Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

bigpalebluejuice

prototype sales garage

bigpalebluejuice

Am I the only one that is really appalled by the concept of Smart Doll's prototype sales garage? I used to think it was really cool until I found out that the dolls listed on there are marked up considerably. For example, the super hero candidate adventurer 1 and 2 were each listed for 139000 JPY, or about a whopping 1282 USD. But why? I get that they're "one of a kind" but that price tag seems like one found on the after market, not an original listing. Why would you charge so much for a rough draft? If it was decided that the doll was not deemed good enough to be the master copy, why in the world would you charge so much more for it? Idk, but it honestly really upsets me.

• Like 3

SiofraLu

Honestly I’m a bit confused by the whole thing. Usually artists and companies alike don’t want people getting ahold of their prototypes, molds or casting materials, which is why those things are protected under intellectual property laws. After coming across the social media controversies associated with Danny Choo on this forum, I now see everything he does as slightly suspicious so I just don’t know what to think, other than to be cautious. 

• Like 1

magique

I think the idea is that he's charging for all the research and development that went into the prototype, hence the high price tag. I wouldn't buy one, but it's a smart move to recoup otherwise lost time and money considering the fact that people have actually been buying them. 

BeyondTime
9 hours ago, Fushipa said:

For example, the super hero candidate adventurer 1 and 2 were each listed for 139000 JPY, or about a whopping 1282 USD. But why? I get that they're "one of a kind" but that price tag seems like one found on the after market, not an original listing. Why would you charge so much for a rough draft?

Prototypes are expensive to produce. It wouldn't surprise me if these cost him more than he is charging.

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

aurelia

I wouldn't buy one of the dolls myself, but I don't think the concept is inherently bad. It's not as though the people who buy the dolls are purchasing an inferior product, since in my opinion all the prototype dolls have looked very nice so far. As others have said, it's the way to recoup some of the costs of making new dolls while allowing collectors to own a one-of-a-kind item. 

bigpalebluejuice
2 hours ago, sweets said:

I think the idea is that he's charging for all the research and development that went into the prototype, hence the high price tag. I wouldn't buy one, but it's a smart move to recoup otherwise lost time and money considering the fact that people have actually been buying them. 

That's understandable, but prototypes are just a natural part of a development process. I'm certain that the money would easily be made back once the final product is released. 

moerunamida

I can understand dolls that have different body types or a completely different face mask (and haven't been released) have a higher price tag, but it is nonsense to me to charge $800 upwards for a doll that is just a different coloring (i.e tea Kanata, cocoa Felicity). But to each their own!

• Like 1

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

Starwaia

I'm pretty sure he says somewhere on that page that there isn't even any guarantee that another version or similar product will never be sold in the future, so if ppl are looking at the price tag on the basis of "its one of a kind" they might be disappointed in the future. Though perhaps that is just my wishful thinking. 

I admit the Melody prototype has really grown on me, I wonder if it would be considered taboo to have a regular SMD customized like that? I've seen mention of a "Sensei" custom out there that presumably was made before the prototype garage opened. But idk how ppl who buy the prototype would feel about a faceup artist copying that version- if the artist would even be willing to do so. 

• Like 1

Got less time to do doll stuff and more time to procrastinate. I'll try to be active here more discussion-wise but no pics or news for a while, unfortunately. Being busy sucks.

Currently watching BNHA, on season 4 and obsessed! (being in a fandom late makes dodging spoilers an issue tho :()
More into Nendoroids than BJDs rn, but I'm waiting for a grail of mine and also hoping to get back into that stuff soon!

bigpalebluejuice
21 hours ago, Deyja said:

I can understand dolls that have different body types or a completely different face mask (and haven't been released) have a higher price tag, but it is nonsense to me to charge $800 upwards for a doll that is just a different coloring (i.e tea Kanata, cocoa Felicity). But to each their own!

Right!? The faceplates already exist and are still in use, so no extra work went into production at all. Did you see the first cortex girl prototype that was listed today? My eyes bled when I saw the price tag..... like for real? She's really cute, don't get me wrong, but come on!

