The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

OccultBeast

What do you wish you knew before getting your first DD?

Ui-
On 6/6/2020 at 2:09 PM, Conuresans said:

Kinda goes along with what's being said currently but don't settle.

I started the hobby with a floating head I couldn't even get out painted until like, last year. I bought a fullset for a sculpt I was iffish on for the body and while I do enjoy her, she's still not got the same energy as the other girls do? I haven't sent her to get painted yet so I'm hoping if/when I do it fixes things but I feel a bit terrible for it really. Any girls that came in after that were ones I fell in love with and, thankfully, had a multi-year window to sit and look at owner pics and decide (hence why I didn't say when possible as most girls will eventually reappear in some way or another in varying degrees of condition, unlike with BJDs/Resin dolls). 

Also, it's perfectly fine to eventually not feel a need for any other dolls. Yes, DDs/vinyl girls are collectibles. And yes, there's jokes thrown around about them being like chips and needing friends. However, that's the nice part about collections- You have a say in how you do it. You're not required to enter the lottos for the newest girls or join every year's PO project. If you have one girl and you feel that's enough, then you can say that as even on DDII bodies, as old as they are, still serve their purpose. Not quite as well as say as the f3, but still. When I first got into the hobby, I couldn't imagine reaching a point where I wouldn't want another girl. But as the years went by and in recent purchases, I can safely say that I will more than likely reach that point soon as I have maybe 2 girls I know I want to add with MDDs being a later possibility when all is said and done.

DON’T SETTLE. WOW GOOD ADVICE.

I settled. That’s another thing. I bought Towa instead of Ram and Rem when I missed the click war. Got Rem pretty quickly but the. All of the sudden something happened irl and I found Ram but couldn’t afford it (thankfully I got paid 2 hours later and was able to buy her from Mandarake lmao. I get paid on random days and times every week, so it if it were meant to be).

I cannot stress my agreement with what @Conuresans said anymore.  In the past year or two I’ve collected quite a few. I see no stopping point in sight. But I settled on one doll and another doll I didn’t settle and she’s so much better on every level. It makes me want to redo the messed up one. 

ItsMeMichelle

Some really good advice on here for new owners

Gweneveryn

I wish I knew more about the cost of the dolls before getting one.

I wasn't aware of mandarake or even YJA! back then, so I paid slightly more than I should've for my first dollfie (I got her off ebay). Luckily it was not a lot more, but as a newcomer back then knowing what the general pricepoint for a limited dolls would've been very helpful.

• Like 1

Geoffryhawk

I wish I'd known about how inexpensive the parts and bodies were for basic dollfie, and the fact that you didn't need to get a limited full set to own one!

I would always see the crazy prices of sets on Ebay and around the web, but I guess I never though to look at VolksUSA for them, cause I just figured they were all limited and you just had to know when to buy.

But now I have a body and a custom head coming, and it was far less expensive than one of those limited sets.

I always knew I'd end up with more than one vinyl doll after I bought a MDD tho...^^; because once I pop open a doll box I can't stop. (it's why my Granado resin collection go so outta hand ^^; )

I also kinda wish there was better description of how the dolls Feel and Smell...(I know little weird) cause they are Very Nice to touch, and they don't have that acrid odor that fresh Resin can have.

• Like 1

ariesseason

I wish I would have know how intense fun and equally disappointing dolls can be. I love to create new characters and visualize the appearance but then I realize how much work it is (and money) to get all the things together. But this is also the fun part of it, searching for all the stuff you need to create this one special character.

babylily

That vinyl dolls are like Pringles - once you pop, you can't stop! I can really only afford one or two dolls a year, and before I even buy this year's doll, I'm already planning the next one!! They are unbelievably addictive, even more so than resin dolls!

• Like 3

abs2891

I wish I had researched clothing options and issues for doll types a bit more (for example mochi ashi feet).  Not that’d it’d always change my mind about buying a doll, but still, better to know what I’m getting into going in.

Second, be prepared to wait out the after market for a really good deal.  The price I paid for my Miku was not unreasonable, but I have seen some since listed for a bit cheaper, which could have translated to more money for other things instead.

Milk

There's a lot of good advice here already. Don't settle should be underlined twice. It's okay to take your time to really decide which doll you want. During that you can save more money for doll expenses, too!

What I personally wish I'd known beforehand: building up a wardrobe for your doll(s), if you don't want to display the default or singular outfits is a big money sink, too. I feel like I bought already a lot but it's not enough? There's always something missing or a piece which would look perfect on your doll. It just never ends.

