The Ecchizonans

Zoom Meetup

Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Monty

End of Production for MDD Base Bodes (Update: New Base Body MDD 2.0 f3)

Monty

I’m as shocked as you. It says the production for all MDD bodies including mochiashi has ended and they will only be sold until current stocks are gone. 

However!

https://dollfie.volks.co.jp/news/notice/20221114_01.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=sns&utm_campaign=DD
It says to look forward to product development which implies something is taking their place. 

Maybe they’re redesigning the shells? That would explain why mochiashi is included - it would be nice to have a mochiashi body where the hips/thigh connection is more natural. 

If there’s a new thing coming I wish they had announced that first rather than this rather dramatic announcement.

Edited by Monty
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 7

Emil
4 minutes ago, Monty said:

If there’s a new thing coming I wish they had announced that first rather than this rather dramatic announcement.

It's... certainly something lol. At first glance I thought it was discontinuation of current standard models since they're past due. MDD is insanely popular, especially in Japan, so I don't doubt there's something to replace them... but the question is what?

MagnoliaCamellia AmaryllisCarnationHyacinth Bluebell | Alyssum ClematisEmilia Dahlia | Gardenia Hydrangea

~ Florens Academy of Witchcraft ~

Monty

Actually… it only mentions base bodies and not individual parts, so it could be the frame…? (Then again, it doesn’t mention individual frame parts being discontinued either…)

BeyondTime

I'm actually surprised it's not DDP they are discontinuing. No option hands or busts, no DDP specific outfits, and no limited dolls since Iori and Yayoi; basically they're already almost a dead product line.

I'd expect that they will do something similar in size to MSD so the clothing lines are compatible. 

• Like 1

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

Monty
26 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

I'm actually surprised it's not DDP they are discontinuing. No option hands or busts, no DDP specific outfits, and no limited dolls since Iori and Yayoi; basically they're already almost a dead product line.

I don’t think this is related to popularity, personally. 
But I know there have been complaints about the MDD f3 frame, and the mochiashi hip silhouette. 
MDD can share clothes with SDM (as well as 1/4 from loads of other companies, which remains a highly  popular size) so I doubt Volks want to change the actual size of them.

If it’s the frame, maybe there will be updates to the other sizes too. I’ve actually seen more complaints about the DDDy f3 than MDD, but that’s just me (and I’ve never handled any version of Dy myself) (edit:I know Dy is the same frame as DD, but for whatever reason I’ve seen people complain about the f3 Dy more. Maybe it’s a coincidence.)

Edited by Monty
  • Like 1

OccultBeast
11 minutes ago, Monty said:

If it’s the frame, maybe there will be updates to the other sizes too. I’ve actually seen more complaints about the DDDy f3 than MDD, but that’s just me (and I’ve never handled any version of Dy myself)

The DDdy f3 hips have the same problem as the Mochi-Ashi hips, which is that the inner peg slides out easily because the thickness of the thigh shell pushes the hips apart when the doll is seated. When you stand them back up, the peg is no longer alligned correctly and one leg falls out at the hip. I've seen loads of people with the Mochi-Ashi body complain again and again about this, and I experience it with my DDdy girl, too.

I'm going to hope I don't regret buying another MDD body last month— if they improve the frame and/or make a boy version I'm going to be very salty about it, even though I will be thankful for either thing.

• Like 1

Deaknaew

personal opinion

does it something problem like child nudity?

Geck_O

This  is a bit of a jaw drop moment, now the question is should we buy bodies now before they're discontinued or wait until what comes next...  I wonder how long the wait will be.

Emil
31 minutes ago, OccultBeast said:

The DDdy f3 hips have the same problem as the Mochi-Ashi hips, which is that the inner peg slides out easily because the thickness of the thigh shell pushes the hips apart when the doll is seated. When you stand them back up, the peg is no longer alligned correctly and one leg falls out at the hip

All you have to do is push the thighs in firmly around the joint while posing them. I do this with both my Dy-f3s and mochi ashi. 

MagnoliaCamellia AmaryllisCarnationHyacinth Bluebell | Alyssum ClematisEmilia Dahlia | Gardenia Hydrangea

BeyondTime
Just now, Emil said:

All you have to do is push the thighs in firmly around the joint while posing them. I do this with both my Dy-f3s and mochi ashi. 

