a reality! 

Edited by Lynn

monkeypizzasonic
18 minutes ago, Lynn said:

And a must-have, at that! I wouldn't mind a hybrid myself, but we really need a new Smartdoll guy! I hope he becomes a reality! 

The comments on Instagram seem pretty in favor of boy (although I also wouldn't mind a hybrid/option to get them on a girl body as well).

I really like some of the semi-real girls, but I think the boy version just shot to the top of my list (doesn't hurt that he's styled close to the character I've been wanting to shell as a vinyl boy anyway)!

Mame

Ahhh he's so cute! I hope this means  that the other two are going to come back, and not just in very limited quantities...@onion30@

Now thinking about it a nb/trans doll would be pretty cool. I would like to see how Danny handles it as he seems open to representing many different types of people. Although he has focused on race and such, never has he said anything about the LGBTQ community. That would be pretty interesting to see. 

Edited by Mame
Wanted to add things

NeeP

I think this sculpt would make a great boy, and I think that the anime style boys eyes would work with this face up.  I also think that because of the wider nose and mouth, this sculpt would make an awesome cocoa boy.

• Like 1

Niki P.

Vinyl brood at home: Len, Noah, Kenji, Rinto, Kiri, Eiji, Anais, Rin, ‘Red’, Lenka, Kai, Midoriya, Marc, ‘Sue’, Terra, Night, Frankie, Anna and Chitose.

ParacosmDoll

Edited by ParacosmDoll