Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

baldylox

The Facebook debacle & other issues

BeyondTime
44 minutes ago, Wasabi said:

I am surprised to learn that the prototype was not fully functional. I expected her movement to be limited (it was a prototype after all).

It’s always possible that the person who bought it plans to build a proper frame. I could definitely see how someone who has those skills would be more inclined to see this item as a reasonable proposition as a one of a kind item. 

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Katsudon
1 hour ago, Meowjima said:

So, a fair warning to anybody in this thread, or those who say anything negative about SmDs in any doll-centric areas:  People in the Smart Doll facebook groups can and will use anything you say there (or here) as a means to get you essentially excommunicated from all of the facebook hugboes for being a hater.

I was fully exiled from Smart Doll Land for 1.) Saying Batgirl's current outfit looked awful and people should save their money by commissioning something better, and b.) "Constantly being hateful and negative."  I have never said anything particularly mean/negative in te Smart Doll centric groups beyond that.  I have, however, brought up my grievances in this thread and a few general BJD/vinyl groups.

So yeah, watch out.  I know one of the admins/mods of one of the facebook groups IS a member here,  At least one.

Yeah, this thread should come with a warning: post here if you wanna get banned! Because the mildest opinions are spicy in Smart Doll Land (team wasabi secret handshake! 🍣🦑🤟🤝)

The stalking of people who even criticise a tiny bit is a lot gross. It was bad enough when Danny did it. It's worse now, as someone mentioned earlier, he has an inner circle to stalk for him. But hey, maybe that Facebook admin got free Smart Doll boobs or shoes or something for finding your tiny crit of Batgirl, so some good came of it. /s

Damn, I'm in a salty mood today. I promise I'll be nicer soon.

3 hours ago, davidd said:

I guess this means the centaur will not become a full production model, then? That's too bad. Danny seemed quite enthusiastic about the idea, and initially appeared to be making good progress on it. I suppose the tooling and production costs would have been too high to make it cost effective.

I presume even though people seemed really interested in a centaur girl, there probably still wouldn't be enough demand for making a whole bunch of molds for casting the pieces. Even in resin, -taurs tend to be limited dolls. And resin takes way less to turn a profit, because silicone is easier to deal with. Can't imagine how much it would have cost to cast, even before making a skeleton.

It does suck for everyone who wanted one at a full production price. I bet she's huge though, because -taurs tend to be massive.

A faun might have been more realistic? And equally pretty imo.

• Like 3

monkeypizzasonic
4 hours ago, Meowjima said:

So, a fair warning to anybody in this thread, or those who say anything negative about SmDs in any doll-centric areas:  People in the Smart Doll facebook groups can and will use anything you say there (or here) as a means to get you essentially excommunicated from all of the facebook hugboes for being a hater.

I stopped using facebook a long time ago, and I wouldn't want to be part of a fangroup that gets upset over legit criticisms to the point of megabans anyway.

*Cheerfully waves at facebook spies* 

• Like 3

bbotss
2 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

It’s always possible that the person who bought it plans to build a proper frame. I could definitely see how someone who has those skills would be more inclined to see this item as a reasonable proposition as a one of a kind item. 

The person who bought it is the same lady who buys out 90% of the garage most of the time.

• Haha 5

AliensOfGold
3 hours ago, ChrisFhey said:

Sorry, what?! 4.5k? 😲

Have people gone mental?

$5,964.34 in down under dollars.

DollyDearest
15 minutes ago, monkeypizzasonic said:

I stopped using facebook a long time ago, and I wouldn't want to be part of a fangroup that gets upset over legit criticisms to the point of megabans anyway.

*Cheerfully waves at facebook spies* 

yikes.    had no idea we had a "mole"    well now.   Ngl am lil worried now...   *starts* playing with a figit spinner

BeyondTime
1 hour ago, bbotss said:

The person who bought it is the same lady who buys out 90% of the garage most of the time.

XD

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Selenae

Am...am I reading this correctly? A piss-poor prototype of a centaur sold for over 4k USD??? Dear god.

• Like 2

AliensOfGold
35 minutes ago, Selenae said:

Am...am I reading this correctly? A piss-poor prototype of a centaur sold for over 4k USD??? Dear god.

Yep! Nothing new for him though.

$2700 ($3,335 in down under dollars) for a piss poor, same face, circuit lines drawn on with a biro, cyberpunk candidate.

Stormlight

I used googles yen to dollar translation and according to that the centaur was over $6000. And that 3D prototype head was nearly $2000. 

I read the description on the centaur and I’m sorry. Anyone who would drop that much on what essentially amounts to a fixer-upper project is certifiably nuts. And Danny is certainly the biggest scalper I’ve ever come across in this hobby. I think he’s just downright shameful. 

edit: okay read a bit further back and saw centaur sold for $4500, which is still certifiable. I own two Dollmore Trinity girls. 105cm resin dolls with full sets and everything and I think I dropped around that much for BOTH of them (with seam sanding added). Just for a bit of clarification on just how nuts that price is. 

