Tierparkzone

Frollywog

Veravey

MagicalRozen

Baldylox

Mo3cha

Recommended Tools For Customs?

Mo3cha

Hey, so I've been wanting to do doll faceups for a while, and am finally ready to jump in. I am just wondering what type of pencils/brand I should use. I have noticed that a lot of people also use watercolour pencils instead of regular coloured pencils and am not sure why? 

Also, is Mr. Super Clear just for primer or also a sealant? I appreciate any recommendations!

Grover864

Hi! Not sure how far you've made it in pursuing this, but wanted to chime in if you're still researching. 

If you use Pencils, make sure they are watercolor and not regular colored Pencils. Regular are typically oil based and will permanently stain the vinyl. They are also "waxy" and harder to get color transfer even if you don't care about staining. (Same goes for pastels, no oil based ones)

You can use MSC for both. You want to have a primer / base for several reasons. One is to protect the surface from staining. The other is adhesion. Your materials will apply easier to a primer than vinyl. If you can't spray MSC (good ventilation, weather, temp, etc) you could use a different matte medium. MSC being my favorite, especially for drying times between layers. It is good to lay down a sealer between layers when you are happy with a look so you can remove the next layer easily without messing it all up. Although similar workflows to resin faceup's, not all materials are safe for both. You will want to research what works well for your situation.

Good luck and post pics when you finish! 

Mo3cha
On 2/15/2023 at 2:15 PM, Grover864 said:

Hi! Not sure how far you've made it in pursuing this, but wanted to chime in if you're still researching. 

If you use Pencils, make sure they are watercolor and not regular colored Pencils. Regular are typically oil based and will permanently stain the vinyl. They are also "waxy" and harder to get color transfer even if you don't care about staining. (Same goes for pastels, no oil based ones)

You can use MSC for both. You want to have a primer / base for several reasons. One is to protect the surface from staining. The other is adhesion. Your materials will apply easier to a primer than vinyl. If you can't spray MSC (good ventilation, weather, temp, etc) you could use a different matte medium. MSC being my favorite, especially for drying times between layers. It is good to lay down a sealer between layers when you are happy with a look so you can remove the next layer easily without messing it all up. Although similar workflows to resin faceup's, not all materials are safe for both. You will want to research what works well for your situation.

Thanks for the explanation! I was curious why everyone uses water color pencils 

Chocola
On 2/15/2023 at 2:15 PM, Grover864 said:

What brands are best for the pencils & pastels ? If you know any that are in physical stores like hobby lobby/ joanns / michaels that would be great as well lol ! 

Grover864
9 hours ago, Chocola said:

What brands are best for the pencils & pastels ?

Well, I don't know about "best". Most people it seems buy single pastel sticks from an art store. There are some high dollar pencils and pastels to be had. I went with Staedtler Pencils and artists loft pastels from Michael's and they have worked for me so far. Just make sure whichever brand you get that neither set is oil based. 

• Like 2

0bsequi0us

I've seen a lot of other faceup artists suggest Derwent Inktense watercolor pencils, and I tend to agree! They're a good combination of hard (the pencil stays sharp longer) and pigmented, which is ideal for faceups.

As for pastels, I can't recommend Panpastel enough. They're in a tin and you don't have to scrape them off to use them, and they're super pigmented. The only downside imo is that they come in large single tins that are quite expensive (5-6 USD for one color) but if just get a few they'll last you forever. The colors I use most often are Permanent Red Shade, Burnt Sienna, Red Iron Oxide Shade and black.

Edited by 0bsequi0us
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3