Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Sign in to follow this  
Dollfie_Owner_SR71

New to Dollfie Dream and I would like to know some tips when doing a "face-up".

Dollfie_Owner_SR71

Im new to Dollfie Dream and I did a noob attempt at a face up which came out "alright" but I would like to get better. Any tips and tools?

DreamDollDesign

It depends on what tools you're currently using. If you're using a watercolor pencil, the sharper the better. 

Build up your layers. Start light until you really solidify the look you're going for then steadily add more layers, sealing in between. On the upper lashes, start with a lighter color, darken it over several layers, then add in black.

Always always always do your sealing outside or in a well ventilated area, and wear a mask with the proper protective rating. Especially if you're using MSC. 

There are quite a few faceup videos on Youtube that have loads of helpful information and techniques too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

plasticyears

Adding to the comment above, you will find it easier to build up smoother, richer colour if you work in thin layers. You can use pastel dust mixed with water to create easily erasable pigment, and you can blend it like dry pastel too. Mechanical erasers are also great for precision when you need to shape lines/blushing! Having good brushes helps too, like really fluffy ones for blending, and really thin ones for line work (I like sable brushes or synthetic sable). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dollfie_Owner_SR71
8 hours ago, plasticyears said:

Adding to the comment above, you will find it easier to build up smoother, richer colour if you work in thin layers. You can use pastel dust mixed with water to create easily erasable pigment, and you can blend it like dry pastel too. Mechanical erasers are also great for precision when you need to shape lines/blushing! Having good brushes helps too, like really fluffy ones for blending, and really thin ones for line work (I like sable brushes or synthetic sable). 

Never thought of using a mechanical eraser to shape lines.  Thanks for the tips.

• Like 1

Dollfie_Owner_SR71
19 hours ago, DreamDollDesign said:

It depends on what tools you're currently using. If you're using a watercolor pencil, the sharper the better. 

Build up your layers. Start light until you really solidify the look you're going for then steadily add more layers, sealing in between. On the upper lashes, start with a lighter color, darken it over several layers, then add in black.

Always always always do your sealing outside or in a well ventilated area, and wear a mask with the proper protective rating. Especially if you're using MSC. 

There are quite a few faceup videos on Youtube that have loads of helpful information and techniques too. 

What brand of water color pencils do you recommend?

DreamDollDesign

It's been so long since I've done a faceup that I don't know what the best brand is anymore. I've heard really good things about Derwent though.