Edited by Stormlight
  • Like 5

Sebby
On 7/6/2021 at 9:33 PM, Meowjima said:

I was fully exiled from Smart Doll Land for 1.) Saying Batgirl's current outfit looked awful and people should save their money by commissioning something better, and b.) "Constantly being hateful and negative."  I have never said anything particularly mean/negative in te Smart Doll centric groups beyond that.  I have, however, brought up my grievances in this thread and a few general BJD/vinyl groups.

So yeah, watch out.  I know one of the admins/mods of one of the facebook groups IS a member here,  At least one.

Honestly, I don't care what people say and do here. I also don't care if people aren't happy with things regarding SmD. You can have your doubts, your disagreements, you can be unhappy about things. In our group though, the rule is to remain respectful. ¥

Edited by Sebby
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

bbotss

I think it's sad that people have to apologize for no reason, when they have zero idea what they have done wrong but still grovel in the hopes of getting off the banlist.

Screenshot_20210707-175920_Facebook.jpg

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

CrazyDollPerson
11 hours ago, bbotss said:

🤣 If it is who I think it is I should have known, I sometimes think she single handedly keeps him in business! She is one of the nicest people though!

Edited by CrazyDollPerson
added something

Katsudon
5 hours ago, WorldofBJD said:

* Waves, coming out of their lurking corner* yeah hi. One of them would be me.

Honestly, I don't care what people say and do here. I also don't care if people aren't happy with things regarding SmD. You can have your doubts, your disagreements, you can be unhappy about things. In our group though, the rule is to remain respectful. But you literally called Danny a d*ck in our group and continued being negative in a non-respectful way.

Ouch, that's a spicy burn! 10/10! 🤣👍

(Real talk: glad you're able to keep stuff separate. I do vent a ton here, but in general I love the dolls. Not gonna take my venting anywhere else, because them's the rules. My Smart Doll is eyeing me as if to say "quit your bitching, you!" Damn, I was gonna try and be less snarky today, and I went and snarked up there!)

13 minutes ago, CrazyDollPerson said:

🤣 If it is who I think it is I should have known, I sometimes think she single handedly keeps him in business! 

I feel totally out of the loop here. 😮 Why am I so drama hungry?

There have been a couple of dolls in the prototype garage that I've genuinely adored. I wish I was lucky enough to be able to afford them. They tend to be vinyl prototypes, so they're the more affordable end of the super expensive dolls. 😭 

• Like 3

Stormlight

I admit some of the prototypes I really like, too. But not nearly enough to drop that kind of cash on one, just for the “privilege” of claiming to own a “ooak” piece. The regular dolls are pricey enough but the prototype prices just go WAY beyond insane. 

Compare a prototype face with a regular face and I just can’t see enough of a difference to justify that kind of pricing. 

Edited by Stormlight
  • Like 2

MaleficentMrsofEvil
17 hours ago, Meowjima said:

<snippy snip snip>

Meh. I already mentioned on the DC collab thread that I'm almost exactly the kind of customer Mr. C doesn't want, and honestly, after seeing a SmD in person, it's not a doll I would want (those grapes were sour anyway!). Smartdolls, as far as I can tell, are made to look pretty - to the detriment of just about everything else; i.e., poseability, price, lack of facial depth, allowing customers to mod their dolls, etc.

After restringing a BJD, I have become the teardown queen. I want to take everything apart and see how it works. I want to swap heads, bodies, joints, clothes - which are basically all no-nos for SmDs. Or so I've read.

So ban away. *shrugs* Won't hurt my feelings. And at least if you're trying to track me down - you're not tracking down a legit customer who wants to keep purchasing SmDs. 

• Like 4

LuluChan
3 hours ago, bbotss said:

I think it's sad that people have to apologize for no reason, when they have zero idea what they have done wrong but still grovel in the hopes of getting off the banlist.

Screenshot_20210707-175920_Facebook.jpg

What I hate most about this is the responses. Every time someone says they have been banned, they're just told to contact CJ to "clear the misunderstanding". But these people literally can't contact CJ! Everyone who has been banned so far has reported being unable to reach CJ. My guess is that their emails are banned. I'm not surprised this person tried contacting Danny directly from a Facebook group, it seems like it would work better than any other option.

And then everyone pretends like it must be a mistake, because accepting that anyone can be banned at any time for any reason would be accepting the system is flawed. And we all know there are no flaws in Smart Doll Land.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Sebby
6 hours ago, Katsudon said:

Ouch, that's a spicy burn! 10/10! 🤣👍

(Real talk: glad you're able to keep stuff separate. I do vent a ton here, but in general I love the dolls. Not gonna take my venting anywhere else, because them's the rules. My Smart Doll is eyeing me as if to say "quit your bitching, you!" Damn, I was gonna try and be less snarky today, and I went and snarked up there!)

