Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Pihlajakoto

Cortex release schedule

DaemonNoyz
29 minutes ago, Mothiraffe said:

@DaemonNoyz to spite me personally. 😕

I hope we get an update on this soon. If there's just open communication- machinery malfunction, building stock to meet expected demand, what have you, I'd be so understanding. 

Has Danny actually put a price to Cortex dolls yet?

I haven't heard anything regarding price...or anything regarding the reason for the delay. I saw that the hybrid cortex Mika idolmaster doll is still going to be priced the same as previous licensed characters...

Mothiraffe

@DaemonNoyz That might be something that was already agreed upon before Cortex really took off, licenseholders often demand a certain amount of sales/profit/et al. But I'm also wishfully thinking because if Cortex are still nearly 500 dollars for a base doll, it's gonna be a hellaciously hard sale over in this household OTL

ISO: SmD Crimson Kai, Interstellar Blue Prowess, Resolute (Tea), all the boys | DD Icon Tawny | Obitsu 55cm, 60cm Bodies | instagram: lunaraffe

CrazyDollPerson

I have been waiting for the cortex release and really curious about the price. I would like to get at least one in each skin tone I have so that my girls can use the bodies with darker clothes. If the price is close to vinyl I probably won't bother though.  

I hope he sells just the bodies, and it would be amazing if he sold the face plates separately too as the full cortex heads have a face plate rather than a head with a head cap.

I can't wait to see more photos/videos from people, I just need more info.

Mothiraffe

@jenlovesdolls Ooooo did not know that about the Cortex heads, that's AWESOME. Faceplates = multiple expressions for each doll in my book, and it's good for everyone, faceup artists will make a killing bankrupting literally everyone /shot

I've been hoping Danny would sell blank heads and bodies (though you can get Milk at least) for ages now. Maybe one day +_+

But that said, I'm in the same boat. I love the stain-proof and general damage resistance of Cortex, but not if it's at the same price point of vinyl. 

ISO: SmD Crimson Kai, Interstellar Blue Prowess, Resolute (Tea), all the boys | DD Icon Tawny | Obitsu 55cm, 60cm Bodies | instagram: lunaraffe

Eiko82

No word on why Cortex was delayed but I'm guessing it's to avoid getting swamped with tonnes of orders.

As for the price, there is still no word. In his most recent newsletter, Danny said that people can order dolls to pick up at Dokomi and that you can choose a vinyl or Cortex body. From his newsletter

Prices will be as follows - these are DOKOMI exclusive packages.
Smart Doll (with vinyl body) = 530 EUR (includes tax) - these include approx 235 EUR of curated apparel.
Smart Doll (with cortex body) = 470 EUR (includes tax) - these include approx 235 EUR of curated apparel.

I know that the doll is a Cortex body with vinyl head & hands but I'm kinda surprised to see that the difference between a vinyl and Cortex order is 60 EUR.

Living at my place: Rise (DD Rise Kujikawa), Chie (Smart Doll Mirai) and Aisha (Smart Doll Kurenai)

BeyondTime
13 minutes ago, Eiko82 said:

No word on why Cortex was delayed but I'm guessing it's to avoid getting swamped with tonnes of orders.

As for the price, there is still no word. In his most recent newsletter, Danny said that people can order dolls to pick up at Dokomi and that you can choose a vinyl or Cortex body. From his newsletter

I know that the doll is a Cortex body with vinyl head & hands but I'm kinda surprised to see that the difference between a vinyl and Cortex order is 60 EUR.

That kind of explains Mika's price, because they have licensing on top of that. I think I stated somewhere else that I would be surprised if dolls with a wig and outfit went below $500 US. If he does create his cortex kits that would be a different story, and kind of a neat idea.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

magique

It's really disappointing to see both higher prices than expected and such a delayed release date. I really wonder how well Cortex will sell given all this. 

Edited by sweets
  • Like 1

CrazyDollPerson
10 hours ago, Mothiraffe said:

@jenlovesdolls Ooooo did not know that about the Cortex heads, that's AWESOME. Faceplates = multiple expressions for each doll in my book, and it's good for everyone, faceup artists will make a killing bankrupting literally everyone /shot

I've been hoping Danny would sell blank heads and bodies (though you can get Milk at least) for ages now. Maybe one day +_+

But that said, I'm in the same boat. I love the stain-proof and general damage resistance of Cortex, but not if it's at the same price point of vinyl. 

Yeah the full cortex head the face comes off in front...you can kind of see it here:

756364030_ScreenShot2019-05-19at5_31_16PM.png.62f8f696a5765d2b94a8571bf674e550.png

I am debating on getting Mika and selling everything but the body.  I just want a stain proof body right now but not sure if I will make enough back selling her head and the full outfit and I would have to make back a good chunk of the cost to order her. I want so many things right now but just sold a bunch of things to pay things then bought more things and yeah round and round I go...

