Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Amerane

Stain prevention?

misskale

I've heard of people using masking tape on things like Sasara's dress and others successfully. So yes, it probably will work.

marisa_doll

hi i have another question

i use a black makeup brush to remove dust from my doll

do you think it could stain? ^^

My SQ Hibiki

I am putting up for adoption a SQ-Lab Ren head on flickr. Contact me for more details!

baldylox
hi i have another question

i use a black makeup brush to remove dust from my doll

do you think it could stain? ^^

I seriously doubt you have to worry about that brush doing any staining. Unless you have it wet and hold it in one place for a long period of time, you will be fine using it.

Billy

I gave up counting the girls I own, they keep multiplying and won't stop.

milkytea

I think that as long as you are using a clean, unused makeup brush, it is very unlikely to stain when you dust your doll. ♥

leitan

okay, i have another question about staining. i do not yet have bodystockings for my dolls. i have a mixture of dark and light clothes. one of my dolls i especially like to dress in black clothes (including socks, so they're skintight). how long is it safe to leave her wearing black clothes in an environment where the temperature is usually between 70-75F? how often should i take them off?

edit: i should add i never keep my dolls in direct sunlight unless i'm photographing them.

PlasticFantastic
okay, i have another question about staining. i do not yet have bodystockings for my dolls. i have a mixture of dark and light clothes. one of my dolls i especially like to dress in black clothes (including socks, so they're skintight). how long is it safe to leave her wearing black clothes in an environment where the temperature is usually between 70-75F? how often should i take them off?

edit: i should add i never keep my dolls in direct sunlight unless i'm photographing them.

Honestly the amount of time it takes to stain varies depending on the fabric. Some black socks may never stain the doll while others can do so in minutes. If it were my DD I wouldn't use them without a body stocking.

DDForum-Signature3.jpg

Please visit my YouTube channel for helpful DD tips, tutorials, and reviews!

baldylox

I don't use body stockings on my girls either. Most of the time when I know the clothes I have for them to wear *may* stain, I soak the clothes for a full day in water and 1 drop of Dawn dishwashing detergent. Then I let them air dry.

So far I have only had some minor stains show up on my girls, all of which were easily treated with Oxy10.

Like PlasticFantastic said, I have some black stockings and socks that haven't stained after being on my girls for several days. I also have some that I left on for only an hour or so and I started to see tiny marks on legs so I took them off and soaked them again. So it depends on the fabric as to whether they will stain quickly or slowly.

Most of the time, my girls wear clothes I know don't stain so I don't have to worry about it. If you want one of your girls to wear dark clothing often, I would go ahead and wash the clothes beforehand and then try them out to see if you have any issues. Or just buy a body stocking and call it a day.

Billy

leitan

thank you both of you for all the advice, it's extremely helpful to me. i plan on purchasing body stockings, but not using them all the time. i'll start washing those dark clothes and just keeping an eye out for hints of markings. i pick a clothing color and style "theme" for each of my dolls that i stick to so only some of them will be wearing the dark clothes anyway (for example my Nia DD i'm dressing her mostly in pale pastel colors and white).

PlasticFantastic

Your other option if you wanted to avoid body stockings and not put your girls at risk is to buy some test vinyl (a bust or legs or whatever really) and use it to test out your clothing before putting it on your dolls. A lot of my girls wear dark clothing and while I do wash some of it, other items (like volks outfits) I do not so a body stocking is essential for me. ^_^

DDForum-Signature3.jpg

marisa_doll

Hello everyone.

i have a new product to recommend!!!

i just tried Panoxyl 10 to remove a stain caused by a metal tweezer

after only 3 hours treatment with no sunlight or lamp the stain is almost invisible

My SQ Hibiki

I am putting up for adoption a SQ-Lab Ren head on flickr. Contact me for more details!

baldylox
Hello everyone.

after only 3 hours treatment with no sunlight or lamp the stain is almost invisible

What kind of stain was it from a metal tweezer? Was it rust? And what is the active ingredient in this? From the name alone it sounds like 10% benzoyl peroxide or similar.