I usually just follow this thread to be up to date to all the 'drama' happening, but other than that I don't really do much here (besides popping up ocassionally when stuff is taken out of context like the bacteria thing). What people say here is their choice and as long as they don't say it in our group it's all good. I am not gonna run to an admin like "look at what they are saying!!" (Plus, the thread can be read without having an account soooo... xD ) 

And I know the feeling of having to vent sometimes 🙈

• Like 2

BeyondTime
2 hours ago, WorldofBJD said:

I am not gonna run to an admin like "look at what they are saying!!" (Plus, the thread can be read without having an account soooo... xD ) 

I've said this before: While criticism of company and policy is welcome here, personal insults aren't anymore welcome here that they are in the well run examples of Facebook groups. If any member sees insults in threads, they can use the "Reports" feature to bring it to our attention.

There is an old adage: Hate the sin, and not the sinner. It's a pretty good approach to responding to things that make us angry.

I largely left Facebook, because it's just so toxic due to real world politics. Even real world friends of mine, who are otherwise sane people, go off the deep end on Facebook as soon as left / right politics comes into play.

• Like 7

BeyondTime

Just a reminder, if you have personal disagreements please hash them out in PMs and not on the open forum.

• Like 2

Akito

Well. I just received my first secondhand Smartdoll. I was planning for DD but this happened to be in my region for reasonable price. My opinion of the company/Mister Big Shot still hasn't changed. I did thought about for a week that do I really want to stick my spoon into these. But then I thought that nobody can control my doll hobby (well ok... actually they can but I got this secondhand, HA!), I'm totally gonna give this doll personal look instead of "standard SmD-look", I'm still not gonna buy anything directly from Smartdoll-land, not only because of their policies but also for the fact that their style just won't fit my dolls (or my personal) style. I don't give a *** if Choo is gonna ban me now or somebody else gets hard feelings for me not "obeying the SmD laws". My hobby and I do it as I please.

Just a random rant for the evening, thank you.         

• Like 1

MaleficentMrsofEvil
19 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

Just a reminder, if you have personal disagreements please hash them out in PMs and not on the open forum.

Called it!

I apologize for participating.

Meowjima
10 minutes ago, Akito said:

Well. I just received my first secondhand Smartdoll. I was planning for DD but this happened to be in my region for reasonable price. My opinion of the company/Mister Big Shot still hasn't changed. I did thought about for a week that do I really want to stick my spoon into these. But then I thought that nobody can control my doll hobby (well ok... actually they can but I got this secondhand, HA!), I'm totally gonna give this doll personal look instead of "standard SmD-look", I'm still not gonna buy anything directly from Smartdoll-land, not only because of their policies but also for the fact that their style just won't fit my dolls (or my personal) style. I don't give a *** if Choo is gonna ban me now or somebody else gets hard feelings for me not "obeying the SmD laws". My hobby and I do it as I please.

I know that's the route a lot of people have gone for.  The quality/aesthetic of a lot of his clothing has kind of gone downhill as of late, and a lot of the halfway decent stuf are more or less separates that still have a hefty price.  A lot of people just don't want to wade through the red flags and red tape associated with purchasing from SmD directly.  Right now everybody seems to be playing a game of Russian roulette each time they order.  

• Like 3

Katsudon
12 hours ago, Akito said:

I've seen a bunch of really nice custom dolls, so I look forward to seeing what you do with her! I think the clothes are very much a taste thing. I have the same problem where the clothes they make don't suit my doll plans. For people into that apocalyptic style it's probably fine. Although to be honest I've never been the sort to buy doll clothes, aside from some basics like underwear that I can't be bothered to make myself. 😅

Really, if you can buy from other places, it cuts down on stress a lot. The looming terror of the banhammer is too much!

MaleficentMrsofEvil

I must admit - the very nice collector I met IRL let me see the SmD clothes they had, and the clothing was gorgeous to me. Exactly the sort of aesthetic I prefer: casual and occasionally a little grungy. I'm sad to read on here that you aren't allowed to purchase the clothes without having purchased a doll first (the collector warned me, too). The jeans especially (and a trench coat I saw) were gorgeous, and I love the miniature jeans button on the front. Considering the amount of money I have spent on playline doll jeans from a very talented doll clothing maker in Russia (purchased on Etsy), the amount of money that Mirai Inc. charges doesn't shock me. And as an aspiring doll clothing maker myself, I *get* why doll clothing is so expensive. It's a completely different and much more difficult set of techniques, and specialized fabric is a necessity.

If Mr. C. ever changes his mind about allowing customers to purchase clothing without having first purchased a doll, I would happily snap up some outfits. 

I might also venture that the antics detailed in this thread are only going to be financially feasible for so long. I have already seen complaints in multiple social media forums comparable to what I've read here - and I'm not actively seeking anything out. Once word really starts to get around, Mr. C. may find himself having to change his behavior if he wants to remain in business. But in the interim, I do love a little bit of relatively harmless, messy drama. I mean - I'm sure it sucks to be banned from buying a doll that you really want, but let's be real: nobody's health or life is on the line here.