BeyondTime
55 minutes ago, jenlovesdolls said:

I am debating on getting Mika and selling everything but the body. 

I'd be into buying her wig and outfit. I'd be into the eyes too, but only if SmD eyes work in DD heads.

Edited by BeyondTime

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

cfx
1 hour ago, BeyondTime said:

[...] but only if SmD eyes work in DD heads.

They do. They're effectively 24mm. I believe Danny calls them 22mm and the diameter is about that, but they're made like most resin eyes in that, unlike Volks acrylics, they're not a full half-dome but rather a smaller section of a sphere. Anyway, they have the iris height that's typical of 24mm eyes.

Edited by cfx
typo
  • Like 1

BeyondTime
23 minutes ago, cfx said:

They do. They're effectively 24mm. I believe Danny calls them 22mm and the diameter is about that, but they're made like most resin eyes in that, unlike Volks acrylics, they're not a full half-dome but rather a smaller section of a sphere. Anyway, they have the iris height that's typical of 24mm eyes.

Thank you!

Then I would be into the eyes too. Only part I don't need is the body & head.

CrazyDollPerson
3 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

I'd be into buying her wig and outfit. I'd be into the eyes too, but only if SmD eyes work in DD heads.

Here is my Miku with classic Mirai eyes and Sana eyes:

1112566588_ScreenShot2019-05-19at9_35_47PM.png.ace9ff52952bf85ab1276c5b2d3599c7.png1546607187_ScreenShot2019-05-19at9_34_20PM.png.c0c94380624a3af38f6039e4db7b949d.png1141300993_ScreenShot2019-05-19at9_34_09PM.png.227de3026bb4ceb724f139437520a9ce.png1205474172_ScreenShot2019-05-19at9_33_55PM.png.c5038f5a127b8919204f26bb8d93677f.png

• Like 1

BeyondTime

You're Miku looks great, and the eyes look fine to me.

If you decide you want to do it I'm definitely interested in her stuff.

Edited by BeyondTime
  • Like 1

CrazyDollPerson

You're Miku looks great, and the eyes look fine to me.

If you decide you want to do it I'm definitely interested in her stuff.

I posted in the SD group and so far all but her shoes are spoken for...I am just waiting for her to pop up on the site. If any of my buyers back out I will let you know!

lildollface
8 hours ago, jenlovesdolls said:

I am debating on getting Mika and selling everything but the body.

Welp, debate no more- looks like she got sold out pretty quickly 😂 

While I'm disappointed at the higher prices, I can't say that I'm entirely surprised; sometimes, things just don't work as intended. Regardless, I can't wait for Cortex Ninja Grade and Cortex Final Boss Grade, no matter how long it takes. I've been stuck between the Starlight/Infinity/Sana mold and the Trinity/Kizuna Anniversary/Unity molds for the longest time now. The idea of blank sculpts and DIY would be the perfect solution- if only I could decide on which to get first 😅

CrazyDollPerson
8 hours ago, lildollface said:

Welp, debate no more- looks like she got sold out pretty quickly 😂 

While I'm disappointed at the higher prices, I can't say that I'm entirely surprised; sometimes, things just don't work as intended. Regardless, I can't wait for Cortex Ninja Grade and Cortex Final Boss Grade, no matter how long it takes. I've been stuck between the Starlight/Infinity/Sana mold and the Trinity/Kizuna Anniversary/Unity molds for the longest time now. The idea of blank sculpts and DIY would be the perfect solution- if only I could decide on which to get first 😅

I was on as soon as she was posted, so I got her.

She is a higher price because she is a hybrid and limited. I am still curious what the price for non limited FULL cortex will be though. I am in no rush as my bank account needs time to replenish anyway lol

baldylox

Just as a bit more info on the pricing you saw above....

Those dolls are the "curated" dolls that he uses for his display.  That means that they do NOT come with the basic outfit sets.  They come with all sorts of accessories and different shoes.  I know one vinyl SmD doll that sold at a NY con last year came with a necklace, a travel satchel/bag, the big long knee high boots, socks, a shirt, a hat, jeans and a jacket of some kind.  So the pricing is special for the con.  Most of the money is for the clothing and not the dolls.  It's a heck of a deal given what the girls come with so those are actually good prices.  

Now I know that doesn't change the fact that the Cortex setup still seems more expensive than everyone thought but these ARE the most expensive versions as Danny stated before.  The ones with the Cortex heads and hands will be less and then the kit versions you build yourself will be even less.  And I think there's supposed to be a kit version where everything is still on the sprue that will be the lowest pricing of all but don't quote me on that one.  😉

Either way, we haven't seen actual sales pricing for the Cortex in store and online yet so it may still change from what we see at these conventions.  I'm still hopeful for a full Cortex doll with a faceup, eyes, wig and undies for $300 or so.  It's just going to take forever to find out when they'll be available.  :(  Waiting sucks.

