Jump to content

PrettyCranium

Yami Usagi

Baldylox

otakusan

Poofiemus

iomi

Baldylox

archangeli

Juu Yuki

Uriko

Singer Yuna

Baldylox

battrastard

Migon

Error-Chan

Smart doll sculpt chart.

Recommended Posts

Error-Chan
Posted (edited)

So I've been making this chart for a while and will try my best to keep it up to date here too. 

The chart has been updated to three separate charts Girls, Guys and licenced. theses are kept on my Da Sta.sh and you can find full size images of theses HERE

 

spacer.png

spacer.png

smart_doll_chart_limiteds_1_by_ladywolf2

 

Post Updated Last : 04/07/2019

Added Liberty - Cocoa

Added C to dolls that have a cortex version (excluding limited dolls.) (03/08/2019)

 

Added new charts (04/07/2019)

Added Journey - Milk (17/05/2019)

Edited by Error-Chan
updated chart
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1318456551_iconforum1.png.a269b0b1783180a9321ea1253e7030d0.png 660234961_iconforum2.png.59d2cd89863301d16c42e72437657af9.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
baldylox

I had forgotten about this chart until just now.  Thanks so much for putting it up here for everyone to see and use!  It has great info in it.  I had no idea there were so many discontinued dolls now!  Boggles the mind really.  It's also great to see who shares heads because the faceups do a good job of hiding that fact sometimes.

 

Billy


I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Error-Chan
1 minute ago, baldylox said:

I had forgotten about this chart until just now.  Thanks so much for putting it up here for everyone to see and use!  It has great info in it.  I had no idea there were so many discontinued dolls now!  Boggles the mind really.  It's also great to see who shares heads because the faceups do a good job of hiding that fact sometimes.

 

Billy

indeed it is fun to see these dolls specially as not many people will know if they know. I can't work out how to make the image super large here as locking it won't fully zoom in and it's very big so you can see details XD


1318456551_iconforum1.png.a269b0b1783180a9321ea1253e7030d0.png 660234961_iconforum2.png.59d2cd89863301d16c42e72437657af9.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eiko82

Thanks for posting this chart! I'm surprised to see Haruka is the same sculpt as Summer. I thought that she was the same as Mirai.

 

BTW Ebony, Ivory, Cherry and Julia are also discontinued now.

  • Like 2

Living at my place: Rise (DD Rise Kujikawa), Chie (Smart Doll Mirai) and Aisha (Smart Doll Kurenai)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Error-Chan
1 minute ago, Eiko82 said:

Thanks for posting this chart! I'm surprised to see Haruka is the same sculpt as Summer. I thought that she was the same as Mirai.

I thought she was a Starlights for a bit but she was just not right so I asked and Danny let me know which she was so I could put her right. 

4 minutes ago, Eiko82 said:

BTW Ebony, Ivory, Cherry and Julia are also discontinued now.

and I will update this now XD I don't pay that much attention to character dolls as I buy for OCs so don't really need his characters XD


1318456551_iconforum1.png.a269b0b1783180a9321ea1253e7030d0.png 660234961_iconforum2.png.59d2cd89863301d16c42e72437657af9.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
whisski

Thanks so much for posting this chart! It's really helpful for seeing all the sculpts and even discontinued ones that may show up on secondhand markets. I really appreciate it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BottleStar

☹️I am forever going to mourn the discontinuation of the entire F3 row. I haven't been able to find a milk twilight in the after market.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Error-Chan

It is sad that F3 ended and I do love the sculpt (why I have a Twilight for my girl Isolda.) 

Sadly her sales were just not enough and they stopped making her. I hope in the future one will come back at least like her a bit


1318456551_iconforum1.png.a269b0b1783180a9321ea1253e7030d0.png 660234961_iconforum2.png.59d2cd89863301d16c42e72437657af9.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eiko82
21 hours ago, BottleStar said:

☹️I am forever going to mourn the discontinuation of the entire F3 row. I haven't been able to find a milk twilight in the after market.