I do that with all of mine. The thighs will work loose with posing on any of them, and the doll will always look nicer with properly seated legs. 

The difference between Dollfie Dreams and Heroin? Heroin is illegal, Dollfie Dreams probably should be.

“Empty wallets, full hearts.” That’s probably an apt description for the effects of DD addiction

0bsequi0us

Wow, this is really shocking! Now I'm glad I bit the bullet and got my hands on one of each. 😱 I'll be excited to see what they replace it with, since this is my preferred size.

I wonder if the integrated Asexual body also being discontinued.

Lynn
1 hour ago, Monty said:

Actually… it only mentions base bodies and not individual parts, so it could be the frame…? (Then again, it doesn’t mention individual frame parts being discontinued either…)

If the base bodies are discontinued, individual parts will follow. It will only take more time. (Volks seems to make at least some individual parts of discontinued bodies, though? I bought DDS III hips and thigs just recently, they were out of stock earlier.) 

I'd really need to buy some MDD hands for my DDP... When they still are available. Others have clearly the same idea. Can't get in Volks' international store... 

Emil
9 minutes ago, Lynn said:

(Volks seems to make at least some individual parts of discontinued bodies, though? I bought DDS III hips and thigs just recently, they were out of stock earlier.) 

They don't, imo it's likely they either have a website limit on how many items can be "in stock", and said limit is lower than the actual item stock, or maybe they "found" stock somewhere (not sure if Volks ever does this, but I've certainly seen other stores happen across older items in a warehouse and re-list them for sale)

26 minutes ago, BeyondTime said:

I do that with all of mine. The thighs will work loose with posing on any of them, and the doll will always look nicer with properly seated legs. 

Agreed, it just happens that my only other f3 is a DDS who stays standing most of the time so I don't have to worry about her 😅

• Like 1

Lynn
18 minutes ago, Emil said:

They don't, imo it's likely they either have a website limit on how many items can be "in stock", and said limit is lower than the actual item stock, or maybe they "found" stock somewhere (not sure if Volks ever does this, but I've certainly seen other stores happen across older items in a warehouse and re-list them for sale)

I see! That explains it. 

chantelle

To be honest, I wonder if they’re announcing this before releasing the new version/alternative so people will panic-buy remaining stock. I remember when they discontinued all those standard models without telling customers that they were going to release new models (Liliru, Karin, Towa) pretty soon afterwards. Not saying that was their intention but its food for thought.

Still extremely shocked/confused though. I was thinking of upgrading my MDD III to an F3 but I think I should hold off for now.

Edited by chantelle

Tierparkzone
14 minutes ago, chantelle said:

To be honest, I wonder if they’re announcing this before releasing the new version/alternative so people will panic-buy remaining stock.

That is certainly a high possibility. - Regarding how popular MDDs are in Japan they'd be stupid not to follow it up with a new version of the body. - Then again, who knows at this point.

Roserolls

Does this mean that they'll be removing Liliru as a standard model too? It seems crazy to suddenly discontinue a whole (extremely popular) size, so I'm betting they're just reworking the appearance of the bodies/their internal frame issues.

Still though, I hope they announce what they're coming out with instead soon. I always hate when companies announce stuff like this to get people to panic-buy, only to come out with an improved version of the product afterwards 😑

chantelle
23 minutes ago, Tierparkzone said:

That is certainly a high possibility. - Regarding how popular MDDs are in Japan they'd be stupid not to follow it up with a new version of the body. - Then again, who knows at this point.

Not making a follow up would basically be the equivalent of throwing a bunch of money into the garbage! I'd be so shocked if they really did go that route but I'm pretty positive there will be a follow up. I wonder what they have in mind though and how different its going to be.

20 minutes ago, Roserolls said:

Does this mean that they'll be removing Liliru as a standard model too? It seems crazy to suddenly discontinue a whole (extremely popular) size, so I'm betting they're just reworking the appearance of the bodies/their internal frame issues.

My guess is that they'll just put her on the follow-up body when it inevitably rolls around. I don't know what will happen in the meantime though. I wonder if they will just let her sell out before replacing her body?

Regarding standard models as a whole, I think Liliru, Karin, Towa, Ribbon, and Coron are here to stay. They hold up pretty well with Volks D'coords and Dream Choice so I don't really think theres a need to replace them quite yet. Mirai and Candy probably aren't going anywhere either (since they are Volk's first models) but I'm surprised they haven't gotten a visual update for a long time, they look pretty dated.