That sounds cool about not having to use a lamp or sunlight to aid the process tho. Did you happen to take any before and after pics? 3 hours of treatment time sounds great, I'm used to several hours a day for several days to get out some stains. But smaller stains have come out in one treatment of about 6-8 hours.

That's great that you found something else that works well tho, thanks for the info!

Billy

marisa_doll
Hello everyone.

What kind of stain was it from a metal tweezer? Was it rust? And what is the active ingredient in this? From the name alone it sounds like 10% benzoyl peroxide or similar.

That sounds cool about not having to use a lamp or sunlight to aid the process tho. Did you happen to take any before and after pics? 3 hours of treatment time sounds great, I'm used to several hours a day for several days to get out some stains. But smaller stains have come out in one treatment of about 6-8 hours.

That's great that you found something else that works well tho, thanks for the info!

Billy

yes, the active ingredient is 10% benzoyl peroxide

unfortunately i did not think to take a before/after pic

the stain wasn't very strong so that may be why it worked so fast. it was a soft grey stain... not sure what it was, some of the metal somehow rubbing into the vinyl and leaving a mark????

strange because the tweezer is meant to be stainless steel

i did think i would have to do this over several days under a lamp, but the electricity metre in the flat cut out (no power) so that is why i didn't use one :p

i was very surprised when i rubbed it off to find the stain pretty much gone

My SQ Hibiki

baldylox

Ahh, thank you Marisa_doll! That's really good that the stain left by "stainless" steel got gone so fast! No probs on before and after pics, I was just wondering, that's all.

Glad to hear it worked out and that you now have a way to get rid of any future stains on your girl.

Billy

battrastard

Just a mention, "stainless steel" means that the steel itself doesn't rust or collect a stain. As a thought, I'd recommend only using dark clothing for a photo shoot or dollfie-meet, then put them back in something "light" if they're going to be in it for a while... *sorry, extremely paranoid of Tana getting stained, so that's what I plan on doing, when she gets more outfits*

"Madness takes it's toll, Please have exact change!"

baldylox
Just a mention, "stainless steel" means that the steel itself doesn't rust or collect a stain. As a thought, I'd recommend only using dark clothing for a photo shoot or dollfie-meet, then put them back in something "light" if they're going to be in it for a while... *sorry, extremely paranoid of Tana getting stained, so that's what I plan on doing, when she gets more outfits*

Good points.

And I do the same thing on all my girls. I'll have darker clothes on them for a meetup or photoshoot but that's it. Otherwise, they stay in lighter colors or outfits I know don't stain. Better safe than sorry.

Billy

PlasticFantastic

Amber and Yuki have been wearing the Stylish Tartan and Rusty Tartan set since the day they showed up here from Volks USA... ^^;

My girls will stay in dark clothing for long periods of time, which is why I have an assortment of body stockings for them. ^_^

DDForum-Signature3.jpg

marisa_doll
Better safe than sorry.

yes

My SQ Hibiki

Milkbiscuit

A few questions that I'm not sure were answered previously here:

1) Is there a difference in staining and the effectiveness of the vinegar rinse when it comes to Volks manufactured clothing?

2) Can DDs stain even with the precaution of wearing a body stocking after long periods of time?

3) After the vinegar rinse, do the clothes end up looking washed out and dull?

I'm getting my very first DD (Aoko!) this week and I've already ordered a Volks body stocking. I'm thinking of keeping her in her default outfit for a looooong time so I'm just worried and paranoid about the issue of staining. I would leave her clothes in that vinegar rinse for a week, if it would help.

Home: Melty, Aoko, Saber A2, MOMO, KOS-MOS, Nanami, Yaya, Yuu-Nii, Kei & Kuu (3x DDH07), Asuna, Rise, Miki, Sakura S, Youmu, Miku

shinegamix

volks body suit might be too t hin. better to look at the thicker coolcat ones

making my triumphant return

PlasticFantastic
A few questions that I'm not sure were answered previously here:

1) Is there a difference in staining and the effectiveness of the vinegar rinse when it comes to Volks manufactured clothing?

2) Can DDs stain even with the precaution of wearing a body stocking after long periods of time?

