Jump to content

PrettyCranium

Yami Usagi

Baldylox

otakusan

Poofiemus

iomi

Baldylox

archangeli

Juu Yuki

Uriko

Singer Yuna

Baldylox

battrastard

Migon

Salica

Fushipa

prototype sales garage

Recommended Posts

Fushipa

Am I the only one that is really appalled by the concept of Smart Doll's prototype sales garage? I used to think it was really cool until I found out that the dolls listed on there are marked up considerably. For example, the super hero candidate adventurer 1 and 2 were each listed for 139000 JPY, or about a whopping 1282 USD. But why? I get that they're "one of a kind" but that price tag seems like one found on the after market, not an original listing. Why would you charge so much for a rough draft? If it was decided that the doll was not deemed good enough to be the master copy, why in the world would you charge so much more for it? Idk, but it honestly really upsets me.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SiofraLu

Honestly I’m a bit confused by the whole thing. Usually artists and companies alike don’t want people getting ahold of their prototypes, molds or casting materials, which is why those things are protected under intellectual property laws. After coming across the social media controversies associated with Danny Choo on this forum, I now see everything he does as slightly suspicious so I just don’t know what to think, other than to be cautious. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sweets

I think the idea is that he's charging for all the research and development that went into the prototype, hence the high price tag. I wouldn't buy one, but it's a smart move to recoup otherwise lost time and money considering the fact that people have actually been buying them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BeyondTime
9 hours ago, Fushipa said:

For example, the super hero candidate adventurer 1 and 2 were each listed for 139000 JPY, or about a whopping 1282 USD. But why? I get that they're "one of a kind" but that price tag seems like one found on the after market, not an original listing. Why would you charge so much for a rough draft?

Prototypes are expensive to produce. It wouldn't surprise me if these cost him more than he is charging.


The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
aurelia

I wouldn't buy one of the dolls myself, but I don't think the concept is inherently bad. It's not as though the people who buy the dolls are purchasing an inferior product, since in my opinion all the prototype dolls have looked very nice so far. As others have said, it's the way to recoup some of the costs of making new dolls while allowing collectors to own a one-of-a-kind item. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fushipa
2 hours ago, sweets said:

I think the idea is that he's charging for all the research and development that went into the prototype, hence the high price tag. I wouldn't buy one, but it's a smart move to recoup otherwise lost time and money considering the fact that people have actually been buying them. 

That's understandable, but prototypes are just a natural part of a development process. I'm certain that the money would easily be made back once the final product is released. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Deyja

I can understand dolls that have different body types or a completely different face mask (and haven't been released) have a higher price tag, but it is nonsense to me to charge $800 upwards for a doll that is just a different coloring (i.e tea Kanata, cocoa Felicity). But to each their own!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Starwaia

I'm pretty sure he says somewhere on that page that there isn't even any guarantee that another version or similar product will never be sold in the future, so if ppl are looking at the price tag on the basis of "its one of a kind" they might be disappointed in the future. Though perhaps that is just my wishful thinking. 

I admit the Melody prototype has really grown on me, I wonder if it would be considered taboo to have a regular SMD customized like that? I've seen mention of a "Sensei" custom out there that presumably was made before the prototype garage opened. But idk how ppl who buy the prototype would feel about a faceup artist copying that version- if the artist would even be willing to do so. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fushipa
21 hours ago, Deyja said:

I can understand dolls that have different body types or a completely different face mask (and haven't been released) have a higher price tag, but it is nonsense to me to charge $800 upwards for a doll that is just a different coloring (i.e tea Kanata, cocoa Felicity). But to each their own!

Right!? The faceplates already exist and are still in use, so no extra work went into production at all. Did you see the first cortex girl prototype that was listed today? My eyes bled when I saw the price tag..... like for real? She's really cute, don't get me wrong, but come on!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Deyja

I did see that and was also blown away! A close, cool $1300 for a cortex doll with a Mirai/Julia face up. I know this is a luxury hobby but dang, I could think of other ways to spend that more wisely. But, whom ever gets her, I hope they love her. My fear with this whole garage thing is scalpers. I know Danny has was to deter this, but this garage thing seems like open season to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eiko82
22 hours ago, Starwaia said:

I admit the Melody prototype has really grown on me, I wonder if it would be considered taboo to have a regular SMD customized like that? I've seen mention of a "Sensei" custom out there that presumably was made before the prototype garage opened. But idk how ppl who buy the prototype would feel about a faceup artist copying that version- if the artist would even be willing to do so. 

 

As you said,  Danny was okay with people replicating the prototypes in the past (like the Sensei prototype). So I would assume that he doesn't mind if people replicate other prototypes now. Tbh even if he did mind now, there isn't much he can do about it. Those prototypes aren't copyrighted.

So I'd go for it if I were you :)

 


Living at my place: Rise (DD Rise Kujikawa), Chie (Smart Doll Mirai) and Aisha (Smart Doll Kurenai)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Victoria

I'm surprised how quick they are gone, tbh. One of the dolls that were added today was even above the 230k yen mark, if I remember it correctly. o.o' Now all of them are gone except for one.

Wth.

I was hoping to get a cute guy below 100k but now I'm glad he has added girls only as I don't like Smart Doll girls in general (at least the ones so far) 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sunlightandtea
On 10/26/2019 at 9:53 PM, Deyja said:

I did see that and was also blown away! A close, cool $1300 for a cortex doll with a Mirai/Julia face up. I know this is a luxury hobby but dang, I could think of other ways to spend that more wisely. But, whom ever gets her, I hope they love her. My fear with this whole garage thing is scalpers. I know Danny has was to deter this, but this garage thing seems like open season to me.

Scalping, I hadn't even thought about that. I personally haven't come across a for sale post for one of those prototypes but I'm curious to see what secondhand prices are. o_0 I can't imagine they'd charge less than 2,000 USD though (if those would actually sell at that price is a different matter).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Victoria
2 hours ago, sunlightandtea said:

Scalping, I hadn't even thought about that. I personally haven't come across a for sale post for one of those prototypes but I'm curious to see what secondhand prices are. o_0 I can't imagine they'd charge less than 2,000 USD though (if those would actually sell at that price is a different matter).

If the prototypes are gone within a few hours, even though they cost between (roughly) 1000 and 2500 USD, I bet there are even people who are willing to pay even higher aftermarket prices. They are one of a kind, so.... 

On the other hand it could also be that these people are just willing to spend sooo much money, if the official store is involved. I have already noticed this phenomenon with certain DD-artists on instagram who are doing customs. If they are putting smth. up for sale, it's almost gone immediately but once a private person is selling these girls second hand, it often takes a good time until it sells, even though they are cheaper.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kranberrijam

249,000 yen for a different faceup? No thank you, I totally believe that is a rip off for what is being offered. At this point, why should Danny ever offer blank heads when he can do this "one offs" at multiple times the price? Make profit, least effort!

  • Like 5

ALITA. Art. Dolls. ALITA. Beer. Nails. ALITA. The Kraken Künstler of the #AlitaArmy.

🍺💅🐙 Blogger : DA : Instagram : Twitter :YouTube 🐙💅🍺

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jenlovesdolls

I don't think the price is bad for a one of a kind, but I think it would be cheaper to just buy the closest doll to what you want and send the head off for repainting. If they didn't sell at those prices I am sure he would lower them but they get snatched up right away!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

I have read and agree to the Privacy Policy.