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

BeyondTime
19 hours ago, jenlovesdolls said:

I posted in the SD group and so far all but her shoes are spoken for...I am just waiting for her to pop up on the site. If any of my buyers back out I will let you know!

Sounds good. I would need the shoes if no one wants them. One way or the other I am making a Mika and most of her outfit probably won't be too expensive to have tailored. Shoes are a different story.

• Like 1

CrazyDollPerson

Sounds good. I would need the shoes if no one wants them. One way or the other I am making a Mika and most of her outfit probably won't be too expensive to have tailored. Shoes are a different story.

I can put your name on them if you want them. She is supposed to ship May 31st-June 28th depending on where I am in the queue.

BeyondTime
18 minutes ago, jenlovesdolls said:

I can put your name on them if you want them. She is supposed to ship May 31st-June 28th depending on where I am in the queue.

Sure.

Edited by BeyondTime
  • Like 1

Starwaia

Regarding the pricing, I don't think I saw this mentioned earlier (but it's past 3am here and I'm tired so idk if I missed it), but according to the latest newsletter email I got, this will be the price for "DOKOMI exclusive packages" for pickup at the con:

"Smart Doll (with cortex body) = 470 EUR (includes tax) - these include approx 235 EUR of curated apparel."

Now assuming that the price is the same for dolls bought from the website (which, I admit, I doubt since this is supposedly a special deal),

470-235=235 Euros, which converted to USD real quick comes to approx. $262.15 USD without apparel.... which is what I expected tbh, perhaps on the higher end for my price range but I always figured around $250 would be likely.

That said, this IS a special Dokomi deal so there is no way of knowing for sure what the official site price will be, but hopefully the deal is mainly for the clothing set and the Cortex dolls themselves aren't much higher priced than this estimate.

..buut then again I just did the same for the Dokomi full vinyl deal and... 530-235=295 EUR which in USD is $329.16... so yeah, a deal.

I guess that was a waste of time but I suppose someone could compare the price of the vinyl w/o apparel from each method of buying and derive a potential cortex price from that... though that would still just be speculation.... and I won't for now because I really need to sleep. I could really use an official announcement, if that'll ever happen. 

Anyway, I'm waiting for Cortex to finally get Mirai since I can't justify spending full price when she's the most "basic" and for the while most popular before all these new faces started showing up... and I kinda want an "android" body and even though there will never be a robot Smartdoll I actually really like the looks of those seamlines on cortex... for a good price of course. 😉

Anyways I gotta sleep.

ETA: The Dokomi packages will have vinyl heads though I think? So there's that

Edited by Starwaia
quick formatting fix

Got less time to do doll stuff and more time to procrastinate. I'll try to be active here more discussion-wise but no pics or news for a while, unfortunately. Being busy sucks.

Currently watching BNHA, on season 6 and obsessed! (being in a fandom late makes dodging spoilers an issue tho :()
More into Nendoroids than BJDs rn, but I'm waiting for a grail of mine and also hoping to get back into that stuff soon!

Yumeiro

Was just checking the release schedule - it's been updated:

2019/??/?? Cortex Complete (Mirai Anniversary, Gaia) soft launch (very limited numbers)

2019/05/20 Cortex Hybrid Mika Jougasaki pre-orders open

2019/05/31 Cortex Hybrid Mika Jougasaki shipping starts

2019/??/?? Cortex Complete (Mirai Anniversary, Gaia, Melody) official launch + shipping

This is the schedule so far - if what you want is not on the schedule then wait until it is 😉

magique

The lack of a deadline is kinda embarrassing. IDK why he sets them when they keep getting pushed back. 

• Like 4

Tierparkzone

This push back is all the more surprising as most of the dolls displayed in mirai store are cortex nowadays. Although, the heads are probably still vinyl (hard to tell with wigs on - but if they had paint masks for that many cortex heads ready, there likely wouldn't be any reason to delay).

• Like 1

Shailara
On 5/21/2019 at 11:02 AM, Starwaia said:

470-235=235 Euros, which converted to USD real quick comes to approx. $262.15 USD without apparel.... which is what I expected tbh, perhaps on the higher end for my price range but I always figured around $250 would be likely.

This isn't how you should calculate it for the reason that last time he went to Dokomi, he offered Vinyl dolls at the same price as they cost online but including curated apparel. This means that the clothes are more of a "gift" than actually included in the price.
This has made me wonder what his profits are like that he can afford to "gift" $230 of curated apparel per doll XD Crazy!!

(\_/)
( ' .' ) 
( uu)