3) After the vinegar rinse, do the clothes end up looking washed out and dull?

I'm getting my very first DD (Aoko!) this week and I've already ordered a Volks body stocking. I'm thinking of keeping her in her default outfit for a looooong time so I'm just worried and paranoid about the issue of staining. I would leave her clothes in that vinegar rinse for a week, if it would help.

Honestly, my policy is to never wash most Volks clothing for fear of ruining the finish or making it super wrinkly. And I don't buy into the vinegar rinsing.

Volks body stockings are okay but I find that any outfit or item (like shoes) that put pressure onto the body will stain through the Volks body stockings after a time. I highly recommend you invest in some coolcat body stockings for your girl, they're much thicker and I've never had anything stain through them. And as I said almost a year ago:

My girls will stay in dark clothing for long periods of time, which is why I have an assortment of body stockings for them. ^_^

DDForum-Signature3.jpg

Janeway

I agree with PlasticFantastic. I love the cool cat bodystockings and the price is wroth every penny.

Milkbiscuit

Honestly, my policy is to never wash most Volks clothing for fear of ruining the finish or making it super wrinkly. And I don't buy into the vinegar rinsing.

Volks body stockings are okay but I find that any outfit or item (like shoes) that put pressure onto the body will stain through the Volks body stockings after a time. I highly recommend you invest in some coolcat body stockings for your girl, they're much thicker and I've never had anything stain through them. And as I said almost a year ago:

Oh sorry, I actually saw what you wrote but I was wondering if DDs could wear them for say, a year. I should've been more specific >.<

Yeah, I don't really want to ruin the Volks clothing because what an expensive waste that would be..and I'll definitely check out the cool cats body stockings. I'll try to get a mix of nudes and whites. Maybe a couple of head caps. And a stand. And a bag. And wigs and eyes and clothes "OTL

I am going to have so much fun shopping for her but my wallet will be in tears.

Thanks to everyone who suggested cool cats ^^

Home: Melty, Aoko, Saber A2, MOMO, KOS-MOS, Nanami, Yaya, Yuu-Nii, Kei & Kuu (3x DDH07), Asuna, Rise, Miki, Sakura S, Youmu, Miku

Fenris

Would black nylon stain the dolls? I'm talking about the sort of semi-transparent stockings you'd see on volk's or coolcat's bunny suits, they might not be nylon, since I don't own these. If so, would you keep another set of nylon stockings underneath them to avoid staining, or would you just generally not keep your dolls in them for a long period of time?

marisa_doll
Would black nylon stain the dolls? I'm talking about the sort of semi-transparent stockings you'd see on volk's or coolcat's bunny suits, they might not be nylon, since I don't own these. If so, would you keep another set of nylon stockings underneath them to avoid staining, or would you just generally not keep your dolls in them for a long period of time?

I've had a pair of nylon socks that stained.

With anything dark, I think you shouldn't really keep it on the doll longer than the photo-shoot or play-session. There's no point risking it.

I test before I use it. Testing it will see if it stains instantly (instantly can mean the stain appearing anywhere from 0 seconds to 10 minutes after coming in contact with the part). Stains can also occur over a longer period of time.

If it's nylon, the dye could be treatable with vinegar. I've got some nylon black stockings that don't stain though, so you might not need to treat it at all.

With socks the stains tend to appear at friction/pressure points, especially the knee area, foot, and toes.

My SQ Hibiki

baldylox

I have one of the Cool Cats bunny sets with the black stockings and I left it on Manami for a day and a half with no staining at all. I did check on them every so often to make sure nothing was going on and after a few hours in them there weren't any issues so I left them on her overnight without incident.

I also have a nice set of black stockings/bra/panties from Dollmore and those don't stain either.

But I've got black stockings as well as darker colored ones from various other places that DO stain so you have to be careful with some of these. A good way to check for staining is to get an extra DD body part like a hand or foot or shin and wrap a questionable bit of clothing around it and check it periodically for stains. Scripple told me about this method and I thought it was a really good idea. So now I use some old feet I swapped for new ones to test clothes I don't trust.

Billy