The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Elivior

Sealant not working after de-staining, help?

Elivior

Hello,

Recently I successfully de-stained a doll around the eyes and lips. I used Removez it stain remover per recommendations I saw online. As I did not have the dedicated cleaner for it, I used the alternative that was listed, white vinegar, to remove the residue. I cleaned with alcohol, mr clean magic eraser, and soap afterwards to be sure. I let it dry for 3 days.

When attempt to seal the doll, where the previous stain remover was goes glossy vs matte (only where I previously de-stained). I wiped the sealant off. Let it dry another 2 days, and reattempted again. It is less so but still drying glossy in those areas with no 'tooth'. Now, I am not sure if its left over residue or the head needs even longer before sealing, as the head in those areas is a little soft/tacky but dry prior to sealing.

Does anyone have experience or suggestions? Your help would be greatly appreciated as I really want to give her a new look, and hope the head isnt ruined. Thanks!

cfx

3 days is nowhere near long enough to wait.

The stain treatments soak into the vinyl, and take a very long time to completely migrate back out. At a minimum, you need to wait several weeks, and more ideally, I'd wait months.

For reference, I had some badly stained body parts that after multiple treatments had areas of the vinyl that were raised. I thought I had ruined the parts by leaving the treatments on too long. These areas finally returned to normal, more or less. This took about a year.

Edited by cfx