• Like 1

moerunamida

I did see that and was also blown away! A close, cool $1300 for a cortex doll with a Mirai/Julia face up. I know this is a luxury hobby but dang, I could think of other ways to spend that more wisely. But, whom ever gets her, I hope they love her. My fear with this whole garage thing is scalpers. I know Danny has was to deter this, but this garage thing seems like open season to me.

r75s0k.gifCircle (Towa) Yui (MDD) Coralie (MDD) 88 (Kizuna AI) 1rukij4.gif

Eiko82
22 hours ago, Starwaia said:

I admit the Melody prototype has really grown on me, I wonder if it would be considered taboo to have a regular SMD customized like that? I've seen mention of a "Sensei" custom out there that presumably was made before the prototype garage opened. But idk how ppl who buy the prototype would feel about a faceup artist copying that version- if the artist would even be willing to do so. 

As you said,  Danny was okay with people replicating the prototypes in the past (like the Sensei prototype). So I would assume that he doesn't mind if people replicate other prototypes now. Tbh even if he did mind now, there isn't much he can do about it. Those prototypes aren't copyrighted.

So I'd go for it if I were you :)

Living at my place: Rise (DD Rise Kujikawa), Chie (Smart Doll Mirai) and Aisha (Smart Doll Kurenai)

Victoria

I'm surprised how quick they are gone, tbh. One of the dolls that were added today was even above the 230k yen mark, if I remember it correctly. o.o' Now all of them are gone except for one.

Wth.

I was hoping to get a cute guy below 100k but now I'm glad he has added girls only as I don't like Smart Doll girls in general (at least the ones so far) 

• Like 2

sunlightandtea
On 10/26/2019 at 9:53 PM, Deyja said:

I did see that and was also blown away! A close, cool $1300 for a cortex doll with a Mirai/Julia face up. I know this is a luxury hobby but dang, I could think of other ways to spend that more wisely. But, whom ever gets her, I hope they love her. My fear with this whole garage thing is scalpers. I know Danny has was to deter this, but this garage thing seems like open season to me.

Scalping, I hadn't even thought about that. I personally haven't come across a for sale post for one of those prototypes but I'm curious to see what secondhand prices are. o_0 I can't imagine they'd charge less than 2,000 USD though (if those would actually sell at that price is a different matter).

• Like 1

Victoria
2 hours ago, sunlightandtea said:

Scalping, I hadn't even thought about that. I personally haven't come across a for sale post for one of those prototypes but I'm curious to see what secondhand prices are. o_0 I can't imagine they'd charge less than 2,000 USD though (if those would actually sell at that price is a different matter).

If the prototypes are gone within a few hours, even though they cost between (roughly) 1000 and 2500 USD, I bet there are even people who are willing to pay even higher aftermarket prices. They are one of a kind, so.... 

On the other hand it could also be that these people are just willing to spend sooo much money, if the official store is involved. I have already noticed this phenomenon with certain DD-artists on instagram who are doing customs. If they are putting smth. up for sale, it's almost gone immediately but once a private person is selling these girls second hand, it often takes a good time until it sells, even though they are cheaper.

• Like 1

kranberrijam

249,000 yen for a different faceup? No thank you, I totally believe that is a rip off for what is being offered. At this point, why should Danny ever offer blank heads when he can do this "one offs" at multiple times the price? Make profit, least effort!

• Like 5

🍺💅🐙 Linktree : Instagram : TwitterYouTube 🐙💅🍺

931519944_Xakselle_banner_blogger-Copy.jpg.13edd8df929d8ad05e5998f9d5689a19.jpg

Kailyn

It isn't my thing but it is someone's thing or it wouldn't sell. If he can get it I don't see why he shouldn't. 

CrazyDollPerson

I don't think the price is bad for a one of a kind, but I think it would be cheaper to just buy the closest doll to what you want and send the head off for repainting. If they didn't sell at those prices I am sure he would lower them but they get snatched up right away!

Lynn

Prowess Semi-real went into the prototype garage. This is what it says about her body: This head will come with the default blue vinyl body packed as a Simplicity Kit.

BLUE?! XD XD I wonder If that is a copy-paste typo or what on Earth is Danny thinking, selling a blue body with a cocoa head? I kinda hope that whoever bought her, would report on some media what it was that he/she actually got.

I'm still giggling here. This certainly made my day. 🤣

• Haha 1

Meowjima

See, it didn't bother me when the prototypes were vinyl, but nowadays a lot of them are 3D printed, and still going for those prices.  

Somebody recently purchased one of the prototype cocoa boy candidates and the 3D printed head was just such subpar quality.  Another girl purchased a prototype with botched face-up, which she repainted/improved (and people were upset at her for it, lmao). 

Edited by Meowjima