Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

missb217

Looking for some opinions pretty please

missb217

So I’m finally going to have enough funds to be able to pick up either an mdd or a ddp. However as we all know they aren’t cheap and so I was hoping I could get some opinions from you lovely people on first which type I should get, and second if I should get one now or get something else like a game system I’ve had my eye on that’s roughly the same price etc. 

thanks in advance! 

Xiongmao

I really love my PS5. I was a Call of Duty player for years but I seem to have switched to Fortnite. It's quite anime influenced so that's a good crossover with dolls.

I have two MDDs and one DDP. I think DDP's really belong in pairs: Koron + Ribbon, Yayoi + Iori. Like actual teens they seem a bit awkward and my Yayoi's arms don't seem to fit her skeleton as well as the other DD sizes.

My regular MDD is a really nice size. My Mochi-Ashi has poseability problems but those legs are just soooo cute.

MDD clothes are much easier to find than DDP. DDS is my favourite DD size, with Uzuki Shimamura probably my favourite of all.

Xiongmao-Signature-Vinyl-Dolls-December-2023.jpg.092aa55b9a3c11160633f60ad1610e7c.jpg 

My Dollfie doll family 😊.

Oculae

Of the two, an MDD is the better size overall if you ask me, purely because they'll be easier to find clothes, accessories, and hands for. The DDP still doesn't have any optional hands made specifically for it, and because it's 50cm, you'll have a hard time finding clothes that'll fit, as it's in between a 1/4 and a 1/3 size. While it can be a fun challenge to take on, as you'll learn a lot about doll measurements, it's not something I'd recommend for a complete beginner.

That being said, Volks recently announced the discontinuation of their current MDD body - lots of people on here are pretty sure it's not permanent and that they're discontinuing this one to prepare for the release of a new one with a better frame, which might be worth waiting for...but a new MDD body hasn't been officially announced, and the current frame is fine if you don't plan on buying a Mochi-Ashi MDD, so if you're worried about the discontinuation being permanent, I'd get one ASAP.

I'm not going to suggest anything on console vs doll - that's up to you, ultimately, to decide which one you'd enjoy more. But assuming you want a doll, I'd go with an MDD, and from there it's up to you to decide whether you wanna wait and gamble on a new body coming out or just get one now.

tumblr_o9govtKpFv1v9twgko1_400.gif.eae368d3c0bfc2a75087167170705ec2.gifPlease ping me when replying!

chantelle

I have both! 

MDD is super cute and childlike. However this means you can’t really make older characters with it unless if its meant to be a chibi. Theres a wide selection of clothing for it (anything labeled MSD not slim MSD will likely fit). Its size makes it very light and portable so you can carry it around. MDD are also the MOST popular DD line so you can find tons of stuff for it. Do note the current MDD bodies is being discontinued but I don’t think MDD as a whole is being retired, they are probably just updating the body.

I don’t have it but there is also the Mochi Ashi MDD body which has chubby legs and hands. Its hip part is the same as a normal MDD so it looks jarring in that area. Some people mod the DDP hip part to fit the Mochi Ashi body. The way the Mochi Ashi body fits clothing is different in the legs so some socks and bottoms for MDD might not fit.

DDP is more mature than DDP. It’s meant to be a young teenager but you can style it to be more or less mature. In this regard, it has more flexibility than the MDD. Most clothing that fits MDD should fit DDP, however the main problem is that bottoms will be short on them. The DDP’s arms are short so it fits long sleeves the same as MDD. They will fit Obitsu 50 clothing well since they are the same height but longer sleeves will be longer for them. There are unfortunately no option parts like hands for it at the moment. It is still lightweight like the MDD so it’s portable. 

Imo I recommend MDD as a starter doll since it has more clothing options and different hands, However I would recommend the DDP if you like the aesthetic better or want a less childlike doll. 

Edited by chantelle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

chantelle

Forgot to mention but there is also a dedicated thread for sharing DDPs so you can see different heads on the DDP there!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

missb217

Oh wow, I had no idea they were discontinuing it, temporarily or permanently. That’s definitely a big thing because if it does end up being permanent we don’t know when they’ll release the new body. 

missb217

Thank you so much! I do really like the size of the mdd, they’re such a lovely size, not too big not too small. 

do they damage easily since they’re vinyl not resin? I’ve heard that the resin ones are very easily broken so I never brought mine out when I had them. 

chantelle
26 minutes ago, missb217 said:

Oh wow, I had no idea they were discontinuing it, temporarily or permanently. That’s definitely a big thing because if it does end up being permanent we don’t know when they’ll release the new body. 

The new body will probably be announced sometime within 2023. I think they are waiting for enough stock of the MDD F3 to deplete.

I assume the new body will most likely be a frame update as opposed to a shell update but I could be wrong since nothing has been stated.

9 minutes ago, missb217 said:

do they damage easily since they’re vinyl not resin? I’ve heard that the resin ones are very easily broken so I never brought mine out when I had them. 

Vinyl is more resilient and less delicate than resin. That being said it does stain more easily which you can treat/fix. This hasn’t happened to me but sometimes parts like the frame can break but Volks has replacement parts so you can fix it easily (unless you have a tan doll). Do note that they only stock parts for the current frame generation and not the old ones.

Edited by chantelle

missb217

Thank you! I probably won’t have her in very dark things and since I sew if I make anything in a darker fabric I can just bite the bullet and line it in like cream flannel or something similar. 

you guys are super helpful and kind so thank you 😊 

• Like 1

ragnamuffin
11 hours ago, missb217 said:

second if I should get one now or get something else like a game system I’ve had my eye on that’s roughly the same price etc.

I also recommend MDD over DDP, but as to whether you should wait and/or use the funds on a gaming system, I’d say that depends on whether (1) you know you’re into dolls and it’s not just a passing fad, and (2) you know more or less which one you want.

It’s a lot to spend on something you might lose interest in, and if you buy a doll you’re not crazy about you might regret it if/when the new body (or a new character) is announced. Basically, make sure it’s something you really want.

Edited by ragnamuffin