• Like 3

At home: Victoria {DD Beatrice}, DD 2B, DD 9S

Waiting for: TinyFox Murphy

Shamrock
On 5/28/2020 at 11:51 AM, cfx said:

I didn't make this mistake, but I could have. I'm glad I didn't buy anything past the first I had, and especially no expensive limited doll, for quite some time, because as I looked at pictures of more and more DDs, my tastes on what I like and what I don't changed quite a bit, to a point that what I initially thought I wanted, I really didn't want after all.

I definitely agree!  As time goes on what we like changes over time and I am slowly started to realize what I like in a BJD/DD

Shamrock
On 3/28/2021 at 6:01 PM, Gweneveryn said:

I wasn't aware of mandarake or even YJA! back then, so I paid slightly more than I should've for my first dollfie (I got her off ebay). Luckily it was not a lot more, but as a newcomer back then knowing what the general pricepoint for a limited dolls would've been very helpful.

Mandarake is great!  I didn't realize the DDs appreciated in price on the second-hand market!  The only doll we bought second-hand, my husband got for me in-person, was Sailor Mars at Mandarake. 

weslie

In response to the initial thread question: I would have liked to have a glimpse into the future of Dollfie Dreams. I started collecting BJDs before DDs were released and when Smart dolls were pre-conceptual. I was in LOVE with Mirai/Candy. Half my life later and there are so many more DDs; I have BJDs, DDs, Smart dolls, I guess I just would have liked to have better self control and more knowledge of YJA and Taobao back then? I was also 14.

Tasuke
On 3/28/2021 at 2:01 AM, Gweneveryn said:

back around 2010/2011, i probably overpaid for my first OBITSU-based Anime doll, -$150.00 USD, shipped-

i'm fairly sure that i likely could have found her for $100 or less,

had i the presence of mind at the time to actually look around some...

Mikuruhearts%207-19-17%205.png?width=192

Edited by Tasuke

2020164095_ANightatKonomi12-18-23550px.Horizont..png.35eaba54e8b03fbe6a7f7cd252209e94.png

ragnamuffin
On 5/28/2020 at 12:13 PM, Selenae said:

for all of my effort I just have not been able to click with her over a year later. I jumped on her on impulse, which was a *massive* amateur move because while I loved her sculpt in photos, it turns out that I hate her pouty upper lip in person, and that I also have problems with the body itself, a wobbly head and uneven legs being the issues.

In relation to this—and I realize this might be impossible for a lot of people—but always try to see the dolls in person if you can, and look up as many owner pics as you can find so you can get a better idea of what they actually look like. Sometimes they just don’t look like they do in the promotional pictures, and you may realize it’s not what you wanted.

This happened with a doll I wanted recently—she sold out online so I went to buy her at the store, but when I saw her in person, I just didn’t feel like she was worth it so I didn’t end up getting her.

On the flip side, sometimes you come across dolls that look amazing in person that you never considered before, and suddenly you have a new money sink 😅

Edited by ragnamuffin
  • Like 3

airi

That a body stocking and wig cap are non-negotiable (at least for me haha)!! I had no idea how easily these dolls could stain. I had read so much about it but thought it wouldn't be that bad. Oh boy was I wrong 😅

aufaits

There are three things I wish I knew before getting my first DD. I wish I knew that there were different models of DD, like DDII, DDIII, DDF3 since I didn't know I ended up buying a DDII for 300$ which was a huuuuge newbie mistake. Second, I wish I knew the right places to buy, like Mandarake, YJA , Taobao, etc. Thirdly, I wish I knew about the huge awesome community behind dollfies!!! 

• Like 1

chef_mai

I wish I knew what I was getting into. This hobby is dangerously addictive and expensive. Each purchase individually doesn't seem like much, but it adds up pretty quickly, especially when you're putting together something custom.

Inevitably, something you got doesn't fit or look quite right, so you end up spending a lot to find that right sculpt, wig, clothing or what have you. I don't mind the process, but it can be potentially quite frustrating to buy things that don't work out.

• Like 2

mahourora

I'd say be mindful about scale! If your doll is going to be your first of that scale, its hard to visualize how big it will really do until you get it! My first dd was a standard dd model, but after getting a mdd i found i much preferred the 1/4 scale! In comparison, personally the 1/3 are too big and a bit overwhelming - they're gorgeous, but just not for me! (Stilll trying to sell my dd hehe) Its not something thats easy to work out if you dont have bjds / dolls prior - but i feel like testing out the scale by measuring and stuff beforehand will help you out!