 

I totally agree. IMO the F3 sculpt was one of the best sculpts Smart Doll ever made. It's such a beautiful, versatile sculpt. I was lucky enough to buy a Kurenai back in the day. Whenever I take her to meets, I always get lots of compliments about her sculpt and it's kinda sad to tell people that she is discontinued. 

Does anyone remember for how long the F3 sculpt was sold? I vaguely remember that it was only about 6-9 months before it was removed from the store. I completely understand that if a product doesn't sell well that it makes sense to discontinue it. But I can't help but think that if Twilight/Kurenai/Moonlight were re-released, they'd do quite well sales-wise.

  • Like 2

Living at my place: Rise (DD Rise Kujikawa), Chie (Smart Doll Mirai) and Aisha (Smart Doll Kurenai)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rainglow

Kurenai was one of the prettiest dolls. Such a nice eye shape between the big Mirai eyes and smaller eyed serious girls. I feel like the head was bound to be discontinued though because of how popular the wide eyed ones are, which is too bad. 

Didn't realize Sana and Infinity were the same sculpt...No wonder I like both lol. Somehow not a fan of the other F4 heads though.

Really helpful chart, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
baldylox

Two things....

 

I pinned this thread because it's a great bit of info and everyone can use the chart.  :)

 

Secondly, the Kurenai/Moonlight head was only in production for around 9 or 10 months before Danny announced that the mold for making it broke.  There was quite a bit of talk about it because it seemed that those girls weren't as popular as the others at the time.  Whether this is true or not is out of my wheelhouse.  But to have a head mold actually break *should* take quite a lot of stress so I'm not sure what caused it to happen.  Others online seemed to think the mold breaking was a hoax to cover for low sales of these girls.  

 

We may never know the truth....

 

😄

 

 

Billy

  • Thanks 1

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Error-Chan
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
6
21 minutes ago, baldylox said:

Two things....

 

I pinned this thread because it's a great bit of info and everyone can use the chart.  :)

 

Secondly, the Kurenai/Moonlight head was only in production for around 9 or 10 months before Danny announced that the mold for making it broke.  There was quite a bit of talk about it because it seemed that those girls weren't as popular as the others at the time.  Whether this is true or not is out of my wheelhouse.  But to have a head mold actually break *should* take quite a lot of stress so I'm not sure what caused it to happen.  Others online seemed to think the mold breaking was a hoax to cover for low sales of these girls.  

 

We may never know the truth....

 

😄

 

 

Billy

1> thank you ^o^ will make it easier to find to update too lol.

 

2>ive seen many reasons one was the sculpt braking which I didn't see personly, then when I asked for the chart  (i asked if he would use the head again of if I should make the line fully discontinued) and he said to make the line discontinued.  and I was sure I saw a answer say that the head was just not popular enough to hold its place on the sight so it was scrapped. 


1318456551_iconforum1.png.a269b0b1783180a9321ea1253e7030d0.png 660234961_iconforum2.png.59d2cd89863301d16c42e72437657af9.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
K-2
Posted (edited)

There are a lot of heating and cooling cycles involved in slush molding. A materials flaw in the mold could show up quickly with all that thermal wear.

Not to mention dumb luck stuff (Oops, it dropped and cracked!).

If the sculpt did prove to be unpopular, there's no reason to believe it won't reappear some time in the future.

Edited by K-2
  • Like 1

MVSig.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eiko82
On 4/30/2019 at 12:55 AM, baldylox said:

Secondly, the Kurenai/Moonlight head was only in production for around 9 or 10 months before Danny announced that the mold for making it broke.  There was quite a bit of talk about it because it seemed that those girls weren't as popular as the others at the time.  Whether this is true or not is out of my wheelhouse.  But to have a head mold actually break *should* take quite a lot of stress so I'm not sure what caused it to happen.  Others online seemed to think the mold breaking was a hoax to cover for low sales of these girls.  

