Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

baldylox

The Facebook debacle & other issues

monkeypizzasonic
29 minutes ago, MaleficentMrsofEvil said:

I must admit - the very nice collector I met IRL let me see the SmD clothes they had, and the clothing was gorgeous to me. Exactly the sort of aesthetic I prefer: casual and occasionally a little grungy. I'm sad to read on here that you aren't allowed to purchase the clothes without having purchased a doll first (the collector warned me, too). The jeans especially (and a trench coat I saw) were gorgeous, and I love the miniature jeans button on the front. Considering the amount of money I have spent on playline doll jeans from a very talented doll clothing maker in Russia (purchased on Etsy), the amount of money that Mirai Inc. charges doesn't shock me. And as an aspiring doll clothing maker myself, I *get* why doll clothing is so expensive. It's a completely different and much more difficult set of techniques, and specialized fabric is a necessity.

If Mr. C. ever changes his mind about allowing customers to purchase clothing without having first purchased a doll, I would happily snap up some outfits. 

Fabric Friends and Dolls sells some of the clothing, you could always try there.

• Thanks 1

Wasabi

I'd also suggest periodically checking Fabric and Friends to see whether they have some of the clothing you like.

And to give a different perspective: I was able to buy Smart Doll option parts from the official store before I bought a doll (which I later bought from the after market). I did get the usual confirmation email, and a second one to make sure that I understood that option parts are not compatible with other doll lines. I replied that the girl I wanted wasn't available at the time, but that I wanted to prepare for her arrival while I waited. After that the order went through without an issue. Later orders from the official store also went through without issue.

MaleficentMrsofEvil
2 hours ago, Yumeiro said:

TTYA is an option

Those beautiful denim boot cut jeans. OMG.

That tiny screaming sound you hear is my wallet crying....

• Like 1

moerunamida

Just an FYI, be careful of the dyes in TTYA's stuff with DDs. Their vinyl is softer and while I never had stains with a Smart Doll, one of my dolls got a light stain from trying on a pair of washed and colorfasted jeans.

• Like 2

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

Meowjima
22 hours ago, MaleficentMrsofEvil said:

I must admit - the very nice collector I met IRL let me see the SmD clothes they had, and the clothing was gorgeous to me. Exactly the sort of aesthetic I prefer: casual and occasionally a little grungy. I'm sad to read on here that you aren't allowed to purchase the clothes without having purchased a doll first (the collector warned me, too). The jeans especially (and a trench coat I saw) were gorgeous, and I love the miniature jeans button on the front. Considering the amount of money I have spent on playline doll jeans from a very talented doll clothing maker in Russia (purchased on Etsy), the amount of money that Mirai Inc. charges doesn't shock me. And as an aspiring doll clothing maker myself, I *get* why doll clothing is so expensive. It's a completely different and much more difficult set of techniques, and specialized fabric is a necessity.

If Mr. C. ever changes his mind about allowing customers to purchase clothing without having first purchased a doll, I would happily snap up some outfits. 

I might also venture that the antics detailed in this thread are only going to be financially feasible for so long. I have already seen complaints in multiple social media forums comparable to what I've read here - and I'm not actively seeking anything out. Once word really starts to get around, Mr. C. may find himself having to change his behavior if he wants to remain in business. But in the interim, I do love a little bit of relatively harmless, messy drama. I mean - I'm sure it sucks to be banned from buying a doll that you really want, but let's be real: nobody's health or life is on the line here. 

TTYA jeans are essentially the same/similar quality, and a lot cheaper.

• Like 3

CrazyDollPerson

I third TTYA! I believe they were the ones that made the jeans for SMD in the beginning. The quality is the same, but as it was said much cheaper.

That is one thing I have to say about CJ stuff is the clothing quality was the best I have seen. I also never had an issue with any of my wigs or shoes, so it was disheartening how the people who did have issues got treated. It isn't like half the stuff going out had issues, so him dragging the few people who did was something that really bothered me. 