Emil
58 minutes ago, chantelle said:

I remember when they discontinued all those standard models without telling customers that they were going to release new models (Liliru, Karin, Towa) pretty soon afterwards. Not saying that was their intention but its food for thought.

They already did this with the current batch of Super Dollfie standards, patiently waiting to watch it happen once again on the DD side 🤣 They seem to do this every... what, 5-6 years?

5 minutes ago, chantelle said:

Regarding standard models as a whole, I think Liliru, Karin, Towa, Ribbon, and Coron are here to stay. They hold up pretty well with Volks D'coords and Dream Choice so I don't really think theres a need to replace them quite yet.

To be honest, I thought the same of the current resin lineup, but Volks said otherwise. I'd love to see some fresh faces for DD standards. It'd be neat if they added the current girls to Dream Choice some day, tan Towa would be stunning.

Considering they haven't announced anything yet, I wonder if they're working on a new frame (perhaps a new MDD being the testing ground?) and waiting for it to be in production before making a new standard lineup. 

There's also the upcoming 20th anniversary of DD, but I don't remember whether it'll be next year or the year after, since Volks doesn't seem to follow the exact year of the first dolls' production. 

Edited by Emil

Astraea

I really hope they announce whatever they're replacing it with soon, I've been planning to get an MDD or two but haven't gotten things lined up for it to happen yet. It'd be nice to know what's coming up to know if I should wait or try to scramble to get one now in case the replacement is different from what I've been planning.....

I'm sure they'll replace it with something nice but still...

• Like 1

Banders

I wonder if maybe they're revamping the line to fit more characters? MDD has always been a bit of an awkward size compared to other DD lines regarding what style/type of doll works well with the body. I just can't imagine them ending the line for good...

Living with: MDD H01, DDSB Yayoi Takatsuki, DDP Akira, DDS Nia Teppelin

My Instagram ★

Vampurrr

Woah. That's a huge surprise,  though I'm really curious what they will get replaced with.

I was thinking of buying an MDD eventually, so it's now got me more curious as to the future of the MDD line. I doubt they would stop selling smaller ones all together.

archeotech

I'm thinking we might be getting a whole redesign of the MDD body and not just the frame. Perhaps even more variety in body types for the one size? eg a curvier one to suit larger chest sizes and then the usual thinner one?
The MDD has mostly stayed the same since release some 15 years ago apart from the inner frame so will be interesting to see what they come up with. It would be nice to see the torso joint move up to below the bust rather than the middle of the torso and I think adding a little more shape to the bodies would be nice, but hey we'll see what it means. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long.

Roxanne

This is a big surprise to say the least.

I was always under the impression MDD was the best selling one out of all, so this really is a huge surprise. As other's have mentioned already I do not doubt that there will be some kind of a replacement for them. It's just a matter of anxiously waiting to see if we'll like it just as much, that part is always a gamble.

I am happy I was able to pick up a second-hand body for one of my girls earlier today. I didn't even know yet about the discontinuation, but something compelled me to buy it before it was gone. It's almost like I had a feeling (well that and the fact it was priced so well I couldn't resist). I am relieved I was able to get at least this one, as one of my girls really needs it. She was a rescue I adopted from Yahoo Actions. The poor thing was labeled as junk and I was determined to save her and fix her all up! Needless to say that was an expensive investment. She has been with me for quite a while now and only now was I able to get her a new body all her own. (Previously I tried to fix up her old one and invested wrongly in spare parts to try and do so. Sadly enough it wasn't working as the parts weren't compatible. I should have just gotten her a whole new body from the start.)

I am happy I was able to act fast and that I will finally be able to handle my girl without worrying she'll fall apart right at the spot (which she is sadly doing with her current body she came with).

I actually do still need a mochi-ashi body as well. There was also one available but it sold shortly after I got mine. I was surprised but when I saw this topic later on it explained a lot. I guess people all over are panic-buying now as we speak. I do hope I'll be able to get a mochi-ashi body eventually still. They're still a pretty new release so I'm scared they'll be hard to find eventually on the second-hand market. Funds for me are tight now after just getting a regular body, and then there are the future releases coming up I have my eye on as well. Fingers crossed they're only planning to do some small improvement updates! 

My instagram!