 

 

I always found the story of the mold breaking a bit odd. All of his sculpts are 3D-created, making it safe to assume that Danny has a computer file of each head. So even if the mold did break, I would assume that he could 3D-print it again. I just think that Danny has no interest in doing so. The heads weren't very popular at the time and now, their aesthetic doen't really fit into the SmD heads that he creates now : big-eyed, smiling girls (MF1, F4 and F5) or small-eyed, sexy/grump girls (F6).

  • Like 2

Living at my place: Rise (DD Rise Kujikawa), Chie (Smart Doll Mirai) and Aisha (Smart Doll Kurenai)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mothiraffe
Posted (edited)

I was looking for something like this, thank you so much for making it! It's such a shame about Moonlight, but I hope one day I'll be able to get my own somehow. ^^;

 

EDIT:// MOONLIGHT WAS AVAILABLE IN NEW COCOA?? And I've never heard of Harmony in cocoa before! Aaah, I'd love to have any one of them! I didn't even know some of these dolls existed!

Edited by Mothiraffe
further commentary
  • Like 2

ISO: SmD Oceana, Liberty, Sana (Freckles), Starlight | instagram: lunaraffe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
baldylox
2 hours ago, BeyondTime said:

I had no idea my incoming Kizuna was the same sculpt as Mirai. 

I didn't know that until I had my Mirai in hand.  That was one thing that impressed me about the SmD girls, just changing the makeup made quite a drastic turnabout for how the girl looks.  It's similar to the DDH01 heads, those are extremely versatile and can have so many different styles to them just due to faceup and eye/wig combos.

 

 

Billy


I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tira
On 5/1/2019 at 4:16 PM, Eiko82 said:

 

I always found the story of the mold breaking a bit odd. All of his sculpts are 3D-created, making it safe to assume that Danny has a computer file of each head. So even if the mold did break, I would assume that he could 3D-print it again. I just think that Danny has no interest in doing so. The heads weren't very popular at the time and now, their aesthetic doen't really fit into the SmD heads that he creates now : big-eyed, smiling girls (MF1, F4 and F5) or small-eyed, sexy/grump girls (F6). 

From what I remember reading, while he could 3D print it again, they'd need to cast a new mold for it out of metal, which would be expensive. The sense I got that Danny would rather spend the money on making molds for new heads rather than remaking Kurenai.

It's really disappointing.  To be honest, Kurenai is the only one of his girls I liked that well.  I actually liked it (specifically the milk Twilight) better for Rin Tohsaka than the official Volks version.  (The Volks version is cute, don't get me wrong, but her facial proportions just don't look quite right for the character.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BottleStar
2 hours ago, Tira said:

It's really disappointing.  To be honest, Kurenai is the only one of his girls I liked that well.  I actually liked it (specifically the milk Twilight) better for Rin Tohsaka than the official Volks version.  (The Volks version is cute, don't get me wrong, but her facial proportions just don't look quite right for the character.) 

👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆OMFG- THIS! EVERYTHING!

I HAD SO MUCH COSPLAY PLANNED for my would-be milk twilight! But she ran around the same time we had a loss in the family, so getting the cash together, to get her, was out of the question. By the time I was out of the woods, she was discontinued. 😫She was the last SmD I was really excited for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
K-2
On 5/10/2019 at 6:09 PM, baldylox said:

I didn't know that until I had my Mirai in hand.  That was one thing that impressed me about the SmD girls, just changing the makeup made quite a drastic turnabout for how the girl looks.  It's similar to the DDH01 heads, those are extremely versatile and can have so many different styles to them just due to faceup and eye/wig combos.

I have found this to be true about many doll sculpts. I have well over a dozen Obitsus with the Haruka head and with different face ups, hair, eyes, etc. and they really don't look like they share the same head type. Going into Smart Dolls knowing this, I really was kind of puzzled with the flap about dolls sharing the same sculpt.


MVSig.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

I have read and agree to the Privacy Policy.