I defended him in the beginning, but as time went on either my blinders came off or he really progressed off the rails, maybe a combo of both. I don't know what to make of it, and again, I don't see how he can stay in business much longer like this. Believe me, I am NOT in the camp that believes the customer is always right, and I would love some crappy customers to get their kaka handed to them because I work in retail and have seen so much horrid behavior on the part of customers that I feel some should be banned until they can clean their diapers out and act civilized, could you imagine if he had to deal with THOSE kinds of customers??

• Like 5

Misheru
On 7/8/2021 at 4:00 PM, Akito said:

Well. I just received my first secondhand Smartdoll. I was planning for DD but this happened to be in my region for reasonable price. My opinion of the company/Mister Big Shot still hasn't changed. I did thought about for a week that do I really want to stick my spoon into these. But then I thought that nobody can control my doll hobby (well ok... actually they can but I got this secondhand, HA!), I'm totally gonna give this doll personal look instead of "standard SmD-look", I'm still not gonna buy anything directly from Smartdoll-land, not only because of their policies but also for the fact that their style just won't fit my dolls (or my personal) style. I don't give a *** if Choo is gonna ban me now or somebody else gets hard feelings for me not "obeying the SmD laws". My hobby and I do it as I please.

Just a random rant for the evening, thank you.         

This is exactly how I feel.  I took a chance a few years back and got my beautiful Kizuna secondhand because I loved her but I was not about to give any money directly to DC.  The same goes for my more recent Chistose. Anything I buy that’s CJ, Mirai or SmD brand will never bought directly. I will put no monies in that man’s pocket. 😹

• Like 2

~ Misheru...the *M* in H&M House of Vinyl ~ ℒℴѵℯ❤

( ͒ ु•·̫• ू ͒) ˚₊✩‧ All your dolliehs are belong to us! ✩‧₊˚ ( ͒ ु•·̫• ू ͒)

kranberrijam

https://shop.smartdoll.jp/products/anti-chaos-bundle?_pos=1&_sid=6ab0b4b07&_ss=r&variant=40389665030298

Anyone else see this? It really comes off as if he's walking around the store, picking up trash that they have laying around, tossing it in a box (LOOSE!!), and shipping it, all while charging you a premium. This really takes the cake.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

🍺💅🐙 Linktree : Instagram : TwitterYouTube 🐙💅🍺

931519944_Xakselle_banner_blogger-Copy.jpg.13edd8df929d8ad05e5998f9d5689a19.jpg

BeyondTime
28 minutes ago, kranberrijam said:

https://shop.smartdoll.jp/products/anti-chaos-bundle?_pos=1&_sid=6ab0b4b07&_ss=r&variant=40389665030298

Anyone else see this? It really comes off as if he's walking around the store, picking up trash that they have laying around, tossing it in a box (LOOSE!!), and shipping it, all while charging you a premium. This really takes the cake.

It does sort of reinforce the idea that he’s selling the extras from his personal hobby. I suppose it’s a valid business model if it’s working out and paying his staff. 

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

davidd

Okay, uhm... after reading through the description of the Anti-Chaos bundle, it sounds like you could receive a box of random fabric scraps. Or a bunch of rejected 3D printed parts.

Thirty-thousand yen, or about three-hundred bucks, is that right? ($275 at today's exchange rate.) Plus shipping.

And yet... the Anti-Chaos bundles are sold out!

I wonder how many there were? I wonder if they'll be back the next time the Smart Doll Store custodian sweeps the floor? 

The reason I got blocked by Danny on Instagram, I suspect, is that I mentioned the disparity of wealth that was becoming apparent as Smart Doll sales soared during the pandemic when, at one point, nearly one-third of the workforce in the States was temporarily or permanently unemployed. Well, seeing boxes full of what, I will admit, is clearly described as JUNK sell out at three-hundred bucks apiece pretty much confirms my point. I have to think hard about dropping five dollars on a "blind box" ZURU Surprise Ball, even when I have at least some idea of what the contents might be. Dropping three-hundred... plus shipping... on a box of junk – well, obviously I am no longer the type of customer to which Smart Doll is catering.

Who buys this stuff? Does anybody here on this forum know anybody who has purchased a Smart Doll Anti-Chaos box, or an item from the Garage, or anything "non-standard" from the Smart Doll Store? Or are those buyers so far above and beyond us mere mortals that we could never hope to understand their mindset?

It's true that there are a lot... a lot... of people now who have so much money that the price of things has become so trivial as to be meaningless. Athletes, actors, celebrities, CEOs, tech workers, administrators in government agencies - when salaries are measured in millions, there's simply no way to spend all the money. When salaries are measured in the hundreds of thousands, you can pretty much buy anything you want short of a private island without a second thought. With 8-billion people in the world, catering to the top one percent leaves an enormous customer base... with unlimited money.

Is that what Smart Doll has become? A hobby for the Top One Percent?

Kinda seems like it.

Edited by davidd
typo
  • Like 7

Katsudon

The anti chaos boxes would probably feel better if there was an approximate value to them - ie. you're paying ¥30000 but are guaranteed at least ¥45000 in products? But this is mostly from my experience buying other random boxes/packs, especially of things like fabric offcuts, where a certain amount is guaranteed in order to encourage people to take the plunge on randomness.

What counts as "non standard"? A lot of people buy chaos and pebbles, but I don't think I've seen anyone with a prototype. I have seen people get clothing before it's released 😐 do wonder how that happens.

(¥30000 buys you a loooot of fabric offcuts)

• Like 2

Maia

scraps of fabric for 275 dollars is this for real. I’m just speechless.

Edited by Mars
  • Like 2

AliensOfGold

Reminds me of the junk scene from Labyrinth.

• Like 1

DollyDearest
2 hours ago, kranberrijam said:

mmmmhhmm i saw.  i missed out.   idk what all it was.. but more like baked the cake an then swallowed it whole an got a tummy ache😸 

Edited by wishbearstar

Plumo

Do you think he will one day, like he did when he left amazon, just say "I don't want to work with dolls anymore, goodbye my friends " and close the store?

Monty

I can’t be the only one curious about how these boxes might contain quote unquote ‘reference wigs (not made by us)’, right? So my understanding is that he buys other doll wigs for reference and inspiration, which is fine I guess, but including them in a box like this…is that…allowed?? 

Anyway…I refuse to believe this is anything other than him seeing what he can get away with, and he’s probably just as surprised when stuff sells out. If I had people who would reliably buy literally anything I make a listing for -even when I explicitly tell them not to-, maybe I wouldn’t stop either out of sheer curiosity. I’d definitely wanna know where the fans would draw the line, but I’m starting to suspect there isn’t one for some people.

His core fanbase are very wealthy, so I don’t doubt there are those who think $300 or so just to satisfy the ‘what’s in the box’ curiosity is a trifling amount.

• Like 4

MaleficentMrsofEvil

"Stuff that takes too much effort to create a product detail page for."

Was I the only one thinking, "Well, maybe if you cut back on those mini-novella screeds..." 😜

I kid, of course. I've got no skin in this game. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

moerunamida

As someone who sells (which I think applies to most everyone in this hobby from time to time), I'm yet blown away by the fact that someone wouldn't include a detailed description of the item for their own integrity let alone to avoid buyer's remorse through Paypal. What in the absolute heck?!

• Like 2

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

BeyondTime
1 hour ago, Monty said:

but including them in a box like this…is that…allowed?? 

Probably allowed since it’s basically being sold as a box of junk. Grimy though. 

• Like 3

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Plumo

Is it too much money to use without even having a clue of wtf is inside?

• Like 1

DollyDearest

hmmm too money for a mystery box?    it poses too many questions..    to buy a mystery box or not.  that is the question."

BeyondTime
1 hour ago, Plumo said:

Is it too much money to use without even having a clue of wtf is inside?

It seems like a really risky Lucky Bag.

Wasabi

I am a noob at posting instagram links and I can seem to edit the post above atm so... uhhh... yeah here!